E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Dealer gave me a loaner GLA, wow was a POS

Old 03-09-2015, 04:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 289 Likes on 202 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
Originally Posted by PaulE550
The thing I would suspect most of these aspiration MB buyers of the GLA/CLA want and expect, coming from one of the Japanese brands, is that the cars will be just as reliable as what they're used to driving. That the build quality of the vehicle is at least equal to what they already have is something they expect on day one. To the degree that MB doesn't meet that expectation level in the GLA/CLA, that will likely result in turning these people off towards making a repeat lease / purchase of a MB in the future.

I don't think a lot of these folks have any illusion that what they're buying at the GLA/CLA price point is on par with an S class. Most of these people are probably quite realistic. They know it's the entry level model. However, they do probably expect a bit more luxury than what they're used to, while maintaining the almost the same build quality and overall reliability. Unfortunately, that's not what the GLA/CLA delivers today.

What it looks like is someone at MB corporate decided to merely slap a cheaply built car together, that met a specific price point that someone in Marketing said would be attractive to a certain set of aspiration buyers, and that's about it. Quality and reliability probably weren't high on the list of priorities. I mean if you just look at a CLA next to any other MB at a dealership, you can see right off the bat that it doesn't quite look like the other Mercedes and not in a good way. Then when you get inside and start poking around a little, it becomes even more obvious. For the GLA/CLA to be the stepping stone towards moving these first time MB buyers up the ladder of vehicles, it will have to do a lot of re-work.
I mean yeah, that is exactly what it is, a car/platform built to a price. I don't think all CLA/GLA buyers will leave MB though, if they ever drive a new C or anything more expensive they will get it that all Mercedes aren't the same, sad but true fact. Mercedes has never done small well and it will likely be the next generation before they make their entry level cars feel/behave more premium or like the more expensive Benzes.

M
Old 03-09-2015, 04:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 C250 Sport
Originally Posted by Germancar1
Supposedly Mercedes has been in panic mode over the GLA/CLA and there is huge update coming for 2016. Engine, transmission NVH, interior updates, and most importantly better ride/handling compromise. We'll see if this is true.

M
It's already true. 17-in wheels are now standard in the US (and likely should've been standard from the start).

I think the car they should really be in panic mode about is the SL, which is just heinous-looking....

Originally Posted by instantfob
Aren't we over thinking this GLA?

At the end of the day, Mercedes simply gave their A-class hatchback a pair of hiking boots and tell the hatchback-phobic Americans that this is an SUV.
IMO, depends on what you mean by "over thinking." I think the people spelling doom and gloom for the brand in the US are over-thinking. OTOH, I think that most posters just seem to be disappointed that the same brand that makes the S-Class released a car that seems kind of half-baked and gets by more on looks than on engineering excellence (which is sort of the antithesis of everything that an MB should be, no?).
Old 03-09-2015, 04:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by alsyli
It's already true. 17-in wheels are now standard in the US (and likely should've been standard from the start).

I think the car they should really be in panic mode about is the SL, which is just heinous-looking....

Wheels are irrelevant, it is the suspension tuning. Sport suspension being standard is/was the problem.

The SL will get a facelift for the 2017 model year.

M
Old 03-09-2015, 07:00 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
'19 MBZ E450 Wagon, '19 BMW 530e
Originally Posted by alsyli
IMO, depends on what you mean by "over thinking." I think the people spelling doom and gloom for the brand in the US are over-thinking. OTOH, I think that most posters just seem to be disappointed that the same brand that makes the S-Class released a car that seems kind of half-baked and gets by more on looks than on engineering excellence (which is sort of the antithesis of everything that an MB should be, no?).
Since MBUSA sent me a letter stating rattles are feature & characteristics of my E-class, I can conclude "The Best or Nothing" only applies to S-class.
Old 03-09-2015, 08:08 PM

Received 64 Likes on 37 Posts
E300-4matic
Exclamation The truth, at last!

