MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W212) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212-109/)
-   -   Voice control more distracting than cell phones! (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212/559210-voice-control-more-distracting-than-cell-phones.html)

El Cid 10-07-2014 03:26 PM

Voice control more distracting than cell phones!

AAA Traffic Safety Foundation and University of Utah have released results of a study on distracted driving. Voice command systems are more distracting than using a hand held device. MB's system was one of worst. Toyota's and Hyundai's weren't too bad.
However, appears that all are too distracting.
I would imagine that touch screens are even more distracting.

BenzV12 10-08-2014 04:50 AM

That's surprising , honestly even changing radio stations can be distracting :nix:

KEY08 10-08-2014 08:18 AM

This trend will continue

It will only get worse. That is why we have distronic and auto braking systems. We need that driverless car so we can continue to talk and push buttons. Seriously, how else did anyone expect this studies' results to be any different?

Live Oak 10-08-2014 03:29 PM

Careful study of the reports I saw suggests that they placed major emphasis on stuff like navigation, touch screens, functional adjustments to the car, music/radio.

While they mentioned phone calls, those involving texting, especially by voice, seemed to get the most attention.

I had the impression that phone calls initiated/answered by voice were not a big contributor to the issue. And I suspect that's what we find the most useful.

C280 Sport 10-08-2014 06:53 PM

I saw this on CNBC yesterday. There statement is silly. Reason being anything can be distracting. A phone, radio, navigation screen, nagging wife, driving to fast and look cool, kids yelling, admiring the girls next to you in the car. There are so many distractions when it comes to driving that it goes well beyond a cell phone or mobile device. The more crap you have in a car to more the driver will not pay attention to driving. I think more people should try and drive a old manual transmission Ferrari 348 Challenge :) No radio, no heat or ac, just one seat. Just a car. We would have better drivers lol

C280 Sport 10-08-2014 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by KEY08 (Post 6190998)
It will only get worse. That is why we have distronic and auto braking systems. We need that driverless car so we can continue to talk and push buttons. Seriously, how else did anyone expect this studies' results to be any different?

Truth^
Sad that many people want more more technology because they want to play on their cellphone, push more buttons and not pay attention to driving. Some people should just take a bus to work, a taxi and if you are wealthy enough just have a driver for you. It is mind-blowing how many bad drivers old and young are out there.

Alex.currie44 10-09-2014 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by El Cid (Post 6190310)
AAA Traffic Safety Foundation and University of Utah have released results of a study on distracted driving. Voice command systems are more distracting than using a hand held device. MB's system was one of worst. Toyota's and Hyundai's weren't too bad.
However, appears that all are too distracting.
I would imagine that touch screens are even more distracting.

Have you seen the screen in the Tesla? It is bigger than a lot or RV TVs.
I do have to admit that at times the MB voice control for number entry, calling from the address book and entering Nav details by voice can be frustrating. Then again Siri is a pain in the backside too.

KEY08 10-09-2014 01:32 PM

That Jumbotron in the Tesla is ridiculous. I don't know why so many people go gaga over it.

Alex.currie44 10-09-2014 01:41 PM

You know, if MB can disable the video on their cars while in gear, why is it so difficult to make cellphones etc. inoperable by hand if moving faster than a walking speed? Making GPS mandatory in all phones and unable to be shut off and they would cut out automatically. Hell, my Garmin in my R170 changes from black to red the instant I go 1 km over the speed limit and will change the speed limit sign within 3 ft of crossing into the new zone so it is possible to do this.

El Cid 10-09-2014 03:05 PM

GREED

Originally Posted by Alex.currie44 (Post 6192652)
You know, if MB can disable the video on their cars while in gear, why is it so difficult to make cellphones etc. inoperable by hand if moving faster than a walking speed? Making GPS mandatory in all phones and unable to be shut off and they would cut out automatically. Hell, my Garmin in my R170 changes from black to red the instant I go 1 km over the speed limit and will change the speed limit sign within 3 ft of crossing into the new zone so it is possible to do this.

The device (and car) manufacturers want to sell more products at highest profit possible.
That's why unfortunately the government has had to step in so many, many times to force manufacturers, companies and others to do the right thing. Sad but true.

KEY08 10-11-2014 02:45 PM

The words "convenience" and "experience" have taken over the automotive world and it will continue.

Alex.currie44 10-11-2014 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by KEY08 (Post 6194671)
The words "convenience" and "experience" have taken over the automotive world and it will continue.

And in the course of events have created something worse than texting.
Personally, given the power all this stuff would work only when the car is stationary. I would allow voice dialling and call answering only through car systems. No hand held devices.
Maybe we need to slow down a bit and relax. 3 minutes at the side of the road is a tiny break and will save lives including our own or our love ones.

aeroconfigs 10-13-2014 06:56 AM

It just needs to be more smoothly integrated. Of the ones I've used, Mbs system is one of the worst in terms of voice control. The stupid lady asks you like 18 different questions before you can start nav, and if you make one mistake, you have to start over because the logic is poorly designed. Combine that with the underwhelming poi search algorithm and you have a recipe for disaster.

I never use it when driving and especially not if there's anyone else in the car. For one, it's embarrassing that a car of this quality has such a poor system. Also, it's unsafe as the study has shown.

KEY08 10-13-2014 10:18 AM

would you like to enter a streeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet? Yeah, she is very annoying.

sharpxia 10-13-2014 04:29 PM

Then should we asking Mercedes to unlock the Navi Address entry from the nobs during driving for us? I really like to use the nob than voice, my BMW let me do that.

KEY08 10-13-2014 04:34 PM

The touch screens seem to work the best in my experience. I have owned multiple Hondas and Acura's and they are the best. I just bought my daughter a new 2015 Honda Fit with Navi. The Navi and phone integration rocks in that thing!

Dema 10-13-2014 05:39 PM

Indeed surprising that it is so destructing in my Lexus and it can't take any numbers, so making me mad and I was about to crash my car several times. Certainly Toyota paid that guys to do not look so bad.
MB works much better, and I do not have a problem with numbers, but I have to admit I have very thick European accent, so it can be the reason.

ttoE550 10-13-2014 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by Alex.currie44 (Post 6192652)

I read this article recently. It surprised me at how difficult it can be.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/14/bu...e-driving.html