MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W212) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212-109/)
-   -   2014 E350 sport versus luxury differences? (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212/545349-2014-e350-sport-versus-luxury-differences.html)

MVDESQ 06-10-2014 10:29 PM

2014 E350 sport versus luxury differences?

It is time to order my next car. I currently have a 2013 E350 4Matic sport. I love it but lease is nearly up. I'm going to order a 2014 E350 4Matic but I'm not crazy about the 2014 sport look. I do like the 2014 luxury look as I prefer the traditional mercedes grill with hood ornament. What is the real difference between sport and luxury as far as driving and braking? My long term salesman says the luxury is a bit more soft but better looking. I may test drive one soon but just looking for insight before I order.

By the way I drive it about 18,000 miles per year and drive it on windy roads and highways but also on bad NYC roads like the FDR so no matter what I will order it with 17 inch factory wheels and all season tires just like my 2013.

jmg184@aol.com 10-10-2014 07:34 PM

I had 2011 E350 luxury edition and i now have 2014 E350 Sport editon the new ride is a bit firmer, but I think I would be happy if i could take the badge off the hood and put a regular emblem on the hood. My sport edition came standard with 17 inch wheels and it does want to get up and go more than the 2011

pamiboy 10-11-2014 12:21 AM

I thought 2014 sport edition E350s came with 18" wheels as standard. Did you special order your E350?
Other than the low suspension and some differences in gear changes there's not much difference between the luxury and sport versions.

joeyza 10-11-2014 06:35 AM

I own a 2013 luxury and have had a 2014 luxury and a sport as a lower several times. There is no appreciable difference between the two luxury models in driving dynamics. There is however a much firmer ride in the sport model. I drive 20k-25k miles a year over Boston roads and IMHO the luxury model provides a FAR more comfortable experience

As far as driver functionality from model years '13 to '14, the directional and cruise sticks have been swapped (better), but the ECO function of turning the engine off/on is something that I'd disable (worse).

Russ103 10-11-2014 12:34 PM

I think the biggest difference for you (NY roads) would be the 17's vs 18's

El Cid 10-11-2014 01:27 PM

Mine is a 2010 Luxury, but it is still an MB Sports Sedan and drives and handles like one. Before I got mine, I test drove two sports versions and told salesman, either he finds me a luxury to test drive or I get another make. He found one, I drove it and ordered a luxury version. Handling and performance is great.
BTW, the 17" wheels have a lot to do with ride because the tires have a much higher sidewall. The 18" wheels have tires with low sidewalls. This is one reason why luxury versions with 17" wheels will clear obstacles that sports with 18" wheels won't.

dfordham 10-11-2014 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by El Cid (Post 6194621)
BTW, the 17" wheels have a lot to do with ride because the tires have a much higher sidewall. The 18" wheels have tires with low sidewalls. This is one reason why luxury versions with 17" wheels will clear obstacles that sports with 18" wheels won't.

The diameter of the wheels+tires should still be the same whether they are 18" or 17". The suspension of the Lux sits higher, thus it has more ground clearance, allowing it to clear obstacles the Sport might not.

The higher sidewall definitely adds to the ride quality, though.

Regards,
Don

beshannon 10-12-2014 06:24 PM

My 2014 E350 sport has 17" wheels and I love the ride but then again I was driving a BMW 550 with 19" wheels so everything was rough.

I love the ECO as it works great and seems to save me fuel in city driving

Dema 10-13-2014 05:45 PM

Exactly my point, sport looks very ugly. I wish I had luxury to order the car than by off a lot. However wheels look is better for sport. Regarding ride quality and handling, I can't conclude since just tested luxury and didn't get complete impression. Perhaps you can just get sport wheels with luxury package as some compromise.

beshannon 10-13-2014 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Dema (Post 6196636)
Exactly my point, sport looks very ugly.

Many of us disagree.

Russ103 10-13-2014 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Dema (Post 6196636)
Exactly my point, sport looks very ugly.

You're definitely in the minority with that statement, and I feel confident saying that. The difference between Luxury vs. is Sport isn't nearly enough to make one or the other "ugly" but the majority of the Lux buyers don't choose them for their look but for the softer ride.

El Cid 10-14-2014 09:03 AM

Au contraire

Originally Posted by Russ103 (Post 6196836)
You're definitely in the minority with that statement, and I feel confident saying that. The difference between Luxury vs. is Sport isn't nearly enough to make one or the other "ugly" but the majority of the Lux buyers don't choose them for their look but for the softer ride.

