MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W212) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212-109/)
-   -   What to buy... 2010 E63 or 2012 E550 ??? (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212/599332-what-buy-2010-e63-2012-e550.html)

jonUF02 09-12-2015 12:55 AM

What to buy... 2010 E63 or 2012 E550 ???

I have to get a respectable 4-door car due to baby on the way soon. I am totally in LOVE with my W208 CLK430. It's my first Benz and was well kept before me, I enjoyed it for the past 4 years with minimal issues on a now 15yr old car. I would keep it, but probably sell it since I have only 1 garage bay, and I would feel bad leaving it, or a new MB out in the street.

The question is: Should I buy a 2010 N/A E63, or 2012 E550? Or possibly even a 2010-2011 E550?

I have found the first two in the same price range. I always wanted the howl of the 63 engine, and the extra looks and goodies of the AMG. The problem is that my wife HATES driving the CLK due to harsh ride and low stance. I need to have something she won't mind driving when I take her SUV to pull my jet skis on the weekend. I'm sick of hearing about it.

The PROS of the newer E550 are also sort of CONS due to increased complexity of the AWD and dual turbos. I found the CLK very easy to work on due to N/A big V8 just sitting there with fairly easy access, and parts are very cheap.

Can anyone give me a real-world driving review that has driven both? Is the 2010 E63 harsh on the ride? Have the newer biturbo engines or AWD systems given any grief? I would probably be looking at buying one or the other with about 50K miles on it in the $35K range.

Right now I would say I'm leaning toward the 2012 E550, but haven't driven either. I'm not driving on tracks or drag strips, I live in a busy part of a city, and only drive 4 miles each way to work. The CLK430 has been enough power to please me, having never driven the CLK55 either. Should I also be looking at the 2010-2011 E550 due to less complexities and cheaper price? It's still much more power than what I have now.

I don't plan to do any tuning because A) the wife would never let me spend thousands on that, and B) I would not want to decrease the reliability as I plan on keeping this used car well into the future. So stock to stock comparison is the only relevant info here. The only thing I would do is a few styling mods and modify the exhaust a little on the 550 to make it look and sound more sporty like the 63 if I go that way.

thanks.

Munich77 09-12-2015 10:13 PM

Test drive both - I am biased but the E550 is a phenomenal car. With the new engine it is very fast. If your wife goes not like a bouncy ride the E550 might appeal more to her. While the new turbo may be more complex, an E63 is not going to be easy to repair.

homeofstone 09-12-2015 10:49 PM

E550 , the 2010 E63 does have some issues with head bolts and the interior is nicer in a 2011 E63.

Johnny Rad 09-13-2015 04:59 PM

If you're wrenching on the E63 yourself, it may offset what I believe is a higher cost of ownership on the AMG.

Do you need awd? Between the two you're considering, only the e550 has it.

The exhaust note on the AMG is intoxicating whereas the 550 is comparatively silent. Some say you get tired of louder exhausts, but I'm not so sure about that.

Getting the 12 under an ext warranty will be much simpler and less $ than the older AMG - assuming that's even important to you.

beejAMG 09-13-2015 05:24 PM

AMG would cost $$$$$ in the long run since youre planning on keeping the car for a while. nicer no doubt but.

also, you said you drive 4 miles one way to work. ill feel bad for the AMG if that was the case. heck i feel bad for my 63 when i drive it in traffic (just me).

either way, its a big step up from your c208. goodluck with the new baby and the new car!

homeofstone 09-14-2015 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by beejAMG (Post 6555175)
AMG would cost $$$$$ in the long run since youre planning on keeping the car for a while. nicer no doubt but.

also, you said you drive 4 miles one way to work. ill feel bad for the AMG if that was the case. heck i feel bad for my 63 when i drive it in traffic (just me).

either way, its a big step up from your c208. goodluck with the new baby and the new car!

I agree, The E63 is not an in traffic, short commute, short trip around town car.

rediesel 09-14-2015 10:10 AM

I pondered the same decision. I needed the AWD so I went with the E550 with the twin turbo M278, and I love it. Exceptionally well balanced car. It can really move when you hit the gas. Your wife will love the ride, and I'd be concerned she might not give it back after the weekend.

jahquan3 09-14-2015 10:18 AM

I've only driven one of the vehicles but I've rode in another. Just based on your very short commute., I'd say the cheapest vehicle makes the most sense. It appears that you'll rarely be in any of these vehicles. I guess a good question would be how far does your wife drive when you guys switch up?

