MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W212) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212-109/)
-   -   Life after warranty (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212/585991-life-after-warranty.html)

tate16t 05-16-2015 09:22 AM

Life after warranty

I have a 2010 E350 and the warranty is ending in a few months. I have GEICO Mechanical Breakdown insurance and may not purchase an extended warranty from MB.

Questions...

1. Can I still purchase prepaid maintenance from MB?
2. What extra cost might I experience when out of warranty?
3. Has anyone else had experience with GEICO Mechanical Breakdown Insurance?

thefisch 05-16-2015 12:40 PM

Which warranty is about to run out? The MB B2B must be expired by now on a 2010. Maybe a CPO that you are looking to extend for 2 more years?

The prepaid maintenance can be purchased up until the vehicle has 80k miles. Many threads on here with advice on those.

PeterUbers 05-16-2015 01:04 PM

But do you need both the geico insurance and the extended cpo?

What are the terms of the geico

tate16t 05-16-2015 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by thefisch (Post 6434933)
Which warranty is about to run out? The MB B2B must be expired by now on a 2010. Maybe a CPO that you are looking to extend for 2 more years?

The prepaid maintenance can be purchased up until the vehicle has 80k miles. Many threads on here with advice on those.

CPO is expiring.

tate16t 05-16-2015 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by PeterUbers (Post 6434952)
But do you need both the geico insurance and the extended cpo?

What are the terms of the geico

https://www.geico.com/getaquote/auto...own-insurance/

I did a search here on MBWorld and a few have used it without issue.

PeterUbers 05-16-2015 01:24 PM

After reading that I would just stick with the geico you already have

thefisch 05-16-2015 01:26 PM

Have you read the detailed terms of the GEICO to compare? I didn't see specific terms on that linked page. Website says it covers everything except regualr maintenance but calling it mechanical breakdown doesn't give me an impression of broad coverage but the details of the coverage are what matters, not the name.

How much is the geico coverage versus extended CPO?

thefisch 05-16-2015 01:33 PM

Just saw this part:
Your new car is your baby, so it deserves a little extra protection. MBI is available for new or leased cars that are less than 15 months old and with less than 15,000 miles.
Once you've purchased MBI, you can renew it for up to seven years or 100,000 miles (whichever comes first).

First off, do you already have this geico coverage? Perhaps you bought your CPO before it was 15 months and 15k miles in service. Or is there another program for used cars?

So you have to pay into this coverage when you don't need it for the first 4/50k. After B2B expires, then you continue to pay for up to another 3/50k or whatever you have left until 7/100k. So you really have to compare the cost of paying for this coverage for the entire time of 7 years or 100k. If you're already a few years into paying for this without any benefits, I would think you'd just continue the coverage until the max so you at least get some value out of what you already paid.

tate16t 05-17-2015 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by thefisch (Post 6434975)
Just saw this part:
Your new car is your baby, so it deserves a little extra protection. MBI is available for new or leased cars that are less than 15 months old and with less than 15,000 miles.
Once you've purchased MBI, you can renew it for up to seven years or 100,000 miles (whichever comes first).

First off, do you already have this geico coverage? Perhaps you bought your CPO before it was 15 months and 15k miles in service. Or is there another program for used cars?

So you have to pay into this coverage when you don't need it for the first 4/50k. After B2B expires, then you continue to pay for up to another 3/50k or whatever you have left until 7/100k. So you really have to compare the cost of paying for this coverage for the entire time of 7 years or 100k. If you're already a few years into paying for this without any benefits, I would think you'd just continue the coverage until the max so you at least get some value out of what you already paid.

I'm already a few years into the Geico plan and it works out cheaper then MB. My wife setup the plan and I did not know we were covered 😡

pamiboy 05-19-2015 12:16 PM

The title of this thread sounds almost as depressing as afterlife (life after death).