MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W212) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212-109/)
-   -   Will you purchase a new sedan in 2016? (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212/610317-will-you-purchase-new-sedan-2016-a.html)

shortspark 12-25-2015 11:30 AM

Will you purchase a new sedan in 2016?

What a great year for sedan shoppers 2016 will be, particularly in the luxury segment! I have a 2012 ML350 and it has been the best and trouble free vehicle I have owned in 50 years of driving. I do not put many miles on my cars but the 4 year warranty is up in May and I'm thinking of a sedan this time around with the 2017 E class high on my list. I do not want to own a luxury vehicle past the warranty period although truth be told, about the time the warranty is up I am itching for something new.

Along with the E class, I am also thinking about the new Jag XF. With its new aluminum body and feisty motors, this one should be a blast to drive. And the looks, as always, are to gush over. With their new top of segment warranty and free maintenance coverage the XF should finally give the E class a lot of competition. Copying that Jag look, at least in the front, is the 2017 Lincoln MKZ. This one will come with a new 400 hp/400 ft. torque engine that will be exclusive to Lincoln. That kind of power should move the Lincoln brand forward as a driver's car for the first time in years. The features are extensive and it will cost less than the others. Their Black Label model should be at least as luxurious as the Jag and maybe even compete with the new E class.

The Volvo S90 for 2017 is drop dead gorgeous inside and out, with safety features second to none. All these are in addition to the normal E class sedan competitors from Lexus, BMW and Cadillac.

So who else will be shopping for a sedan and what are your thoughts on the offerings for next year?

CarolinaBluetec 12-25-2015 12:08 PM

No. I have more cars than I really need now.

shortspark 12-25-2015 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by CarolinaBluetec (Post 6655149)
No. I have more cars than I really need now.

I count that you only have four. That is not nearly enough. This is America after all. At the least, you need to add a truck to your stable!

megasaurus 12-25-2015 12:14 PM

I did my 2016 E63 AMG Sedan S.

shortspark 12-25-2015 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by cocksaurus (Post 6655153)
I did my 2016 E63 AMG Sedan S.

Oh boy! Lucky you!!!

megasaurus 12-25-2015 12:50 PM

Not luck, just good like that. Grazie signore!

El Cid 12-25-2015 04:58 PM

No. Perfectly content with my 2010 E350, a 2014 Nissan Rogue and a 2011 Toyota Tacoma. All bases covered. Nothing out there really impresses me. The Lincoln is still too much Ford at a much higher price. Wait for the Continental. Jaguar makes most beautiful cars there are, BUT reliability sucks. Even with a great warranty, frequent repairs and long periods of being at the dealership for warranty work does not interest me.
New style for "E" class just doesn't interest me.
You might want to take a look at the Hyundai Genesis sedan as it comes in V6 and V8.
Volvo is building a factory in Charleston, S.C. Hopefully this means Volvo's Chinese owner is going to be investing a lot of money in the Volvo product line.
There are a lot of cars out there to consider.

megasaurus 12-25-2015 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by El Cid (Post 6655321)
No. Perfectly content with my 2010 E350, a 2014 Nissan Rogue and a 2011 Toyota Tacoma. All bases covered. Nothing out there really impresses me. The Lincoln is still too much Ford at a much higher price. Wait for the Continental. Jaguar makes most beautiful cars there are, BUT reliability sucks. Even with a great warranty, frequent repairs and long periods of being at the dealership for warranty work does not interest me.
New style for "E" class just doesn't interest me.
You might want to take a look at the Hyundai Genesis sedan as it comes in V6 and V8.
Volvo is building a factory in Charleston, S.C. Hopefully this means Volvo's Chinese owner is going to be investing a lot of money in the Volvo product line.
There are a lot of cars out there to consider.

