E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Should I change out my battery?

Old 05-29-2015, 12:38 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2010 E550 4MATIC RENNtech Tune
Should I change out my battery?

I had my battery tested yesterday by an autozone type store. They measured my battery at 500 CCA. My battery in my e550 is rated at 800 CCA. The guy who tested the battery recommended I replace the battery.

I do notice (at times) slight hesitation when my car starts. It takes more than it should to "turn", but this is by no means a "dead" battery situation, and this only happens once in a while.

I believe the battery in the car is the original which means it hasn't been changed out in 5-6 years.

What do you think? Do it before its too late or go with the flow?
Old 05-29-2015, 12:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,185 Posts
2014 E550-sold 😩
Batteries will usually have a date on them, especially if it's a MB battery. Look on the top to see if you see a date sticker. If you take a lot of short trips the batteries in these cars will not build a good charge and you will experience the slow start syndrome. That goes away when the battery is at or near full charge. You can put it on a trickle charger to bring it out of its funk as well.
Old 05-29-2015, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by KEY08
Batteries will usually have a date on them, especially if it's a MB battery. Look on the top to see if you see a date sticker. If you take a lot of short trips the batteries in these cars will not build a good charge and you will experience the slow start syndrome. That goes away when the battery is at or near full charge. You can put it on a trickle charger to bring it out of its funk as well.
It's funny there is no date on mine and it is an MB battery confirmed by Mercedes Roadside Assistance. I drive about 20 miles daily. Other than, a couple of short trips on the weekends.
Old 05-29-2015, 12:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,185 Posts
2014 E550-sold 😩
If you have a trickle charger it may be worth it to see if you can bring the battery back up to a full charge. Sounds like you are driving enough, so the battery may indeed by on its last leg.
Old 05-29-2015, 01:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
Mine lasted exactly four years and one week. If had died two weeks earler, would have gotten a new one free. However, had to pay $300 for a new MB battery.
NOTE: MB replacement batteries are only warranted for TWO years, even those from dealerships and installed by dealerships. I confirmed this with MBUSA.
Old 05-29-2015, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by KEY08
If you have a trickle charger it may be worth it to see if you can bring the battery back up to a full charge. Sounds like you are driving enough, so the battery may indeed by on its last leg.
I don't own a trickle charger, but thanks for the input. I'll try to call the Dealer where the prior owner had my car serviced at to see if the battery was ever changed (if they tell me that is..everything is confidential with these guys sometimes)..
Old 05-29-2015, 01:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 195 Likes on 171 Posts
2010 e550 p2
changed mine about 2 months ago in my 550, couldn't be happier.. if u got money get a new one
Old 05-29-2015, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by belarus27
changed mine about 2 months ago in my 550, couldn't be happier.. if u got money get a new one
Do you know how old your battery was before you changed it out? There is no date sticker on mine. Also, were there any symptoms you were experience that made you decide for a new battery? What differences do you notice now, since you said you are happy lol..

Old 05-29-2015, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by El Cid
Mine lasted exactly four years and one week. If had died two weeks earler, would have gotten a new one free. However, had to pay $300 for a new MB battery.
NOTE: MB replacement batteries are only warranted for TWO years, even those from dealerships and installed by dealerships. I confirmed this with MBUSA.
That sucks on the 2 week difference. 2 years? What kind of warranty is that? I'm getting charged anywhere between $375-$450 for getting a battery installed at the dealership. Now I know whey people call it stealership.

I found an independent mechanic that can do it. I can even do it myself.
Old 05-29-2015, 03:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 e550 p2
Originally Posted by g4benz
Do you know how old your battery was before you changed it out? There is no date sticker on mine. Also, were there any symptoms you were experience that made you decide for a new battery? What differences do you notice now, since you said you are happy lol..

well before I couldnt even leave my door open for a few mins or any lights on , and ive noticed that my garage door opener would reset itself pretty often , and music.... if I play music for lets say 5 min I would need a jump.. now I don't care for how long I leave any lights on or play music for 30 min it still starts with no problem... thats why im happy...
oh p.s. it starts way faster too )
mine didnt have any dates on it too , but it wasnt original oem battery it was an Interstate one.
now all good and im sure that I can start it at any time
Old 05-29-2015, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by belarus27
well before I couldnt even leave my door open for a few mins or any lights on , and ive noticed that my garage door opener would reset itself pretty often , and music.... if I play music for lets say 5 min I would need a jump.. now I don't care for how long I leave any lights on or play music for 30 min it still starts with no problem... thats why im happy...
oh p.s. it starts way faster too )
mine didnt have any dates on it too , but it wasnt original oem battery it was an Interstate one.
now all good and im sure that I can start it at any time
So you definitely had low battery symptoms! Mine is just a slow start up at times and the fact that it was tested at 500CCA. I'll keep an eye on it. Thanks!
Old 05-29-2015, 03:49 PM

