E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Dealer gave me a loaner GLA, wow was a POS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 03:58 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Current: '19 E450 Cabriolet - Past: '19 C300 Coupe, '12 SLK350, '16 E350, '14 C250 (x2), '09 CLK350
I think the death of Mercedes, and their associated quality, is greatly exaggerated.

Speaking as someone that grew up in a place where a Mercedes had the prestige of a Bentley (Vermont), I drooled at the few that I saw drove by. Or I watched them drive by while I hopped out of my POS 1987 Honda Accord in the middle of an intersection with a buddy to push-start the manual transmission. I had assorted pieces of junk for a long time, all the way through college. Halfway through college in the year 2002 I was driving a 1988 Acura Integra (man, that was a fun car) with 198k miles on it.

All the while, I was obsessed with the idea of someday being able to buy a Mercedes. I loved the brand, the look, the solid clunk of the doors. I worked my *** off after I got out of college. About 9 years after college I got my first MB, a used '08 CLK 350 with low miles.

There are no words to describe the joy of driving that car off the lot. It was pure automotive heaven. I'd "arrived." Two years later I'm now driving a 2014 C250 Sport because I found a crazy lease deal that I couldn't pass up, and I still love it. I love walking out to my car, and I love it when I take coworkers out for lunch in it. Every non-MB driver loves it.

It's a W204 C, but to me it's more than its four-banger with the touchy, laggy throttle, the seats I wish hugged my back more, and the rougher ride than the more expensive models. I love going out to the car and driving it every day. Why? Because it's a Benz, and I worked for and earned it. It's a blast to drive in Sport mode, and I haven't had a single issue with it outside of the crappy wipers.

I suspect that this feeling I describe is what some drivers of the CLA and GLA feel when they get into their Benz for the first time (as the C used to be the bottom rung), and this "magic" is what Mercedes is trying to generate. If the cars don't live up to that, consumers will vote with their wallets and purses.

That being said, I personally think the CLA and GLA are too small, so I'd definitely go with a higher range CPO model. But I don't think they are the death knell of Mercedes, its quality, or anything like that.

Last edited by BlankProc; 04-09-2015 at 04:02 PM.
Old 04-09-2015, 04:39 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Current: 2007 E350 P1 and P2
Jeez, you guys think this car is ugly?

Old 04-09-2015, 06:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 E250 BT 4M
Originally Posted by MoneyVSOP
I think the death of Mercedes, and their associated quality, is greatly exaggerated.
That being said, I personally think the CLA and GLA are too small, so I'd definitely go with a higher range CPO model. But I don't think they are the death knell of Mercedes, its quality, or anything like that.
Since MY2007, MB Canada has offered the B Class in Canada. The 1st generation T245 was a solidly built, very practical 5 door hatchback, perhaps slightly under powered unless you went for the B200 Turbo version.

The 2nd generation B Class, W246, arrived as MY2013 in Canada. Featuring numerous improvements over the 1st B Class, this car is a good seller in Canada. It has a huge interior space, it drives and rides well and it has plenty of get up and go with its 208HP turbo 4 cylinder (same engine as W204-C250). Both versions of the B Class are superior, IMO, to the cheaply built CLA.

It's not a matter of size, the CLA is significantly longer than a B Class, but rather the overall quality of the product. The CLA simply does not deserve to feature the Three Pointed Star. It's not only a poorly styled car, it has a cramped interior and it does not measure up to the build quality of any other Mercedes, including the B Class !!!

For anyone who hasn't driven a CLA, you would be shocked to compare this car to any C Class, let alone any other MB model.
Old 04-09-2015, 06:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 e55
Originally Posted by Streamliner
And one thing nobody thinks about: These new entry level cars MB is marketing, will mostly be sold to younger people. These are most likely up and coming future executives and potentially prosperous individuals. If they have a bad experience with these low end MB cars, that could turn them OFF on the brand forever. The next car they get might be a nice Hyundai or even a Lexus and with the experience of one of those brands, they may NEVER even consider the three pointed star ever again. The bean counters in Stuttgart should stay awake nights worrying about that.

I have experience with this. I am mid-20s up and comer.

I had $10k to burn on a car, and was expecting to put a down payment for a certified pre-owned e class or something.