I think you should just rule the E63 out and focus on one of the E550s.

GuestFromTampa 09-14-2015 11:14 AM

2012 E550

p30amg08 09-14-2015 11:46 AM

Honestly. Try out a later model e350, in your situation it might be worth a look. They are quick, and a nice car.

Arrie 09-14-2015 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by jonUF02 (Post 6554105)
I have to get a respectable 4-door car due to baby on the way soon. I am totally in LOVE with my W208 CLK430. It's my first Benz and was well kept before me, I enjoyed it for the past 4 years with minimal issues on a now 15yr old car. I would keep it, but probably sell it since I have only 1 garage bay, and I would feel bad leaving it, or a new MB out in the street.

The question is: Should I buy a 2010 N/A E63, or 2012 E550? Or possibly even a 2010-2011 E550?

I have found the first two in the same price range. I always wanted the howl of the 63 engine, and the extra looks and goodies of the AMG. The problem is that my wife HATES driving the CLK due to harsh ride and low stance. I need to have something she won't mind driving when I take her SUV to pull my jet skis on the weekend. I'm sick of hearing about it.

The PROS of the newer E550 are also sort of CONS due to increased complexity of the AWD and dual turbos. I found the CLK very easy to work on due to N/A big V8 just sitting there with fairly easy access, and parts are very cheap.

Can anyone give me a real-world driving review that has driven both? Is the 2010 E63 harsh on the ride? Have the newer biturbo engines or AWD systems given any grief? I would probably be looking at buying one or the other with about 50K miles on it in the $35K range.

Right now I would say I'm leaning toward the 2012 E550, but haven't driven either. I'm not driving on tracks or drag strips, I live in a busy part of a city, and only drive 4 miles each way to work. The CLK430 has been enough power to please me, having never driven the CLK55 either. Should I also be looking at the 2010-2011 E550 due to less complexities and cheaper price? It's still much more power than what I have now.

I don't plan to do any tuning because A) the wife would never let me spend thousands on that, and B) I would not want to decrease the reliability as I plan on keeping this used car well into the future. So stock to stock comparison is the only relevant info here. The only thing I would do is a few styling mods and modify the exhaust a little on the 550 to make it look and sound more sporty like the 63 if I go that way.

thanks.

How about a diesel?

Tonycpa 09-15-2015 04:13 PM

2012 E550 and it's not even a close contest. I believe your view on the tune is incorrect but to each his own. A 2012 E550 with RENNtech tune can change your mind.

AKnight55 09-15-2015 08:20 PM

Get the 2012 550!

jonUF02 09-17-2015 12:45 PM

Well, it seems the consensus is for 2012 E550.

I don't need AWD, as I live in FL, but it will help put the power down and probably feels more balanced. The down-side is no giant smoky burnouts and no intoxicating note of the 6.3 exhaust.

I cut out the secondary cats on my current 430, and it has just enough sound for me, so I see a lot of people doing the same with the 550s.

I will probably get some kind of extended warranty, as I'm concerned about all the fancy electronic stuff, depending on packages, and definitely concerned about longevity of the airmatic suspension. I do as much wrenching as I can on my own, which is pretty much everything on my W208, including some major repairs to the intake manifold, water pump, injectors, alternator, motor mounts, etc. I'll have to review any extended warranty proposition for exactly what it does and does not cover, because my previous experience with warranties is that they are for suckers, and I've never come out ahead of the cost of the initial warranty in the long run.

Another deciding factor is that I looked up a simple thing like brakes. - on the E63 front rotors are $850 EACH, and the 550 is just slightly above normal cost.

Admittedly, I only desire the 63 for the name badge, styling, and exhaust note. My commute is short, but I definitely want the V8 power for mashing a couple stop lights along the way.

