Factory or aftermarket windshield???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-05-2018, 10:13 AM

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
2012 E350 sedan
Had mine done recently

Originally Posted by PeaceMan
Unfortunately, a rock hit my windshield at some point in the day on New Year's Eve, I didn't even notice the crack right away since it was towards the bottom passenger side just to the right of where my radar detector is mounted. In fact, it was after my radar activated when I noticed a 4-5 in crack (another 3-4" going down towards the hood but not viewable from the inside). I went ahead and filed a claim with my insurance company and right away they recommended me to Safelite and other similar alternatives. After reading all the posts on here, I replied that I would only feel comfortable going with MB doing the install with OEM. Her reply was that I would have to pay out of pocket and then file for reimbursement. Which I am fine with, I will just need to call them back to confirm HOW MUCH will I be reimbursed. The good thing is I don't have a deductible on the glass repair.

I had to drop off my vehicle today for another issue with tears in my drivers seat. So I went ahead and requested a quote on the windshield replacement. I'll post an update on what they provide. At the end of the day, I just don't want to deal with any "potential" issues with non OEM glass, the lane assist /rain sensor connectivity, improper sealing or what have you. And yes I know Safelite and the others guarantee their work, but local reviews on these companies were mediocre at best. I'll just take my chances that MB gets this done the right way and hold them accountable.
Dealer wanted $1000+ above the insurance payment to replace the windshield. Safelite (which I have used many times over the years) wanted about $150 extra for installed OEM glass that has the MB logo.
Old 01-05-2018, 10:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,380 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
It is always worth shopping around. Few phone calls don't cost much.
I had W210 windshield replaced on my driveway for $199. It was Pilkington brand glass and really good one with rain sensor option.
Then years ago I bought "cheap Mercedes" and that one come with aftermarket glass that had distortion.
Could not really point it but after some driving with eyes on certain level my eyes would get tired. Lowering the seat was a solution, but not the best.
So if you order aftermarket glass, check it at different angles for distortions.
Old 01-05-2018, 07:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 838 Likes on 607 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Originally Posted by VegasE
Dealer wanted $1000+ above the insurance payment to replace the windshield. Safelite (which I have used many times over the years) wanted about $150 extra for installed OEM glass that has the MB logo.
I lost two windshields last year. The second one was the one replaced by the dealer and it lasted only about 3 weeks. Very small rock hit on highway. The original windshield lasted for 4 years with lots of similar rock hits not cracking until the big one came and it was done.. I think replacement windshields just are not as good as what the car comes with.

Anyway, after that dealer windshield I went to Safe Lite for the second time (had one done before) and asked for after marked windshield. They told me that they will install only MB windshields as they have had so much trouble with after market glass. This is related to the rain sensor and lane keep sensor (camera).

So, SafeLite installed a new MB windshield and my insurance company told me they will pay for the lane keep calibration if needed. That is a about $150 cost done at the dealer but I did not need that. My lane keep works just fine.

The windshield I have has a small MB star logo on it. It does not have the big "Mercedes" decal, which the dealer adds if they do the job. I think it is the same glass as the OEM use.
Old 01-05-2018, 09:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 E350 4matic Sport
Originally Posted by LemonSqueezy
The insurance companies job is to put you back into a state where everything functions and performs correctly before the accident. If you're worried about seals and/or urethane from improper installation, keep in mind an oem glass can be improperly installed as well. If you run into issues with the aftermarket glass itself, your insurance company will have to fork out the cost get an OEM glass on there on their dime. So really for most people an aftermarket is fine unless theres an actual defect with glass itself. Im not even sure MB makes their own glass anyways so chances are the oem vs a/m are about the same.
Hey thanks for the reply, completely understand that there could be issues with an installation of an OEM windshield as well. And I would probably have been fine installing an A/M, but in my case my insurance company is going to cover the OEM (and I have a 0 deductible on a glass repair), so why not? Also, I did call 3 other repair shops (including Safelite) before deciding on the dealer and they were not significantly less in cost.
Old 01-06-2018, 12:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hey thanks for the reply, completely understand that there could be issues with an installation of an OEM windshield as well. And I would probably have been fine installing an A/M, but in my case my insurance company is going to cover the OEM (and I have a 0 deductible on a glass repair), so why not? Also, I did call 3 other repair shops (including Safelite) before deciding on the dealer and they were not significantly less in cost.
In my case the price for the MB dealer was actually like $50 less, which is surprising. Anyway, MB dealers do not do the windshield jobs. They have some 3rd party company doing it for them and in some cases they do it in the dealer garage but it is not MB job. The dealer stands behind the job but that is no different to what SafeLite does.

