E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

w212 2012 e350 4Matic Road Noise 60+ MPH

Old 07-07-2016, 01:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 e350 4Matic
3rd day, no call, no updates. I don't even want to call with the fear of them giving me crap. Still waiting...
Old 07-07-2016, 02:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 Mercedes C300
Wow this is turning into a big headache and I feel bad for you. I recently went through the same process on a 2011 4m but with a LOUD noticeable knock in the bottom end of the engine (Known issue with a tsb for bad crank bearings). I fought with 3 different mb dealers and not one would acknowledge the noise or problem. It was so bad that I told the service manager and the the gm of the dealership to take the car shove it up there ***. Then I turned to mbusa and got in touch with the local area manager and expressed my concern with the lack of any help for a car that had 30k miles and sounded like a damn diesel. He contacted the 3rd dealer who kept giving me the run around and wouldn't follow the tsb that I printed and gave them to check the bottom end of the motor, the excuse? If we take it apart it may cause more problems. That really set me off lol. Anyways end of the story I traded the car in at the 3rd dealer and received $2k from corporate towards a new car. I was able to negotiate a lease of a 2015 e350 4m for $359 a month. Some of them understood my frustration and others couldn't care unless they were going to make money on the deal. Worst case please call corporate and get them to oversee the dealership and what they have found. Good luck and keep us posted!!
The following users liked this post:
Jack McCarty (09-28-2019)
Old 07-07-2016, 04:21 PM

2012 e350 4Matic
Originally Posted by jdawg21
Wow this is turning into a big headache and I feel bad for you. I recently went through the same process on a 2011 4m but with a LOUD noticeable knock in the bottom end of the engine (Known issue with a tsb for bad crank bearings). I fought with 3 different mb dealers and not one would acknowledge the noise or problem. It was so bad that I told the service manager and the the gm of the dealership to take the car shove it up there ***. Then I turned to mbusa and got in touch with the local area manager and expressed my concern with the lack of any help for a car that had 30k miles and sounded like a damn diesel. He contacted the 3rd dealer who kept giving me the run around and wouldn't follow the tsb that I printed and gave them to check the bottom end of the motor, the excuse? If we take it apart it may cause more problems. That really set me off lol. Anyways end of the story I traded the car in at the 3rd dealer and received $2k from corporate towards a new car. I was able to negotiate a lease of a 2015 e350 4m for $359 a month. Some of them understood my frustration and others couldn't care unless they were going to make money on the deal. Worst case please call corporate and get them to oversee the dealership and what they have found. Good luck and keep us posted!!

Wow, sounds like I'm going through a similar situation. I have contacted MBUSA regional manager, waiting to hear back. I wouldn't mind jumping into a newer e350, my goal however is to not have a payment so for me at the end it would depend the final sales price.

Is it a good thing they have the car for 3 days without a callback? It's so dang frustrating, I'm afraid to call them and I'm certain they don't want to call me with ANY bad news as I gave it my all the last time I was there.
Old 07-07-2016, 04:56 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
2016 E250 BT, 2021 EQC 400
Originally Posted by usautocustoms
Is it a good thing they have the car for 3 days without a callback?
I would expect a daily call with an update of their efforts... but I'm known to expect too much!!

Regardless, I hope this is a good thing!
Old 07-07-2016, 06:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 384 Likes on 314 Posts
2011 E550 P2 4M Sedan
In these situations when there is a long delay with no communication or work getting done, it always feels to me that it's on purpose so you don't bring the car back after they don't find anything.
Old 07-07-2016, 08:13 PM

2012 e350 4Matic
Originally Posted by thefisch
In these situations when there is a long delay with no communication or work getting done, it always feels to me that it's on purpose so you don't bring the car back after they don't find anything.
They're going to get it back regardless and since this is occurring while it's under warranty and the warranty expires wouldn't it still be covered if not fixed?
Old 07-07-2016, 08:28 PM

2008 Mercedes C300
They're going to get it back regardless and since this is occurring while it's under warranty and the warranty expires wouldn't it still be covered if not fixed?
I here you, I fortunately had $100 less a month payment with the 4 year newer model. Also I have a business (LLC) that I write off the lease on my taxes, which not everyone who has a lease can do. After reading this comment I couldn't agree with you more, in my situation I bought the extended warranty through MB before this even came to be a problem. Which I also HIGHLY recommend if you plan on keep the car. For a couple thousand you can get a great extended warranty through mbusa and tell them you will bring it back every week until it is fixed. That might get there attention. I'd have to say if and when the warranty expires I couldn't keep it past then without an mb warranty, just my 2 cents but if there is a problem it most likely won't be cheap to fix. One more question, worst case scenario, what's your states lemon law? Might possibly have a case if there is something from mb stating there was a problem at somepoint and it still hasn't been fixed without multiple visits to the dealer.
Old 07-07-2016, 09:14 PM

