Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1998 Mercedes E320 4Matic Wagon, 1981 Yamaha Maxim 650
Ha! The cab might be safer
Old 01-12-2015, 03:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 384 Likes on 314 Posts
2011 E550 P2 4M Sedan
Originally Posted by Live Oak
I don't understand the complaints --- spending a day, or a weekend, with a C Class makes you appreciate your E Class all the more.
Exactly how I felt when I picked up my E class today. On the 20 minute drive to the dealer I put the C250 to the test for fun. Power delivery was inconsistent with some lag at times but it handled well at 90mph on the highway. Had a lot more fun on the ride home in my E550. Although I will say that looking at the speedo display on my 2010 after that 2014 was like going back in time. I guess I found one thing I liked.

Originally Posted by HAILERS2
The first loaner I got was a C250. The next was a E350 Coupe which I liked and enjoyed the different driving experience. The last time, this last week, I teased 'em a bit and asked for a SLS and although I didn't get a SLS, I got a CLS550.

Next time I'll ask for a 2015 S550 Coupe. Never hurt to ask. Normally I drive a CL550. Don't own a E Class at all right now.
Guess I should ask next time to see if they have anything more interesting. A CLS would have been awesome by comparison. However, they are sometimes so busy in service I doubt I would get my pick.
Old 01-12-2015, 07:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 834 Likes on 603 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Originally Posted by thefisch
Exactly how I felt when I picked up my E class today. On the 20 minute drive to the dealer I put the C250 to the test for fun. Power delivery was inconsistent with some lag at times but it handled well at 90mph on the highway. Had a lot more fun on the ride home in my E550. Although I will say that looking at the speedo display on my 2010 after that 2014 was like going back in time. I guess I found one thing I liked.

Guess I should ask next time to see if they have anything more interesting. A CLS would have been awesome by comparison. However, they are sometimes so busy in service I doubt I would get my pick.

I think the gauges in the 2010 and alike look awesome. They don't have colors but after a while those colors become annoying in my opinion. It's like with the hype of the digital watches. Who still wears one?

And the layout with the 5 "barrels" beats the new ones with only 3. Just my opinion.

And the C250 is a total joke for a car to be called Mercedes.

Last edited by Arrie; 01-12-2015 at 07:30 PM.
Old 01-13-2015, 10:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
My dealer provides a "C" as standard for all, but did get an "E" once. Be thankful you get a car at all without having to pay for it. Have had "loaners" from other makes that were actually the cheapest car Enterprise had on the lot and a real hassle to get it and turn it in.
Remember, YOU are paying for the loaner even when it is "free." Either in original price of car or costs of service.
Really that bad to drive a different type vehicle for a day or two? Actually I enjoy driving the "C" class cars. Confirms I made the right decision in getting an "E".
Old 01-13-2015, 12:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
my god, what a bunch of whiners.
Old 01-13-2015, 12:29 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
'19 MBZ E450 Wagon, '19 BMW 530e
I drive a smart car so my standards are pretty low.
Old 01-13-2015, 12:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts
E 350
My service due in 30 days message is coming up. I will see if they offer any loaners at all. This will be the first service (10,000 mikes) of the car BTW. Any idea how long does it take. I mean is it a half an hour job or much longer?
Old 01-13-2015, 01:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'15 E350 4M Sport
Originally Posted by El Cid
My dealer provides a "C" as standard for all, but did get an "E" once. Be thankful you get a car at all without having to pay for it. Have had "loaners" from other makes that were actually the cheapest car Enterprise had on the lot and a real hassle to get it and turn it in.
Remember, YOU are paying for the loaner even when it is "free." Either in original price of car or costs of service.
Really that bad to drive a different type vehicle for a day or two? Actually I enjoy driving the "C" class cars. Confirms I made the right decision in getting an "E".
What he said!
Old 01-13-2015, 04:37 PM

2014 E250 BlueTec RWD, 2015 GLK250
I have had 3 service appointments so far, minor new car issues, service A & B. for the 1st 2 appointments, '14 ML350 and then a '14 E350. The last service B appointment, made the appointment in advance, got there on time, but the loaner vehicle was not available, last person who had the scheduled vehicle, still had it out, late in returning it.

