63.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Old E Class vs 2015 C Class

Old 03-06-2015, 05:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
PLAID
Originally Posted by schorert1
sorry man...maybe you're the one who should drive an E class for a week and then go back to the C...I drove the C for a few days and it feels like a camry to me. a v-6 would have helped, but it sure wouldn't improve the cars ride. I'll be replacing my(wife's) E soon, I sure as hell won't be looking at the C class. not a serious vehicle IMO.
Originally Posted by Airmousam
And I'll follow up by saying that after 5 days in the new C, I can not wait to get my ancient 2010 E back. If they offered up a straight up trade, I would quickly, and I mean quickly decline...just got the call from the dealer now it's Monday to get my car back. Oh well it's good to have a loaner even if it is a cute lil C class. My wife and her friends love it!!
You guys really need to try the C400/C450 AMG Sport , totally different car than the C300 and much better engine as well (V6). The new C450 is surely going to be a great C Class car. I've had several C class cars and ONLY because they are what I like. I don't want bigger. I want a car I can throw around and mod.
Old 03-06-2015, 06:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 246 Likes on 156 Posts
2023 EQS 580
Originally Posted by Airmousam
He said vib was at complete stops, which is what I'm noticing in my C300 loaner and in my case it's for sure the ECO STOP/start
I think I specifically addressed that.
Originally Posted by Tjdehya
When sitting at a stop the time between the 4 engine ignitions will be more noticeable to someone who is used to 6 or more.
I guess I don't know what you mean. All the ECO start/stop does is stop the engine. So if the engine is stopped and you are feeling some sort of vibration then I doubt its the engine and therefore completely unrelated to the ECO start/stop.

Last edited by Tjdehya; 03-06-2015 at 06:43 PM.
Old 03-06-2015, 08:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts
2010 E550 4M P2 Distronic, CLK550 Cab P2
I think I specifically addressed that.

I guess I don't know what you mean. All the ECO start/stop does is stop the engine. So if the engine is stopped and you are feeling some sort of vibration then I doubt its the engine and therefore completely unrelated to the ECO start/stop.

Ok, you're right...
Old 03-06-2015, 08:53 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2010 E350, 2015 S550
This is a very dumb thing to post.
The fact that your loaded C400 costs more than a no option E350... LMAO.
How about you try to find a loaded E400 and tell us what is the price difference between that and your C400.

Anyway I do agree that a new, modern, and updated C class with a warranty is much better that a old, outdated E class without a Warranty.

But at the end of the day, a C class in still a C class and it sits a Class below and equally equipped E Class. In the same way that a E class is a Class below the S class... And yes... any BMW will always be a Class below MB.

The upcoming new generation 7 series is a disgrace when you try to compare it the S class. I have a very strong feeling that the new W213 will put the next gen 7 Series to shame.
The front end on the E class in your sig. is timeless. I still think that the 2010/2011 version is the best looking in recent history. That car looks fast just sitting there. I won't be giving my 2010 up anytime sooon.
Old 03-06-2015, 09:32 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Originally Posted by shashivr4
Regarding the handling, that is where I was the most disappointed in the new C. Even in Sport Plus it felt very loose....much more unstable than my E which feels very tight. Also, at complete stops, I could feel a slight vibration (engine I assume) and the vehicle only had ~4,000 miles. In summary, my E handles much better (even though it's much larger...wagon) and doesn't vibrate at full stops). Once and if these issues are resolved, the C would be a vehicle one should consider if they are looking for a compact luxury vehicle. However, I do think it's overpriced.
Agreed. I was pretty shocked at how loose and sloppy under some pressure the new C felt. Felt imbalanced, disorganized, rental-car-esque in drive soul. Interior is very nice for what it is, but the quality in details and fitment isn't quite there, it's a lot of "popping smoke".

There have been QC disasters with the W205, helping drag M-B's JD and Consumer Reports ratings through the mud and back towards the bottom of the industry again. Personally, if I spend over $30K on a German car, it's gotta be built in Germany, otherwise I'll just likely get something else. That's a big element and worth a lot to me, be it tangibly or just in romanticizing my enthusiasts bone, that it comes from the "motherland". The C uses a majority of American parts now on the W205, assembled in America, and you can tell.

And the price is indeed very high, which the market agrees to as W205's have gotten "clearance-sale" style discounts faster than any M-B I remember. People getting over 20% commonly immediately upon launch.

When I drove a W205, I thought it provided a compelling package against the W212. I still think it does, and can't say which I'd go with, but the C just doesn't seem nearly as well built, and that's why you should buy a Mercedes.