How right you are my friend, MB has gone from a luxury nameplate to an "everymans" car. With the 2 exceptions of the "E" and "S" class cars MB really doesn't make an outstanding car that is heads and tails above Audi.
If I were given a choice I'd go for an Audi A3 or A4 before I'd drive one of those junk wagons GLA/CLA. As for pricing MB is no different than any other car company, they merely want a piece of the pie irregardless if it's the $30k to $40k market where chevy and toyota reside or the Lexus 350 in the $40k+ market where most of todays "Luxury" cars reside. Let's face it, MB has turned from having very little to no competition to where it is today, viewing every price bracket as part of their overall plan, which will eventually windup having Toyota and Lexus and cars of that sort as their competitors, which will mean MB is slowing sliding down hill, after all, up until they brought out these cheap lines of cars CLA/GLA their "bread & butter" vehicle has been the "E" class cars with the "S" class at the top of the heap. Now they're trying to peddle the $500K stretched out "S" class cars that have the Maybach moniker which we all know will depreciate about 40% the minute the owners keys goes into the ignition and flopped last time out (and will most likely do so again, let's face it, only athletes and rock stars will be dumb enough to buy a car that depreciates the way this one will). So a chicken in every pot and a MB in every garage, so much for exclusivity, looks like my next ride will be an Audi A6, I drove a couple of A8's back in 2000 to 2010 and they were great cars, in some ways, better than the "S" I traded in for them. I will consider the new "E" class when it comes out but if my guess is correct it will be about 5% more than an equally equipped "E" available now. That's another beef I have with MB, come rain or shine you can bank on the fact that MB will have a 1% to 3% price increase, it happens every year. When I bought my 2010 "E" class it listed for $58k, the same car today's lists for about $63k, 5 years later the same car lists for $5k more. My guess is a well equipped 2017 "E" class will be just under $68k, so that those that can't pony up the money for an E will just have to settle and I do mean settle for a "C" class, folks, start thinking Audi. To me, MB hast lost its' vision of what they used to be.
Old 03-09-2015, 10:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts
E 350
Originally Posted by 1guitar
How right you are my friend, MB has gone from a luxury nameplate to an "everymans" car. With the 2 exceptions of the "E" and "S" class cars MB really doesn't make an outstanding car that is heads and tails above Audi.
If I were given a choice I'd go for an Audi A3 or A4 before I'd drive one of those junk wagons GLA/CLA. My guess is a well equipped 2017 "E" class will be just under $68k, so that those that can't pony up the money for an E will just have to settle and I do mean settle for a "C" class, folks, start thinking Audi. To me, MB hast lost its' vision of what they used to be.
I agree with most of your points but your comparison of GLA/ CLA to A3/A4 is a little bit off. Don't you think the GLA/ CLA should be compared to Q3 /A3. (Since the A4 is in C class territory). And here the MB offers a good stylistic alternative to those from Audi. BTW the current C class is miles ahead of A4.
Old 03-10-2015, 04:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts
2010 E550 4M P2 Distronic, CLK550 Cab P2
Originally Posted by pamiboy
BTW the current C class is miles ahead of A4.
Pls expand on this one, as I'm not so sure. I'm day 8 in my 15 C300 loaner, and I drove an A4 on an extended test drive in Oct. The C is better looking (exp for the rear), and has a nicer interior, but the power delivery and handling on the A4 was better. If I had to choose between the 2 it would be difficult. I'm a Benz guy, so I'd likely go that way, but it would take some soul searching. Thx
Old 03-10-2015, 05:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 573 Likes on 429 Posts
W212 FL
I see no point of model bashing . These W176 A Class, GLA,CLA aren't even manufactured in Sindelfingen or course that should not become an excuse if you pick some built quality flaws .Because it's a Mercedes overall
CLA, GLA , B Class also use W176 A Class's chassis and I appreciate Mercedes-Benz for getting A Class expose to evolution . W176 definitely exceeds it's predecessors
W176 A Class is an entry level to Mercedes but it's not what it used to be . GLA is a new model and it is a crossover and crossover models are like persons who are looking for their identity or people having identity problems
At this joint, GLA is neither a SUV nor a hatchback . My biggest gripe is the new model called GLE . It's like MB trying to copy BMW X6 .May be in long term this action proves to be lucrative for Mercedes-Benz assuming it would steal some potential X6 customers
Old 03-10-2015, 08:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 74 Likes on 67 Posts
C300 Sport 4Matic
Originally Posted by BenzV12
My biggest gripe is the new model called GLE . It's like MB trying to copy BMW X6 .May be in long term this action proves to be lucrative for Mercedes-Benz assuming it would steal some potential X6 customers
My God that thing called GLE is just hideous!! Watch, I predict that platform is gonna last maybe 2-3 yrs max.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:09 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
What?! I just looked up the GLE and can't even fathom it being real. If their job is to make the X6 actually look good then they've succeeded. Dangerous shift for a brand. At this point it would seem that they might have as many more more models than Toyota? Spreading it way too thin, imo.

Oh how I wish they'd simply focus on getting top marks in quality and dynamics in their core classes rather than excessively diluting themselves and seemingly half assing every new model. The all new cars look like they had the children of the design team design them. The core models are still kept to a more serious design upholding, it appears, but their parent quality is being dragged down which is the the objective problem.

As for the A4. It's definitely a more exciting and dynamic drive than the C300. Forget about the S4, it owns that class still. The The C450 will attempt at it, but the current A4 is on its last year. The next gen comes out next year I believe and will be a closer competitor to the new C in all the modern interior and amenities stuff. Plus it'll likely raise its bar on driving again, as long as it's Quattro.
Old 03-10-2015, 02:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The GLE Coupe is the X6 competitor. The X6 is apparently a success outside of the U.S. with huge amount of them sold since 2007 so MB couldn't resist that niche.

