'13 Wagon - Purchase Add-On Questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-21-2015, 09:58 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
2017 E400 Wagon Black/Black MB Tex P1 & Sport Wheel Package
'13 Wagon - Purchase Add-On Questions

Hello -

I will be buying a '13 CPO wagon before month-end with a 2-year extended warranty but wanted to get opinions about other add-ons offered which I never bought in past as I did not intend to keep vehicles as long as we did (this wagon replacing an '04 wagon & we also have a '10 GLK) but will likely keep this wagon TFN as well.

Dealer is offering a discount on 2-year warranty as well as:

Prepaid Maintenance (car has had 10k service done already & just went through CPO) - either 2/24k for $1,050 or 3/36K for $1,400. Curious if I will get to use the 3rd one if car currently has 13,000 miles. Wouldn't I have to use all 3 before car hits 36k miles and I won't be due for next service until I get to 20K. I average about 6K/year.

Tire & Wheel Protection - 4 years - $1,280

Dent Repair - 4 year - $300

ResistAll - $795

2.99% Financing with reduction for Auto Pay.

Appreciate any feedback ASAP.

Thanks.
Old 03-21-2015, 10:21 PM

Correction on the prepaid maintenance - it's for 36 months or 30k miles not 36k miles.
Old 03-22-2015, 12:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 E250 BT 4M
add-ons ?

The prepaid maintenance might be worth while, assuming that you take your car in for annual service despite the low mileage.

I would suggest that you pass on the other extras. A paint protection package, consisting of hard wax application (not the film)might be worth considering, IF it comes with a guarantee against environmental damage to the paint for 4-5 years.

For example: MB Canada dealers offer a 'Platinum Paint Protection' package for new cars; the wax treatment is guaranteed for three years and the warranty against any type of environmental damage (pollution, bird droppings, etc.) is for 5 years. Cost for E Class is $595.

Tire and wheel insurance seems pricey, unless your past experience suggests frequent damage to tires/wheels. For $1280, you could replace 4 tires or one tire per year. You have to decide, how likely is this to occur ? In over 50 years of driving, I have never had to replace a wheel. If the 2013 wagon you are purchasing has Run Flat tires, you might consider the tire & wheel insurance, since RFTs cannot be repaired in the event of a flat. For regular radials, I would not consider the insurance at the quoted price.

Finally, the quoted finance rate of 2.99%. Does the dealer offer any 'loyalty' discount on this rate ? Is this rate determined by the dealer of by MBUSA ? By way of comparison, MB Canada is currently offering 0.6% financing on CPO E Class !

Last edited by DerekACS; 03-22-2015 at 01:08 AM.
Old 03-22-2015, 10:14 AM

Thanks.

The tires are run flats and we do have a lot of potholes and construction where I live.

I wasn't sure if I was doing the math right to figure out how the prepaid maintenance works. I assume it would be for the 20/30/40k mile ones but I will never get to 40k miles in 3 years. My 2010 onjy has 30k miles and I bought it new when they first came out. We just don't put a lot of mileage on our vehicles.

As far as financing this is the manufacturer rate and I am not sure anyone is doing lower. My credit union is about the same. I'll get one month - up to $600 - payment free in current promotion. I can get a few dollars off per month if I enroll in auto pay but I don't like anyone debiting my bank account.

Thanks.
Old 03-22-2015, 05:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2018 GLS 550; 2018 Volvo XC90
Originally Posted by balthus
Thanks.

As far as financing this is the manufacturer rate and I am not sure anyone is doing lower. My credit union is about the same. I'll get one month - up to $600 - payment free in current promotion. I can get a few dollars off per month if I enroll in auto pay but I don't like anyone debiting my bank account.

Thanks.
If you're still considering other options for financing, I can recommend Air Force Federal Credit Union. I just financed my 2015 wagon for 1.6%, zero down, for 72 months (available for new and used car loans). They don't require direct deposit or autopay. They have been awesome to work with so far, both by phone and by e-mail. Quick to respond and easy to work with remotely, since they're in TX and I'm in CA. If you're not affiliated with the military, anyone can become a member if you also pay $25 to join the Airmen's Heritage Foundation.

