Low frequency droning sound on '12 E550 - Solved

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-11-2016, 02:55 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 E550 (W212)
Low frequency droning sound on '12 E550 - Solved

Hi All,
Longtime listener/first time caller, thought I'd share a solution to an annoying problem. I just picked up my E550 from a few days at the local MB dealer. Since I bought the car in the fall I've noticed a low frequency droning sound in any speed/gear. It starts at 1400 rpm and goes away at 1600, just like clockwork. Since that's a common rpm around town & highway when driving reasonably it happened a lot. During my last service they couldn't find a cause and we agreed to have it looked at during my next visit when I could leave the car with them for more diagnostic time.

While in for my 40k B service this week I asked the dealer to continue the investigation. They found the cause to be the transmission and motor mounts and replaced all of them under warranty. The car is back to near silence instead of the droning sound and is even more rewarding to drive now.

Also had them replace the plugs & air filters to ensure I was getting the most out of my recent OE tune. The CLA 250 4M loaner was a nice interim vehicle and definitely a different experience, but I'm really happy to have the 550 back. Can't wait for my next commute to the office
Happy motoring!
-Adam

Last edited by @dman; 03-12-2016 at 01:46 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by @dman:
MBNUT1 (03-13-2016), waughly (04-05-2016)
Old 03-13-2016, 11:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts
2010 E550 4M P2 Distronic, CLK550 Cab P2
Good info Adam.... Did you tell MB that you had the OE tune?
You happy with the tune? I have it in my NA550 and like it a lot, but must be very noticeable noticeable on the TT...
Old 03-13-2016, 12:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 938 Likes on 685 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
Thanks for posting this. It is very rewarding to see somebody post a solution. Little doubt that this post will help someone in the future
Old 03-13-2016, 08:19 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 E550 (W212)
Yes, I was upfront with my SA about the tune. My pre-tune visit for the last Service A had an effort to find the issue (documented prior to tune in other words). It sounded like they found a service bulletin that advised loosening/tightening the mounts to see if this helps, followed by replacement.

He said the tech was impressed during the test drive and noticed it wasn't "just another E550". I'm really happy with the tune thus far. With new plugs & air filters I can't wait to swap in my summer tires.

-Adam

Originally Posted by Airmousam
Good info Adam.... Did you tell MB that you had the OE tune?
You happy with the tune? I have it in my NA550 and like it a lot, but must be very noticeable noticeable on the TT...
Old 09-21-2023, 09:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 Mercedes E550
[QUOTE=@dman;6735498]Hi All,
Longtime listener/first time caller, thought I'd share a solution to an annoying problem. I just picked up my E550 from a few days at the local MB dealer. Since I bought the car in the fall I've noticed a low frequency droning sound in any speed/gear. It starts at 1400 rpm and goes away at 1600, just like clockwork. Since that's a common rpm around town & highway when driving reasonably it happened a lot. During my last service they couldn't find a cause and we agreed to have it looked at during my next visit when I could leave the car with them for more diagnostic time.

While in for my 40k B service this week I asked the dealer to continue the investigation. They found the cause to be the transmission and motor mounts and replaced all of them under warranty. The car is back to near silence instead of the droning sound and is even more rewarding to drive now.

This being done at a benz dealer may I was how much was it? I realize this might be a while since you maybe got a message on the post, but just wondering. Thanks