So the SA offered another loaner, '13 SMART for Two with dealer advertisements all over it. Well I thought, it will get me home, 20 miles of interstate @70 mph posted limits.

For sure it is not an "E" ride, . But that is not what got me slightly upset, having TPMS alarm and CEL lights did. I was able to correct the TPMS alarm, just by adding air, 10-15lbs low on all tires. The CEL light was a transmission error per the owners manual. The car got me back to the dealer and I let the SA know I did not appreciate a vehicle with issues and I had to travel over 40 miles with it. Worst part, the SA knew about the CEL light and merely explain the TPMS alarm. I stated that vehicle should not of been given out with known issues. I also let the 2 email service responses known I was not satisfied with the vehicle that was issued as a loaner since it had issues. I been in the dealer twice now afterward, not for an appointment, but to the SA, nothing more has been stated to me about the loaner vehicle that I got to drive home with. Still I am glad my dealer does offer one, after all, it is just to get home with or to work with if needed.
Old 01-13-2015, 04:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'15 E350 4M Sport
Originally Posted by LSkrabut
I have had 3 service appointments so far, minor new car issues, service A & B. for the 1st 2 appointments, '14 ML350 and then a '14 E350. The last service B appointment, made the appointment in advance, got there on time, but the loaner vehicle was not available, last person who had the scheduled vehicle, still had it out, late in returning it.

So the SA offered another loaner, '13 SMART for Two with dealer advertisements all over it. Well I thought, it will get me home, 20 miles of interstate @70 mph posted limits.

For sure it is not an "E" ride, . But that is not what got me slightly upset, having TPMS alarm and CEL lights did. I was able to correct the TPMS alarm, just by adding air, 10-15lbs low on all tires. The CEL light was a transmission error per the owners manual. The car got me back to the dealer and I let the SA know I did not appreciate a vehicle with issues and I had to travel over 40 miles with it. Worst part, the SA knew about the CEL light and merely explain the TPMS alarm. I stated that vehicle should not of been given out with known issues. I also let the 2 email service responses known I was not satisfied with the vehicle that was issued as a loaner since it had issues. I been in the dealer twice now afterward, not for an appointment, but to the SA, nothing more has been stated to me about the loaner vehicle that I got to drive home with. Still I am glad my dealer does offer one, after all, it is just to get home with or to work with if needed.
Dissatisfaction totally understandable! Hopefully, they will take it to heart and learn from that mistake.
Old 01-13-2015, 08:21 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
E550
A SMART????!!

I wouldn't drive a SMART in our neighborhood, much less on the Interstate! Can you imagine what a Kia or a Fiat 500 or a Mini could do to a SMART in an accident??!! Then think about a SMART under a semi!

Offered that as a loaner, I'd call a rental agency and pay for a car --- and from then on do my routine service business with a third party, not the dealer, and let him know it.

Or if the timing was right, just drive out of the lot.
Old 01-14-2015, 12:11 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2010 E63 AMG
I have a C300 for a loaner right now also. I miss my car
Old 01-14-2015, 01:17 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
w212 E350 Bluetec & Mk7 GTI Sport
MBZ Valencia i just called in for future plans of my Service B. (coming in sooner x2) They told me they have a fleet of loaners as well, no charge. Which is a nice feel.

Now hopefully I can find a dealer with service guys who know wtf theyre talking about, and actualyl want to answer your questions. These guys make no money by making you happy or explaining stuff in depth. They want you in and out like supercuts: on the phone or the chair.

