Print Wikipost

Illuminated Star Installation help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-07-2017, 03:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLC 300
Thumbs up Illuminated Star '17 GLC 300

I recently purchased the star and figured when I did that there would be some instruction as to where to terminate the wiring. There was nothing in the box or in the factory wiring harness bag. I called MB for direction and they said they are not permitted to say - safety concern.
I found this Forum and great info. Thank you. It looks great and will look that much better at night.
Old 05-15-2017, 11:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
15 E350 4Matic
So I finally got around to putting in my Illuminated Star on my 2015 E350.

Here are some pics...

Took My OEM star off

My Blue Illuminated Star

20 Amps Fuse tap to provide power for my star.

Took out Fuse#23.

There you go. My Blue Star installed.

Fuse tap on #23. A bit tricky as there are those square fuses blocking the way on the tap.

My power cable coming out of the fuse box.

Blue Glow in the dark........

Total time less than 30 mins. I got lucky fishing the cable out from the front grill to the side leading to the fuse box.

I also have my star going on and off with the clicking sound. The only way to stop it is to lock my car.

Hope these help out... Good Luck on your Star Mod.
The following users liked this post:
raja777m (05-16-2017)
Old 08-06-2017, 05:20 AM

Mercedes Benz W212 E300 restayling
Please.

Originally Posted by a13482214704
Ph350's post is a little bit off, it comes with the star and two different wires,it DOES NOT come with a ballast. The second generation lights up all the time when the engine is on ( Which is the one I have just installed on my car) , it DOES NOT light up when you just unlock the door. ONLY when the engine is on. The brightness of the star is pretty good at night buy far dimmer than the DLR lights, basically,you can't see it at all under daylight.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261447933097...84.m1497.l2649

Above is the ebay store I bought mine, the seller is a NJ Mercedes dealer, but the parts I received were directly sent from MBUSA , not from the dealer, so I guess the dealer sent the order directly to MBUSA.

I have instructions for both the 1st gen star which only lights up when you unlock the door and shuts down when you start the engine. ( But the brightness is same as the DLR LED)
AND the second gen when it lights up all the time when engine is on ( BUT the brightness is far less than the DLR LED, you can only see it at night)

If anyone need these, just send me the email and I'll be happy to send you the instructions.
Please.Can you send the instructions for the 1-.gen to my email :424233@mail.ru
Old 08-06-2017, 10:01 AM
Banned

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts
2017 W222 AMG S63 Sedan.
FS: Illuminating star connecting harness and IPhone connector

As the title says. I have a brand new and be illuminating star connecting harness as pictured. You will get what you see in the photo. $50 for each connector. Thanks.

Old 09-03-2017, 09:40 PM

E350
Does anyone in nj know someone who can install this for me ? And not the dealer who charges an arm and a leg 😂
Old 09-03-2017, 09:45 PM
Banned

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts
2017 W222 AMG S63 Sedan.
Bump.

Originally Posted by AMGNEEDSPEED
As the title says. I have a brand new and be illuminating star connecting harness as pictured. You will get what you see in the photo. $50 for each connector. Thanks.

Old 09-04-2017, 08:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 678 Likes on 643 Posts
2014 E350 also restored: 1969 Camaro convertible SS 1957 Chevy Belair 2dr hardtop
Originally Posted by Pette25
Does anyone in nj know someone who can install this for me ? And not the dealer who charges an arm and a leg 😂
It would help if you posted where you live unless you do not mind traveling 2 or 3 thousand miles to have it installed.
Old 09-04-2017, 02:31 PM

E350
Originally Posted by dbldpr
It would help if you posted where you live unless you do not mind traveling 2 or 3 thousand miles to have it installed.

i did. I live in northern nj
Old 09-04-2017, 03:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 E350 also restored: 1969 Camaro convertible SS 1957 Chevy Belair 2dr hardtop
Originally Posted by Pette25
i did. I live in northern nj
Just about any audio store should be able to do the install. In northern Illinois I could give you at least a half a dozen places that could do the install reasonable Sorry I cannot help in NJ
Old 09-04-2017, 11:46 PM

E350
Can someone in nj install this for me ?
Old 09-28-2017, 02:22 PM

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
2018 Lexus LC500, 2020 GLE350 4Matic, 2005 Jeep Wrangler
Exclamation

Okay, my illuminated star is installed and looks terrific.