Is the OP referring to the w212 MY 2016 or the w213 being released in 2016...

shortspark 12-25-2015 06:01 PM

Yep, you are right that there are so many cars in this segment to consider. That was the purpose of this thread - to see what future sedan buyers were looking at when comparing to the E class. I also agree that the Genesis is a fine car for the money and I test drove one not long ago. The problem was the dealer experience - what low life sales personnel! I won't begin to tell you all that went wrong just for something as simple as a test drive but it really makes me appreciate higher end dealerships.

The Genesis will soon be a separate brand with, hopefully, separate facilities that cater to luxury owners. You simply can't have the Genesis sold and serviced by the same people who sell and service an Elantra. Although I visit the dealer rarely, when I do I want to be treated right and I have never had a bad experience with MB, at least at the two dealerships I have had business with.

I thought Jag had solved most of those problems the last couple years but maybe not. I'll have to look further into that because the nearest dealer is 140 miles away and there are no independent jag mechanics anywhere near me. That is the problem with many desirable cars including Audi, Volvo, Lexus and other higher end manufacturers. They simply don't have dealerships out here in the sticks where I live. The closest is MB which is 40 miles away and they even come out to my house to pick up my car for service and leave a nice loaner. When the job is done they return it all nice and clean. I tip the driver well and he remembers me the next time. This is another reason I always lean towards MB. There are Buick, Lincoln and Cadillac dealerships near the MB facility but I prefer European whenever I can get it. Well, in any event next year will be an interesting one for sure!

shortspark 12-25-2015 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by cocksaurus (Post 6655335)

The E class I am talking about is the w213 which should be released next year as MY 2017.

megasaurus 12-25-2015 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by shortspark (Post 6655344)
The E class I am talking about is the w213 which should be released next year as MY 2017.

As I said previously, and on other posts. The w213 is all hype and the w212 is a timeless classic that will be coveted.

El Cid 12-26-2015 09:18 AM

2014?

Originally Posted by cocksaurus (Post 6655335)

Not sure, but I think it was the 2014 model where they changed the front end, side panels, etc. Regardless I still prefer the version as made in 2010.
Recommendation: Get a brochure (if you can) on each vehicle you are considering and study them throughly. Then go to the websites that compare cars and see the differences.
With all cars, but especially luxury makes, the variables and options are huge.

MBSebas87 12-26-2015 03:15 PM

I will be shopping for CPO 14 E550 late 2016 or early 2017. 2014 was the last year for TT V8 so I must get it no matter what lol

megasaurus 12-26-2015 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by El Cid (Post 6655590)
Not sure, but I think it was the 2014 model where they changed the front end, side panels, etc. Regardless I still prefer the version as made in 2010.
Recommendation: Get a brochure (if you can) on each vehicle you are considering and study them throughly. Then go to the websites that compare cars and see the differences.

He clarified the question read above.

shortspark 12-26-2015 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by El Cid (Post 6655590)

Yes, the websites have a lot of information to compare and the various internet car magazine and review sources are good too. I will be well prepared. But I'm going to do one better and go to the auto show in March. It is over 100 miles away in Dallas but it is worth the drive as it has all the cars on display that I might be interested in. They even have a few that you can test drive just across the street. I did this a few years ago and that is how I settled on the M series. I spent all day there and probably opened and closed 1000 doors - and I will do the same in March. Everything under one roof!

I love the auto shows because they have the latest and greatest models on exhibit and you can look and feel and sit to your heart's content. They have knowledgeable people there to answer your questions but no sales pressure like you find at the dealerships. And always a bunch of wonderful, Texas female models when you want to take a break from looking at cars!!

After the 2012 auto show I was certain I wanted the ML350. I came home and sent emails to several dealer internet departments (within a couple hundred miles of my home) and told them what I wanted in terms of colors and options. One guy wrote back saying he could trade one of his cars coming off the assembly line with a Boston dealer's car that was just what I wanted and it would be here in two weeks. I negotiated the price (got 9% off which was fair I thought with no trade or incentives) and we drove to Dallas to pick it up when the car arrived. That was the first time I ever saw the dealership or the internet manager. I might have done better than 9% off in person and going back and forth with various dealers but doing everything from my home, not putting any money down and saving all the trips and time was worth a whole bunch to me.

