Go Back  MBWorld.org Forums > Mercedes-Benz Sedans > E-Class (W212)
Any High Mileage W212's Out There? >

Any High Mileage W212's Out There?

Notices
E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Any High Mileage W212's Out There?

Old 03-02-2019, 08:57 AM

Liked 27 Times in 23 Posts
2014 E350 4-matic Sport Package / MK7 GTI Autobahn (2015)
Hey take a look at the Liftmaster 8500 garage door opener (known as a jackshaft). Would let you get rid of that opener in the middle of the ceiling. Iíve had them for years (used to be called the 3800) with zero problems. As long as you have a torsion bar for the door, itís much easier to use and live with.

Originally Posted by kajtek1 View Post
Having a trailer, I was able to pick up the lift locally for less than $2000.
First use was lifting 3000 lb garden sculpture from a trailer for future placement. The thing comes with casters. PRICELESS.
Here is amazon listing https://www.amazon.com/TRIUMPH-NSS-8...-2-spons&psc=1
Old 03-05-2019, 04:29 PM

Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
2011 W212
120,000mi on my 2011 212 RWD base and had a bunch of small things:

Picked up CPO with 50K

55K Cup holder door jammed itself up (not sure how, didn't get any coins or anything stuck in there). Dealer broke it trying to unjam it and replaced it under CPO warranty.

70-80K A repeated problem with some plastic fuel tank connection under the rear seat. It cracked 3 times and when the tank was full would fill the car with fumes. Every time it would go to the dealer, and every time about 3 months later it would be back for the same problem. The most recent repair however has stuck and it has been 3 years, so it is finally fixed. All done under CPO warranty

80K The 2 alum trim pieces on my steering wheel started to peel at the corners and they were sharp. Replaced with eBay plastic replacement pieces that actually look and feel better with a nice satin finish. All of like $6.

103K Driver power door lock button replaced, worked find but the black plastic that covers the button was starting to flake at the edges and looked bad.

105K Trans mount before it became a problem and some EGR top end bit that was throwing a code for minor leak, both were cheap fixes at my local benz guy Benz Works in Huntington Beach

113K Idler pulley noise...eBay for $25, easy self fix.

115K left panel of the driver seat bottom leatherette finally started to crack. Local upholstery guy replaced the panel for $150, seat in car, looks like new.

My car eats batteries, every 18 months or so, no matter how I drive, maintain the battery...it just kills batteries but luckily Bosch is usually on sale at the local Pepboys and I get prorated or free replacements. Just a bit of a hassle.

All in all I have about $600-$650 in repairs since getting it used about 5 years ago.

Keep it washed, waxed and garaged, fix every tiny thing as it happens...still looks and drives showroom new and the best part, pink in hand, no payments.

Last edited by Skeechan; 03-05-2019 at 04:31 PM.
The following users liked this post: Skeechan
fganter (03-05-2019)
Old 03-05-2019, 05:18 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
E350
All that for under $650. That is impressive.
Old 03-05-2019, 05:20 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
E350
Originally Posted by Skeechan View Post
120,000mi on my 2011 212 RWD base and had a bunch of small things:

My car eats batteries, every 18 months or so, no matter how I drive, maintain the battery...it just kills batteries but luckily Bosch is usually on sale at the local Pepboys and I get prorated or free replacements. Just a bit of a hassle.
I wonder if the start/stop feature is contributing to this.
Old 03-05-2019, 06:24 PM

2011 W212
Originally Posted by fganter View Post
All that for under $650. That is impressive.
The part I thought was EGR, wasn't EGR, it was PCV and I think it was about $100 or a bit more with the labor. The little plastic steering wheels pieces were $6.50, the trans mount was $150 with the labor, the OEM door lock button module was $36 off ebay, pulley $25, seat $150. The fuel and cupholder were $0 under warranty. So actually less than $650 unless you count the batteries I bought. This doesn't include tools I bought like wedge tools to get the door panel off or anything but even that stuff is chicken feed. It really has been an economical car to own so far.

Next will be engine mounts which aren't cheap with the labor and the buttons near the command dial as I spilled nice sticky creamer filled coffee in mine and there is no cleaning them. As soon as the alcohol or anything else dries, they get sticky again and lose that click-click feel that drives by OCD up a wall.
Old 03-05-2019, 06:37 PM

2011 W212
Originally Posted by fganter View Post
I wonder if the start/stop feature is contributing to this.
Don't have start stop. I do drive mainly at night during the winter (early morning, late evening), but my commute is 25 miles one way and no optional accessories. It did it before my Android screen with the OEM NTG4 too so it isn't something being left on. No idiot lights and alternator checks good. My 2008 R350 did the same thing so I figured it was just a Benz thing. Bosch batteries, or whoever is making them for Bosch seem to last the longest at around 18 months and are on perpetual sale at PepBoys for $165 or less. I got my last one for only $99 which is insane for AGM. I replace the batteries before they actually die completely to avoid being stranded. They give me a warning if a tell-tale slow rollover. It is subtle but within a month it will be dead without any additional warning. And dead as in dead-dead, no jumping it and then driving for 40 minutes and putting it in a nice trickle overnight. It is jump it every time, won't take a charge, dead-dead. I have never had a Benz battery go more than 2 years no matter the size, brand, nothing. If eating batteries is the biggest problem I have, I consider myself very lucky. I thought that Benz might need AGM reset like BMW does (my Mini Countryman has to be reset when the battery is replaced), but didn't see anything about it.
Old 03-05-2019, 08:11 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
E350
Originally Posted by Skeechan View Post
I thought that Benz might need AGM reset like BMW does (my Mini Countryman has to be reset when the battery is replaced), but didn't see anything about it.
AGM?
Old 03-05-2019, 09:10 PM

2011 W212
Absorbent Glass Mat style battery. On BMWs (and BMW-Mini) made after around 2002 you have to 'register' the replacement of an AGM battery and set its specs using a programming tool. I guess it can monitor charging or peak charge like a cell phone or laptop can peak charge Li ion batteries. I have not seen any reference to the same programming requirement with Benz, but if it is required (and obviously I haven't been doing it) it would explain why my car eats AGM batteries.