E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Front license plate in Texas?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 04:37 PM

Received 95 Likes on 60 Posts
2012 E350
OK folks, so I lived in states with and without front license plates. I try;y don't see what the big deal of a front plate is. I don't think it ruins anything. But thats just my opinion.
Old 06-29-2016, 04:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,616 Likes on 1,186 Posts
2014 E550-sold 😩
I have to agree with you on that, but I have always lived where front plates are required and I guess I'm used to seeing them. Could live in the UK and have a big long number plate plastered on the front. It's a subjective third world problem. Some people like all blacked out grills too.
Old 06-29-2016, 04:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 384 Likes on 314 Posts
2011 E550 P2 4M Sedan
depends on the car for me. Some look better with a front plate, especially when they've got a dedicated space for it. In this case, I prefer mine without anything on the front. However, the first owner lived in a required front plate state so I am left with the holes that I have plugged.

Thankfully I've only live in states without a front plate requirement. Front vanity plates are still pretty popular for some.
Old 06-29-2016, 07:47 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2004 SL500, 2014 E350
I have lived in Austin with three cars that have no front plate for eight years. Two of my cars don't have any holes drilled in them. My third car had holes and I had to use bumper plugs. Here is a before and after shot. The plate just doesn't fit!

Old 07-02-2016, 11:38 AM

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
2015 S550 4MATIC
I have 4 vehicles and live in DFW. Only 1 has a front plate and I have never had any issues.
Old 07-02-2016, 03:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
Think of all the money the front plate states could make if they just enforced the law. Could probably lower gas and other taxes. Not to mention improving the roads.
Old 07-02-2016, 05:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,616 Likes on 1,186 Posts
2014 E550-sold 😩
Originally Posted by El Cid
Think of all the money the front plate states could make if they just enforced the law. Could probably lower gas and other taxes. Not to mention improving the roads.
Come to Chicago and watch how it's done. It is a big time money maker.
Old 07-03-2016, 09:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Here in S.C. many local dealers abuse the fact state does not have front plates. As soon as they get a car in, they drill the bumper and mount their advertising plates. Fortunately the MB dealer doesn't do it. Nissan does, but Toyota quit due to complaints from customers.
Old 07-03-2016, 10:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 678 Likes on 643 Posts
2014 E350 also restored: 1969 Camaro convertible SS 1957 Chevy Belair 2dr hardtop
Originally Posted by KEY08
Come to Chicago and watch how it's done. It is a big time money maker.
I live north of Chicago and I have the front plate but when I go on vacation all the states we go through only have rear plates. Wife got a ticket 20 years ago and she was not speeding. We had a CB in car and knew where the south Carolina trooper was in Bishopsville. He was going in opposite direction. Saw that we had a front plate and made a U turn and pulled her over. I asked to see the radar shot and he said no. I looked inside his vehicle and it had nothing on it he made me go sit in car. He only pulled her over because she had a front plate. After that as soon as I leave the house for vacation I take off the front plate and put it under the front floor matt. Knock on wood in 18 years we have not been pulled over because they think we are one of the good old boys. Contacted AAA and after the incident they routed people around bishopsville south Carolina. Said it was a speed trap for out of state drivers. They had dozens of complaints. A couple years later they put a fence down the medium in Bishopsville and the troopers could not make a U turn. I guess they lost to much revenue with out of state drivers avoiding the area. When I get back to Illinois I put the plate back on.
Old 07-03-2016, 10:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 E350 also restored: 1969 Camaro convertible SS 1957 Chevy Belair 2dr hardtop
Here in S.C. many local dealers abuse the fact state does not have front plates. As soon as they get a car in, they drill the bumper and mount their advertising plates. Fortunately the MB dealer doesn't do it. Nissan does, but Toyota quit due to complaints from customers.
What part of SC are you from. I hope not Bishopsville We have been to Myrtle beach 28 times.
Old 07-03-2016, 10:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Not anymore