Also, when I told the MB dealer my loan terms, MB Finance offered to beat it with 1.49%, 72 mos, zero down IF I prepaid for my maintenance. I opted not to do that, in part because Air Force FCU has been so pleasant to work with so far. But perhaps this info can give you some leverage if you're still negotiating terms.
Old 03-22-2015, 05:53 PM

Thanks for this info. I am not affiliated with the military but that's a great rate. I will also see if my dealer with match!

Originally Posted by Beemie
If you're still considering other options for financing, I can recommend Air Force Federal Credit Union. I just financed my 2015 wagon for 1.6%, zero down, for 72 months (available for new and used car loans). They don't require direct deposit or autopay. They have been awesome to work with so far, both by phone and by e-mail. Quick to respond and easy to work with remotely, since they're in TX and I'm in CA. If you're not affiliated with the military, anyone can become a member if you also pay $25 to join the Airmen's Heritage Foundation.

Also, when I told the MB dealer my loan terms, MB Finance offered to beat it with 1.49%, 72 mos, zero down IF I prepaid for my maintenance. I opted not to do that, in part because Air Force FCU has been so pleasant to work with so far. But perhaps this info can give you some leverage if you're still negotiating terms.
Old 03-22-2015, 09:28 PM

'14 E350 wagon; BMW G12 (2020) G01 (2019)
If you live in an area like pot-hole infested NY, tire and wheel insurance is a good idea. I had it on my past E550 and two wheels and two tires were replaced. I have it on a '14 BMW and I have had all four wheels repaired.

The potholes here are like amoebas. They divide and multiply on their own. Some have grown to be craters, know to swallow small animals.
Old 03-22-2015, 11:41 PM

Terrible where I am as well so between the potholes & run flat tires, I think I will. Thanks.

Originally Posted by weinschela
If you live in an area like pot-hole infested NY, tire and wheel insurance is a good idea. I had it on my past E550 and two wheels and two tires were replaced. I have it on a '14 BMW and I have had all four wheels repaired.

The potholes here are like amoebas. They divide and multiply on their own. Some have grown to be craters, know to swallow small animals.
Old 03-24-2015, 09:29 AM

Thanks for feedback. I am going to go ahead and purchase via MBCC (got a drop on rate), buy the extended warranty & tire/dent options upfront & not roll into loan & wait on purchasing prepaid maintenance as I was told I can do that at any time & I won't need anything for a year. Passing on the ResistAll. Excited about our new "slightly preowned" wagon and will be picking her up later next week after they finish CPO and I get back from a trip to visit family. Thanks.

Originally Posted by balthus
Hello -

I will be buying a '13 CPO wagon before month-end with a 2-year extended warranty but wanted to get opinions about other add-ons offered which I never bought in past as I did not intend to keep vehicles as long as we did (this wagon replacing an '04 wagon & we also have a '10 GLK) but will likely keep this wagon TFN as well.

Dealer is offering a discount on 2-year warranty as well as:

Prepaid Maintenance (car has had 10k service done already & just went through CPO) - either 2/24k for $1,050 or 3/36K for $1,400. Curious if I will get to use the 3rd one if car currently has 13,000 miles. Wouldn't I have to use all 3 before car hits 36k miles and I won't be due for next service until I get to 20K. I average about 6K/year.

Tire & Wheel Protection - 4 years - $1,280

Dent Repair - 4 year - $300

ResistAll - $795

2.99% Financing with reduction for Auto Pay.

Appreciate any feedback ASAP.

Thanks.
Old 03-24-2015, 06:21 PM

2018 GLS 550; 2018 Volvo XC90
Congratulations! Glad you were able to get a drop on the rate too. These wagons are so amazing and such head turners. I usually take the train to work but I've been sitting in rush hour traffic this past week just so I could spend some quality time with it
Enjoy, and post pictures when you get it!