MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W212) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212-109/)
-   -   2010 E350 Battery (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212/545481-2010-e350-battery.html)

1guitar 06-11-2014 08:45 PM

2010 E350 Battery

I need to replace the main battery located in the engine compartment of my E350. I have been told that I can't do it myself because once the battery is replaced it needs to be programmed by a MB dealer and only a MB dealer has the software to do it. I did replace the battery on my W211, 2006 E350 4matic and I didn't need any special tools or software. So having said that, if any of you folks knows if only the dealer can really replace the battery on my 2010 E350 or if you have replaced one yourself your input and experience would really be appreciated as I can get a new Duralast H8 battery from Autozone for $195 versus what the dealer wants which is $350 and frankly from what I can see it appears as though all I need to do is just swap out the batteries and that's it, but with a MB, things aren't always as they seem. Thanks for any help that comes my way.
Regards,
Mylo

Dema 06-13-2014 01:17 AM

I can't be certain, but I had roadside assistance for swapping my dead battery, and I believe the technician didn't use any special equipment to program something. But I can be wrong. Entire operation took about 10 minutes.

lsp85 06-14-2014 03:32 AM

If it takes more than 10 minutes you're doing something wrong.

No programming is needed at all. Just make sure that the replacement battery is the same physical size as OEM.

El Cid 06-14-2014 10:21 AM

My battery died at 4 years and one week, so I had Roadside Assistance replace it. No charge for call, but had to pay over $300 for a new battery because warranty had expired one week before. If it had died week earlier, it would have been "free."
Regardless, took tech about 10 minutes or so to do it. Do not recall any programming. Didn't watch all the time, but all I saw him do was put in new one and then start car three times to make sure it worked.
IMPORTANT. The MB replacement battery for over $300 has ONLY a two year warranty. After that, you receive zip if it dies. I verified this with dealer and MBUSA.
Next time I'll have RA jump start it and then drive it to Autozone or Advance or somebody else.

thefisch 06-14-2014 11:00 AM

why does it seem like these consumable parts have a timer in them set when you buy the car to expire right after the warranty is over?

I thought MB RA wasn't free anymore once you are out of warranty. Maybe they didn't charge since you bought the battery. I called them and they told me they charge a la carte now.

El Cid 06-14-2014 11:06 AM

Varies

Originally Posted by thefisch (Post 6073236)
why does it seem like these consumable parts have a timer in them set when you buy the car to expire right after the warranty is over?

I thought MB RA wasn't free anymore once you are out of warranty. Maybe they didn't charge since you bought the battery. I called them and they told me they charge a la carte now.

MBUSA frequently changes the criteria for RA. For me, I purchased the car new from MB dealer in 2009 and/or I get it serviced at least once per year at an MB service center (dealer).
MBUSA could tell you the current criteria.

1guitar 06-14-2014 11:07 AM

I thought MB RA was free for the life of the car. Are you saying they will "show up" for free and than start charging you for all labor & materials? Also, I am about to buy a new battery for my 2010 E350. From all of research I've done the "Odyssey PC1220A" battery look to be about the best of the bunch, at $285 it isn't cheap but I've read the lifespan of their batteries is 5 to 7 years, what brand of battery are you running in your MB? Thanks for the reply.

El Cid 06-14-2014 11:50 AM

RA criteria has changed since 2010

Originally Posted by 1guitar (Post 6073239)
I thought MB RA was free for the life of the car. Are you saying they will "show up" for free and than start charging you for all labor & materials? Also, I am about to buy a new battery for my 2010 E350. From all of research I've done the "Odyssey PC1220A" battery look to be about the best of the bunch, at $285 it isn't cheap but I've read the lifespan of their batteries is 5 to 7 years, what brand of battery are you running in your MB? Thanks for the reply.

RA is free for life of car IF you meet certain criteria. Need to contact MBUSA to find out current criteria.
Have no idea what kind of battery my car now has. I should have looked at it when tech put it in, but I didn't. Probably just has an MB label on it anyway. Regardless, it has ONLY a two year warranty and after that nothing from MBUSA if it dies.

thefisch 06-14-2014 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by El Cid (Post 6073238)
MBUSA frequently changes the criteria for RA. For me, I purchased the car new from MB dealer in 2009 and/or I get it serviced at least once per year at an MB service center (dealer).
MBUSA could tell you the current criteria.

Found the current criteria online and, like you said, you are covered since you bought from dealer prior to 2011. The $100 in paid service at a dealer exception appears to be temporary, good for up to 18 months from the start of 2014. But I could be reading their chart wrong.

I am not covered since my car is out of warranty (no CPO or MB ELW) and I didn't buy from a dealer. Oh well, have AAA and State Farm roadside anyway. I will just call em both and see who gets there faster! :p:

thefisch 06-14-2014 12:38 PM

In my experience, the lifespan of a battery has more to do with the car than the battery. I've tried different brands and haven't found one that outlasts any others like they all seem to claim. I generally look for a 3-4 year free replacement period. Prorated coverage to 5-6 years is a plus. Then the rest is price comparison for the best deal. I assume it is no different for MB since this is a consumable part.

El Cid 06-15-2014 01:27 PM

MB is different

Originally Posted by thefisch (Post 6073290)
In my experience, the lifespan of a battery has more to do with the car than the battery. I've tried different brands and haven't found one that outlasts any others like they all seem to claim. I generally look for a 3-4 year free replacement period. Prorated coverage to 5-6 years is a plus. Then the rest is price comparison for the best deal. I assume it is no different for MB since this is a consumable part.

The battery that came with a new car is warranted for four years/50,000 miles, the new car warranty period. Replaced without charge if fails during that period. No reimbursement (even prorated) if fails after 48 months.
The replacement MB batteries have ONLY a two year warranty and there is no prorated reimbursement after the two years expires.

imaphaetonguy 06-15-2014 02:09 PM

Programming:

I can share this with you from previous BMW experience. When you replace the battery, the BMW dealer has to "program" the car to tell it that the battery is new.

The BMW's software can detect the battery is losing voltage, and has to make adjustments to compensate. What it does, I do not know.

On the BMWs - if you replace the battery and don't reprogram it, the vehicle's software will still make adjustments and compensate as if the battery is going bad. Unless it gets programmed, it does not know that the problem was solved.

Is this system also in MB? Probably.

Perhaps someone has access to a service manual and can verify this for MB.

thefisch 06-15-2014 02:58 PM

anyone use SLA instead of AGM as a replacement?