E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Possible repair part for command knob

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-03-2018, 07:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes C250 CDI
Originally Posted by Maxr00m
Btw, you don't need to take out the connecting cable. I worked with my comand device while the cable was still in place but extended.

Cap removed
Thanks for this. I already have the Comand knob module out of the car. How did you end up removing the inner cap? Did you use heat and/or what tool?

I tried to get the outer ring off though couldn't budge it.

Last edited by Grizley; 02-03-2018 at 07:24 PM. Reason: Left out details
Old 02-04-2018, 05:25 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
c class
Originally Posted by Grizley
Thanks for this. I already have the Comand knob module out of the car. How did you end up removing the inner cap? Did you use heat and/or what tool?

I tried to get the outer ring off though couldn't budge it.
Hi there,
Try to put a very thin fishing line between ring and cap then apply some heat and pull it. The glue is in the midle of the cap (never tried it, just an idea).
Old 02-05-2018, 11:14 AM

C200
Sorry for late reply.
I didn't use heat. All you need is a very sharp edge tool like a razor or small knife. Keep pushing out the cap slightly and turn the knob to apply even pressure on all sides. after some few rounds concentrate on one point. Don't worry about minor scratches. It will ultimately pop out.
Old 02-03-2019, 03:17 AM

2012 w204 c180 amg package
Originally Posted by Maxr00m
Sorry for late reply.
I didn't use heat. All you need is a very sharp edge tool like a razor or small knife. Keep pushing out the cap slightly and turn the knob to apply even pressure on all sides. after some few rounds concentrate on one point. Don't worry about minor scratches. It will ultimately pop out.
I got the knob out, but as mine is also the facelifted w204, i cant seem to remove the inner cap no matter what sharp tool i use. Seems like i need to remove the ring and that isnt happening either
Old 02-03-2019, 06:20 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
2011 C250
Originally Posted by Schaun1911
I got the knob out, but as mine is also the facelifted w204, i cant seem to remove the inner cap no matter what sharp tool i use. Seems like i need to remove the ring and that isnt happening either
I could not get the cap off either, no matter what I did, warmed it up or whatever.
I ended buying from a wrecker in UK. Compared to MB it was resonable but saved the effort And scratches. After all that I totaled my car so I don't have it anymore.
So, if anybody wants my old but unscratched knob, for repair, experiment or any suitable use, its up for sale, US50+postage.
Old 02-03-2019, 06:33 AM

2012 w204 c180 amg package
Originally Posted by jesydney
I could not get the cap off either, no matter what I did, warmed it up or whatever.
I ended buying from a wrecker in UK. Compared to MB it was resonable but saved the effort And scratches. After all that I totaled my car so I don't have it anymore.
So, if anybody wants my old but unscratched knob, for repair, experiment or any suitable use, its up for sale, US50+postage.
Thanks alot for the quick reply. I managed to get it off with a kitchen knife, inserting it a bit horizontally if that makes sense, pry off the sides incrementally and you should be able to get under. Though scratches are unavoidable so if you can cover it up by some wrap or something thatll be nice.

Got the sneaky *******
Old 02-03-2019, 08:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,722 Likes on 1,104 Posts
2016 E350 Sport
This shade-tree machinist thinks that whoever (presumably in Germany) designed this high-use part to be plastic needs to be summarilly shot, cremated, ashes ground into powder as tropical fish food. That Mercedes has not done this themselves is inexcusable. "The Best or Nothing" my ****. Only an imbicile would design this part with lightening flutes along the shaft, creating an inevitable stress point where the breakage occurs. A 15-year old kid in High School shop class wouldn't do this.

I can turn this part out of aluminum in less than half-hour, maybe 15 minutes. (Retired now, so don't ask). A CNC machine can spit these out (fully threaded) in aluminum or steel in seconds, faster than a plastic injection molding machine can do the same. Heck, the threaded metal insert encapsulated within the plastic casting takes as long to make as turning the entire shaft as one piece in a CNC machine. Idiotic.

If mine ever breaks, I think I will buy a plane ticket to Germany to have a meeting with these morons.

Last edited by DFWdude; 02-03-2019 at 08:33 AM.
Old 02-03-2019, 06:22 PM

2011 C250
Originally Posted by Schaun1911
Thanks alot for the quick reply. I managed to get it off with a kitchen knife, inserting it a bit horizontally if that makes sense, pry off the sides incrementally and you should be able to get under. Though scratches are unavoidable so if you can cover it up by some wrap or something thatll be nice.

Got the sneaky *******
Ouch and wow that's a whole lot of scratches which you are correct - a nice thin wrap would cover it up.
Old 02-03-2019, 06:23 PM

2011 C250
Originally Posted by DFWdude
This shade-tree machinist thinks that whoever (presumably in Germany) designed this high-use part to be plastic needs to be summarilly shot, cremated, ashes ground into powder as tropical fish food. That Mercedes has not done this themselves is inexcusable. "The Best or Nothing" my ****. Only an imbicile would design this part with lightening flutes along the shaft, creating an inevitable stress point where the breakage occurs. A 15-year old kid in High School shop class wouldn't do this.

I can turn this part out of aluminum in less than half-hour, maybe 15 minutes. (Retired now, so don't ask). A CNC machine can spit these out (fully threaded) in aluminum or steel in seconds, faster than a plastic injection molding machine can do the same. Heck, the threaded metal insert encapsulated within the plastic casting takes as long to make as turning the entire shaft as one piece in a CNC machine. Idiotic.

If mine ever breaks, I think I will buy a plane ticket to Germany to have a meeting with these morons.
​​​​​​​+1

Last edited by jesydney; 02-03-2019 at 06:28 PM.