MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W212) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212-109/)
-   -   Rear ended (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212/564880-rear-ended.html)

Sal_S 11-23-2014 10:38 AM

Rear ended

4 Attachment(s)
Purchased a 2010 E350 4MATIC with 55k miles couple weeks ago. Two days ago, Missus was driving home after dropping kid at school. Stopped due to oncoming traffic, at traffic light turning right in the right most lane. Got rear ended by a pickup truck on stilts which was also turning right. Jacked up pickup trucks are common around here.. That driver got a citation and accepted fault. Police report deemed wife not at fault. Nobody's hurt and that pickup barely registered any dent. All energy seemed to have been absorbed by Merc.

Have claims number from other party's insurance company. Was waiting for their appraiser to come in but am going to go ahead and get it towed to the dealer owned collision center or one MB certified shop that deals with high end brands and exotics. Will inform the insurance company to notify the appraiser to go there directly. I will not deal with that insurance company from then on.

Anyways, what you folks think? how much you think the estimates going to come in? I know the other party's insurance will send an appraiser who is going to lowball it to start with. But am not going to play that game. I will let the shop deal with it and counter with their own appraisal.

p30amg08 11-23-2014 10:43 AM

Glad everyone is okay. Im sorry this happened. But the car did its job. Now its time tear into these ins companies. Don't forget to get diminished value claim

wanderfalke 11-23-2014 10:58 AM

I am going to guess ten to twelve grand at least. Just saw other pics make it 15k.

dbldpr 11-23-2014 11:09 AM

Sorry to hear about the accident. Glad everyone is ok. Make sure you bring it to a good body shop

Sal_S 11-23-2014 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by p30amg08 (Post 6240286)
Glad everyone is okay. Im sorry this happened. But the car did its job. Now its time tear into these ins companies. Don't forget to get diminished value claim

Thanks. Have an uphill battle with these insurance companies. Glad I did some reading around regarding how they take advantage of folks who dont know any better. I will look into Diminution in value after vehicle has been restored to its pre collision glory.

Sal_S 11-23-2014 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by wanderfalke (Post 6240302)
I am going to guess ten to twelve grand at least. Just saw other pics make it 15k.

Will have to see how its going to play out.. the value of car vs percentage of it for repairing it etc..

Sal_S 11-23-2014 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by dbldpr (Post 6240309)
Sorry to hear about the accident. Glad everyone is ok. Make sure you bring it to a good body shop

Thanks. I apparently have the right to take it to any place I want to. Dont have to be steered into a cheap shop preferred by the other insurance company. Also, I dont need to wait around for their appraiser to show up. In olden days, I would have just followed what the insurance company said.. now thanks to the material on the internet, I know the dos and donts.

noka 11-23-2014 11:22 AM

I can imagine how awful this must feel but as others have said, everyone is OK and healthy and that's the prime concern. Please post pics when it's complete, so we can all feel good again.

Sal_S 11-23-2014 11:55 AM

3 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by noka (Post 6240321)
I can imagine how awful this must feel but as others have said, everyone is OK and healthy and that's the prime concern. Please post pics when it's complete, so we can all feel good again.

Will update next week when I will know more.. That particular day, minivan was running low on fuel so wife took the car. Not a bad thing since E-Klasse is good on safety. Notice how the trunk popped up and didnt disturb the rear glass.

noka 11-23-2014 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by Sal_S (Post 6240344)
...Notice how the trunk popped up and didnt disturb the rear glass.

That is interesting. Smart design or just the way it was hit? (...we may never know). It's good that the rear glass isn't involved from a repair standpoint. I think it's never good to mess with the factory seals. Most of the damage appears to be higher up. Although it won't be cheap the damage appears to be largely cosmetic and not structural. They should be able to rebuild the rear end just like new.

hyperion667 11-23-2014 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by noka (Post 6240359)
That is interesting. Smart design or just the way it was hit? (...we may never know). It's good that the rear glass isn't involved from a repair standpoint. I think it's never good to mess with the factory seals. Most of the damage appears to be higher up. Although it won't be cheap the damage appears to be largely cosmetic and not structural. They should be able to rebuild the rear end just like new.

