E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

My 1st Eco Start/Stop Experience

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 08:21 PM

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts
2015 E550 Coupe
Originally Posted by El Cid
Not about pushing a button. It is about having to push the "damn button." For a radio or other audio, navigation, etc., you are choosing.
It's like having to push the "damn button" to close a window every time you get in.
And it is about MB requiring everybody to "push a damn button" so they can sell far more profitable cars that are gas guzzlers.
Well there is always Toyota, Hyundai, Honda or Nissan. Lots of other car manufactures to select from, if MB isn't really what you like. Drive whatever makes you happy. That's the only thing that is important at the end of the day.
Old 02-13-2016, 10:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 257 Likes on 202 Posts
2019 E300
Not about pushing a button. It is about having to push the "damn button." For a radio or other audio, navigation, etc., you are choosing.
It's like having to push the "damn button" to close a window every time you get in.
How about the door handle, start button, steering wheel, gas pedal or brake pedal? Why does Mercedes make us operate those things? Why cant the car drive itself.
Old 02-13-2016, 02:36 PM

Received 181 Likes on 115 Posts
2015 E400 and 2015 GLK350
No, the governments (including European ones) just set the Corporate Average. The manufacturer decides how to meet the average.
DAG/MB decided to eliminate spare tires, add stop/start ECO, etc. so they could continue to sell very profitable gas guzzlers.

Sorry, but if this button is such a big deal to you, you obviously bought the wrong car. Maybe someone here will buy it from you.

Personally, I never begrudge my cars the gas they use, as long as they run as I expect them to run. If MB had chickened out and sold only economical cars, I wouldn't have bought one, as the performance coupled with luxury is what I wanted.

If I can't burn up a couple of dead dinosaurs on the way to work in the morning, I'm not having any fun. . .
Old 02-13-2016, 03:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
2014 E350 4Matic
And it is about MB requiring everybody to "push a damn button" so they can sell far more profitable cars that are gas guzzlers.
Just so you all know, MidCity Engineering makes an eco-off button for the affected MB's that reverses its operation so that you have to push the eco button to turn-on the eco function every time you start the car. See: http://www.midcityengineering.com/oe...-mercedes-benz

Myself, I don't care. Most of my driving is stop and go anyway. I might go for the midcityengineering radar/laser integration though for my highway runs.
Old 03-12-2016, 01:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E400
Agree with the annoyance, especially in stop-and-go traffic. What MB and others need to do is put at least a 3-5 second pause before actually stopping the engine. That would really help in these circumstances. However, when caught by a long light and using the brake "hold" feature, I'm convinced the gas savings, over time, could be considerable.

Originally Posted by thenew3

Unless MB implements something similar in the near future, my next car will not be an MB. I absolutely cannot stand the start/stop feature.
Old 03-13-2016, 10:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 678 Likes on 643 Posts
2014 E350 also restored: 1969 Camaro convertible SS 1957 Chevy Belair 2dr hardtop
Do what I did get the module that Midcity engineering in Chicago makes and have it installed and every time you get into the car the eco button is disconnected. I no longer have to press the button every time I get into t5he car. Cost was about $200 with the installation. Takes about 2 hours.
Old 03-14-2016, 01:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 78 Posts
2010 E550 P2 w/AMG Sport Package + Pano, 2015 Nissan Pathfinder
$200 is not bad at all. It seems worth it for those who are really annoyed and have the vehicle as a DD.
Old 03-14-2016, 01:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 E300
Originally Posted by jahquan3
$200 is not bad at all. It seems worth it for those who are really annoyed and have the vehicle as a DD.
If you are going to pop an heart artery by just having to push a button like some owners here, then $200 is a bargain
Old 03-14-2016, 02:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 678 Likes on 643 Posts
2014 E350 also restored: 1969 Camaro convertible SS 1957 Chevy Belair 2dr hardtop
Originally Posted by The G Man
If you are going to pop an heart artery by just having to push a button like some owners here, then $200 is a bargain
No popped artery just annoyed. BMW has a switch to disconnect why can't Mercedes? Owners have to put up with this minor thing because of fuel ratings to make Mercedes Benz look good? I would have paid $800 to get rid of the damn thing. I do not want a car that would hesitate making a left turn with traffic coming at me. Eventually someone will get killed because of the hesitation then Mercedes Benz will install a switch.
Old 03-14-2016, 03:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 E300
Originally Posted by dbldpr
No popped artery just annoyed. BMW has a switch to disconnect why can't Mercedes? Owners have to put up with this minor thing because of fuel ratings to make Mercedes Benz look good? I would have paid $800 to get rid of the damn thing. I do not want a car that would hesitate making a left turn with traffic coming at me. Eventually someone will get killed because of the hesitation then Mercedes Benz will install a switch.
Easy big fella, deep breaths, inhale, exhale
Old 03-14-2016, 03:45 PM

Received 62 Likes on 61 Posts
2013 E550 4Matic
Yeah MB won't install a switch because someone blames the "hesitation" for their accident... instead, MB will blame the driver for not waiting for a safe time to cross the intersection. And the insurance companies will be on their side. Good luck fighting that battle. I bought a car that didn't have that ECO stop/start, because I didn't want that "feature"

I wonder if that auto-off switch someone posted above works for the ESP and turns on S-mode automatically... because going through the cluster menu and pushing the button on the console is SO hard.