I would consider a tune if it was a more reasonable amount, like my buddy has a Subaru WRX STi with a little tuning computer connected and it only cost about $600 I think. You can also take off or change the tune any time with the little handheld unit.

jahquan3 09-17-2015 01:58 PM

@JonUF02 on a slight side note, how does your wife and you like the Murano? I bought my wife a 2010 since she practically cried for that specific model. Now she's eyeing the new 2015 models. I've never rode in the 2012 to see how they are in comparison to the older one we have.

jonUF02 09-17-2015 02:09 PM

2010 Murano should be identical to 2012. I also had the older 2003. When it started to have issues, she wanted an exact clone, but new, same color, everything. I would not bother with the AWD unless you need it. I don't particularly care to drive the new one, all the inputs feel very sensitive to me, and the CVT feels like pulling back a rubber band when you hit the gas. I do like how luxurious it is for not being a luxury branded vehicle. I have the SL model. I would have got the Platinum model, but I don't care for the fake wood dash, I much prefer the brushed aluminum look, and the only other difference is a built-in navigation and bigger wheels. I never used the built-in nav from any other car since cell phones are so much easier to find your destination quickly by search. I do really like the Bose audio system, best stock system I've ever had. I have always added high-end stereo equipment, but with new luxury cars it's nearly impossible since all the systems are tied into the radio and display stuff. Hopefully the E550 HK system is a good one.

Her next car will be a GL with V8 most likely.

jahquan3 09-17-2015 02:35 PM

Nice. Great feedback, I thought they might have been similar. I can't really tell from the look of the outside between closely linked years (2010-2013ish).

Also, I do agree the Bose system is beastly. I feel like its about to shake the chassis off the SUV lol. I also agree that they have a luxury feel to them. She still gives me the business saying it rides and feels better than my E550. I just chuckle at it and let her enjoy her Nissan coated glasses ha ha.

Ooopss looked again and its an SL as well. Still haven't changed my profile yet.

jonUF02 10-03-2015 07:15 PM

I went and test drove the only E550 I could find within reasonable distance of me today. 2010 with 46K miles. It was in very nice condition. I thought maybe that it would impress me enough that I would not need to search for a 2012.

First thing I have to say is it had absolutely NO exhaust note. That would need to be modded. 2nd thing is that the stereo system completely lacks bass, but I found a thread regarding addition of a proper amp and sub.

The same dealer (local Porsche dealer) happened to have a 2012 CLS550, which I had been taking into consideration. It had the Biturbo engine, so I asked to drive that too. I have to say the CLS had a more sporty overall feel. I think the suspension would be too much for the wife, it felt pretty stiff, even in comfort mode. It had a very nice exhaust note when pushed. I don't know if that's different on the CLS, or just different with the Biturbo motor, or if maybe the exhaust was modded??? I would be happy with that note.

After driving the CLS, I DEFINITELY want the new Biturbo engine. It just wanted to jump straight off the line. I unintentionally wobbled the back end on the first corner. It made the 2010 E550 seem very lazy. Hopefully the 2012 E550 will drive just like the CLS in terms of engine sound and acceleration. I think the AWD will plant the E a little better than the one I drove. With the performance of the Biturbo engine, I see no reason to consider the older E63, especially considering the many higher maintenance and insurance costs of the AMG club.

Hopefully a 2012-2013 E550 will show up locally within the next few months. Otherwise I will expand my search and bring one home. I would have a hard time committing to go get anything before actually driving one though.

Dema 10-03-2015 09:18 PM

2012 mostly because 2010 was first year of production and MB could make some major improvements and stabilize the model shape. Slight reason of taking 550 is better MPG, although at current falling prices for gas it isn't serious argument.

Diamond White W212 10-04-2015 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by p30amg08 (Post 6555871)
Honestly. Try out a later model e350, in your situation it might be worth a look. They are quick, and a nice car.

If your CLK430 is quick enough for you, here are some comparison numbers from http://www.zeroto60times.com/vehicle...-60-mph-times/

1999 CLK 430 (I assume same powertrain as yours) 6.4
2010 E63 4.3
2014 E550 (same engine as the 2012) 4.6
2012 + E350 6.0 (http://www.edmunds.com/mercedes-benz...st-specs2.html)

So even the E350 is quicker than what you are used to. Not that 0-60 is everything and if I had an opportunity for an E63 at the right price, I would have to give it serious thought. Just wanted to give you some comparison info.

z06michael 10-04-2015 11:22 PM

How can you loose with an E550,my 11' gets 25mpg is comfortable,quite,smooth and fast, what a great combo!!!!

killerE350AMG 10-13-2015 02:38 PM

E550, sweet car!

badbenzz 10-13-2015 04:49 PM

I just purchased a 2102 E550 and damm it is one of the most comfortable cars I have ever driven, its also got some real power. Should you want more power you can tune the car and it will got from 402hp to 540hp (Weistec Tune) to compete with the E63. Since its 4matic you can put all the power down unlike the E63 from a stop.