Much thanks to him/her.
Him
The following users liked this post:
homeyclaus (03-29-2017)
Old 04-25-2017, 12:32 PM

Received 136 Likes on 125 Posts
W212 E-class, W211 E-class, F10 5-Series
Originally Posted by konigstiger
If vehicle was purchased new/used from MB dealer and service regularly performed by MB dealer MB will/should approve goodwill assistance - reference bulletin.

Not uncommon: https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...nsmission.html

For the benefit of 4matic membership if you experience vibration/shuddering request transmission replacement referencing bulletin LI28.00-P-051499.
konigstiger,
You seem to be very knowledgeable; do you know if this affected/applies to 2007 E550 4Matic as well. I had been complaining about this issue to the dealership while my car was under CPO warranty and they blew me off until my warranty expired, then magically they said "your transfer case is bad and needs to be replaced with whole tranny".

I am afraid to ask GregTR for fear of getting chewed out and getting called "lazy"...

Last edited by tresean1; 04-25-2017 at 12:36 PM.
Old 04-25-2017, 01:07 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,412 Likes on 3,144 Posts
'71 Pinto
Check your email.
The following users liked this post:
tresean1 (04-25-2017)
Old 04-25-2017, 02:11 PM

Received 136 Likes on 125 Posts
W212 E-class, W211 E-class, F10 5-Series
Thank you so much Dan, you are a great value here!!!!!!
Old 07-11-2017, 11:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 E Class 350 4matic
Bad Transfer Case

Originally Posted by Funkster
My dealer has told me I have a bad transfer case and it has to be bought from Mercedes with the transmission. To replace the whole unit is $8,000. The car only has 26,000 miles on it. Is this right? Is there no way to just replace the transfer case for a fraction of a transmission/ transfer case?
I just came back from the MB dealer for a second opinion and have bad news as well. They tell me I need to replace the whole transmission. I'm getting a whinning noise at speeds over 30 mph. My independent mechanic told me it was probably a bad bearing in the transfer case, but he recommending going to the dealer for a second opinion. My guy never charged me for his diagnosis. So now I go to the dealer and for $165 diagnostic charge they tell me it could be either of two things: either the front pump in the transmission is bad or there's a bad bearing in the transfer case. Either way they would have to replace the entire transmission because MB doesn't sell parts, or separate Transfer Case for my 2010 350 Eclass 4matic. Seriously, I would expect this answer from Ford or Dodge but from MB? Outrageous. They want $8400 for the new tranny, AND they want to charge me $165 for not being able to tell me exactly what the problem is. I've read on forums that there are independent shops that can fix the issue? Anyone have any ideas on local tranny shops that can do this repair. I'm in the southwest suburbs of Chicago but am willing to drive a distance to a good repair shop. I'm thinking I shoudn't have to pay this diagnosis charge. Any thoughts on this or how do people feel about getting a diagnosis like this ? After all the bad stuff i've been reading about this 722.9 tranny and all the problems they have had I can't believe MB wouldn't do anything. Dealer offered me a $500 disccount on work(seriously ?), but that would still be $7900 cost. Anyone have any ideas on who to contact at MB to plead my case? It made me even more mad when the service advisor told me that if I had spent more money at the dealership in services/repairs etc, that it would make for a better case to get MB to help. That's extortion in my eyes. If the tranny is defective or problematic, as threads are saying , then MB should be replacing it free of charge and not telling people we only do it if you have overspent on services with us. I've really soured on MB, this was my first Benz and we were going to buy a GLK in the fall, but now after this, we will reconsider buying another Benz.
Old 07-14-2017, 02:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 834 Likes on 603 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Originally Posted by gcocokios
I just came back from the MB dealer for a second opinion and have bad news as well. They tell me I need to replace the whole transmission. I'm getting a whinning noise at speeds over 30 mph. My independent mechanic told me it was probably a bad bearing in the transfer case, but he recommending going to the dealer for a second opinion. My guy never charged me for his diagnosis. So now I go to the dealer and for $165 diagnostic charge they tell me it could be either of two things: either the front pump in the transmission is bad or there's a bad bearing in the transfer case. Either way they would have to replace the entire transmission because MB doesn't sell parts, or separate Transfer Case for my 2010 350 Eclass 4matic. Seriously, I would expect this answer from Ford or Dodge but from MB? Outrageous. They want $8400 for the new tranny, AND they want to charge me $165 for not being able to tell me exactly what the problem is. I've read on forums that there are independent shops that can fix the issue? Anyone have any ideas on local tranny shops that can do this repair. I'm in the southwest suburbs of Chicago but am willing to drive a distance to a good repair shop. I'm thinking I shoudn't have to pay this diagnosis charge. Any thoughts on this or how do people feel about getting a diagnosis like this ? After all the bad stuff i've been reading about this 722.9 tranny and all the problems they have had I can't believe MB wouldn't do anything. Dealer offered me a $500 disccount on work(seriously ?), but that would still be $7900 cost. Anyone have any ideas on who to contact at MB to plead my case? It made me even more mad when the service advisor told me that if I had spent more money at the dealership in services/repairs etc, that it would make for a better case to get MB to help. That's extortion in my eyes. If the tranny is defective or problematic, as threads are saying , then MB should be replacing it free of charge and not telling people we only do it if you have overspent on services with us. I've really soured on MB, this was my first Benz and we were going to buy a GLK in the fall, but now after this, we will reconsider buying another Benz.

It most likely is the bearing and with that any good shop with tools should be able to fix it. Bearings are very low cost parts and you can probably install a better and stronger bearing to replace the bad one.

MB did not design the tranny with their own bearings. They designed it with bearings on the market, just picked too weak one for it.
Old 07-14-2017, 10:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,615 Likes on 1,186 Posts
2014 E550-sold 😩
Call Carmine Burdi at Burdi Motorworks in Schiller Park and explain your problem to him. There is no better independent MB shop in the Chicago area specializing in Mercedes Benz. 847-678-4801
Old 07-14-2017, 11:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 78 Posts
2010 E550 P2 w/AMG Sport Package + Pano, 2015 Nissan Pathfinder
Originally Posted by gcocokios
It made me even more mad when the service advisor told me that if I had spent more money at the dealership in services/repairs etc, that it would make for a better case to get MB to help. That's extortion in my eyes.
Sadly this is the way things work in many areas of business. Relationships whether by spending money or association go a long way. I agree with you that it really shouldn't be that way. Since most people who go to Benz dealerships all the time are under warranty or have maintenance programs. They are technically paying up front and rolling it into their loan. Where the person without those plans are paying out of pocket on site by credit or "Str8 Cash Homey" in the words of Randy Moss lol.

I think there should be something is place that if I pay out of pocket for something that they diagnose incorrectly then they are on the hook until the initial problem gets fixed. That would alleviate false diagnosis or pure lazy unethical behavior.

Just my 50 cent