Thats my major concern over a rental car being freely offerred, and not being a Kia Rio or a PT Cruiser.
Old 01-15-2015, 02:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
Ask for loaner when making appointment

Originally Posted by pamiboy
My service due in 30 days message is coming up. I will see if they offer any loaners at all. This will be the first service (10,000 mikes) of the car BTW. Any idea how long does it take. I mean is it a half an hour job or much longer?
My dealer takes hours for either A or B. When I ask, it's always 3-4 hours probably, so I always get a loaner just to drive home and back. Live 45 minutes away so no courtesy transportation. Guess because I have the loaner, it is usually 5-6 hours before they call to say mine is ready.
Ironically the loaner sits in my garage the whole time. Although I have made stops a couple of times for shopping, etc.
When I call to make the appointment, I speak to same SA and note that I need a loaner. No problems when I get there. Takes about 10 minutes to check in and then 10 to sign for loaner and him to get it and bring it to me.
Old 01-15-2015, 09:47 PM

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts
ML350 BLUE TEC
Originally Posted by instantfob
I drive a smart car so my standards are pretty low.
I love sitting outdoors in the area of my dealership where people drive up in their cars and get out to hand the keys to the porter. You'll see E550's, CL550's, SL550'S and S550's all in a line.............then a guy comes in and parks in that line of cars with his Smart car. Quite the scene. I find it humorous.

Oh, and the guy who gets out of the Smart car, has his AF uniform on which is of a pilot in the USAF. Probably drives a F-16 in the sky and a Smart car on the road.
Old 01-15-2015, 10:39 PM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
2012 W221 S63, 2016 W166 GLE350d
I've gotten an ML350, E350, and a GLK350 a few times. Usually get a C350 coupe or when it's really busy, C250 sedan/coupe or B250. Gotten a B250 quite a few times. Tried to ask for the SLS for an extended test drive as a loaner but they said no
Old 01-15-2015, 11:46 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
E550
Originally Posted by HAILERS2
Oh, and the guy who gets out of the Smart car, has his AF uniform on which is of a pilot in the USAF. Probably drives a F-16 in the sky and a Smart car on the road.
He likes a tight cockpit.
Old 01-16-2015, 12:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts
2009 SLK55 AMG
Loaners

Originally Posted by thefisch
So I dropped my 2011 E550 off for it's first service (since I bought it used 9 months ago) early Saturday thinking they'd only need it 2-3 hours based on what they told me while making the appointment. Well they must have been busy since the first thing they brought up was getting me in a loaner in case it takes until Monday (which it will as I write this on Sunday). Thought that was nice of them and I was looking forward to driving a newer model E class or something interesting. They sent me to the beverage bar while they got everything arranged. I took a few extra minutes to check out the showroom floor and sit in a GL63 and S63 (from another world) before going back to check out their progress.

Upon my return, they had a 2014 C250 waiting for me - wasn't that impressed. I asked if they only had C classes as loaners and they offered me a GLK if I preferred an SUV. Not wanting the hassle or an SUV, I left with the C250 which has been underwhelming coming off the E550. I realize they are completely different cars/engines, but this thing doesn't even have a rear backup camera or navigation.

Maybe I drew the short straw that day. I realize this probably varies from dealer to dealer, but I am curious to hear other experiences with loaner car and what their dealer offered them.
I don't know what US dealer practice is but I have had dealers in Toronto, Burlington and Nanaimo all provide me loaner cars going back to 1987 when I got my first W124.
Never have I had a car like my own or a newer version of my E class cars or my CLK.
My current dealer is also a Subaru dealer so sometimes I get a Subaru which is at least a year old.
If they have a high demand for loaners they will rent me a mid size car for the day or however long my service takes.
The worst car was a Smart car - I took it because they had to arrange a rental because the customer with the loaner scheduled for me did not return it on time - which in my view is junk.
The CVT system sucks big time. They pull off the power to shift it and the front dives. I can't tell you why they would try to simulate a shift in a CVT but it definitely did. When questioned my Service Manager said they all do that to some degree.
In next Tuesday. Maybe they will give me CLA 45 4Matic to play with for the day.
Old 01-16-2015, 12:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 SLK55 AMG
Driving other cars makes our E's much appreciated.
Old 01-16-2015, 02:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 E-350
Originally Posted by Alex.currie44
Driving other cars makes our E's much appreciated.
This is true! The E-350 is my wife's car that I dropped off for A service and got a '15 C-300 as a loaner. Since I drive over 120 miles a day I figured I may as well get a loaner to see what the new C is like.