For me SafeLite is the way to go as it has been so fast getting it done. The last one took about 1 1/2 hours of total time.
Old 01-06-2018, 06:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,467 Likes on 1,148 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
Plus doesn't the dealer offer a free rental and snacks?
Old 02-11-2019, 03:09 PM

cls 550
Factory OEM is the better fit for your car

If you have lane assist, parking sensors and rain sensors. its better to shell out the price Mercedes is asking for . Those features will cause problems with the computer system that controls the sensors and might not work too well or not at all if you go with an after market and may cause you costly problems down the road. I would call around for different prices and make sure the installer is familiar with your car and if you own a Mercedes, this is to be expected. I have a 2012 CLS 550 and my insurance was only gonna pay the $500 out of the $1436 Mercedes was charging which left me with a balance of $936.00. I called around other shops who are familiar with my car and installation and was able to work with my insurance company and got a better price for a lot less. Also if your vehicle doesn't have the features I listed then maybe aftermarket may not be a bad choice.
Old 02-11-2019, 05:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 E350
Originally Posted by The G Man
Below are the 3 different type of windshields available beside the Mercedes windshield, I would use option one or two but not option three. I would not use the safelite SGC brand, the quality is one level below option 1 and 2. Unfortunately, most insurance companies try to push the owners to use the cheaper SGC brand :
  1. OEM brand without the logo (ie Mercedes windshield in the Sekurit brand made by Saint Gobain, but manufactured without the Tristar Mercedes logo). That is the only difference, but the price difference can be 100’s of dollars less. It is the same exact windshield by the same manufacturing plant just made without the Mercedes logo.
  2. OEE (Original Equipment Equivalent) brand – (an OEM windshield from a completely different manufacturer. Still OEM, but not the original manufacturer.) An example would be Pittsburgh Glass Works (PGW) or Pilkington brand windshields. These windshields would have their logos but it would still meet all the specifications of that original windshield. The benefit of a PGW or Pilkington brand is they are companies with high manufacturing output and provide windshields for large automakers like Toyota. Their OEM windshield price is typically the most competitive, all while still using all the same OEM processes, ensuring a high quality windshield.
  3. Aftermarket brand – the last option is to use an aftermarket manufacturer to supply the windshield. Most aftermarket manufacturers use a process called “reverse engineering” where they take an OEM windshield, create a mold and produce a replica. Because the quality can be compromised due to the utilization of a mold, results and fit may vary depending on manufacturer. (ie Safelite Auto Glass produces SGC brand). Safelite Auto Glass’ SGC brand is considered an aftermarket brand because they do not supply windshields at the OEM level for any manufacturer.
I priced a replacement windshield last month. The local MB dealer quoted $730 for the glass, plus labor. One of the local auto glass installers quoted $379 installed for the OEE St Gobain/Securit glass without the decal or MB logo.
Old 02-11-2019, 05:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 126 Likes on 105 Posts
2020 X7 xDrive40i, 2016 X3 sDrive28i
If available, get the glass coverage on your insurance and get OEM parts coverage as well. With thinner glass in modern cars, damaged/cracked windshields are becoming a common thing. My parents had the windshield in their XC90 cracked within a few months of purchase, They had added glass and OEM parts coverage at my recommendation. Cost them about $10 more a year in premiums. The insurance company replaced it with OEM Volvo glass (including Volvo logo), total was about $1300 done at the dealer, they paid a $75 deductible.
I've had several windshields replaced as well, always with OEM part including the MB/BMW logos, and always pay $75 deductible or less (often my agent will have a coupon to waive the deductible).

I've had OEM, OEE, and Aftermarket glass, and have to recommend you stay away from Aftermarket for the poor fit/finish and poor quality. For me it's OEM or nothing.
Old 02-11-2019, 11:35 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
E350
https://newsroom.aaa.com/2018/10/new...or-collisions/

Windshield damage is especially common, with more than 14.5 million replacements annually. Many safety systems rely on cameras positioned behind the windshield that require recalibration when the glass is replaced. In addition, some automakers require the use of factory glass that meets strict standards for optical clarity. Replacing a windshield on a vehicle equipped with a camera behind the glass typically costs approximately $1,500, which can be as much as three times the amount to replace the windshield on a car without the technology.