The benzes I fell in love with, the mid to late 90's cars... these cars had an air to them. I get what benz is trying to do, they want everyone to have an mb.However, there is a departure here from why people my age fell in love with benz. These cars don't have the same exclusivity, refinement, etc when compared to "lesser" manufacturers.

Back in the day, the margin between toyota and benz was huge. Not even in the same class. Now, I swear there's people that can't tell the difference between some Hondas and a CLA or GLA, besides the there pointed star. The problem: the internet. People aren't stupid, and the three pointed star can't sell cars on it's own anymore... not with forums like this and consumer reviews where the truth is there for everyone to see. Benz is having an identity crisis I think. In a world where borders have shrunk so much, and Hyundai is breathing down mb's neck... this is an inopportune time.

I ended up buying a 2000 w210 e55 cash... and it impresses me every day.
Old 04-09-2015, 07:35 PM

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
2010 E350, Sold 1998 C230
Originally Posted by hummerhealey
It is "fun" to see that somehow the US versions of Mercedes cars ar so much worse compared to the ones in Europe. Over here the A-, CLA- and GLA are at the top of there class. The quality of handling, interior and materials are not at the level described in the previous post. And it is just as reliable as a Mercedes should be. So my question is: what are you doing to these cars in the US to make them like this?

The cars are not really different between the US versions and Europe in terms of quality. Ours may be a bit more tricked out to satisfy our concept of luxury. What is really different is our expectations. Americans tend to treat cars as appliances, things that we expect to run day in and day out without much thought or want of upkeep. Europeans I think have a more pragmatic approach to what it means to own a car and their expectations are that they need to keep up with maintenance and are willing to deal with repairs when necessary. All those MB taxi's with hundreds of thousands of miles didn't get there without the routine service and ongoing repair work.

We've been spoiled by the Hondas and Toyotas over the last 20 years that you can drive day in and day out without much more thought than putting gas in the tank and throwing in new tires and a battery every now and then. Flush out all the brake lines every two years, who does that on their Accords or Camry's? Why aren't Benz's as bulletproof, I think its just the way designed. When you over engineer things, you just have more opportunities for things to break. But its the over engineering that we love about the brand.

I've not driven the gla or cla. Looked at them at the showroom and auto show, but that's about it. I was a bit disappointed to see they hold the hood up with a prop rod and the tablet in the dash is just a bad design feature. I did drive one of the 2014 C250's and while it was nice enough, I wasn't crazy about the feel of the ride or the turbo lag on the engine. But my guess is that in 5 or 10 years, most cars (not just MB) if they are still propelled by a gas engine will be using a 4 banger with a turbo. And they will lighten them more and more for gas mileage which won't help them feel "Solid". MB is following the direction of the rest of the industry. I doubt they could stay in business if they didn't.
Old 04-09-2015, 07:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLA45 AMG
Originally Posted by hummerhealey
It is "fun" to see that somehow the US versions of Mercedes cars ar so much worse compared to the ones in Europe. Over here the A-, CLA- and GLA are at the top of there class. The quality of handling, interior and materials are not at the level described in the previous post. And it is just as reliable as a Mercedes should be. So my question is: what are you doing to these cars in the US to make them like this?
Nothing lol I honestly get the feeling some of the people here (USA) have this feeling that they have truly "arrived" and are driving this elite luxury vehicle when they purchase a MB, fill in blank model, car. Now that the brand is more accessible in the U.S. (like the rest of the world), they fear for the perceived status they feel they've established by buying an E class (as an example).

This elitist attitude and the general consensus in the U.S. that bigger is better is the reason many European automakers don't offer their full range to our market.

No car is perfect and typically the more upmarket you go, the more maintenance they require. My advice to people is do your research and know what you're buying.

Last edited by soolman32; 04-09-2015 at 08:07 PM.
Old 04-09-2015, 07:58 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Originally Posted by bluechipbenz
I have experience with this. I am mid-20s up and comer.

I had $10k to burn on a car, and was expecting to put a down payment for a certified pre-owned e class or something.

The benzes I fell in love with, the mid to late 90's cars... these cars had an air to them. I get what benz is trying to do, they want everyone to have an mb.However, there is a departure here from why people my age fell in love with benz. These cars don't have the same exclusivity, refinement, etc when compared to "lesser" manufacturers.