I still think its interior crushes the POS current 3 cost-cut city interior. But the exterior namely in standard trim (though thankfully they finally started charging a premium for the sports package to hopefully reignite some enthusiast centric specialness from it and give M-B's on the roads necessary variety and presence amongst each other) sometimes just looks really off proportioned, gawky and awkward employing the "old mature/classic" style S Class theme, namely in the rear which is very classic for this segment (nothing wrong with that, but it's an S rear, and works better on a larger and more big-luxury saloon like that). The worst is the front, where that star grill doesn't fit the classic design theme of the C. It looks downright awkward and goofy in some elements. I saw one next to a facelift W211 E and pre facelift W212 E, and the fronts weren't even comparable, the two letters just out-classed it, and had such a stronger, truer, more harmonized classic (in the good way) M-B elements to them.

Originally Posted by El Cid
A comparably equipped "E" will cost more than a "C." If it didn't, DAG and MBUSA would go bankrupt as the "E" costs more to build.
As for the infotainment screen, it is not the size that is the problem, but that it is stuck on as opposed to being made an integral part of the dash. DAG did this as a cost saving feature, not to be modern or up to date or for any other reason.
Agreed. The "tacked on tablet" is an excuse for cost cutting. Marketers spin it as "Flat Screen/Tablet" but it's simply non-integrated and allows them to cost cut by creating universal dash designs of which they don't have to tastefully integrate with individual screens. Also, it will date cars so significantly imo as it's too tech-trend focused (nothing dates faster and more rapidly than ever-evolving tech, especially trends). Integration is fundamental architectural design. This is giving that up in favor of trendy tech hardware that has no business or integration within a vehicle setup.
Old 03-07-2015, 04:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 573 Likes on 429 Posts
W212 FL
I like W205 C Class but I would never trade my W212 for that . W205s being a newer kids on the block benefit from the latest technology or get more updated interior . I also thought of trading my car for it but I didn't go for it .
I think next gen E Class will surpass the W212s in regards to technological instruments,gadgets,even safety .
Well, then some guys who switch to W205 coming from W212 would regret not waiting for the W213 or next gen E Class
Old 03-08-2015, 12:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,389 Likes on 1,933 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon
We have a new 2016 E350 on order for my wife, which will replace her 2010. Even though we know the new W213 will have newer technology, we are worried about the exterior design. Will it look just like the C, which looks a lot like the S? We love the upright, traditional look of the W212 in Luxury trim and hope the W213 follows in that design theme, but we are not holding our breath. In addition, we are worried about the possible deletion of a spare wheel/tire and the possible inclusion of the Panorama Roof, either as standard equipment or as part of a Premium Pkg, which we absolutely do not want. And lastly, with the tidal wave of new entry level models into the MB line up, we feel that it would be wise to give the W213 about three years to get all the bugs out, before we jump in. Waiting in line for service behind throngs of CLA, GLA, Smart Cars and other lower end models is not our idea of having fun, so we try to keep dealer service visits to an absolute minimum.
Old 03-08-2015, 01:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2023 EQS 580
Originally Posted by Streamliner
We have a new 2016 E350 on order for my wife, which will replace her 2010. Even though we know the new W213 will have newer technology, we are worried about the exterior design. Will it look just like the C, which looks a lot like the S? We love the upright, traditional look of the W212 in Luxury trim and hope the W213 follows in that design theme, but we are not holding our breath. In addition, we are worried about the possible deletion of a spare wheel/tire and the possible inclusion of the Panorama Roof, either as standard equipment or as part of a Premium Pkg, which we absolutely do not want. And lastly, with the tidal wave of new entry level models into the MB line up, we feel that it would be wise to give the W213 about three years to get all the bugs out, before we jump in. Waiting in line for service behind throngs of CLA, GLA, Smart Cars and other lower end models is not our idea of having fun, so we try to keep dealer service visits to an absolute minimum.
So if none of your worries appear in the W213 are you going to trade in the 2016 for the W213?

The W213 is going to be leap years ahead of the W212 in terms of technology and luxury. It would seem like a waste to buy a 2016 at this point.

I think it would be better to wait for the W213 and if you are not happy with it you will be able to pick up a 2016 at a great discount because dealers will be trying to get rid of them to make room for the much improved W213.

Last edited by Tjdehya; 03-08-2015 at 02:09 PM.
Old 03-08-2015, 04:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 E250 BT 4M
We have a new 2016 E350 on order for my wife, which will replace her 2010. Even though we know the new W213 will have newer technology, we are worried about the exterior design. Will it look just like the C, which looks a lot like the S? We love the upright, traditional look of the W212 in Luxury trim and hope the W213 follows in that design theme, but we are not holding our breath. In addition, we are worried about the possible deletion of a spare wheel/tire and the possible inclusion of the Panorama Roof, either as standard equipment or as part of a Premium Pkg, which we absolutely do not want. And lastly, with the tidal wave of new entry level models into the MB line up, we feel that it would be wise to give the W213 about three years to get all the bugs out, before we jump in.
Good decision ! I concur with your reasoning. From the spy shots of the W213, it is evident that it will look very much like the W205, the rear end of which I do not care for. The W213 also appears to be physically larger then the W212.