“It is not unusual for windshields to get chipped or cracked, especially for drivers who commute on a daily basis,” continued Nielsen. “This may be an eyesore on a regular car, but when it falls in the line of sight of a camera or the driver, it becomes a safety issue that needs immediate attention by a facility qualified to work on these systems.”

Windshields are not the only area vulnerable to damage that could result in a costly repair or replacement. Vehicles with ADAS may also have radar, camera and ultrasonic sensors located in or behind the front and rear bumpers or bodywork, as well as built into the side mirrors. While most drivers may never find themselves in a collision, these parts can easily be damaged when pulling out of a garage, hitting a mailbox or bumping into other objects.

Old 02-12-2019, 12:35 AM

Received 141 Likes on 105 Posts
2010 E550
My windshield actually cracked instantly on impact from some rock a few months ago. I had it replaced with a Pilkington brand windshield. It has functioning rain sensor and stuff. It cost me around $450-$500 to replace, parts and labor. No distortion. Seems to be fine other than having a Pilkington logo on it :B
Old 02-12-2019, 08:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,725 Likes on 1,105 Posts
2016 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by Peachy
My windshield actually cracked instantly on impact from some rock a few months ago. I had it replaced with a Pilkington brand windshield. It has functioning rain sensor and stuff. It cost me around $450-$500 to replace, parts and labor. No distortion. Seems to be fine other than having a Pilkington logo on it :B
Let's not get too **** concerning what qualifies as an OEM windshield.

My 2016 E-Class has a Sekurit brand Saint Gobain windshield. BUT, my C320 -- built in the very same Sindelfingen, Germany plant -- and bought new in 2001, had a "Pilkington" windshield. I've since replaced it with another Pilkington brand windshield, because it had the rain sensor, so remember requesting another Pilkington. This was at least 10-years ago, so I don't remember exactly. But after insurance, I paid nowhere near the amounts being quoted in this thread.

The Mercedes Decal is a $3 item at the dealer. The actual design may vary, so just match what came on the previous.

Bottom line... Mercedes gets their "OEM" windshields from several different wholesale manufacturers, just like tires and brake pads, etc. No doubt the lowest bidder...

Last edited by DFWdude; 02-12-2019 at 08:24 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Johnny Rad (10-06-2019)
Old 02-12-2019, 09:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 634 Likes on 472 Posts
2015 E400 Sedan
Dayum all this thread did is remind me I need windshield....
but I will keep on driving until crack crosses the driver vision.
Old 02-15-2019, 03:39 PM

cls 550
What year and model is your MB?
Old 02-17-2019, 09:03 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
E 350 W212
I took a rock while on the I-75 (where else?) and needed to replace the windscreen. Florida, insurance is GEICO. I had to pay $450 extra to have the OEM glass installed instead of aftermarket. I was told that there were problems with aftermarket glass and the lane cameras / rain sensor. The car was only 1 year old and I didn't want any trouble with those systems. Nevertheless the insurance company said aftermarket glass was all that they would pay for.
Old 02-19-2019, 02:26 PM

cls 550
Which insurance company are you with?
Old 02-19-2019, 03:42 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
E 350 W212
Originally Posted by eltyshaun
Which insurance company are you with?
As mentioned, GEICO.
Old 02-19-2019, 05:24 PM

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
E250 Diesel
Originally Posted by eltyshaun
If you have lane assist, parking sensors and rain sensors. its better to shell out the price Mercedes is asking for . Those features will cause problems with the computer system that controls the sensors and might not work too well or not at all if you go with an after market and may cause you costly problems down the road. I would call around for different prices and make sure the installer is familiar with your car and if you own a Mercedes, this is to be expected. I have a 2012 CLS 550 and my insurance was only gonna pay the $500 out of the $1436 Mercedes was charging which left me with a balance of $936.00. I called around other shops who are familiar with my car and installation and was able to work with my insurance company and got a better price for a lot less. Also if your vehicle doesn't have the features I listed then maybe aftermarket may not be a bad choice.
this. the rain sensing wiper function is what gives me concerns about non-factory windshield.
Old 10-06-2019, 07:57 AM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
2018 S560
Broken windshield? Hope you don't have GEICO Insurance for military. Every year I pay for a $200 comprehensive deductible on my 2014 E-550 which includes windshield replacement. So when the windshield was smashed at 70 mph from whatever for some crazy reason I thought my deductible for a new OEM windshield would be 200 bucks. OH how wrong I was. Mercedes replacement quoted me $1,648.46, Safelite quoted me $1,600.

