E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

FS: 2010 Mercedes E550 4Matic w WARRANTY

Old 12-02-2015, 07:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2010 E550
The beauty of the forums is that people who have no interest in purchasing the car come in and talk ***** about it just for fun.

I'll stick to the information I have which is the following:
1 - I have received two offers, both well below what the dealer has offered me for trade in. The market will tell me the price, but just because someone sends and email saying "I'll give you XX cash but you have to sell it this weekend" doesn't make it the market price.

2 - OBO is listed and mentioned multiple times. I started higher with the price knowing everyone negotiates and the price is slowly coming down over time. If you have sold a car, you know that people will offer you 8k off the price and try to find a place in the middle.

3 - Thank you for the Carmax and credit union suggestions. I did a search and there are multiple credit unions that would offer a car loan for a private party car sale. Do you suggest I list them?

4 - For all those who are saying this is priced too high and I see 23,600 trade in or 24k trade in values above, are you ready to make an offer if I'm willing to accept those numbers? Or are you just chiming in on why people shouldn't buy my car?

I'm willing to sell it with or without the warranty knowing that I can sell the warranty back to the dealership for over a thousand dollar.

The car has been on the market two and a half weeks. A car in the 20 thousands for price can take more than two weeks to sell. I'm also in sales and believe the market always sets the price but in order for that to be the case enough time has to pass. I could post this car at 10k and not have anyone who wants to buy one see this page, that wouldn't mean market price is below 10k. It means I haven't reached enough of the market or I haven't given it enough time.

Anyway considering no one has had question on the car, options, etc I'm assuming no one above has any interest at any price. If there are people who are interested, I would love to answer any questions and discuss a lower price with you.
Old 12-02-2015, 10:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 78 Posts
2010 E550 P2 w/AMG Sport Package + Pano, 2015 Nissan Pathfinder
Originally Posted by cc16177
Do you know why the 2011 dropped so far? My fairly uneducated understanding was that 2010 and 2011 were almost the same car. Was it just the fact that other manufacturers came out with new models that year?
This is just from one publication but it's overall score dropped from a 9.1 in 2010 to a 7.9 in 2011. The areas to mainly cause this drop are in the reliability and interior components. I'm not sure if it's from competition just getting better but I do see several other cars seem to be in the running in 2011 vs only Lexus seemed to be in the running in 2010 against MB.

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com...y-large-cars/\
You should see the option to scroll by year right over the listing and you'll see 2010 has the highest overall rating of any year E550 post 2009. Again this is just one publication but I find them to be consistent and reliable IMO. 2010 E550 FTW Lol.

I'm not going to lie though I'm really thinking of getting a 2013-2014 next summer since the miles are piling up quickly on my 2010.

Last edited by jahquan3; 12-02-2015 at 10:06 AM.
Old 12-02-2015, 10:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,615 Likes on 1,186 Posts
2014 E550-sold 😩
Where is is the car listed for sale? Craigslist, Ebay, Autotrader?
These forums have minimal exposure and most of the posters are already owners and not looking for a car. At least with the other outlets you will get better exposure and find a buyer in your area that may come out and look at the car.
Selling a luxury car is one of the most difficult things to do, because of the high value. You are in sales, so you know it is always easier to peddle something cheap since it is not a life altering purchase. This MB is not a Honda Civic and will take time to sell if you are looking for a fair price.
Once again, I am not saying that you should be giving the car away, but price is the determining factor of whether it sells or not. Price determines everything today and I don't think this forum is going to produce a buyer for you.
Ebay has a non-binding policy regarding Auto sales, so be aware of that if you list it there. Bidders can walk on their bids with no recourse and you will be forced to relist the car.
Old 12-02-2015, 11:44 AM
CEB
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
1953 300 Adenauer, 1971 300 SEL 6.3, 1975 600, 1978 450 6.9
Originally Posted by albertb
The beauty of the forums is that people who have no interest in purchasing the car come in and talk ***** about it just for fun.

I'll stick to the information I have which is the following:
1 - I have received two offers, both well below what the dealer has offered me for trade in. The market will tell me the price, but just because someone sends and email saying "I'll give you XX cash but you have to sell it this weekend" doesn't make it the market price.

2 - OBO is listed and mentioned multiple times. I started higher with the price knowing everyone negotiates and the price is slowly coming down over time. If you have sold a car, you know that people will offer you 8k off the price and try to find a place in the middle.

3 - Thank you for the Carmax and credit union suggestions. I did a search and there are multiple credit unions that would offer a car loan for a private party car sale. Do you suggest I list them?

4 - For all those who are saying this is priced too high and I see 23,600 trade in or 24k trade in values above, are you ready to make an offer if I'm willing to accept those numbers? Or are you just chiming in on why people shouldn't buy my car?

I'm willing to sell it with or without the warranty knowing that I can sell the warranty back to the dealership for over a thousand dollar.

The car has been on the market two and a half weeks. A car in the 20 thousands for price can take more than two weeks to sell. I'm also in sales and believe the market always sets the price but in order for that to be the case enough time has to pass. I could post this car at 10k and not have anyone who wants to buy one see this page, that wouldn't mean market price is below 10k. It means I haven't reached enough of the market or I haven't given it enough time.

Anyway considering no one has had question on the car, options, etc I'm assuming no one above has any interest at any price. If there are people who are interested, I would love to answer any questions and discuss a lower price with you.
In order to make an informed decision about the warranty, you really need to find out how much you would get back - you might be unpleasantly surprised.