Back in the day, the margin between toyota and benz was huge. Not even in the same class. Now, I swear there's people that can't tell the difference between some Hondas and a CLA or GLA, besides the there pointed star. The problem: the internet. People aren't stupid, and the three pointed star can't sell cars on it's own anymore... not with forums like this and consumer reviews where the truth is there for everyone to see. Benz is having an identity crisis I think. In a world where borders have shrunk so much, and Hyundai is breathing down mb's neck... this is an inopportune time.

I ended up buying a 2000 w210 e55 cash... and it impresses me every day.
I have the same feelings. I don't think it's a coincidence that as the entry cars become genuine POS's and actually start truly lacking from generic/mass brand intended (of which M-B has basically become in itself) consumer cars in drive and overall refinement (honestly, the CLA is a lesser car than the Mazda 3, easily, if you ask me), the Star on the grill becomes more and more disproportionately huge. And they start using the Star on every single model. No coincidence either that this CLA introduced what I thought was a joke, being the "light up Star". Really, a lit up star on a car that CR called "150% worse ranking than the average car" or that resembles some of the worst quality in an M-B, this side of a 90's A Class? One that has been a large contributor to M-B's quality rankings after finally getting back near the top, plummeting toward the bottom again?

Daimler corporate has a big and cognizant reason as to why they're doing that. As the value of their entry products get lower and lower (i.e what was once the C, now is the CLA/GLA/who knows what), they start exploiting and leveraging their brand to be their sole selling point of these lower segment models. After 100+ years of building brand cachet via their forefathers creating value in PRODUCTS that then created said brand cachet, of course they can release and sell in droves cars that don't deserve the name "Mercedes" but thanks to corporate bloat chasing greed, have seen the light of day. But as a long term outlook and brand value effector, it's a terrible idea. These cars and all that will resemble them will be major contributors to how generations in 10, 20+ years view Mercedes, and that shift starts day by day.
Old 04-09-2015, 08:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 GL450, 2013 Lexus GS350 F-Sport
Interesting comment at 5:56 in this video:

Old 04-09-2015, 08:41 PM

2013 E63 Bi Turbo PP

The Gla/Cla platform is built to a price not highly engineered like the C, E & S class's they are cost efficient bread and butter models based on a FWD/awd platform not RWD/AWD platform.

They exist for one purpose to bring a new audience of customers to buy MB cars; these customers who have been targeted are the younger generation with fewer funds at their disposal but want the **** factor of having M-B badge regardless of the quality of the car.

M-B has to sell these cars to increase their market share and compete in the ever more competitive automotive industry.

As the old saying goes you get what you pay for.

In my opinion the real entry level M-B car is the c-class anything below is not a true M-B.

Old 04-10-2015, 09:19 AM

2010 E-Class
Originally Posted by Streamliner
And one thing nobody thinks about: These new entry level cars MB is marketing, will mostly be sold to younger people. These are most likely up and coming future executives and potentially prosperous individuals. If they have a bad experience with these low end MB cars, that could turn them OFF on the brand forever. The next car they get might be a nice Hyundai or even a Lexus and with the experience of one of those brands, they may NEVER even consider the three pointed star ever again. The bean counters in Stuttgart should stay awake nights worrying about that.
Ahh well it's a good thing this 22 year old went with a older model E-class because I'm in love with it and the quality is top notch. I personally think the cla and gla are ugly, that GPS screen sticking out like that..I couldn't believe MB went that route and looks like most of their line ups are switching to that.

Regardless I got no problem going with 2010 e class then the newer cla or gla
Old 04-10-2015, 11:23 AM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
14' E63S
I gotta chime in here.

So I am just getting into my mid twenties this month and last year I as well picked up a benz. Why? Because its a Benz and it was made in Germany

I always wanted to get a 2009 E36 but I couldn't fathom driving RWD in the Winter here. So I opted in to a Loaded W204 C300 4Matic, and am in love with the fit and finish, how quiet and smooth the engine is and how crazy good on gas it is when you are going 140km/h on the highway. (I can get almost 800km going at a constant 140-160 on the highway here. AMAZING!!!

The other thing is the cars just look classy and still have that status that Mercedes built years back and are somewhat rare too. But I don't think i would by the new W205 at all not even the GLA or the CLA.

