MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W212) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212-109/)
-   -   Tires - Michelin Sports or Continental Echo Plus? (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212/587394-tires-michelin-sports-continental-echo-plus.html)

tate16t 05-28-2015 08:36 AM

Tires - Michelin Sports or Continental Echo Plus?

Which tire would you guys recommend for a 2010 e350 sport sedan?

Thanks in advance.

audiophilitis 05-28-2015 09:25 AM

I've always been a big fan of Michelin. MXV4 or PS3 are great tires.

KEY08 05-28-2015 10:58 AM

There is a lot of tire discussion on here. It depends on where you live and whether you have 4Matic(doesn't look like it) and need to drive on snow. I continue to stick with Continentals for these E Class cars.

VegasE 05-28-2015 11:32 AM

Just bought tires for my car yesterday

Originally Posted by tate16t (Post 6446831)

Thanks in advance.

For summer tires, the Michelin Pilot Super Sports are the best tire I have ever owned. I've got them on my Audi TT. They are top rated by almost all professional reviews.

However, I want all season tires for the E350 as it is in snow in north Arizona often in the winter. I had a preconceived notion to get the Michelin Pilot AS3 but after reading the professional and owner reviews on Tire Rack I decided they were not an option. The good news is that they are the best gripping AS tire on the market. The bad news is that dry/rain performance is at the expense of one of the worst performing tires in snow and rapid tread wear if the tire is driven aggressively. You are better off just getting the Pilot Super Sports.

I went with the ContiExtreme DWS which is always near the top of the ratings by professional and owner reviews. You sacrifice some cornering performance for excellent snow performance and ride comfort. My OEM PZero AS were terrible in snow and is confirmed in Trire Rack professional tests and owner reviews.

I have had the Michelin MXV4 all season tires on another car and liked them but they are not made in the rear tire size for my 2012 E350 265/35/18.

I found one curious discrepancy when doing my research. Tire Racks professional tests and Consumer Reports professional tests get polar opposite results in some performance categories. For example, CR says the Continental DWS are terrible in snow while Tire Rack (and the reader reviews) say it is the best AS tire performer in snow they have ever tested. I'm going with Tire Rack's results.

tate16t 05-28-2015 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by KEY08 (Post 6446968)
There is a lot of tire discussion on here. It depends on where you live and whether you have 4Matic(doesn't look like it) and need to drive on snow. I continue to stick with Continentals for these E Class cars.

NY, 4Matic, don't drive this car in the snow much.

KEY08 05-28-2015 03:34 PM

I have the new Continental Control Contact AS tire on my car from Discount Tire and rate them superior. Quiet at speed and excellent traction in dry, wet and snow.

Johnny Rad 05-28-2015 07:46 PM

Just linking another relevant "what tire should I get" thread for other users down the road...

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...new-tires.html

tate16t 05-28-2015 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by Johnny Rad (Post 6447518)
Just linking another relevant "what tire should I get" thread for other users down the road...

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...new-tires.html

Thanks

Firestopper0383 05-29-2015 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by tate16t (Post 6446831)

Thanks in advance.

If you're looking for a good All-Weather tire. A month ago I put the Continental Extreme Contact DWS on. I have driven a thousand miles and they are a really nice tire. Quiet and very smooth.
I also have the Sport Edition with the staggered wheel sizing.

KEY08 05-29-2015 09:23 AM

I had the Extreme DWS on my E500 4Matic and they developed some bad wear and got noisy very quickly. Keep an eye on them and watch your inflation/rotation.

Firestopper0383 05-29-2015 12:30 PM

My Dealer, Tire Rack and the Tire Shop I went to all gave them high marks. I have OCD when it comes to tire pressures and balancing tires and I don't drive like I stole it. So, I'm hoping for decent wear.
I had original Pirellis on for 35k. They were miserable. Noisy from day 2.
Thanks for the info.

KEY08 05-29-2015 12:51 PM

I'm the opposite. Ha! But I still had issues, so keep watching them and good luck!

instantfob 05-29-2015 01:18 PM

If you are looking for All Season UHP then it's neck and neck between

Conti DWS vs Pilot Sport A/S 3

DWS has a better edge in snow when new and Michelin has better Dry/Wet performance and wears better overtime.

Just be mindful that "DWS 06" is the new DWS that Conti released this year so you'll run into spotty DWS inventory issues.

If you are looking for Grand Touring All-Season Tire since you mentioned "EcoPlus"
then you should be comparing with emphasis on Comfort (NVH) and Low Rolling Resistance (MPG)

Conti PureContact vs Michelin Primacy MXM4

I favor Michelin tires because they have the Promise Plan which gives you 30 days satisfaction warranty. Try it out and see if you like it.
Afterall you have a German Sports Sedan.

Enjoy the car a little bit and try those Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3