MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W212) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212-109/)
-   -   Bluetooth streaming vs Plugging into glove box port (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212/557694-bluetooth-streaming-vs-plugging-into-glove-box-port.html)

DMan918 09-26-2014 02:53 PM

Bluetooth streaming vs Plugging into glove box port

Hi All,

I have a 2011 E550 and have the most recent updates to my Comand software, allowing me to stream music via bluetooth. I have an iPhone 6, and was consideriing getting a 30-pin to lightning adapter so I can plug it in to the glove box port for charging. Other than charging, are there additional benefits to having the iphone plugged in vs streaming via bluetooth? Do you get anything like album artwork? I primarily stream via Pandora or Spotify.

Thanks!

Dema 09-26-2014 03:04 PM

Not sure you can get artwork in command screen yet. In case of iPhone I would recommend direct plug for the following reasons:
1. BT limits quality to 16KHz and also less samples depth
2. MB uses average quality DACs when iPhone uses fine quality
So if your concern is quality then only wired connection
However if you'd like to navigate over music, skip songs and so on and not really care about quality since your collection is primary MP3 files then BT will give you lot convenience. For example I use BT and I never pull phone from my pocket, I sit in the car and music starts playing, I use steering wheels control to find song or album I want to listen to now. I have 4 64Gb memory card with music, so I do not need satellite subscription.

Arrie 09-26-2014 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by DMan918 (Post 6179413)
Hi All,

I have a 2011 E550 and have the most recent updates to my Comand software, allowing me to stream music via bluetooth. I have an iPhone 6, and was consideriing getting a 30-pin to lightning adapter so I can plug it in to the glove box port for charging. Other than charging, are there additional benefits to having the iphone plugged in vs streaming via bluetooth? Do you get anything like album artwork? I primarily stream via Pandora or Spotify.

Thanks!

With the cable connection you get the benefit of browsing thru your music using the Comand control knob but with Bluetooth you need to do it on the phone.

But there I one great benefit with Bluetooth connection- the volume BOOST that improves base a lot. This makes me use the Bluetooth connection over the cable.

aeroconfigs 09-29-2014 07:39 AM

Sometimes I have issues with audio playback not resuming properly on Bluetooth. I have to get out my phone and restart. This is usually when first getting in the car. It doesn't usually get messed up once it's running. Also it doesn't seem to loop through albums, but maybe that's in my phone settings. I have the older ntg 4 system and it's slow connecting to the bluetooth. So it makes things a little annoying to get started. It connects a lot faster on ntg 4.5 and it gives you the album artwork. I don't see it on ntg 4

IPod hookup is much faster and a smoother experience. But there's drawbacks like not being able to stream and having to use iTunes to load music (and my iPod is pretty much full so I hate trying to add stuff and decide what to remove). Its a lot easier on my phone which has like 30 GB to spare. The audio quality is better from the direct line in. You can browse with the wheel and keys to make it faster. Picking up the phone to control the music isn't great but the Bluetooth allows track +/- control, just not browsing like with the iPod hookup.

DMan918 09-30-2014 10:08 AM

Thanks for the responses. Sound quality would definitely be a good reason to plug in. A shame there isn't any album artwork when plugged in though.

Countryloving 03-12-2017 07:34 AM

Newby here , in U.K., my 2017 c class plays Spotify fine over Bluetooth, no artwork though even through cable. iPod touch v4 plays with artwork through cable which is good...perhaps I need a Benz lightning cable for iPhone for the Spotify artwork ? If that makes sense?:)Cheers Gys, Mark

AkaSigFreak 03-12-2017 08:11 AM

I have tried the Bluetooth streaming and was not happy with the audio quality and the occasional glitches/gaps. I use the Multimedia kit connected to a 256gb iPod in the center console.

cetialpha5 03-12-2017 11:05 AM

Does Spotify work with the cable? Mine didn't come with one so I picked one up on eBay, but when I try to use Spotify on my iPod Touch, it won't let me. I don't use iTunes, just Spotify. Worked fine on the W211.

Countryloving 03-12-2017 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by cetialpha5 (Post 7081785)
Does Spotify work with the cable? Mine didn't come with one so I picked one up on eBay, but when I try to use Spotify on my iPod Touch, it won't let me. I don't use iTunes, just Spotify. Worked fine on the W211.

hi there I don't have Spotify on the iPod ( just iTunes music) but Spotify works with or without the cable via my iPhone 6 ( no album artwork either way though with Spotify just with the iPod /iTunes combo) so far ...

jahquan3 03-13-2017 04:21 PM

I almost strictly stream my BT. I have Tidal by the way and love the service. You can choose a Hi-Fi quality version of the app if you like which is much better quality wise IMO then the other services like Spotify.
I have a Pebble smartwatch and use that to scroll in between the songs and I get the artist and song name on my watch. It's extremely convenient and I never have to look at my phone once I start the app/playlist. You can get a smartwatch for less then 60 bucks if you look around I'm sure.

belarus27 03-13-2017 07:09 PM

bluetooth all day
poweramp + its bass/treble and equalizer settings fulfil my needs .... for now
ofcoarse better quality would be a miracle , but im happy atleast not have any issues.

fganter 02-10-2019 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by Dema (Post 6179424)
...I use steering wheels control to find song or album I want to listen to now...

How do you find an album? My 2014 E250 seems to only allow me to skip ahead and back within the current album.