Received 164 Likes on 103 Posts
2020 E450 Wagon
So you definitely had low battery symptoms! Mine is just a slow start up at times and the fact that it was tested at 500CCA. I'll keep an eye on it. Thanks!
As other's have suggested, get yourself a battery tender. I use one on my motorcycle and it preserves your battery and ensure you have no issues. A decent one only runs about $70. Much cheaper than a new battery.
Old 05-29-2015, 04:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 E350 Wagon; 2003 Land Cruiser
The warm weather helps a bit with the battery -- easier/quicker to charge and the charge holds longer. Depending on your location, you may be able to get by until late fall -- or even longer if you're in the south. If you're in the NE, probably best to replace it before winter sets in.
Old 05-29-2015, 05:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 384 Likes on 314 Posts
2011 E550 P2 4M Sedan
If your battery doesn't have a date it might be the original which is possible given the age of the car. The good news is your battery still starts the car and you haven't had to jump it yet. Some have posted here that the alternator does not fully charge the battery to save fuel - so if you use the electronics after the car is off (like belarus27 mentioned) with an older battery, you might need a jump. It's happened to me.

After my experiences documented here, I try to remember to charge my battery every 6 weeks or so. In fact I just hooked it up for the night since it seemed to take a moment longer to start a few times this week. Got it tested the other day and they said it had 525cca out of 800cca. Now I am not certain my battery is rated for 800cca since it's OEM so I don't know if their reading on 525cca is accurate (one time they entered 700cca in their tester and it gave some crazy high result).
Old 05-29-2015, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by audiophilitis
The warm weather helps a bit with the battery -- easier/quicker to charge and the charge holds longer. Depending on your location, you may be able to get by until late fall -- or even longer if you're in the south. If you're in the NE, probably best to replace it before winter sets in.
NY here so rough winters! I think I will get by, but I've made the decision to go ahead and just replace the darn thing, so I don't need to worry about it.
Old 05-29-2015, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by thefisch
If your battery doesn't have a date it might be the original which is possible given the age of the car. The good news is your battery still starts the car and you haven't had to jump it yet. Some have posted here that the alternator does not fully charge the battery to save fuel - so if you use the electronics after the car is off (like belarus27 mentioned) with an older battery, you might need a jump. It's happened to me.

After my experiences documented here, I try to remember to charge my battery every 6 weeks or so. In fact I just hooked it up for the night since it seemed to take a moment longer to start a few times this week. Got it tested the other day and they said it had 525cca out of 800cca. Now I am not certain my battery is rated for 800cca since it's OEM so I don't know if their reading on 525cca is accurate (one time they entered 700cca in their tester and it gave some crazy high result).
It's funny the mercedes rep told me that the original one has a date and any other subsequent ones don't. However, I did some more research and there should be a code stamped on the battery that tells you the date.

For example, A2 would be January 2002 and B4 would be Februrary 2004. I'll check out the battery again over the weekend.
Old 05-29-2015, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by fleuger99
As other's have suggested, get yourself a battery tender. I use one on my motorcycle and it preserves your battery and ensure you have no issues. A decent one only runs about $70. Much cheaper than a new battery.
Yes, maybe in the near future with the next battery. I think I am just going to replace it and get it out of the way.
Old 05-29-2015, 05:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 e550 p2
Yes, maybe in the near future with the next battery. I think I am just going to replace it and get it out of the way.
better than look for someone to jump you when you in hurry.. u know what im saying lol
cuz with that you just taking your chances..
Old 05-29-2015, 05:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 384 Likes on 314 Posts
2011 E550 P2 4M Sedan
It's funny the mercedes rep told me that the original one has a date and any other subsequent ones don't. However, I did some more research and there should be a code stamped on the battery that tells you the date.

For example, A2 would be January 2002 and B4 would be Februrary 2004. I'll check out the battery again over the weekend.
Well they may be right, but they often are wrong about the details. Here is a photo of my OEM battery in my car which has been in service 4.5 years. Looking for a letter and number code that could represent month and year, I only noticed two things - Q03 printed vertical on sticker with barcode and a sequence of letters and numbers ending with 0412 which is etched in the black plastic (and therefore not visible in the photo) above the danger/poison sticker on the right. There are no markings or stamps on the sides. Q03 doesn't make sense to me for date purposes (what month is Q) and 0412 is after my car was in service. Maybe I am missing it.
Should I change out my battery?-20150202_085303.jpg
Most of the dates I've seen have been on replacement batteries to make the date identifiable for stocking purposes.