Well, this has nothing to do with the subject I guess but I want to repeat this excellent buying experience when I get my sedan. I hope it works out just as good for me this time around.

Dema 12-26-2015 05:22 PM

I always have intention to get my next car different than MB or BMW, and then after some mistakes return to MB and BMW again and again. I stopped wasting time visiting Audi, Cadillac, Lexus, and other dealerships. They have cars and perhaps they are not so bad, but very different league. I strongly recommend to take E class or even S if you can afford. I do not think that E213 will be kind of dramatic change At least 2014 face lift brought E class in a shape of almost perfect car. Can it be better? No doubts.

El Cid 12-26-2015 05:31 PM

Are you sure?

Originally Posted by shortspark (Post 6655341)
The Genesis will soon be a separate brand with, hopefully, separate facilities that cater to luxury owners. You simply can't have the Genesis sold and serviced by the same people who sell and service an Elantra.

Is Hyundai really going to set up separate dealerships for Genesis and Equus or is this just some hype from a salesperson.
This has been a hot topic since Genesis came out, but I have not heard of Hyundai actually doing this. They do have a limited number of dealers permitted to sell Equus and they have to have a "dedicated" show room area for them.
Considering there are only two Genesis models (including coupe) and only one Equus, it would be very difficult for a dealership to be profitable. Especially with NO SUV's at all.

El Cid 12-26-2015 05:40 PM

Auto Shows

Originally Posted by shortspark (Post 6655796)
I'm going to do one better and go to the auto show in March. It is over 100 miles away in Dallas but it is worth the drive as it has all the cars on display that I might be interested in. They even have a few that you can test drive just across the street. I did this a few years ago and that is how I settled on the M series. I spent all day there and probably opened and closed 1000 doors - and I will do the same in March. Everything under one roof!

I love the auto shows because they have the latest and greatest models on exhibit and you can look and feel and sit to your heart's content. They have knowledgeable people there to answer your questions but no sales pressure like you find at the dealerships. And always a bunch of wonderful, Texas female models when you want to take a break from looking at cars!!

After the 2012 auto show I was certain I wanted the ML350. I came home and sent emails to several dealer internet departments (within a couple hundred miles of my home) and told them what I wanted in terms of colors and options. One guy wrote back saying he could trade one of his cars coming off the assembly line with a Boston dealer's car that was just what I wanted and it would be here in two weeks. I negotiated the price (got 9% off which was fair I thought with no trade or incentives) and we drove to Dallas to pick it up when the car arrived. That was the first time I ever saw the dealership or the internet manager. I might have done better than 9% off in person and going back and forth with various dealers but doing everything from my home, not putting any money down and saving all the trips and time was worth a whole bunch to me.

Well, this has nothing to do with the subject I guess but I want to repeat this excellent buying experience when I get my sedan. I hope it works out just as good for me this time around.

You're lucky, the only Auto Show in S.C. never has MB, Audi, BMW, etc. Heavy on GM, Ford, Honda, Fiat-Chrysler, Toyota, Acura and some Lexus.
There is an MB dealer in the city where it is held and BMW has its only US factory in same city.

shortspark 12-26-2015 06:03 PM

Yes, Hyundai will market a new brand of vehicle and several will be coming out in the next few years, according to reports. The brand will be known as "Genesis" and the first one out is the G90 (the equivalent of their flagship sedan, "Equus"). I believe the current sedan model named "Genesis" will be named G80 under the "Genesis" brand umbrella. Like Honda/Acura and Nissan/Infiniti, etc. Hyundai has finally realized that the upper end market needs special attention to customers that only a dedicated luxury brand can deliver. As I said earlier, you should never sell and service a true luxury vehicle at the same place as an Elantra. Read this: http://www.carscoops.com/2015/12/her...nesis-g90.html