Yea the CLA45 and the GLA45 are fun cars but I am buying a Mercedes to have fun and feel luxurious. I am expecting leather everywhere, great fit and finish, etc. Like a Fully decked out GLA45 AMG here will cost around $68K all in with all the packages.

FUnny thing is for that kind of money I can buy a Brand New Fully Loaded Audi SQ5. Now, not only will the fit and finish will be better, but its still powerful, bigger and its bigger. SO I think the pricing for an "Entry Level" AMG is just ridiculous and especially a GLA.

Now if I were to upgrade I would only upgrade tot he E63 AMG S or the new C63 AMG S. The seem like the fit and finish is better than the regular models but I could be wrong.
Old 04-10-2015, 02:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
Yes

Originally Posted by Wodeshed
Jeez, you guys think this car is ugly?

Yes - you asked.
Old 04-10-2015, 02:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hve to disagree

Originally Posted by soolman32
This elitist attitude and the general consensus in the U.S. that bigger is better is the reason many European automakers don't offer their full range to our market.
The American market began turning away from "bigger is better" before 1960 Cars have gotten progressivly smaller ever since. Look at the top selling sedans in US. European automakers don't offer their full range in US because Americans wouldn't purchase them. Not to mention not wanting to comply with fuel efficiency, pollution and safety standards. Then factor in the low reliability and high maintenance costs.

Originally Posted by soolman32
No car is perfect and typically the more upmarket you go, the more maintenance they require.
Not sure about this. There are many "upmarket" vehicles that require far, far less maintenance than MB.
Regardless, why should an MB or other upmarket car require more maintenance than other cars? Let's just ignore the higher cost of upmarket maintenance. Why should the "Best or Nothing" have a warranty half that of any Hyundai or Kia or require transmissions services four times the rate of Asian and American cars?
Old 04-11-2015, 04:12 AM

2013 E63 Bi Turbo PP
Originally Posted by Andriy242

Now if I were to upgrade I would only upgrade tot he E63 AMG S or the new C63 AMG S. The seem like the fit and finish is better than the regular models but I could be wrong.

You would be wrong, the build quality of an E63s is the same as a base E250 no difference in the car.
I have 2013 E63 AMG S in RHD and RWD. The W211 was a far better built car than the W212. I hope this changes with the W213. Don't get me wrong the built quality is still light years ahead of the cla/gla etc.
Old 04-11-2015, 09:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 E-350
Originally Posted by El Cid
Probably only 1% of US population knows difference between an AMG, "S", CLA, "C", etc. Just as they don't know difference between an A3 and an A8, an ES and an LS.
This is true, if anything you're being generous with 1%

If someone asks me what I'm driving and I say "E-350" they will look confused, the second the words "Mercedes Benz" are uttered then it's automatically assumed that it's a rich man's car, must be nice, I should pay more in taxes, blah blah, blah.

The fact that it was a 2 year old CPO car that probably cost me less then the auto ignorant person driving a new Tahoe, minivan, loaded Accord goes right out of the window when they see the MB name, BMW and Audi suffer the same ignorance from the masses IMO
Old 04-14-2015, 01:59 AM

2023 E63S Sedan
This thread is juvenile and does not belong in this forum, but I'll bite.

I got a nearly-loaded 2015 CLA250 a couple months ago and I, a single guy, find it a fabulous ride. There is enough room for me inside, the suspension is smooth yet firm for when I want to drive through the twisty roads, and I haven't had a single problem with it. None. Zero. Zilch.

Obviously, the CLA and GLA cater to a different market than those who will be going for higher end classes (C, E, S, ML, etc.). Those cars are heavier and drive with more authority than the CLA & GLA. The CLA & GLA (and related classes such as A and B) are meant to be sportier and more economic vehicles and not plush luxury cruisers like the classes that I mentioned above. The price difference shows this.

Even then, it is truly humbling that my CLA has nearly as much technology as an S-Class did not more than two years ago. It's solid, practical, powerful yet efficient, and has everything that I would expect from a Mercedes-Benz. It glides down the road and looks like a million dollars, with its aggressive styling and LED DRLs complete with eagle-eyed bi-xenon lights. It draws stares and compliments from people. At its core, it feels like a Mercedes-Benz. The interior is gorgeous. Have you people conveniently forgotten the cheap plastic interiors of the W204, which was still a hit? And even my mom's W164 has more plastics inside than my CLA. It's solid and I haven't heard a single rattle or had a single complaint. On delivery weekend here in snowy Colorado, the CLA took me ~20 miles in shin-deep snow without a single hitch, tracked wonderfully on the slippery roads without a single skid or lock-up, all while I was peacefully listening to some classic rock on the amazing H/K sound system. Isn't that the essence of Mercedes?