Originally Posted by dbldpr
I live north of Chicago and I have the front plate but when I go on vacation all the states we go through only have rear plates. Wife got a ticket 20 years ago and she was not speeding. We had a CB in car and knew where the south Carolina trooper was in Bishopsville. He was going in opposite direction. Saw that we had a front plate and made a U turn and pulled her over. I asked to see the radar shot and he said no. I looked inside his vehicle and it had nothing on it he made me go sit in car. He only pulled her over because she had a front plate. After that as soon as I leave the house for vacation I take off the front plate and put it under the front floor matt. Knock on wood in 18 years we have not been pulled over because they think we are one of the good old boys. Contacted AAA and after the incident they routed people around bishopsville south Carolina. Said it was a speed trap for out of state drivers. They had dozens of complaints. A couple years later they put a fence down the medium in Bishopsville and the troopers could not make a U turn. I guess they lost to much revenue with out of state drivers avoiding the area. When I get back to Illinois I put the plate back on.
I live in northeast corner, but grew up in Myrtle Beach area. Haven't been back since. Keep coming though, we need your money. Especially with all the extra taxes in Horry County.
As for being pulled in Bishopville, why didn't you contest the traffic ticket if wife not speeding? Did the officer give her a ticket for speeding? What kind of car? Were you on I-20 or actually in Bishopville? Were you stopped by state trooper, county sheriff deputy or a Bishopville police officer? Very few (if any) cities have jurisdiction to give tickets on interstates and county sheriff departments very rarely do it. Too much crime and accident investigations for them to do.
The purpose of the "fence" is to prevent crossovers from other side of interstate. Used to be a major problem.
Incidentally, a speed trap is when the speed limit sign is obscurred. If road is posted and you are speeding, it's not a trap. Also, rule of thumb for most law enfocement in S.C. is 10 MPH over the limit before stoppind or giving a ticket.
Old 07-03-2016, 11:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I live in northeast corner, but grew up in Myrtle Beach area. Haven't been back since. Keep coming though, we need your money. Especially with all the extra taxes in Horry County.
As for being pulled in Bishopville, why didn't you contest the traffic ticket if wife not speeding? Did the officer give her a ticket for speeding? What kind of car? Were you on I-20 or actually in Bishopville? Were you stopped by state trooper, county sheriff deputy or a Bishopville police officer? Very few (if any) cities have jurisdiction to give tickets on interstates and county sheriff departments very rarely do it. Too much crime and accident investigations for them to do.
The purpose of the "fence" is to prevent crossovers from other side of interstate. Used to be a major problem.
Incidentally, a speed trap is when the speed limit sign is obscurred. If road is posted and you are speeding, it's not a trap. Also, rule of thumb for most law enfocement in S.C. is 10 MPH over the limit before stoppind or giving a ticket.
We were not speeding. We knew where the County sheriff was 9 miles before we arrived at that area. We were on the I-20. It was a trap speed was posted and we were actually 2 miles per hour under the then posted speed. Driving a Cadillac deville. According the the Tripple A they had dozens of compaints about the bishopsville area. That is why they started to route people around the area. THe cop actually said he had the most suffocated piece of equipment out and that is when I said let me see the speed that you locked in on. He said he cannot lock on. I said what is the 3rd screen for if not to lock in. I said I had the most suffocated radar equipment on and you never turned the radar on until you got behind us. That is when he ordered me to get back in the car or he would arrest me. We wrote letters to every state of South Carolina official and it fell on deaf ears. That is the one and only ticket my wife ever had. For years every time I got near Bishopsville I would get on the CB and warn people about the crocked cops in bishopsville. Now you only see them hiding in the bushes. and we pretty much know where they are. Do not get me wrong I love South Carolina and also Lake Norman north Carolina. IN a couple of months we will be there for about a month. We do not Golf but we go to outlet malls and flee markets. There are plenty of them Also love the waffle houses and krispy Cream donuts.
Old 07-03-2016, 03:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 ML350 W166
If you must have a front plate...