Neither do I like the trend to a smaller, rounded rear window which greatly restricts the rearward sight lines. If you have driven a W205, you will appreciate my comment on restricted visibility.

In addition to my qualms about the W213 styling, I also fear that it will be equipped with dreaded Run Flat tires.

The face-lifted W212 is such a good looking car with an outstanding driving position, great visibility in all directions and a rock-solid reputation for reliability. It remains to be seen whether the W213 will be able match this combination of attributes. Given MB's recent flawed introduction of the CLA/GLA and W205, it may take several years of W213 production for it match the current build quality of the W212.

Last edited by DerekACS; 03-08-2015 at 04:26 PM.
Old 03-08-2015, 05:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'15 E350 4M Sport
I wouldn't touch a W213 in the first year of production (or any such car for that matter)... but maybe that's just me. I prefer to buy cars that are rated well during later production years when hopefully many defects have been fixed.
Old 03-08-2015, 09:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

So if none of your worries appear in the W213 are you going to trade in the 2016 for the W213?

The W213 is going to be leap years ahead of the W212 in terms of technology and luxury. It would seem like a waste to buy a 2016 at this point.

I think it would be better to wait for the W213 and if you are not happy with it you will be able to pick up a 2016 at a great discount because dealers will be trying to get rid of them to make room for the much improved W213.
I thought I addressed that: With all that new technology, we will give the W213 probably about three years to get all the bugs sorted and then get one--probably. And, we cannot sit around and wait for the W212 fire sale at the end of the year, as we want exactly what we want and that means a specially ordered car, unlike anything you will find sitting on a dealer'a lot either before or after the 2017's arrive. Just try and find a loaded, Iridium Silver E350 Luxury sedan with Seashell Gray Nappa Leather and the Surround View Camera sitting on a lot. Virtually impossible. And, with the timing of our ordered 2016, the deal we will get will be sensational anyway.
As previously stated, with MB falling all over themselves dealing with CLA, GLA, W205 & other issues, I have little doubt that the first & second year W213's will have reasonably serious glitches and my wife will be more than happy tooling around in her last year W212, while we wait for the W213 to get debugged--or not.
Old 03-08-2015, 09:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts
E 350
I'm hoping that the new E class will still be made in Germany. If it's made in US, then it'll be a crapshoot like the new C class.
Old 03-08-2015, 10:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by pamiboy
I'm hoping that the new E class will still be made in Germany. If it's made in US, then it'll be a crapshoot like the new C class.
That would have been huge, earth shaking news if MB decided to build the W213 in the US, so I'm quite confident that we won't see that.
Old 03-08-2015, 11:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'10 E550, 09 Yamaha Warrior 1700, 99 Honda Aero 1100
My E550 is a great car, and the premium 2 package bells and whistles still wow me even after owning for two years. Bought it certified preowned, and extended the warranty to 2017 and 135K miles. As it just passed 60,000, I'll have to drive it a lot more to approach 135000 before the warranty time ends in 2017.

At that time, I'll either purchase an S class certified pre-owned, or sink some cash into performance mods in the E550. The stock set up still makes this one a sleeper that surprises those not in the know, and I can't help wonder what could be done to wake it up even more. 1st thing to go will be the speed limiter that prevents it from going over 130MPH. Pulling pretty good up to 130, then just leveling out was disappointing....

I suppose my decision in two years depends on how everything holds up before then. The C is just too small for me to even consider, I prefer a more substantial car.
Old 03-09-2015, 12:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2023 EQS 580
I thought I addressed that: With all that new technology, we will give the W213 probably about three years to get all the bugs sorted and then get one--probably.
You did, and I asked a general question. If none of those issues appear in the W213 would you consider trading?
You are assuming that there will be three years of issues for some reason. Along with your other concerns, I just asked if there weren't any issues would you trade you brand new W212 for the W213 or would you be happy with keeping the W212 especially as it will be so outdated when the W213 arrives.