2012 e350 4Matic
I here you, I fortunately had $100 less a month payment with the 4 year newer model. Also I have a business (LLC) that I write off the lease on my taxes, which not everyone who has a lease can do. After reading this comment I couldn't agree with you more, in my situation I bought the extended warranty through MB before this even came to be a problem. Which I also HIGHLY recommend if you plan on keep the car. For a couple thousand you can get a great extended warranty through mbusa and tell them you will bring it back every week until it is fixed. That might get there attention. I'd have to say if and when the warranty expires I couldn't keep it past then without an mb warranty, just my 2 cents but if there is a problem it most likely won't be cheap to fix. One more question, worst case scenario, what's your states lemon law? Might possibly have a case if there is something from mb stating there was a problem at somepoint and it still hasn't been fixed without multiple visits to the dealer.
Through MBUSA and not the dealer? Would the extended warranty be cheaper through MBUSA??
Old 07-07-2016, 09:47 PM

2008 Mercedes C300
Through MBUSA and not the dealer? Would the extended warranty be cheaper through MBUSA??
I'm sorry let me clarify, it was bought from an mb dealer and not mbusa directly. I found the gentleman on the extended warranty section on this forum an beat my local dealers price by nearly $1000. His name was Jason Mayes and worked at international autos in Milwaukee. I will say that my local mb dealer told me that I couldn't buy an extended warranty from mb because I bought it from a non mb dealer but Jason said the computer said the car was eligible and had no problem selling it to me through email. Maybe I got lucky but it was the best $2k+ I ever spent (can't remember exact price) plus since I never even made it to the point of utilizing the warranty, over 4 years and over 50k miles, I was able to get a full refund for it when I traded the car in.
Old 07-08-2016, 10:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550 P2 4M Sedan
I hope you stick to it. If they find something now and repair it, same issue would be covered for 1y/12k. But if it is the wheel bearing, I would hope that is very unlikely to return. If they don't find anything and thus no repair now, I would open a case with mbusa before your warranty expire so your issue is documented with them. I would also insist the service manager notes the problem you are having in the service records. That would increase your chances of a goodwill repair on issue later on if they ever admit to it failing. Hopefully, they will identify and fix though now.
Old 07-08-2016, 01:21 PM

2012 e350 4Matic
Well, after holding onto the car this long I ended up calling to check in and they told me they just got done with it and found it was a bad wheel bearing. With their lack of diagnosis I informed them they don't want me to bring this in the 4th time. I asked them before picking the car up to ensure that the shop foreman and mechanic both drove it number of times and confirm that the noise is gone. I now wait for that confirmation. Keeping fingers crossed...
Old 07-08-2016, 01:27 PM

2012 e350 4Matic
I'm sorry let me clarify, it was bought from an mb dealer and not mbusa directly. I found the gentleman on the extended warranty section on this forum an beat my local dealers price by nearly $1000. His name was Jason Mayes and worked at international autos in Milwaukee. I will say that my local mb dealer told me that I couldn't buy an extended warranty from mb because I bought it from a non mb dealer but Jason said the computer said the car was eligible and had no problem selling it to me through email. Maybe I got lucky but it was the best $2k+ I ever spent (can't remember exact price) plus since I never even made it to the point of utilizing the warranty, over 4 years and over 50k miles, I was able to get a full refund for it when I traded the car in.
Do you have his contact info by any chance? Please PM me. Thanks
Old 07-08-2016, 01:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,185 Posts
2014 E550-sold 😩
Really ridiculous that they could not come to this conclusion earlier. You should really report the dealership and the original MB Tech personnel who turned a simple common issue into a full blown circus act for you. They owe you the value of a new set of wheels and tires at a minimum. I would be livid.
Old 07-08-2016, 01:35 PM

2012 e350 4Matic
Originally Posted by KEY08
Really ridiculous that they could not come to this conclusion earlier. You should really report the dealership and the original MB Tech personnel who turned a simple common issue into a full blown circus act for you. They owe you the value of a new set of wheels and tires at a minimum. I would be livid.
Right? I still don't trust them and don't have a single sense of relief until I drive it and confirm it. The lack of diagnosing whether wheels, tires, and dam rotors? Really? Should I speak to MBUSA about any reimbursements? I have an email out to the Regional MBUSA manager about all the issues and if resolved, I can follow up...
Old 07-08-2016, 01:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 E550-sold 😩
Where is the link