Thumbs up for the Skene bracket. Very minimal design and only requires two 7/64" holes in a position that will not be visible if the bracket is later removed.
Old 07-03-2016, 05:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Will take your word for it.

We were not speeding. We knew where the County sheriff was 9 miles before we arrived at that area. We were on the I-20. It was a trap speed was posted and we were actually 2 miles per hour under the then posted speed. Driving a Cadillac deville. According the the Tripple A they had dozens of compaints about the bishopsville area. That is why they started to route people around the area. THe cop actually said he had the most suffocated piece of equipment out and that is when I said let me see the speed that you locked in on. He said he cannot lock on. I said what is the 3rd screen for if not to lock in. I said I had the most suffocated radar equipment on and you never turned the radar on until you got behind us. That is when he ordered me to get back in the car or he would arrest me. We wrote letters to every state of South Carolina official and it fell on deaf ears. That is the one and only ticket my wife ever had. For years every time I got near Bishopsville I would get on the CB and warn people about the crocked cops in bishopsville. Now you only see them hiding in the bushes. and we pretty much know where they are. Do not get me wrong I love South Carolina and also Lake Norman north Carolina. IN a couple of months we will be there for about a month. We do not Golf but we go to outlet malls and flee markets. There are plenty of them Also love the waffle houses and krispy Cream donuts.
Will take your word that you weren't speeding and assume that you did not want to take trouble to go before the county magistrate to contest the ticket. I have received several tickets for speeding over my driving life-time, all in S.C. Never doing less than 10 MPH over the limit and limits were clearly posted. Totally my fault.
Doubt that most law enforcement agencies do the speed trap routine anymore.
Regardless, welcome back and hope you have a safe and enjoyable trip. Just be careful of hurricaines, humidity, heat and mosquitos.
Happy Motoring!
Old 07-03-2016, 07:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Will take your word that you weren't speeding and assume that you did not want to take trouble to go before the county magistrate to contest the ticket. I have received several tickets for speeding over my driving life-time, all in S.C. Never doing less than 10 MPH over the limit and limits were clearly posted. Totally my fault.
Doubt that most law enforcement agencies do the speed trap routine anymore.
Regardless, welcome back and hope you have a safe and enjoyable trip. Just be careful of hurricaines, humidity, heat and mosquitos.
Happy Motoring!
Humidity is ok in may and September. Heat is ok also at that time of year. If you stay on ocean we have never had problem with mosquitos. Knock on wood I have not had a ticket in 50 years. That includes parking tickets. Wife has only gotten the one in 50 years. Old couple with all the time to take there is no need to speed. When I drive I usually will not go more than 5 over the limit So I guess that is speeding but it is like you said they usually will not bother you until you are 10 or more over. Since they raised the speed limit there really is no need to speed anymore. Overall IF we ever move it would be south Carolina. WE just love the area and would not let one bad area ruin our enjoyment. You are lucky to live in such a great state.
Old 07-04-2016, 09:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Drunkest drivers of any beach town

Humidity is ok in may and September. Heat is ok also at that time of year. If you stay on ocean we have never had problem with mosquitos. Knock on wood I have not had a ticket in 50 years. That includes parking tickets. Wife has only gotten the one in 50 years. Old couple with all the time to take there is no need to speed. When I drive I usually will not go more than 5 over the limit So I guess that is speeding but it is like you said they usually will not bother you until you are 10 or more over. Since they raised the speed limit there really is no need to speed anymore. Overall IF we ever move it would be south Carolina. WE just love the area and would not let one bad area ruin our enjoyment. You are lucky to live in such a great state.
Myrtle Beach just made number one on list of drunkest drivers in beach towns. Based on average of breathalyzer results from beach towns/cities.
There are good things about S.C., but also some not so good - just like any other state.
The following users liked this post:
dbldpr (07-04-2016)
Old 07-08-2016, 05:03 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
14 E350; 12 Camaro; 07 Range Rocer; 06 Dodge Ram
I like my front plate, the little holes on the bumper does not change value of any vehicle.