It's borderline sinful to be comparing a well-R&D'd and engineered Mercedes-Benz to a Kia/Hyundai/Honda/whatever....

This is coming from a guy who's driven numerous W204s, W212s, a W220 and W221, and a W205 and spent a lot of time in each of these vehicles. And my mother owns a 2008 ML350 (W164). Mercedes-Benz as a whole makes fabulous cars, and each, from the CLA250 to E-Class (just read this forum!) to the S65 AMG, will have its quirks, as with any automobile. I just don't get the people that seem to LOVE CLA/GLA bashing.

It amazes me that there are those who are insecure enough that they go around dictating what they believe is or isn't a "real" Mercedes-Benz and feel the need to assert their "dominance" by not getting a CLA/GLA. Just shut up and enjoy your vehicle and let others enjoy theirs.

It's funny how you don't get people outside of the USA coming onto MB forums and bashing the A- and B-Classes. Coincidence?

Last edited by Benz_Guy; 04-14-2015 at 02:49 AM.
Old 04-14-2015, 08:27 AM

Received 64 Likes on 37 Posts
E300-4matic
Point Missed

My friend I think you're missing the point here, is the "juice worth the squeeze"? The car you are driving that you speak so glowingly about is about 20% more than a comparably equipped Toyota, Honda, etc., I understand that you seem quite satisfied but I wonder what you'll think of your dream boat after a few years when things start to break and MB parts aren't cheap! My point is simple, you talk of C, E, & S class owners being snobs, I'm wondering why you spent quite a bit of money for a car that may look nice to you but is certainly untested and not tried nor true like Hondas or Toyotas that typically go 200k to 250k miles. Since I think it's safe to assume you are under 40 you should know that the engine in your beloved MB is turbo charged, that device was invented by the GE company during WW2 and was used to compress the engine vapors in the engines cylinders in high altitude bombers and fighter planes so that the Army (there was no US Air Force then) could get the most out of their engines that had very short life spans, an overhall would be needed every 50 hours. My point here is that MB uses the same techology in the engine in your car, more power thru the use of very ancient technolgy and those turbos burn out fast, in about 5 years from now, perhaps less if you're a "hard driver" your beauty will be needing a new turbo charger, it's about a $2,500 repair, perhaps you then will wonder why you bought the steed you are now boasting about.
Old 04-14-2015, 10:33 AM

C63
Originally Posted by Benz_Guy

It's borderline sinful to be comparing a well-R&D'd and engineered Mercedes-Benz to a Kia/Hyundai/Honda/whatever....
first of all, i am happy that you are into the car so much. that is sensational. being pleased with such a major purchase is ideal.

but, i disagree on your assessment of comparison.

similar quality, better warranty (if you plan on staying in it), same equipment (if not more) and BETTER PRICE for similar everything.

the only thing that separates the lower line stuff from competitors is styling (not equipment), the brand and price.

new asian stuff is specifically targeting the germans...and not necessarily the german "entry level stuff"...and they are doing a good job.

Last edited by builthatch; 04-14-2015 at 10:47 AM.
Old 04-14-2015, 12:48 PM

2023 E63S Sedan
Originally Posted by 1guitar
My friend I think you're missing the point here, is the "juice worth the squeeze"? The car you are driving that you speak so glowingly about is about 20% more than a comparably equipped Toyota, Honda, etc., I understand that you seem quite satisfied but I wonder what you'll think of your dream boat after a few years when things start to break and MB parts aren't cheap! My point is simple, you talk of C, E, & S class owners being snobs, I'm wondering why you spent quite a bit of money for a car that may look nice to you but is certainly untested and not tried nor true like Hondas or Toyotas that typically go 200k to 250k miles. Since I think it's safe to assume you are under 40 you should know that the engine in your beloved MB is turbo charged, that device was invented by the GE company during WW2 and was used to compress the engine vapors in the engines cylinders in high altitude bombers and fighter planes so that the Army (there was no US Air Force then) could get the most out of their engines that had very short life spans, an overhall would be needed every 50 hours. My point here is that MB uses the same techology in the engine in your car, more power thru the use of very ancient technolgy and those turbos burn out fast, in about 5 years from now, perhaps less if you're a "hard driver" your beauty will be needing a new turbo charger, it's about a $2,500 repair, perhaps you then will wonder why you bought the steed you are now boasting about.
Your post is in a condescending tone, as if I'm just a stupid kid who bought a CLA because he has no idea what he's doing.

