E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

BMW Sept sales - what happened?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 05:24 PM

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts
2018 E300 Luxury - P3 and more
ddeliber: The Genesis may indeed be faster on the track....but what about the SPM (smiles per mile) stats? The Kia Cadenza is a nice car on paper, but very low on my SPM list.
Old 11-25-2014, 08:57 PM

Received 45 Likes on 17 Posts
S213 E450 4Matic, W111 220SE - prior cars: 3x W212, W210 E55 AMG, W202 C43 AMG, W126 300SE
Problem with a Macan is that when you drive it, you'll look like the daughter of a Panamera Turbo or S65 - driving "entrepreneur", who tired of or crashed her Evoque. Should attract an interesting demographic. Only one I have looked at was white with smokers package, 78K MSRP - I hope Porsche can milk this for all it can, as the margins have to be huge.
Old 11-26-2014, 01:57 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Originally Posted by fintail
Problem with a Macan is that when you drive it, you'll look like the daughter of a Panamera Turbo or S65 - driving "entrepreneur", who tired of or crashed her Evoque. Should attract an interesting demographic. Only one I have looked at was white with smokers package, 78K MSRP - I hope Porsche can milk this for all it can, as the margins have to be huge.
And driving an E Class I always got joked with for having an "old ladies/housewives car", or "stodgy old man car".

And having an S Class I got told I have an "old mans car".

The 5 Series is actually pretty neutral in perceived stereotype, interestingly.

It's all about what the cars intent is. The Macan is sportier than almost any 4 door Sedan ever built, has a Porsche esque exhaust note, and is pretty brash in behavior through the refined premium-ness. I think that if we allow paranoias of what demographic we fit into when we drive these cars, there really isn't a convenient car out there that will stroke an ego. It's also so popular that people are paying over MSRP used, good luck getting a penny off new, and many dealers are sold out of allocations not only for the first model year, but through 2015 calendar year. Like any good car, it'll attract a various demographic.

Even when I was considering a Panamera, I had people tell me "don't get that, that's a soccer mom car".

There will always be opinions. Judge the car by its intent, and if the daughters or soccer moms, etc. like that intent, more power to all of us, as they're a huge market and they tend to provide the profits for companies to keep making us these cars with enthusiast intents.
Old 11-26-2014, 07:55 AM

S213 E450 4Matic, W111 220SE - prior cars: 3x W212, W210 E55 AMG, W202 C43 AMG, W126 300SE
Yep, a car for the idle daughters of sketchy "businessmen", in my area, those that are often buying their way in before the axe falls at home - just don't ask where the money comes from. It's only paranoia if we know it's true.

All cars attract a varied group, but...MBs have a stodgy image, BMWs have a dbag image (nothing neutral about that, and it's a case of the relationship between smoke and fire, people who take pride in being "brash"), Audis have a wannabe architect or new dbag image. Lexus has a "I want a MB but am scared of the maintenance" image, Infiniti has a "I want a BMW but am scared of the maintenance" image, etc. Don't get me started on Maserati or the Anglo-German hybrids. YMMV. Macan may have enthusiast capabilities, but the intent is a different demographic entirely. Too small for a soccer mom car, anyway, so it's got that going for it
Old 11-26-2014, 01:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts
E 350
Also remember the relationship between a BMW and a porcupine. ( this is a general perception only... Not my creation ).
Old 11-26-2014, 02:20 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by fintail
Yep, a car for the idle daughters of sketchy "businessmen", in my area, those that are often buying their way in before the axe falls at home - just don't ask where the money comes from. It's only paranoia if we know it's true.

All cars attract a varied group, but...MBs have a stodgy image, BMWs have a dbag image (nothing neutral about that, and it's a case of the relationship between smoke and fire, people who take pride in being "brash"), Audis have a wannabe architect or new dbag image. Lexus has a "I want a MB but am scared of the maintenance" image, Infiniti has a "I want a BMW but am scared of the maintenance" image, etc. Don't get me started on Maserati or the Anglo-German hybrids. YMMV. Macan may have enthusiast capabilities, but the intent is a different demographic entirely. Too small for a soccer mom car, anyway, so it's got that going for it
Soccer mom's will surely continue to populate the Cayenne indeed. The Macan is very clever for Porsche. It's more enthusiast oriented than any sedan they've released, and if you drive one on a track, you'll quickly realize who the car was engineered and designed for. It's a serious performance car with utility and capability that's easily digestible for the masses. I think it's the most versatile vehicle that's ever been released, like the ultimate Swiss army knife. Expansion is much better justified when it proves anything but phoned in.

BMW dbag image is alive and well. But the F10 is almost too conservative to get that image on its own.... It's very "Mercedesified" for a BMW.