The GLE is what the ML will become with the 2016 model year facelift. The "platform" isn't going anywhere.

M
Old 03-10-2015, 06:12 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
The race to sales and obsession to compete with every "niche" will be the end of what made these brands so special and enthusiast heavy to begin with. All of them who lose their original visions to allow marketers and boardrooms to ransack said brand, mark my words.

BMW has gotten hammered by their enthusiast base with all their hideous confusing niche models. MB is now one upping them on the hideous "niches" it seems, with quality issues to follow.

It's how it happens every time in corporate history, yet the greed never learns. You can't make everything good and look proper if you spread yourself too thin and go too mass market. A niche is okay, but expanding into every one especially within a year? They're becoming more Toyota than Toyota. Specialness of a holistic brand suffers dearly.

Last edited by K-A; 03-11-2015 at 09:58 PM.
Old 03-11-2015, 09:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 74 Likes on 67 Posts
C300 Sport 4Matic
Originally Posted by K-A
The race to sales and obsession to compete with every "niche" will the the end of what made these brands so special and enthusiast heavy to begin with. All of them who lose their original visions to allow marketers and boardrooms to bandage said brand, mark my words.

BMW has gotten hammered by their enthusiast base with all their hideous confusing niche models. MB is now one upping them on the hideous "niches" it seems, with quality issues to follow.

It's how it happens every time in corporate history, yet the greed never learns. You can't make everything good and look proper if you spread yourself too thin and go too mass market. A niche is okay, but expanding into every one especially within a year? They're becoming more Toyota than Toyota. Specialness of a holistic brand suffers dearly.
well said!!
Old 04-08-2015, 04:01 PM
MBW Editor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front Page Coverage

interesting stuff, thought we'd open it up to the front page... https://mbworld.org/articles/gla-wor...es-benz-badge/
Old 04-09-2015, 12:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 Mercedes-Benz C250, Iridium Silver Metallic; 2001 Mercedes-Benz C240, Brilliant Silver Metallic
Originally Posted by Airmousam
Funny you say that, saw a Cx-5 commercial last night, and I'd agree, my son and daughter both have Mazda 3's and they have been very reliable:
That's great that your children have reliable cars, but they do not drive like a Mercedes-Benz (C Class and above). The Merc will have a solid feel that is lacking in the Mazda3 (I've logged extensive driving time in a 2005, and 2010 - they're nice, but definitely don't have the same feel).
Old 04-09-2015, 12:34 AM

2013 Mercedes-Benz C250, Iridium Silver Metallic; 2001 Mercedes-Benz C240, Brilliant Silver Metallic
Originally Posted by 1guitar
How right you are my friend, MB has gone from a luxury nameplate to an "everymans" car.
You are aware that Mercedes-Benz is a mainstream automaker, aren't you? Yes, they do make some basic cars, they also make supercars, and superluxury sedans. They make taxis, vans, agricultural vehicles (Unimog), commercial vehicles, vehicles used for EMS, police vehicles. Yes, they may have slipped here, and there, but what automaker hasn't? They're doing a pretty damn good job.
Old 04-09-2015, 01:14 AM

CLA45 AMG
This is all very interesting. Makes me wonder if any of you calling the CLA/GLA cheap and not deserving of the MB badge have ever been to Europe. MB doesn't just make high end luxury cars. Prior to even introducing the CLA/GLA, they had entry level model (A and B class). Cost reduction is also the same reason why they offer less powerful engines and more basic version of their models all the way up to the S class.

The CLA/GLA isn't aimed at the 50+ typical MB customer who wants a plush floaty ride and usually makes a 6 figures salary or better. It's aimed at those who prefer a sportier ride and/or are in their 20s-30s with not as much disposable income.

People's expectations will vary based on their personal standard. I've driven all 3 models (GLA, CLA and E), including their respective AMG version. To me neither the CLA or GLA are less deserving of the MB badge than any of other models in the MB line up.
Old 04-09-2015, 06:39 AM

w212
Originally Posted by papromike
I honestly cannot believe that MBZ put their badge on the CLA and GLA line of cars.

They are in no way , shape or form a True Mercedes, (especially when compared to an E-Class)

Here are few observations

1. Engine is Buzzy with tons of vibrations might as well be a Hyundai or Kia
2. Interior Fit and Finish is substandard
Cheap Plastic Materials
Seats are Hard and lack Support
Door panel has rattles and just doesnt feel "Solid" like the E
(IMHO, the Audi A3 and A4 are WAAY better built at this price range)
The Radio Nav Screen looks like an aftermarket piece glued to the Dash.
3. Ride is terrible (bucks and shakes over bumps)

The only upside is the back up camera has the lines that follows the wheels turning with distance markers.