I beg to differ.

I know that it's like to maintain a Mercedes. We had one in the house for 7 years before I got mine. I know what it's like when things break. In fact, the repairs on the ML are probably more expensive than my CLA will ever be. However, I still bought mine, because I'm willing to bear the risk, and am in a position to do so.

I didn't buy a Honda or Toyota. Why? Because, it's a Honda or a Toyota. Don't get me wrong, we have a Honda Fit in the house and it's been flawless, and the price we got and the value for the money is astounding. Sure they're reliable and will go for hundreds of thousands of miles.

But, so do well-maintained Benzes - sometimes in the millions of miles, in fact - so what's your point? I personally find my CLA much more exciting to drive, and it has that vault-like feel I've come to expect from MB. And I know what I paid for: see my reply to the other poster down below. If you like Honda or Toyota so much and think they're a far better value for money, then why did you buy an E350?

Also, I know perfectly well what a turbocharger is and how it works. Again, a well-maintained car, combined with the way I baby mine, makes me not worry. My close friend's 2003 Audi has 190,000 miles on it with the original turbocharger because he treats his car the way I treat mine. I care for it. I even have a 1997 Ford Explorer that's approaching 150,000 mi with 0 major problems, because I took care of it.

It might interest you to know that the only NA cars in Mercedes-Benz's US lineup are the GLK350, ML350, E350, SLK350, and G550. Did you know everything else is a turbo inline-4, biturbo V6, biturbo V8, or biturbo V12? I am going to trust that MB knows what they're doing with their turbochargers.

So, thanks for the "concern," but I'm not worried, and I do think the "juice is worth the squeeze," as you put it.

Originally Posted by builthatch
similar quality, better warranty (if you plan on staying in it), same equipment (if not more) and BETTER PRICE for similar everything.

the only thing that separates the lower line stuff from competitors is styling (not equipment), the brand and price.

new asian stuff is specifically targeting the germans...and not necessarily the german "entry level stuff"...and they are doing a good job.
Thanks for your reply. I won't deny that part of the price is definitely the brand, but that's true with ALL luxury marques.

But I don't think I'll ever get the same driving experience in a Japanese car as I would in an MB. While I might have paid more for a CLA, I feel I am definitely paying for the driving feel and the way it goes down the road with a vault-like feel as I described to the other poster. Plus, the 2015 CLAs have some very nice standard features that I wouldn't expect in a similar class of Japanese vehicles, so I still think equipment at least plays a small part in the competition.

It's true that I would want some of these German manufacturers, including MB, to give us a better warranty. Only time will tell, I guess.

I definitely will agree that the Asians are coming after the Germans with fury, and I'm interested to see how that pans out.

Last edited by Benz_Guy; 04-14-2015 at 01:44 PM.
Old 04-14-2015, 12:51 PM

Received 64 Likes on 37 Posts
E300-4matic
Bring us your ignorant, your stupid and everybody else!

"It's borderline sinful to be comparing a well-R&D'd and engineered Mercedes-Benz to a Kia/Hyundai/Honda/whatever...."

And here for all of you boys and girls at altitudes where there is actual oxygen in the atmosphere is the penultimate statement of one persons' moronically blind belief that the engineers at MB are some how more able at their craft than the engineers at Honda/Kia/etc., an uneducated viewpoint to say the very least.
Old 04-14-2015, 01:08 PM

2023 E63S Sedan
Originally Posted by 1guitar
"It's borderline sinful to be comparing a well-R&D'd and engineered Mercedes-Benz to a Kia/Hyundai/Honda/whatever...."