Nobody is posting just to post but we are trying to get you to look at the value of your car realistically - the people who want this type of car are either going to lease, buy new or a low mileage off-lease. Everyone else wants a bargain.
Old 12-02-2015, 12:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,465 Likes on 1,146 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
What did the dealer offer you for trade in? A lot of times cars in this price range end up being traded in because most people are looking for a bargain.

If you're in sales, you should know that one of the classic blunders is to price something too high. The most famous classic blunder is to never get involved in a land war in Asia.

I sell stuff on craigslist all the time, and I usually get what I ask. I usually do a little research and then figure out what it's really worth and the discount my built in seller bias. And then I get some people who lowball, but typically one or two will step up and offer me what I want with minimal negotiation. It's all about supply and demand, ask too high and you have no demand. You never get a second chance to make a first impression. When I see stuff priced too high, it gets dismissed and then most of the time I don't go back to it. You destroy a lot of demand when it's priced too high. You should look at cargurus.com, they give you a price history. What normally happens is that dealers will sometimes price cars high, individual sellers see it and feel their car is nicer so they price it even higher. Then the dealers end up lowering the price and end up selling for less. Some cars on there are priced right and they just go right away. Individuals never seem to get that. I'd rather buy from a dealer than an individual. While dealers aren't considered trustworthy, I'd trust a dealer more than I would trust an individual so a price from an individual has to be lower than the dealer, otherwise I won't bother.

When you total a car, the insurance companies will use nadaguide. When you register a car, if it's too low, the registry will use nadaguide for sales tax purposes. That's why most buyers know to use nadaguide.
Old 12-02-2015, 01:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,615 Likes on 1,186 Posts
2014 E550-sold 😩
^ That is a good and comprehensive post. Dealers often get a bad rap, but if you have a good relationship with them, they will cover your back many times. I have bought many cars and on one occasion I had bought an Infiniti and after 18 months had enough of it. I called the dealer and asked of they would buy it back so I did not have to sell it. They said sure. I got a fair price and bought another car from them a year later.
Take it to Carmax and see what they will give you. There is no obligation.
Old 12-02-2015, 03:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 256 Likes on 202 Posts
2019 E300
Originally Posted by jonUF02
Don't want to read it, move on! It's applicable info to the thread.
I second that, give us a break please. If we all agree you brought the best used high mileage stripped down used E550 on the planet, will you please stop repeating yourself?
Old 12-02-2015, 06:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 384 Likes on 314 Posts
2011 E550 P2 4M Sedan
Originally Posted by cetialpha5
The most famous classic blunder is to never get involved in a land war in Asia.
Slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line!
Old 12-02-2015, 07:51 PM

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
2022 G63, 2023 GLA 45S. (2019 GTC Roadster and 2014 E63, gbnf)
GLWS great looking car
Old 12-15-2015, 06:05 PM

Received 61 Likes on 42 Posts
2021 Mojave Silver E450, BRG Jaguar F-pace S, 2011 335d (RIP), 2010 E350 (sold)
Originally Posted by thefisch
Slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line!
Classic! Once I saw the "land war in Asia" quote I immediately thought of that movie! Love it.
Old 12-15-2015, 06:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yes, it's a great line and also quite true.
Old 12-15-2015, 10:59 PM

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
W212 E550 4M P2
Beautiful car. The detailing really makes it pop in your pics. I think there's tremendous value in your transferrable factory warranty from Merc.

Your "Electrochromatic Automatic Transmission" sounds interesting. I haven't heard about color-changing transmissions. OK, I'm pulling your leg! Looks like you meant the mirror(s) and not the tranny.

Good selling!

UNsolicited advice: When I have time on my side, I start somewhat high just to see what happens. If nobody pops on it, I begin reducing my price. Over and over. I don't own much that appreciates over time! Buyer(s) lurking in the shadows have to decide when to pounce - wait too long and someone else will step in. I figure that if I only have one potential buyer out there, they'll pounce whenever the price finally lands in their sweet spot. If I don't have time on my side, I get serious on my asking price from the drop.

You probably already know, but Edmunds says $17-21K give or take if I missed some of the options. NADA is in the same range at $19-21K. On the otherhand, Black Book pegs it at $26-30K.

Autotrader has similar cars at $24-30K with the bulk at ~$24-26K (pvt seller and dealer), but I didn't compare options. Definitely cross-check Craigslist and other online sites.

Wholesale prices from Mannheim would be interesting, but very few of us have access to such info. If you can get it, you'll at least know the min value and if your dealer is yanking your chain on their offer.

From my experience, I expect that Carmax will be inline with your quoted trade-in value. They're in the business of selling your car at a premium, so they're not going to overpay.

Last edited by Johnny Rad; 12-15-2015 at 11:03 PM.
Old 12-16-2015, 09:01 PM

2010 E550
Thanks for the comments and advice all. Just sold the car!

Johnny Red, you made me laugh. Clearly I made a mistake with that feature.
Old 12-16-2015, 09:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by albertb
Thanks for the comments and advice all. Just sold the car!

Johnny Red, you made me laugh. Clearly I made a mistake with that feature.
What did you end up getting for it?
Old 12-16-2015, 11:33 PM

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
W212 E550 4M P2
Giant congrats on the sale.
Old 12-17-2015, 06:10 AM

2010 E550
Originally Posted by cetialpha5
What did you end up getting for it?
$24,500 which was right in my target range.