The only issue I have is after the car is turned off (locked or unlocked) the star turns off AFTER all of the other lights on the car turn off. The delay bothers me but I could "live" with it if need be.

However, about 30 seconds later after all lights AND the star are off, the star lights up again all by itself. It continues to do it intermittently long after the car has been turned off and I am concerned about unnecessary battery drain, etc.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance..............
Old 09-28-2017, 03:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by pgolfco

The only issue I have is after the car is turned off (locked or unlocked) the star turns off AFTER all of the other lights on the car turn off. The delay bothers me but I could "live" with it if need be.

However, about 30 seconds later after all lights AND the star are off, the star lights up again all by itself. It continues to do it intermittently long after the car has been turned off and I am concerned about unnecessary battery drain, etc.

Any ideas?

Normal for it to stay on after car is turned off for about 1 minute. Not normal for it to go on after it has gone off unless you opened a door or brushed up against the door handle. Cause could be you are not tapped off the fuse correctly or you are to close to a different fuse. I do not know how to solve that sorry.
Old 09-28-2017, 09:50 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2004 SL500, 2014 E350
Originally Posted by pgolfco

Any ideas?

I think that is typical. If you listen by the fuse box, various relays switch on as the car wakes up and then they turn off. This happens at seemingly random times.

Since this is LED there is not any significant battery drain
Old 10-02-2017, 02:36 AM

2011 E350
Ph350's post is a little bit off, it comes with the star and two different wires,it DOES NOT come with a ballast. The second generation lights up all the time when the engine is on ( Which is the one I have just installed on my car) , it DOES NOT light up when you just unlock the door. ONLY when the engine is on. The brightness of the star is pretty good at night buy far dimmer than the DLR lights, basically,you can't see it at all under daylight.

Above is the ebay store I bought mine, the seller is a NJ Mercedes dealer, but the parts I received were directly sent from MBUSA , not from the dealer, so I guess the dealer sent the order directly to MBUSA.

I have instructions for both the 1st gen star which only lights up when you unlock the door and shuts down when you start the engine. ( But the brightness is same as the DLR LED)
AND the second gen when it lights up all the time when engine is on ( BUT the brightness is far less than the DLR LED, you can only see it at night)

If anyone need these, just send me the email and I'll be happy to send you the instructions.
I need instructions: rredmond23@yahoo.com
Old 02-27-2018, 10:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2014 E350
Just a FYI for those interested. Instead of using Fuse 23, you can also use fuse 9, which is for the front cigarette socket. This will switch the star on with ACC or anytime the car is on, and switch it off when you leave the car. It does not share the fuse with any other circuits as far as I can tell. Fuse 23 is shared with other engine components, which is why some people are having it randomly turning on/off.

Ground wire located below the bracket noted.

I used an add-a-circuit fuse tap located on fuse 9. I also had to drill a small hole in the white part of the housing for the wire to pass through, soldered the connection. This should still be water-tight.
The following 2 users liked this post by HarLam:
mercshepherd (03-12-2019), Top_Speed1 (11-20-2018)
Old 02-28-2018, 02:16 AM

2015 E350 sedan
You say there is no way an E350 With Distronic can have the lighted star?
Old 01-28-2019, 10:55 AM

E350
Originally Posted by ph350
If you go to the trunk and look at the fuse layout sheet, there is a 20 amp fuse(number 23) that you can tap into. The fuse is located in the front driver side when you open the hood. When connected this way, when you unlock/lock the door, it will light up. When the engine is on, it will be on full time. There is no need to hook up the harness, just connect the star directly to this fuse and ground out the other wire.
​​​​​​After few hours searching I read your post and my question is . The star light only goes off when the door lock? Other than that it will stay on at all time even with engine off? Thanks
Old 02-20-2019, 03:41 PM

2019 GLE400

Do you still have the instructions for the illuminated star?