Congrats on getting a good deal, Enjoy!
Old 03-09-2015, 11:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
Sprinter vans coming to US

That would have been huge, earth shaking news if MB decided to build the W213 in the US, so I'm quite confident that we won't see that.
Not nearly the same, but investing billions in a new Sprinter plant in US may be a harbinger of changes to come. Right now MB doing the Sprinter to avoid heavy import duties on trucks.
But, they are coming to a state (S.C.) that is very anti-union and very, very pro-corporations.
But still probably no "E" for a long, long time.
Old 03-09-2015, 11:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
Good decision

I thought I addressed that: With all that new technology, we will give the W213 probably about three years to get all the bugs sorted and then get one--probably. And, we cannot sit around and wait for the W212 fire sale at the end of the year, as we want exactly what we want and that means a specially ordered car, unlike anything you will find sitting on a dealer'a lot either before or after the 2017's arrive. Just try and find a loaded, Iridium Silver E350 Luxury sedan with Seashell Gray Nappa Leather and the Surround View Camera sitting on a lot. Virtually impossible. And, with the timing of our ordered 2016, the deal we will get will be sensational anyway.
As previously stated, with MB falling all over themselves dealing with CLA, GLA, W205 & other issues, I have little doubt that the first & second year W213's will have reasonably serious glitches and my wife will be more than happy tooling around in her last year W212, while we wait for the W213 to get debugged--or not.
Looks like an excellent and well thought out plan.
Happy Motoring!
Old 03-09-2015, 09:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by El Cid
Not nearly the same, but investing billions in a new Sprinter plant in US may be a harbinger of changes to come. Right now MB doing the Sprinter to avoid heavy import duties on trucks.
But, they are coming to a state (S.C.) that is very anti-union and very, very pro-corporations.
But still probably no "E" for a long, long time.
Didn't we hear something about MB building the R Class in Michigan with UAW employees?
Old 03-26-2015, 02:06 AM

I always have been a BMW person but two weeks after purchasing 2015 ML250 for my wife, I understood why people buy Mercedes.. comfort. I wanted something more sporty so I ended up getting 2015 E350 with sport package. Looked pretty bad ***. Funny thing is I drove around for a day and I couldn't stand the way E350 drives other than straight line on highway. Even with sport package it couldn't hide its weight and the ride was way too plush. I keep asking myself why am I driving a glorified taxi to work every day?? Making a long story short, I traded in for 2015 C300 (got all the options except distronics and air suspension). It's been over a month now and every morning I can't wait to drive the car to work. My wife didn't care for E350 since it was pretty much same as her ML but she is actually jealous of my car and asked me to switch every chance she gets.

Last edited by jjazzman; 03-26-2015 at 02:29 AM.
Old 03-26-2015, 08:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts
E 350
Different strokes for different folks. Enjoy your new MB.
Old 03-26-2015, 08:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by jjazzman
I always have been a BMW person but two weeks after purchasing 2015 ML250 for my wife, I understood why people buy Mercedes.. comfort. I wanted something more sporty so I ended up getting 2015 E350 with sport package. Looked pretty bad ***. Funny thing is I drove around for a day and I couldn't stand the way E350 drives other than straight line on highway. Even with sport package it couldn't hide its weight and the ride was way too plush. I keep asking myself why am I driving a glorified taxi to work every day?? Making a long story short, I traded in for 2015 C300 (got all the options except distronics and air suspension). It's been over a month now and every morning I can't wait to drive the car to work. My wife didn't care for E350 since it was pretty much same as her ML but she is actually jealous of my car and asked me to switch every chance she gets.
Well, there are some folks out there--mostly younger ones, who feel that looking "pretty bad ***" is somehow very important. Sigh.
Old 03-26-2015, 10:23 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2008 E320 Bluetec (until 11/14), 2001 SLK 320, 2004 Volvo V70, 1972 MGB, 2013 E350
Well, there are some folks out there--mostly younger ones, who feel that looking "pretty bad ***" is somehow very important. Sigh.
I left the "Badass" phase about 40 years ago. I am now in the "droopy ***" phase.
Old 03-26-2015, 12:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts
2010 E550 4M P2 Distronic, CLK550 Cab P2
so I ended up getting 2015 E350 with sport package. Looked pretty bad ***. Funny thing is I drove around for a day and I couldn't stand the way E350 drives other than straight line on highway.
Too bad you didn't figure out that you hated the E......on your test drive. One thing is for sure, bad *** will not be used to describe the new C. Sounds like you're happy and that's what matters. good luck!
Old 03-26-2015, 02:42 PM

'10 E550, 09 Yamaha Warrior 1700, 99 Honda Aero 1100
I guess it's all about preference. I've had both the E350 and C300 as loaners when mine was in for service, and each time returned the cars very happy to get the E550 back. With every option available on mine, it is way more car all the way around than either of the two other models. I would not trade my 5 year old E550, even straight up, for a 2015 C300. The only way mine could be better for me is if was the E63 AMG.
Old 03-27-2015, 08:19 AM

2014 E350 Sport
Too subjective a question.

How much space do you need?
Do you want a warranty?
Which tech package do you prefer?
Which drives better for you?

Impossible to answer with a poll.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Old E Class vs 2015 C Class