That talking little green thing from GEICO let me know if I wanted the OEM glass replacement my out of pocket cost would be $ 963.46. Geico pays $885. for the Fuyao glass installed by Safelite. Here come the real rub............if Safelite cannot calibrate the Fuyao for the lane assist, (front collision warning whatever thing) and rain sensors they cannot send it to Mercedes Benz because even they WILL NOT attempt to calibrate the devices. What does this mean you ask? Well it means you have to go back to GEICO and fight with them to pay for what should have been dome in the first place ........replace with a OEM windshield. As usual the customer gets screwed blue and tattooed by GEICO Insurance. I guess my time isn't worth a nickel.
Old 10-07-2019, 09:50 AM

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
S212
Just scheduled and appointment to Safelite on wednesday, to get mine replaced. Will let you guy know how it went in a couple of days.
Old 10-07-2019, 10:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I am with Geico and just lowered deductible on my comprehensive as my windshield has couple of cracks. The policy clearly says it covers windshields.
Will wait a month or 2 before making a claim, so will let you know as well.
Old 10-07-2019, 01:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Aktash
Just scheduled and appointment to Safelite on wednesday, to get mine replaced. Will let you guy know how it went in a couple of days.
I have the 5th windshield on right now. One change was done at the dealer, rest by SafeLite.

Every time a Mercedes glass was used. At MB they added the “Mercedes” sticker on the glass. SafeLite did not but the windshield has a small Mercedes star at the corner.

As I was going thru windshields quite frequently at one time I asked SafeLite if they could use something else than MB glass and they would not because of the sensors for the rain sensor and the camera.

Price from them and the dealer were within $50 and last time it was actually quoted cheaper by MB but I went with SafeLite as they do it very quickly.

The cost has been $950 - 1050 so it amazes me how I see so much higher prices in this thread.

My comprehensive deductible is $250 and that is what I paid at each glass replacement and my insurance Liberty does not ask me pay more regardless who does the job.
Old 10-07-2019, 01:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 126 Likes on 105 Posts
2020 X7 xDrive40i, 2016 X3 sDrive28i
Check with your insurance to see if they have an add on that covers glass. My insurance company (Farmers) has an add on called "Glass Deductible Buyback" that will cover all glass for a $75 deductible. The cost to add it was about $10/year. I also have an add on for OEM parts so they will always use original Mercedes parts for any repairs including glass. This is also about another $10 or so a year.
I've had to use the glass coverage a few times, each time they would send either acme or safelite glass to my home with an original part (they gave me option of taking it to the local dealer, but the dealers said they also just call acme/safelite to come to their shop to do the work so it's no different).
Each time I've had to use it, my local insurance agent gave me a coupon code that waived the $75 deductible so I paid $0 out of pocket.

I had my father change his insurance to Farmers and add the same add on's, he had to replace the windshield on his brand new Volvo XC90 a month after he got it. Farmers paid for 100%(minus the $75 deductible) of it and had the work done at the volvo dealer (to align the auto brake sensors) with original parts. Total was over $1,600.
Old 10-07-2019, 02:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

THAT'S STILL CHEAP.
I used to have BMW 750 from early 1990's.
The windshield had heating strip and radio antenna in it.
About 15 years ago I had it replaced and estimates were in $2600. At the time independent glass shops would advertise "no deductible" job.
So with my $500 deductible, they billed insurance $2600, got $2100 and eat the $500.
Old 10-07-2019, 03:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by kajtek1
THAT'S STILL CHEAP.
I used to have BMW 750 from early 1990's.
The windshield had heating strip and radio antenna in it.
About 15 years ago I had it replaced and estimates were in $2600. At the time independent glass shops would advertise "no deductible" job.
So with my $500 deductible, they billed insurance $2600, got $2100 and eat the $500.
My windshield also has heating at the black bottom area to melt ice from wiper blades but no whole glass heating like I have seen on some cars in Europe.

My radio antenna is on the rear glass.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Factory or aftermarket windshield???