Ride was important, but no way I would purchase a sedan with the star grille. I looked very carefully at the styling differences even on the 2010's and very much preferred the styling, inside and outside, of the Luxury over the Sports.
As for current model, would not purchase either version due to front end styling. Mostly the large, gaping, non-functional holes on ends of bumper cover.:zoom:

pamiboy 10-14-2014 11:09 AM

I actually like the sports styling, but wanted the luxury suspension but can't have it both. Therefore got the sports version and not regretting it. Having said that I don't think any particular style is ugly (After all it's a Benz) :).

adelprado 10-14-2014 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by beshannon (Post 6195610)
My 2014 E350 sport has 17" wheels and I love the ride but then again I was driving a BMW 550 with 19" wheels so everything was rough.

I love the ECO as it works great and seems to save me fuel in city driving

The MY 2014 E350 Sport Edition comes standard with 18" wheels, while the Luxury Edition has 17". Did you change to 17" wheel size?

beshannon 10-15-2014 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by adelprado (Post 6198326)
The MY 2014 E350 Sport Edition comes standard with 18" wheels, while the Luxury Edition has 17". Did you change to 17" wheel size?

I chose them at the time of order to soften the ride a bit. Best of both worlds in my opinion.

MBNUT1 10-15-2014 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by El Cid (Post 6197316)
Ride was important, but no way I would purchase a sedan with the star grille. I looked very carefully at the styling differences even on the 2010's and very much preferred the styling, inside and outside, of the Luxury over the Sports.
As for current model, would not purchase either version due to front end styling. Mostly the large, gaping, non-functional holes on ends of bumper cover.:zoom:

+1 Though for the right price I could be persuaded for a new luxury but everything being equal I much prefer the front end of the prefacelift and even it is not my favorite Mercedes design.

bob2chee 10-15-2014 06:43 PM

get the sport package then you can get the luxury grill and hood star. the dealer can do it
or you can get the parts on ebay. I have a 2013 e350 with sport package and luxury grill.

Dema 10-15-2014 09:30 PM

It is surprise for me to be a part of minority. My tastes are usually very common and I generally like MB style over other car makers including BMW, Jaguar, Audi. I do not count makes which are not really focusing on styling, so perhaps only Tesla looks out of the crowd. Front look of sport E lost some classy shape, very ugly big start where distronic equipment is hiding. I am always trying to reach my car from behind to do not get disappointed again with front ugliness.

BeachBunny 10-17-2014 04:59 PM

Sport = ugly.

I don't know if I'm in the minority for saying it, but I do think the "sport" look is UGLY. By no means fugly or Pontiac Aztek, but definitely homely.

A Sport Taxi? Seriously? These marketing people need to get out into the real world a bit more.

With the facelift + upgraded headlamps, the 2014/2015 E-Class in Luxury trim looks a lot like the S from the front & sides.

And when I order mine, it'll be the Luxury model, 17" wheels.

BTW, another Luxury vs. Sport difference is that the gauges will have black dials instead of silver, so I'm told. Still haven't seen a Luxury trim E-Class in the wild yet.

El Cid 10-19-2014 09:38 AM

Those who do not like the Sport may be a minority on this site, but probably not in general MB "E" class ownership. After many other car companies became successful by imitating the traditional MB front end and it continues to be imitated.
One reason for more Sport sales is that many MB purchasers do not even know there is a difference and they take what the dealer has on the lot. Many dealers only order Sport models because they think "Sport" helps to sell the car.
From what I have seen on some "spy" sites the 2016 front end may be different - more traditional grill and less aggressive.

MBNUT1 10-19-2014 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by El Cid (Post 6202748)
Those who do not like the Sport may be a minority on this site, but probably not in general MB "E" class ownership. After many other car companies became successful by imitating the traditional MB front end and it continues to be imitated.
One reason for more Sport sales is that many MB purchasers do not even know there is a difference and they take what the dealer has on the lot. Many dealers only order Sport models because they think "Sport" helps to sell the car.
From what I have seen on some "spy" sites the 2016 front end may be different - more traditional grill and less aggressive.

To me the sport front end doesn't look like an E-Class

El Cid 10-19-2014 04:44 PM

Precisely

Originally Posted by MBNUT1 (Post 6202992)
To me the sport front end doesn't look like an E-Class

Exactly my thoughts. The E should look like the S. Actually I think the C should also, but apparently MB has decided against that. Have these three of the myriad of MB offerings as similarly styled sedans with a traditional MB look.

MBNUT1 10-19-2014 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by El Cid (Post 6203021)
Exactly my thoughts. The E should look like the S. Actually I think the C should also, but apparently MB has decided against that. Have these three of the myriad of MB offerings as similarly styled sedans with a traditional MB look.

Agreed. As a traditionalist it is going to become increasing painful to sift through all the sports to find a luxury as they are rapidly becoming in shorter supply. To me it is bad enough that the grill isn't still attached to the hood. But I can't blame Mercedes as the current market seems to favor the sport look.