And here for all of you boys and girls at altitudes where there is actual oxygen in the atmosphere is the penultimate statement of one persons' moronically blind belief that the engineers at MB are some how more able at their craft than the engineers at Honda/Kia/etc., an uneducated viewpoint to say the very least.
You've successfully crossed the line from being rude to now being childish on top of it all.

I never called the engineers at those other brands "worse at their craft." My point is that I, in addition to 95% of people on this planet, won't compare the engineering of a Honda/Kia/whatever to that of a longtime luxury German brand.

I'll just sit here and watch you call me names and attempt to put words in my mouth to try to meaninglessly prove your point. You're really bringing out some of the worst of MBWorld.

I'm done wasting my energy trying to talk to you. I respect your opinions, but they mean nothing to me, and I'm sure mine mean nothing to you.

Go buy a Kia. I'll go and enjoy my CLA250. Hell, I'll happily take your E350 off your hands if you do.

Last edited by Benz_Guy; 04-14-2015 at 01:32 PM.
Old 04-14-2015, 02:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts
2010 E550 4M P2 Distronic, CLK550 Cab P2
Benz guy. Your replies are well done and thought out and glad you're happy, as that's the name of the game with cars. Only thing on the CLA I won't give you is powerful, cause it's not. I had actually ordered one before the configurator was even up. I bailed after seeing it live at the NYC auto show. Fit and finish on the 14 was lacking, but understand it's improved on the 15... Looked great on the Kate Upton commercial Lol...I did also drive one and it really lacked power for me (ended up with an E350) I'm sure the CLA45 is a different story. Great looking car tho, and hope it does well. Others will disagree, but MB does need to play in this space in the US, and they already are elsewhere with A and B class. S and E class owners will scream oh, the horror and damage to the brand blah blah blah....good luck!!
Old 04-14-2015, 05:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The Germans do not engineer their cars any better than the Asians. Please don't just refer to Japanese. They engineer them differently, which often is not a good thing. If German cars were "better engineered," they would offer a 100,000/10 year warranty. German cars have had lower reliability/higher costs to maintain than Asian cars for decades.
A very key part of purchase decision in US for MB, Lexus, BMW, et.al. is the badge. Even for those who remove it. Many may deny it, but it is true. That's where MB advertising, marketing, accessories catalogs, events, etc. are focused.
BTW, Benz_Guy, don't say something is juvenile and then post. Does that make you "juvenile?"
Old 04-14-2015, 07:09 PM

2023 E63S Sedan
The Germans do not engineer their cars any better than the Asians. Please don't just refer to Japanese. They engineer them differently, which often is not a good thing.
A very key part of purchase decision in US for MB, Lexus, BMW, et.al. is the badge. Even for those who remove it. Many may deny it, but it is true. That's where MB advertising, marketing, accessories catalogs, events, etc. are focused.
El Cid,

Thanks for your reply. I will agree with you, you worded the engineering part better than I did. I will admit that.

I just feel like you won't get the level of precision and attention to detail with other brands as you will with German automakers, or really anything engineered by the Germans at all. Again, I am speaking only from my sole experience, and it's true that this can be either good or bad, regardless of brand.

We have never had any problem with our 2008 ML outside of warranty and my CLA, though it has only 915 miles on it, has also been trouble-free. So, I say again, I speak from my own experiences; YMMV.

Badging can apply to anything. Cars, electronics, houses, etc. So of course those badges will attract buyers.

BTW, Benz_Guy, don't say something is juvenile and then post. Does that make you "juvenile?"
No, it doesn't. I can post as freely as I want to and share my opinions, just as you can I'm sure. Opinions will be different. That's why they are called opinions.

What I was referring to was the collective throwing of figurative rocks at the CLA/GLA by self-proclaimed MB experts in this thread (read: the likes of 1guitar and such), and then insulting the car and whoever owns it and chimes in with good experiences with those vehicles. It goes against the spirit of good and open discussion that this forum is supposed to be about. We all love our MBs, I'm sure.

I'm all for people having their opinions of what a better car is and what isn't. But that doesn't mean an S or an E owner can aggressively put down the CLA/GLA and its owners, does it?
Old 04-14-2015, 09:44 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2018 Lexus LS500
My E was in for service and got a base cla, while the guy next to me who had brought in a cla managed to get a gl450. I was livid.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Dealer gave me a loaner GLA, wow was a POS