E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Rear ended

Old 11-25-2014, 08:28 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,351 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
I hear you guys, the pictures don't lie do they? I just hate K-K-K-Kia's......even that fancy K900 or whatever it is
Old 11-25-2014, 09:37 PM

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts
2018 E300 Luxury - P3 and more
noka/DerekACS: I've seen Pious drivers speeding a few times, but not hugely so. I think we have a different demographic in Florida for Prius buyers than many other parts of the continent.

Just thinking out loud... maybe Toyota really does love real drivers. The LFA is a good car, for example. Maybe they're helping the real drivers by helping the Prius-types self-select their removal from society. Maybe they're really onto something here. I say we all start pooling money together to buy Priuses for people we don't like. I'll throw $20 towards the cause.
Old 11-25-2014, 09:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
e550
Originally Posted by DerekACS
Yes, I concur with your observation about some Prius drivers ! On a recent tour through eight western states, my wife and I noticed a good number of Prius drivers speeding past us on Interstate highways. And I usually drive a good 10-15 kph above the speed limit.

If those Prius drivers only knew how unsafe their cars really are !!!
I feel sorry for the crash test dummies and the mannequins with impact buttons too.

Last edited by wanderfalke; 11-25-2014 at 09:50 PM.
Old 11-25-2014, 10:33 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,883 Likes on 1,320 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Yet the 2014 Kia optima (a more worthy Kia to compare to an e class, no?) got an overall 5 stars and the 2014 e class got 4 stars in these ratings ... They must have tested the wrong e class

Cars tend to do worse in those off angle tests I hear as in the pic of the Kia and Prius.. That Prius looks like a death trap!

Lol, who got so stuck on Kia??? You don't need to spend Benz money to drive a safe new car. I wouldn't be caught in a Kia if they handed them out, but I'm realistic about why I bought a Benz... It's says bad *****-f---a on it!!!

Hey op... Did they give u the estimate yet??
Old 11-26-2014, 01:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E3504MATIC
Quick Update: Just got a call indicating its totaled. Details yet to come. Had a hint from the shop but it was more like a hunch.. shop guy was a bit cagey but hinted there was a chance of it getting totaled.. so kinda like border line.. I believe estimate came in at 13 g with a potential 3g more later plus diminished value of sub 2k etc.. I have not had a rental but that would have come into play as well.. since shop indicated if it was going to be repaired it wouldnt be before christmas time.. whatever. Payment should take care of loan. I might get a little for my trouble.. So I guess it wasnt meant to be.. me and new to me merc. As a side note, moral of the story is dont owe more than its worth.. more closer to wholesale value the better.
Old 11-26-2014, 03:46 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
E550
What a shame!

Could you sue the pickup driver for the difference in small claims court?
Old 11-26-2014, 03:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'15 E350 4M Sport
Here I thought it was largely cosmetic . In any case, I guess the age and mileage didn't justify repair Maybe if it was brand new they would have fixed it.

Any idea what you will get to replace it?
Old 11-26-2014, 05:28 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Out of curiosity, what state was that in?

Originally Posted by noka
OT: About the Prius, ever notice how these drivers are some of the worst speeders on the road, or is it just me?... and with that poor crash protection too!
Prius drivers are the worst, always. The most self-entitled drivers out there, if we're stereotyping.

Also, doesn't surprise me that they totaled it. W212's aren't at the highest of resale values. So $15K of damage could easily be considered way too far into the cars total market estimated worth.
Old 11-26-2014, 08:15 PM

E3504MATIC
Originally Posted by Live Oak
What a shame!

Could you sue the pickup driver for the difference in small claims court?
I am not considering suing anyone. Quite frankly I am tired. Too much time and effort and anguish already. Not interested in prolonging this.
Old 11-26-2014, 08:21 PM

E3504MATIC
Originally Posted by noka
Here I thought it was largely cosmetic . In any case, I guess the age and mileage didn't justify repair Maybe if it was brand new they would have fixed it.

Any idea what you will get to replace it?
No idea what I will get but am not in a hurry.. Might sit out the market for a while and then maybe a rear wheel drive w212 with caramel colored ribbed leather seats, black headliner.. Or rwd 5 series with multi-contoured seat, chestnut brown leather interior.. Either way it has to be used and well maintained. Will keep an eye out for diesel if price is right..
Old 11-26-2014, 08:32 PM

E3504MATIC
Originally Posted by K-A
Out of curiosity, what state was that in?

Also, doesn't surprise me that they totaled it. W212's aren't at the highest of resale values. So $15K of damage could easily be considered way too far into the cars total market estimated worth.
This is in GA where Insurance companies are legally obligated to pay diminished value. And yes too far into value and totaling eliminates heartburn for them as there is no further potential headache with bodyshop which would not budge on quality.. Who knows what they find later. Besides no open loose ends. Also keep in mind the salvage value.. I expect them to get money out of the car which will then either become organ donor or fixed by salvage buyer and put back on the market.
Old 11-27-2014, 01:25 AM

e550
Originally Posted by Sal_S
Quick Update: Just got a call indicating its totaled. Details yet to come. Had a hint from the shop but it was more like a hunch.. shop guy was a bit cagey but hinted there was a chance of it getting totaled.. so kinda like border line.. I believe estimate came in at 13 g with a potential 3g more later plus diminished value of sub 2k etc.. I have not had a rental but that would have come into play as well.. since shop indicated if it was going to be repaired it wouldnt be before christmas time.. whatever. Payment should take care of loan. I might get a little for my trouble.. So I guess it wasnt meant to be.. me and new to me merc. As a side note, moral of the story is dont owe more than its worth.. more closer to wholesale value the better.
Not surprised that it was totaled .It looked like 15k worth of damage. I think it is for the best, cars with that level of damage are never the same. I hope your insurance rep. can extract enough money out of the offenders coverage to replace it with a like model including tax. Good luck finding the prefect replacement. Think how you would feel if you had paid full pop on a new car,so in this case your decision to buy used was very smart.

Last edited by wanderfalke; 11-27-2014 at 01:42 AM.
Old 11-27-2014, 11:53 AM

E3504MATIC
Originally Posted by wanderfalke
Not surprised that it was totaled .It looked like 15k worth of damage. I think it is for the best, cars with that level of damage are never the same. I hope your insurance rep. can extract enough money out of the offenders coverage to replace it with a like model including tax. Good luck finding the prefect replacement. Think how you would feel if you had paid full pop on a new car,so in this case your decision to buy used was very smart.
Good call on that. Some other folks on this thread were also right with estimates etc..
Old 11-27-2014, 01:47 PM

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
W212 E550 4M P2
Bummer. Come to think about it, I'm not surprised it would cost so much to fix. A buddy had a super minor rear end fender bender and it cost $4k for a new bumper cover and trunk lid. Amazing how quickly it starts to add up.

I read that you're going to take a little time off, but What are you contemplating? Replace with same, different Merc or different brand??? Happy shopping.
Old 11-28-2014, 07:19 PM

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts
2018 E300 Luxury - P3 and more
Keep in mind that insurance companies are businesses, not your friends. Many times I've seen them total a car because the money they'll get from parting out the car definitely exceeds the check they will be cutting you.
Old 11-29-2014, 10:30 AM

e550
Find another e klasse that closely mimics your totaled one and try to be made whole on the purchase by the insurance pay out.