El Cid 12-27-2015 10:40 AM

Thanks

Originally Posted by shortspark (Post 6655857)
Yes, Hyundai will market a new brand of vehicle and several will be coming out in the next few years, according to reports. The brand will be known as "Genesis" and the first one out is the G90 (the equivalent of their flagship sedan, "Equus"). I believe the current sedan model named "Genesis" will be named G80 under the "Genesis" brand umbrella. Like Honda/Acura and Nissan/Infiniti, etc. Hyundai has finally realized that the upper end market needs special attention to customers that only a dedicated luxury brand can deliver. As I said earlier, you should never sell and service a true luxury vehicle at the same place as an Elantra. Read this: http://www.carscoops.com/2015/12/her...nesis-g90.html

Thanks for the info. Did some searching and seems Genesis will be a new "brand" and will be interesting to see how they market the vehicles and the line-up. Acura was the first "new" luxury brand (even before Lexus), but never really has caught on.
As for getting luxury cars serviced at same place as Elantra. Wonder how "S" and AMG and SL guys feel about getting their cars serviced at same place that does CLA? MB/DAG is consistently moving toward greater penetration of the "medium price" field.

El Cid 12-28-2015 11:56 AM

Appears there are "official" internet sites for Genesis Motors already, but not a lot of information on them. One independent site thinks the main purpose is to increase the profit margin on sales of Genesis and Equus and Hyundai overall.
I checked out the "official" current Hyundai Genesis site. Lot of stuff is optional that should be standard IMO. Number 2 and 3 packages require purchase of the number 1 and/or 2 packages at a very hefty price.

C280 Sport 12-29-2015 03:46 PM

Thought about a new car for 2016. However, my W212 is very young still. Dealer will not give me much for it even with nearly all the options and great condition. Unless a sweet deal comes along on a new GLE I am set for now.

El Cid 12-29-2015 03:50 PM

Try Carmax

Originally Posted by C280 Sport (Post 6658494)
Thought about a new car for 2016. However, my W212 is very young still. Dealer will not give me much for it even with nearly all the options and great condition. Unless a sweet deal comes along on a new GLE I am set for now.

You could try Carmax for an outright sale to them, but it takes from 1-2 hours for them to appraise the car. This is an alternative to selling it yourself. If nothing else, gives you a more realistic "trade-in" value.

Dema 12-29-2015 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by El Cid (Post 6655846)
Is Hyundai really going to set up separate dealerships for Genesis and Equus or is this just some hype from a salesperson.
This has been a hot topic since Genesis came out, but I have not heard of Hyundai actually doing this. They do have a limited number of dealers permitted to sell Equus and they have to have a "dedicated" show room area for them.
Considering there are only two Genesis models (including coupe) and only one Equus, it would be very difficult for a dealership to be profitable. Especially with NO SUV's at all.

I just acquired Equus and can say that Hyundai dealers do not know how to sale this caliber of cars. They have still $20k car sale approach. It is annoying and lowers overall experience of obtaining a car. I do not think they are ready to separate dealerships yet. Sales numbers are still low. They sale 2-3 Equus a month, and it is only one dealer in my area having Equus in lot. For example Lexus sales about 10-15 LS460, and perhaps 3-7 other Lexus daily.

lawguy 12-29-2015 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by El Cid (Post 6658499)
You could try Carmax for an outright sale to them, but it takes from 1-2 hours for them to appraise the car. This is an alternative to selling it yourself. If nothing else, gives you a more realistic "trade-in" value.

Hmm. Does Car Max offer something close to NADA trade value, or just "auction value", like most dealers seem to do these days. Quite the pisser.

Originally Posted by MBSebas87 (Post 6655768)
I will be shopping for CPO 14 E550 late 2016 or early 2017. 2014 was the last year for TT V8 so I must get it no matter what lol

Ditto.