I was thinking the same thing: crumple zone did a great job on absorbing impact:y:y

hope it works out OP, good luck, glad it was in a Benz:y(for safety)

homeofstone 11-23-2014 03:28 PM

My guess is About 8000.00. But everything can't be seen in photos.

BenzV12 11-24-2014 04:28 AM

Sorry to hear about that nasty incident . Glad, everyone is OK and your car would not stand a chance against jacked up trucks and did it's job neatly
I can't estimate but it's a major overhaul and may be underneath the car also needs to be checked as well as replacing exterior body parts

PeterUbers 11-24-2014 06:50 PM

Minimum $15k... I had mild bumper damage and rim scuff from a much more minor accident and it was $4k
(2014 e550 sedan)
"Glad it was a Benz??". Most modern cars are very safe despite what people convince themselves to believe ... Sucks it was a Benz is more like it... It'll be more to repair it and it'll take a deprecation hit and yur premiums may reflect all this depending on how your insurance is set up

All that matters is that everyone is healthy

roromush 11-24-2014 07:08 PM

This is the reason most people will lift trucks, even a head on collision will result in little to no damage. The frame and suspension will absorb the impact, the only problem is the other guy (your wife) is absorbing that inertia.

Damage wise, I agree with the others. Once all said and done I think your looking at $15,000. Hopefully the unibody has not been damaged.

wanderfalke 11-24-2014 10:10 PM

If the damage is more than one half the value of car it is a total. I think you are more likely to receive that than to receive diminished value. My insurance pretended to never have hear of such a thing.

hyperion667 11-25-2014 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by PeterUbers (Post 6241751)
Minimum $15k... I had mild bumper damage and rim scuff from a much more minor accident and it was $4k
(2014 e550 sedan)
"Glad it was a Benz??". Most modern cars are very safe despite what people convince themselves to believe ... Sucks it was a Benz is more like it... It'll be more to repair it and it'll take a deprecation hit and yur premiums may reflect all this depending on how your insurance is set up

All that matters is that everyone is healthy

I think if ALL cars were as safe as a Benz, said manufacturer would advertise "safe as a Mercedes Benz" , but they don't......because they aren't :)

would you rather be rear ended in a Benz or a K-K-K-Kia??

MJ50 11-25-2014 01:30 PM

glad to hear mrs. is okay... :y
now, might as well get e63 bumper thru insurance... :naughty:

PeterUbers 11-25-2014 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by hyperion667 (Post 6242613)
I think if ALL cars were as safe as a Benz, said manufacturer would advertise "safe as a Mercedes Benz" , but they don't......because they aren't :)

So long as that logic makes sense to you is all that matters.

hyperion667 11-25-2014 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by PeterUbers (Post 6242625)
So long as that logic makes sense to you is all that matters.

thanx PeterUbers:y

something tells me I'm not the only one with these feelings :)

rediesel 11-25-2014 02:56 PM

I'd rather be rear ended by a Kia than in a Kia.

Arrie 11-25-2014 04:45 PM

Volvo for sure would not refer to MB for safety...

BeachBunny 11-25-2014 05:08 PM

I'd rather be in a KIA than a PRIUS....and that's before we even talk about how crappy a Prius is to drive. Please note that ALL of the photos here are from the same crash test (IIHS Small Offset). Yes, the Pious, er...Prius really did that poorly.

2014 Kia Soul:
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...a18c36e3d.jpeg

2014 Toyota Prius
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...f6dbc0c5f.jpeg
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...6ece8d0f9.jpeg

They're your legs...you can choose if you value them or not.

noka 11-25-2014 05:21 PM

OT: About the Prius, ever notice how these drivers are some of the worst speeders on the road, or is it just me?... and with that poor crash protection too!

DerekACS 11-25-2014 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by noka (Post 6242910)
OT: About the Prius, ever notice how these drivers are some of the worst speeders on the road, or is it just me?... and with that poor crash protection too!

Yes, I concur with your observation about some Prius drivers ! On a recent tour through eight western states, my wife and I noticed a good number of Prius drivers speeding past us on Interstate highways. And I usually drive a good 10-15 kph above the speed limit.

If those Prius drivers only knew how unsafe their cars really are !!!