E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Sport mode & paddle shifter- use them?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-10-2016, 08:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 E300 Sedan 4matic
I just used the S mode in my '14 E300 just yesterday for the very first time when taking off from a red light. I must say, I could quickly tell the difference but I turned it back to E mode in less that 2 minutes. Definitely could see how S mode can and does chew up your gas. But am more nervous about using the peddle shifter. Am really not sure how it actually works so for now, I'll just stay in E mode...it works for me. ✌
Old 09-12-2016, 05:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 E350
I tried it a few times and did not like how it behaves; hence seldom use it. The transmission switches back to "auto" if you leave the it for a while after paddle shifted. My expectation was it would stay as "manual" mode once you started to paddle shift the gear.
Old 09-13-2016, 09:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 121 Likes on 95 Posts
2015 GL550 4matic
Originally Posted by drcookie
I tried it a few times and did not like how it behaves; hence seldom use it. The transmission switches back to "auto" if you leave the it for a while after paddle shifted. My expectation was it would stay as "manual" mode once you started to paddle shift the gear.

Seems like you're not using it right. Down-shifts are automatic, unless you tell it to shift to a lower gear. Think of the number you see on the dash like "max gear" If you leave it in 5, that is the highest gear it will use, but will down-shift automatically when you stop, then up-shift automatically until it reaches 5th gear. Useful for city driving when you don't want to let it go into the overdrive gears between lights. If you up-shift past 7, then it goes back into fully auto mode, also if you hold the up-shift paddle for a few seconds. If you don't continue to shift consistently, then it probably goes into some protection mode, back to auto. I find the control simply by pedal force in automaitc mode is excellent once you feel it out. The "max gear" is useful for steep grades or city driving as I said. Hold the down-shift paddle to select the best gear when you want to stomp on it and pass someone quickly.
Old 09-13-2016, 09:40 PM

Received 62 Likes on 45 Posts
2014 E350
Originally Posted by tomse350
Hi,
I use the paddles all the time to down shift on long down hill runs, I would rather use the engine to slow down and save the brakes.

We're talking about a sedan, right, not a 12k-lb truck?
Brakes are a heck of a lot cheaper than engine or trans work ...just sayin. Ask any who track: use the trans to be in the right gear/rev range to accelerate. The brakes are for, er, slowing down.

The paddles in our cars are, IMHO, flat-out silly boy-racer stuff. Put it in Sport mode for higher shift points and more responsive throttle response, and kick down a gear/two for an on ramp by hitting the gas. Simple. Better yet, effective.

I'm not opposed to good paddle shifters at all, good shifters. I love our E350, but the paddles are nothing more than a gee-whiz novelty that offers the utility of chrome spinners. But like so many things, YMMV.

Edward

Last edited by Edward993; 09-13-2016 at 09:43 PM.
Old 09-14-2016, 02:27 AM

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts
2014 E550 4MATIC TUNED - Turbo Upgraded Stage 3
Originally Posted by jonUF02
Seems like you're not using it right. Down-shifts are automatic, unless you tell it to shift to a lower gear. Think of the number you see on the dash like "max gear" If you leave it in 5, that is the highest gear it will use, but will down-shift automatically when you stop, then up-shift automatically until it reaches 5th gear. Useful for city driving when you don't want to let it go into the overdrive gears between lights. If you up-shift past 7, then it goes back into fully auto mode, also if you hold the up-shift paddle for a few seconds. If you don't continue to shift consistently, then it probably goes into some protection mode, back to auto. I find the control simply by pedal force in automaitc mode is excellent once you feel it out. The "max gear" is useful for steep grades or city driving as I said. Hold the down-shift paddle to select the best gear when you want to stomp on it and pass someone quickly.
I think he is referring to user manual page 175
There is no M mode after pushing paddles in 2014 E series.
It will switch back to automatic in a short period of time, if no paddles are pushed.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
2014_E_Sedan_Wagon.pdf (52.7 KB, 88 views)

Last edited by cocobeex; 09-14-2016 at 02:31 AM.
Old 09-18-2016, 07:01 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
14 E350; 12 Camaro; 07 Range Rocer; 06 Dodge Ram
The use of engine/transmission downshift braking is for older vehicles or trucks with heavy loads. The only time I need to downshift on my manual Camaro is when the engine RPM does not match with vehicle speed. These newer cars (manual and auto) have good brakes and ABS to assist stopping.