You're probably making the right decision by replacing it so you don't have to worry about it. My little battery life support experiment continues. Let us know the details of your replacement.
Old 05-29-2015, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by thefisch
Well they may be right, but they often are wrong about the details. Here is a photo of my OEM battery in my car which has been in service 4.5 years. Looking for a letter and number code that could represent month and year, I only noticed two things - Q03 printed vertical on sticker with barcode and a sequence of letters and numbers ending with 0412 which is etched in the black plastic (and therefore not visible in the photo) above the danger/poison sticker on the right. There are no markings or stamps on the sides. Q03 doesn't make sense to me for date purposes (what month is Q) and 0412 is after my car was in service. Maybe I am missing it.
Attachment 310660
Most of the dates I've seen have been on replacement batteries to make the date identifiable for stocking purposes.

You're probably making the right decision by replacing it so you don't have to worry about it. My little battery life support experiment continues. Let us know the details of your replacement.
Funny, I was just posting mine, it's the same exact thing as yours. Therefore, I think we cannot find out the date from this:

Should I change out my battery?-img_3227_zpslo7iqyrk.jpg
Old 05-29-2015, 09:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts
E 350
With all the new technology and lithium ion batteries, I wonder why they don't offer Tesla type lithium ion batteries (instead of the regular) for all MB cars? That way we wouldn't have to keep changing batteries every four years in these cars.... just saying.
Old 06-01-2015, 12:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 834 Likes on 603 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
I had my battery tested yesterday by an autozone type store. They measured my battery at 500 CCA. My battery in my e550 is rated at 800 CCA. The guy who tested the battery recommended I replace the battery.

I do notice (at times) slight hesitation when my car starts. It takes more than it should to "turn", but this is by no means a "dead" battery situation, and this only happens once in a while.

I believe the battery in the car is the original which means it hasn't been changed out in 5-6 years.

What do you think? Do it before its too late or go with the flow?
I had my battery replaced by my dealer 5 weeks ago. I had no major issues at all. I did experience a little longer cranks a few times but the car always started even after sitting at an airport for two weeks. I have had my car sitting three weeks several times and always it started without any problems at all.

But 5 weeks ago at oil change service my SA came to me saying that the tech noticed a slight hesitation at start and as the battery is six years old it would be good to replace it for about $300 cost at the dealer. I first told him NO but after some thinking went back to him and told him I changed my mind and let them change it.

Thinking behind this is that I would probably save about $100 doing it myself as I had planned but letting my dealer do it I don't have to worry about losing power from the car during change (very mixed info about this in t h e net) and it helps keeping good relationship with the dealer. That $100 can go a long way.

Anyway, a good battery is a must on these cars and if you live in the hot area an old battery can fail without any prior symptom.
Old 06-01-2015, 02:48 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
E550
Originally Posted by pamiboy
With all the new technology and lithium ion batteries, I wonder why they don't offer Tesla type lithium ion batteries (instead of the regular) for all MB cars? That way we wouldn't have to keep changing batteries every four years in these cars.... just saying.
Considering the deep surge current draw required to start an engine, I seriously doubt that lithium ion would be a rational choice for a car battery --- not to mention the horrific cost for one that size if it would work.

The 150 year-old lead acid battery has been a great workhorse for the auto application. I suspect that with the current technology in cars we will need to readjust our expectations of battery life --- and suspect that auto mfgrs need to find a way to have a reliable internal test of battery condition and probably a better charge strategy.
Old 06-01-2015, 03:44 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2008 E320 Bluetec (until 11/14), 2001 SLK 320, 2004 Volvo V70, 1972 MGB, 2013 E350
What's wrong with a battery only lasting 5 years? I am on my 5th MB and have never had a battery fail in less than 5 years. The only time i changed batteries more often than that was when my car sat outside in the Chicago winters.
Old 06-02-2015, 12:44 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
E550
Originally Posted by CarolinaBluetec
What's wrong with a battery only lasting 5 years? I am on my 5th MB and have never had a battery fail in less than 5 years. The only time i changed batteries more often than that was when my car sat outside in the Chicago winters.
IMO. the issue is not so much the life but the abrupt failure without warning --- dead car --- even if the expensive MB service test is run.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Should I change out my battery?