MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W212) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212-109/)
-   -   Sport mode & paddle shifter- use them? (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212/637383-sport-mode-paddle-shifter-use-them.html)

Zavato 09-07-2016 02:52 AM

Sport mode & paddle shifter- use them?

I've got a 2012 E350. I find I can count on one hand how many times, per month, I use either the paddle shifter or put the car in sport mode. 99 plus % of the time, I'm in drive and on my merry way.

What's been your experience?

MBATF 09-07-2016 03:36 AM

I am a Reator which have many ups and down while out on the road everyday. I occasionally give myslef a quick fix by putting my 14 E550 into sport mode just to wake myself up. But i will switch back to Eco once seeing the gas needle started moving downward faster than I like :p

i have been using it almost once a day for the last 20-30 days

blegthbloo 09-07-2016 08:09 AM

I use sport mode all the time when I'm trying to pass or if I'm first at a light :D ...but the paddle shifters I barely use, maybe once or twice a year. But like MBATF, it serves to wake me up if I'm getting a bit too comfortable in my seat. I just upgraded to the UPD intake kit, so I may start using sport mode less (unlikely, though lol).

SEC1939 09-07-2016 08:10 AM

I'd rather have my headlight washers than these. I'd use them more

fosterelli 09-07-2016 08:15 AM

As soon as I start the car I always turn off ECO and select S mode. I prefer the shift points and peppy behavior of the S mode vs the E mode.

Now for the paddles, rarely, just for fun once every so often, for like a minute...because they're not very useful to me...and I forget they're even there!

Youngd 09-07-2016 08:28 AM

I use the paddle shifters when driving at slow speed around town and in my neighborhood to keep my car from up shifting beyond "4". Just makes the car a little more responsive. Truth be told, I have a device called "Smartride" installed in the diagnostic port. It measures my driving habits for insurance purposes which results in a pretty deep discount if I behave. I have to keep the device in my car for a set period of time for the final discount to be calculated, but the savings on insurance is very much worth it. After the device is removed, all bets are off! Paddles back in action!

KEY08 09-07-2016 08:53 AM

I always wondered how those nanny insurance devices worked, or in this case don't work.
I use the paddles all the time. Shift down to pass or on entry/exit ramps.

CarolinaBluetec 09-07-2016 09:19 AM

Never use either one.

thefisch 09-07-2016 09:47 AM

Probably less than two hands in my case. Mostly used for on ramps, passing or first at a light. But most of the time I forget and just cruise along.

MBSebas87 09-07-2016 10:38 AM

My car is always in S mode but rarely use the paddle shifters.

teksurv 09-07-2016 10:56 AM

My routine as well.

Originally Posted by fosterelli (Post 6909418)
As soon as I start the car I always turn off ECO and select S mode. I prefer the shift points and peppy behavior of the S mode vs the E mode.

Now for the paddles, rarely, just for fun once every so often, for like a minute...because they're not very useful to me...and I forget they're even there!

jahquan3 09-07-2016 11:45 AM

I use sport probably once a week mainly when someone is irking me or if I come to a light and someone seems to want to go in a comparable car.
The paddles I only use like once a month just to make sure they're still working.
To add an additional option I use frequently is my Sport suspension. I use that all the time and only switch to comfort in cities with crappy roads or when my family is in the car with me to make the ride more comfy for them.

pamiboy 09-07-2016 01:22 PM

I use the paddles whenever I want to show them off to friends and family who are visiting..... :D. Otherwise I don't have time for that.

SteveE400 09-07-2016 01:46 PM

Paddles? Not really. . .

"Sport" mode - every single day, at least several times. I have a few areas on my route home that are tighter traffic, and I use 'S' to be able to jump into the openings when they appear. You snooze, you lose!

Salacak 09-07-2016 06:00 PM

Love paddle shifter

Originally Posted by Zavato (Post 6909340)
I've got a 2012 E350. I find I can count on one hand how many times, per month, I use either the paddle shifter or put the car in sport mode. 99 plus % of the time, I'm in drive and on my merry way.

I'm on S mode as soon as i start the car not because i like the way S mode changes the gear/ratio but also I think C mode skips the first gear and start moving on a second gear (which doesn't make any sense at all to me, i think about it, when i was driving stick shift skipping first gear puts too much pressure on a gear system and this causes many problems in transmission system and also believe MB woke up and canceled that nonsense later models)
I might be wrong on that years and models thing.
Also i drive with paddle shifter all the time too, i like it a lot, especially way new cars computerized; these transmissions at the light after moving forward before you passed intersection you are in a fourth or fifth gear that is a horrible driving experience. Now it's all about low RPM in any cause and that kills the fun driving.
Like i said i can't have these cars if paddle shifter is not available.

dbldpr 09-08-2016 04:37 AM

I have never used them. Have no idea how it works. Car is fast enough for me without them

beanr 09-08-2016 07:59 AM

Usually only when goofing off, irritates the wife. However I did use S mode on the way into work this morning in anger.

ElisTwoCents 09-08-2016 11:38 PM

Nope n the paddles and every few days for the Sport

Peachy 09-09-2016 01:28 AM

I pretty much never use my paddle shifters, but I want to one day, just haven't had the opportunity really. Sport mode seems to be enough.

pamiboy 09-09-2016 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by beanr (Post 6910393)
Usually only when goofing off, irritates the wife. However I did use S mode on the way into work this morning in anger.

Ha ha. That's what it is for.

El Cid 09-09-2016 02:24 PM

Never

Originally Posted by Zavato (Post 6909340)

Tried both the first few months when on back roads. Didn't really see any advantage to either.

jonUF02 09-09-2016 03:15 PM

Sport mode - rarely when I have an opportunity for a drive without much traffic in the way

Paddles - almost never.

but... my regular commute is only 8 total miles daily of city streets full of stop lights.

The best thing I found about the shifters is when you hold the down-shift paddle for a couple seconds it immediately puts you into "passing" gear with the most torque for your current speed. It helps if I'm ever annoyed with slow people on the freeway and want to jump a gap. Trying to keep track of 7 gears with the paddles can be tedious for my brain.

markgm 09-09-2016 04:39 PM

If the paddles were remotely responsive I'd probably use them more often. As they are now they're just something to add to a checklist of features the car has.

Motivology 09-09-2016 10:53 PM

I use the paddle shifters every now and then - mainly if I need to get around somebody or entering/exiting highways.

tomse350 09-10-2016 07:27 AM

Hi,
I use the paddles all the time to down shift on long down hill runs, I would rather use the engine to slow down and save the brakes.