Have to say, getting back into the E after spending all day in the C felt like going from coach to first class. Will hopefully step up to the S one day for the ultimate luxury car experience.
Old 01-16-2015, 03:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 ML 550, CLK63 AMG, 2012 E350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by Russ103
This is true! The E-350 is my wife's car that I dropped off for A service and got a '15 C-300 as a loaner. Since I drive over 120 miles a day I figured I may as well get a loaner to see what the new C is like.

Have to say, getting back into the E after spending all day in the C felt like going from coach to first class. Will hopefully step up to the S one day for the ultimate luxury car experience.
My wife drives the the C class for a day and calls it a little POS. If they were smart they'd send her an S550...
Old 01-16-2015, 04:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 SLK55 AMG
Loaners

Originally Posted by schorert1
or call you a cab.
I fully agree.
What are we talking about here?
If you get any car for free what does it matter? Surely we all plan service when it doesn't interfere with us driving our cars for pleasure instead of to work or to a train or bus commuter station.
We have to appreciate that even if they use decent trade in cars as many of the cars I have had over the nearly 30 yr of MB ownership have been, they still have to insure them, service them and make sure they are safe to drive. There is a cost to that so why would anyone expect them to turn a brand new car into a used car just to provide the service departments with comparable cars to customer's cars? Imagine the mix of inventory to manage that. My dealer has a 6 bay shop. My dealer in Burlington Ontario had an 18 bay shop!
I live about 40 minutes away from my dealer and my services can take 2-4 hr depending on how busy they are and the work to be done. They also wash my car,
I don't want to hang around half the day waiting for it and their valet service will not take me home. It is too far.
Accordingly I appreciate any safe set of wheels at no cost to me. Brand and model are not an issue except for a Smart car which is not so smart.
I can get on with my day and return the loaner later in the day or first thing the following day. Works well for me.

Last edited by Alex.currie44; 01-16-2015 at 04:23 PM.
Old 01-16-2015, 04:30 PM

I fully agree.
What are we talking about here?
It doesn't matter, my wife loves the valet service to her office, she drives the C class for a day and dislikes that vehicle. I give them an "A" for this service.

My point was if they, just once, sent an S Class...she would like then be unhappy with her E and trade it in. She'd be an easy up-sell.
Old 01-16-2015, 05:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 SLK55 AMG
Loaners

Originally Posted by schorert1
It doesn't matter, my wife loves the valet service to her office, she drives the C class for a day and dislikes that vehicle. I give them an "A" for this service.

My point was if they, just once, sent an S Class...she would like then be unhappy with her E and trade it in. She'd be an easy up-sell.
So you are happy she doesn't get an S eh? Good thinking!
Old 01-17-2015, 10:00 AM

So you are happy she doesn't get an S eh? Good thinking!
I don't care either way, I think the E 4matic is the perfect sedan, I don't drive it often, so every two weeks or so when I get in it I'm still impressed by it. She's not a "car person", she needs an executive level sedan so to her this fills a need.
Next time she has service scheduled, I might actually call our salesmen and suggest instead of a C loaner they send over an S550 or cls 4matic out of their inventory. I'm just surprised nobody in sales cross references with service and says "this car is hitting $40k, this customer might be thinking new car".

Make a phonecall "mrs jones, I see your car is coming in for 40kmi service, I don't know if you're looking for a new vehicle, but I'd be happy to send you a CLS demo"...it would be like shooting fish in a barrell.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: loaner cars