Originally Posted by polmati
I disagree with your statement. My 2010 E350 4M just hit 81K. Out of nowhere a noise developed which rises and lowers in pitch as speed increases and decreases. Dealer diagnosed as failure in the transfer case and MB says new transmission. I have been researching for a week and found issue to be very common on the C class and the other models with 4M. It may not be prevalent on the E yet but I think you will start to see more. Sun valley transmission in California has great write up on how and why the transfer case fails (pictures too). As others have stated avoid owning these cars without warranty coverage.
Hi and welcome. Got a link to this late model 4Matic transmission issue as written up by this transmission shop? I cannot find anything when I search.
Old 07-08-2016, 01:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 E550-sold 😩
Right? I still don't trust them and don't have a single sense of relief until I drive it and confirm it. The lack of diagnosing whether wheels, tires, and dam rotors? Really? Should I speak to MBUSA about any reimbursements? I have an email out to the Regional MBUSA manager about all the issues and if resolved, I can follow up...
Absolutely. Hit them with everything you have. Buying new wheels and tires, all of your running around between them and other mechanics to solve something they could have completed in half a day. MBUSA really needs to know about how badly these idiots dropped the ball. The Best or nothing. In this case you got nothing.
Old 07-08-2016, 01:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550 P2 4M Sedan
They should at least offer you a free service for your next internal. I would think a reimbursement for tires you purchased is unlikely. But push for it and see what you get.
Old 07-08-2016, 01:55 PM

2012 e350 4Matic
I just sent a follow up email with the MBUSA regional manager about the losses due to false diagnosis I have gone through. I've already spent $3,500. Pisses me off.
Old 07-08-2016, 02:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 E550-sold 😩
Show them everything. Receipts, communication, etc. Don't walk away and don't settle for an oil change and cabin filter replacement.
This is their job as "service manager" and your direct connection to Mercedes Benz. This is a real let down in service.
Old 07-08-2016, 03:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550 P2 4M Sedan
Didn't realize you were $3,500 into this. Geez.
Old 07-08-2016, 03:44 PM

2012 e350 4Matic
Well, I picked up my car and immediately drove it back to the dealership as the issue is still not resolved. The Rep, Foreman and service manager basically told me they are done with me and my vehicle and that they will no longer look at it. I told the service manager to ride with me, but he continuously told me that he will not and that he trusts his foreman. Basically, kicked me out without resolution. I'm at a dead end right now guys, absolutely shocked at the service.
Old 07-08-2016, 04:27 PM

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts
2015 E550 Coupe
Well, I picked up my car and immediately drove it back to the dealership as the issue is still not resolved. The Rep, Foreman and service manager basically told me they are done with me and my vehicle and that they will no longer look at it. I told the service manager to ride with me, but he continuously told me that he will not and that he trusts his foreman. Basically, kicked me out without resolution. I'm at a dead end right now guys, absolutely shocked at the service.
Contact MBUSA immediately and give them the names of all three dealership employees that told you to get lost. If the dealership gave you any paperwork associated with this last service, make sure to get a copy of that to MBUSA. Keep the originals of ALL paperwork should you have to go the legal route. Then demand MBUSA get back to you within 48 hours with a detailed action to plan to either correct the problem or replace the vehicle. Tell them you will no longer accept the endless runaround of wasting your time and money with the obviously incompetent dealership.
Old 07-08-2016, 06:22 PM

2012 e350 4Matic
Thanks guys, there will be a long road ahead as I am not taking this lightly. I'll update you all once an outcome has been made.

I appreciate everyone sticking with me. This place is truly like family.
Old 07-08-2016, 08:15 PM

2008 Mercedes C300
Originally Posted by PaulE550
Contact MBUSA immediately and give them the names of all three dealership employees that told you to get lost. If the dealership gave you any paperwork associated with this last service, make sure to get a copy of that to MBUSA. Keep the originals of ALL paperwork should you have to go the legal route. Then demand MBUSA get back to you within 48 hours with a detailed action to plan to either correct the problem or replace the vehicle. Tell them you will no longer accept the endless runaround of wasting your time and money with the obviously incompetent dealership.
Ditto! This is getting just as rediculous as my situation, one dealer I brought my car to did the same thing. I fortunetely was able to just move on to another. But enough is enough, it's time for a solution to your problem. My next step, which might be a little overboard but it's time to start the dealer bashing, find sites to review this dealer like dealerator.com, Yelp etc. also if you have a local news outlet that does stories on horrible customer service, fraud, and stuff like that go that route. That WILL get the dealers attention. Have you talked to the GM or the owner of the dealership? I've reached out my local dealers GM recently about a problem I was having and they then bent over backwards for me. I also didn't know you were $3500 in the hole on this either, I would be more then livid as I was $0 in the whole and got what I considered "fair" in the end. I'll pm you the extended warranty info.

Last edited by jdawg21; 07-08-2016 at 08:18 PM.
Old 07-08-2016, 10:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
2010 E350 4M
Originally Posted by KEY08
Hi and welcome. Got a link to this late model 4Matic transmission issue as written up by this transmission shop? I cannot find anything when I search.
http://robisonservice.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2014-11-10T10:14:00-05:00&max-results=7&start=26&by-date=false

www.mercedesdismantlers.com/722.964%20power%20take%20off%20repair.htm

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: w212 2012 e350 4Matic Road Noise 60+ MPH