Thanks
Old 02-21-2019, 05:30 PM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
E350
Originally Posted by HarLam
Just a FYI for those interested. Instead of using Fuse 23, you can also use fuse 9, which is for the front cigarette socket. This will switch the star on with ACC or anytime the car is on, and switch it off when you leave the car. It does not share the fuse with any other circuits as far as I can tell. Fuse 23 is shared with other engine components, which is why some people are having it randomly turning on/off.

Ground wire located below the bracket noted.

I used an add-a-circuit fuse tap located on fuse 9. I also had to drill a small hole in the white part of the housing for the wire to pass through, soldered the connection. This should still be water-tight.
This sounds like a great idea, since that lighter is sitting there doing nothing.

When I took mine to a stereo shop to get hooked up to my 2014 E350, they said they couldn't hook up to my HID headlights because they use CANbus. When I suggested they tap into a fuse, they said they couldn't do that for the same reason.

Pretty frustrating for me, as the posts and videos I saw made it look so easy.

Thoughts?

Last edited by fganter; 02-23-2019 at 07:36 PM.
Old 02-21-2019, 08:25 PM

2019 GLE400
It sounds like to me the cigarette socket is the way to go also. Probably don't need to use a circuit with a lot of other electronics. That is where I am going to tap into if I ever get a star. They are backordered from MB
Old 02-21-2019, 08:43 PM

E350
Originally Posted by Jgnobles
It sounds like to me the cigarette socket is the way to go also. Probably don't need to use a circuit with a lot of other electronics. That is where I am going to tap into if I ever get a star. They are backordered from MB
Why pay all that $$ for an MB one, when you can get the same thing for $30 on eBay?
Old 02-26-2019, 08:18 AM

E350
Originally Posted by fganter
This sounds like a great idea, since that lighter is sitting there doing nothing.

When I took mine to a stereo shop to get hooked up to my 2014 E350, they said they couldn't hook up to my HID headlights because they use CANbus. When I suggested they tap into a fuse, they said they couldn't do that for the same reason.

Pretty frustrating for me, as the posts and videos I saw made it look so easy.

Thoughts?
Bump
Old 02-26-2019, 12:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,722 Likes on 1,104 Posts
2016 E350 Sport
This has been discussed in detail. Direct wiring into the headlight area (CANBUS system) is problematic. Lots of things can go wrong with this idea. So the basic option is to wire it into a switchable circuit that will light anytime the car is running.

Wiring to the cigarette lighter switchable circuit looks convenient. But getting the wire from the grille and through the firewall to the center console is a challenge, and will require extra wire.

Instead, you will find that most people run the wire to the forward fusebox. Use a fuse tap, and add the wire to fuse #25, and you will have no problems.
Old 02-26-2019, 04:41 PM

E350
Originally Posted by DFWdude
This has been discussed in detail. Direct wiring into the headlight area (CANBUS system) is problematic. Lots of things can go wrong with this idea. So the basic option is to wire it into a switchable circuit that will light anytime the car is running.

Wiring to the cigarette lighter switchable circuit looks convenient. But getting the wire from the grille and through the firewall to the center console is a challenge, and will require extra wire.

Instead, you will find that most people run the wire to the forward fusebox. Use a fuse tap, and add the wire to fuse #25, and you will have no problems.
Yep. It's these detailed discussions I referenced when I was at the shop.

They said tapping into the fuse box would also be problematic for CANBus. That's when my noodle fried and I decided to ask for some clarity in this forum.

Any additional help clarifying is appreciated.
Old 02-27-2019, 01:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,722 Likes on 1,104 Posts
2016 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by fganter

They said tapping into the fuse box would also be problematic for CANBus. That's when my noodle fried and I decided to ask for some clarity in this forum.

Any additional help clarifying is appreciated.
I installed the aftermarket illuminated star 9 months ago. It is wired to Fuse #25 in the engine compartmant. Since then, the car has been to the dealership for a warranty repair. I was not told of any errors or tracked codes in the system caused by this wiring setup. And I have not seen any warning displays related to it.

So, I think I am safe with the wiring job for this modification.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Illuminated Star Installation help!