.... Though I'll admit to driving more like a dbag since I got one (and always got told I drive MB's like a granny). I dunno what it is, either the way a BMW makes a driver feel overly confident in the cars capabilities, or some magic dbag dust they sprinkle into the cabins of their cars in Bavaria as a sort of addictive tobacco to retain customers.
Old 11-26-2014, 04:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 938 Likes on 685 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
Originally Posted by pamiboy
Also remember the relationship between a BMW and a porcupine. ( this is a general perception only... Not my creation ).
Porcupine??? I thought that it was a cactus
Old 11-26-2014, 04:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
Originally referred to MB owners

Originally Posted by pamiboy
When I first heard this many years ago, it referred to MB owners. Of course there were a lot more MB's back then compared to BMW's - and Lexus, Acura and Infiniti didn't even exist
Old 11-26-2014, 05:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts
2010 E550 4M P2 Distronic, CLK550 Cab P2
Lol, so we drive old lady/man housewife cars and your 5 is somehow different....sure....whatever works for you

Originally Posted by K-A
And driving an E Class I always got joked with for having an "old ladies/housewives car", or "stodgy old man car".

And having an S Class I got told I have an "old mans car".

The 5 Series is actually pretty neutral in perceived stereotype, interestingly.

It's all about what the cars intent is. The Macan is sportier than almost any 4 door Sedan ever built, has a Porsche esque exhaust note, and is pretty brash in behavior through the refined premium-ness. I think that if we allow paranoias of what demographic we fit into when we drive these cars, there really isn't a convenient car out there that will stroke an ego. It's also so popular that people are paying over MSRP used, good luck getting a penny off new, and many dealers are sold out of allocations not only for the first model year, but through 2015 calendar year. Like any good car, it'll attract a various demographic.

Even when I was considering a Panamera, I had people tell me "don't get that, that's a soccer mom car".

There will always be opinions. Judge the car by its intent, and if the daughters or soccer moms, etc. like that intent, more power to all of us, as they're a huge market and they tend to provide the profits for companies to keep making us these cars with enthusiast intents.
Old 11-26-2014, 05:34 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by Airmousam
Lol, so we drive old lady/man housewife cars and your 5 is somehow different....sure....whatever works for you
I'm not stating my opinion. I'm saying what people told me when I had the cars. My GF, friends would joke about my M-B's being that. etc. I'm talking stereotyping. Even a guy who came to look at my most recent E350 said "Why are you driving a car like this anyway? It's for old guys like me".

I'm saying that I haven't really gotten any stereotypes flung at my 5. Except the "douchebag" joke and it's usually me making that one.

I don't care what people say about who drives the 5, I'm not gonna have one anymore in about a month, lol. And really, the point is, every well-selling car will have a stereotype that won't be necessarily desirable for enthusiasts, as they have to, if going by the numbers.
Old 11-26-2014, 10:12 PM

I actually don't mind the Macan too much, I stopped to look at one because I was curious. Ridiculous MSRP turned me off, and I live in an area where they will almost solely go to a certain driver. No doubt it will have positive points, as Porsches usually do, but, if I could blow 80K, I'd be able to blow 120K and buy that new Targa that's just waiting to break.

If I had an X6 or an M car or any 3er or an E60 (F10 is indeed too conservative/respectable, I don't see them being jerks) or hell, most of them, I'd never use my signals, speed like mad, crowd into crosswalks, cut people off, tailgate, etc. I might even have to get an Ed Hardy shirt or a watch with the dimensions of a hockey puck. I'd feel comfortable, as I'd assume other drivers were expecting it

There's even an old set of cartoons about BMW drivers:

Originally Posted by K-A
Soccer mom's will surely continue to populate the Cayenne indeed. The Macan is very clever for Porsche. It's more enthusiast oriented than any sedan they've released, and if you drive one on a track, you'll quickly realize who the car was engineered and designed for. It's a serious performance car with utility and capability that's easily digestible for the masses. I think it's the most versatile vehicle that's ever been released, like the ultimate Swiss army knife. Expansion is much better justified when it proves anything but phoned in.

BMW dbag image is alive and well. But the F10 is almost too conservative to get that image on its own.... It's very "Mercedesified" for a BMW.

.... Though I'll admit to driving more like a dbag since I got one (and always got told I drive MB's like a granny). I dunno what it is, either the way a BMW makes a driver feel overly confident in the cars capabilities, or some magic dbag dust they sprinkle into the cabins of their cars in Bavaria as a sort of addictive tobacco to retain customers.
Old 12-02-2014, 01:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 E350 RWD, 2003 Aprilia RSV1000 Tuono
Originally Posted by K-A
Even when I was considering a Panamera, I had people tell me "don't get that, that's a soccer mom car"
What? Where are these people from?

So I want to be a soccer Mom then.
Old 12-02-2014, 07:02 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by Bigglen1
What? Where are these people from?

So I want to be a soccer Mom then.
Yeah, made no sense to me either. Suburban area. People will find a stigma for any car really.