If it were me and that is the price range of the MBZ I could afford and had to have new, I would move on.... ITs really a POS...

Dissapointed in MBZ for building this junk...

Totally agree this segment for mercedes is a failure. However, Id like to point out the 2.0L AMG has built is NUTZ!! CLA & GLA 45 AMG is a pretty intense ride one would not expect out of a four cylinder. In fact it does hold the record for most HP per liter from a production motor. (175hp per liter) Thats 350 hp out of this soda bottle. over 30psi out of the turbo....
One last point in MBs defense... The ticking noise you hear is the Direct fuel injection. The fuel is pressurized to something like 200 BAR (about 3000psi) before its injected into the motor. That kinda pressure is gunna make noise and unfortunately that tick you hear is exactly that.
Old 04-09-2015, 06:45 AM

w212
Originally Posted by soolman32
This is all very interesting. Makes me wonder if any of you calling the CLA/GLA cheap and not deserving of the MB badge have ever been to Europe. MB doesn't just make high end luxury cars. Prior to even introducing the CLA/GLA, they had entry level model (A and B class). Cost reduction is also the same reason why they offer less powerful engines and more basic version of their models all the way up to the S class.

The CLA/GLA isn't aimed at the 50+ typical MB customer who wants a plush floaty ride and usually makes a 6 figures salary or better. It's aimed at those who prefer a sportier ride and/or are in their 20s-30s with not as much disposable income.

People's expectations will vary based on their personal standard. I've driven all 3 models (GLA, CLA and E), including their respective AMG version. To me neither the CLA or GLA are less deserving of the MB badge than any of other models in the MB line up.
You're 100% correct and I can agree. But youve got to admit, for $35-$40K the cla - gla 250 are not deserving of that price range.. I mean, whens the last mercedes you seen with a hood prop? hahah!! The car screams budget and th price tag dont correlate.
Old 04-09-2015, 07:32 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,350 Likes on 2,806 Posts
2012 CLS63
that was how I felt about the glk loaner I got once.........can't imagine getting slacker than one of those!
Old 04-09-2015, 08:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
Sometimes better

Originally Posted by W57thNY
That's great that your children have reliable cars, but they do not drive like a Mercedes-Benz (C Class and above). The Merc will have a solid feel that is lacking in the Mazda3 (I've logged extensive driving time in a 2005, and 2010 - they're nice, but definitely don't have the same feel).
Have a 2014 Nissan Rogue SL. Very nicely (fully) equipped. It rides better and quieter than my E350.
Old 04-09-2015, 12:04 PM

C63
Originally Posted by soolman32
It's aimed at those who prefer a sportier ride and/or are in their 20s-30s with not as much disposable income.
they may have that intent, but the competition is too heavy in that segment of the market to rely solely on the fact it's a Mercedes. for that price, you can get much better cars...but without the nameplate. if people cross shop, they will be surprised that the MBs are not nearly the best, and when you start to factor in value regarding options, warranty, etc., that compounds it.

i'm all for MB continuing their successful overseas model of making vehicles at varied price points but there is no excuse to be so lacking on the lower end. if the Koreans and Japanese can do it right, MB can too.
Old 04-09-2015, 12:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts
2010 E550 4M P2 Distronic, CLK550 Cab P2
Originally Posted by W57thNY
That was not my point, I was responding to a Mazda comment, and the discussion did not involve the C class
Old 04-09-2015, 01:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
MB made its US sales success as a reliable, expensive, exclusive foreign car in the 1950's - 1990's. Reliability is now mediocre or worse across the line and has been for years. Still fairly expensive, but Lexus really brought the prices down, even on "C", "E" and "S" classes. Current "C" would sell for $60,000 base considering late '80's prices for the 190 and inflation. Then came Lexus in early '90's.
While CLA and GLA may grab younger leasers, will it keep them in the brand once they see the routine maintenance costs? The frequent, expensive replacement of parts?
Will it really matter if exclusivity goes down? Probably only 1% of US population knows difference between an AMG, "S", CLA, "C", etc. Just as they don't know difference between an A3 and an A8, an ES and an LS.
Old 04-09-2015, 03:50 PM

C220d Avantgarde
It is "fun" to see that somehow the US versions of Mercedes cars ar so much worse compared to the ones in Europe. Over here the A-, CLA- and GLA are at the top of there class. The quality of handling, interior and materials are not at the level described in the previous post. And it is just as reliable as a Mercedes should be. So my question is: what are you doing to these cars in the US to make them like this?

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Dealer gave me a loaner GLA, wow was a POS