E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Help with purchasing CPO 2013 e350

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-22-2016, 09:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
c300
Originally Posted by cetialpha5
You should read some reviews on both. 2014 was the facelift and had a bunch of changes. Some don't like the eco start/stop which stops the engine when you're at a light, can't be permanently shut off, you have to hit the button every time you start the car. They also went to LED so the bixenons with the headlamp washers are gone. A loaded 2013 with bixenons and keyless go is probably better than a base 2014, but maybe you can find a loaded 2014. Use this vin decoder to find out what options the car really has. Half the time the dealers are quoting stupid things like power seats and garage door opener which they all have.

http://www.vindecoderz.com/EN/Mercedes-Benz
Sorry for the misunderstanding as I found a YouTube video to clarify. I wouldn't mind purchasing a 2014 CPO e350 if it's around the same ball park as a 2013 e350.

http://youtu.be/DydV4R4BhyQ

Last edited by ocpun; 09-23-2016 at 02:13 AM.
Old 09-22-2016, 10:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,466 Likes on 1,147 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
No, the first time you start the car for the day, you can disable the function by hitting the eco button. Otherwise every time you come to a light, it will automatically shut off and then restart when you hit the gas. Once you've disabled it, it won't shut off the engine when you come to a light so there's no hitting the button every time. Once you shut the car off, it is automatically re-enabled so you have to hit the button again.
Old 09-22-2016, 10:06 PM

c300
Originally Posted by JALLEN4
I will give you some "about" numbers. Mercedes will sell the dealer the car around a price they think it will bring at auction. They will try to save the expense of handling. The dealer will likely pay $22,000-23,000 for the car. If it does not need tires, they will spend around a $1,000 for recon and around $1,500 for the certification. They are going to be looking at somewhere around a $3,000 profit.

The car should be purchased somewhere between $27,500-29,000 certified. That is a better price than paying $25,000 for a non-certified unit from a non-Mercedes dealer or buying a random car from an auction and taking a chance it is alright.
That sounds a lot more reasonable than what my salesman told me about MB Financial not being able to take a $7000 or more hit on the car. What he told me didn't make sense at all. Am I allowed to ask and see what the dealer paid MB Financial for the car and all the recondition it needed? Also does it help to let my salesman know in advance what i want to pay OTD so his general manager can make a better offer to MB Financial? Any advice on what i should say to my salesman?

Last edited by ocpun; 09-22-2016 at 10:09 PM.
Old 09-23-2016, 08:37 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
14 E350 4matic sport
Originally Posted by ocpun
That sounds a lot more reasonable than what my salesman told me about MB Financial not being able to take a $7000 or more hit on the car. What he told me didn't make sense at all. Am I allowed to ask and see what the dealer paid MB Financial for the car and all the recondition it needed? Also does it help to let my salesman know in advance what i want to pay OTD so his general manager can make a better offer to MB Financial? Any advice on what i should say to my salesman?
Some advice, give up on your neighbors car. Too many variables and your too hung up on a car that you can find elsewhere. 3 year old CPO E350's are all going to be in top shape. If your neighbor had 1 2006 with 32,000 miles then I get it.

My approach would be to tell the dealer I like that car, I'd buy it for the right price but I'm shopping other dealers for a like 2013 or even 2014.

It is all about leverage and at the end of the day even Mercedes dealers will move on price to be competitive. Shop dealer against dealer. You seem to know what a good deal would be so be prepared to pull the trigger if you can get to your number.

I was in the business. When you have a customer in front of you and you know they are willing to make a deal then you move your numbers to make a deal (if it's possible). Conversely, you know when you have the customer kicking tires who you could offer the car to for $5000 under your cost and they still aren't buying, these people do not see the best numbers.

I
The following users liked this post:
ocpun (09-23-2016)
Old 09-23-2016, 11:36 AM

Received 79 Likes on 50 Posts
2016 E350 2015 ML250 2002 Z06 CORVETTE
I would ask to speak to the Used Car Manager. The salesman is just guessing and is outside his realm of expertise. Ultimately you should be able to purchase that vehicle for roughly the same price they could sell you one they already have. They don't really make an offer to Mercedes but basically are offered the car for what Mercedes is getting for the hundreds of others they are dealing with. Contrary to others opinions, from experience I can assure you that you are always better off with a car you know if it has been cared for.

It is not your business what they pay for the car and you won't get a straight answer anyway. As far as recon., you will be able to tell what they do. It is far more important to get the "right" car than to save the last hundred bucks. Amateurs don't always believe that and somehow think it is a blood sport.
ocpun (09-23-2016)
Old 09-23-2016, 01:37 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
14 E350 4matic sport
Contrary to others opinions, from experience I can assure you that you are always better off with a car you know if it has been cared for.
Can't dispute this statement at all. Definitely value but how much? As I said, significant with an older car, not so much with a newer car backed by a CPO warranty that's still under new car warranty.

How much extra would you pay for the neighbor's 2013 sitting next to an identical 2013 with an unknown owner?
Old 09-23-2016, 03:18 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
14 E350; 12 Camaro; 07 Range Rocer; 06 Dodge Ram
The residual value was an estimated $$$ number MB think the vehicle would be. When the current market value is lower than the residual value. MB may adjust the price with the original owner, but not you. If I were you, offer your neighbor some incentive to negotiate with the dealer for lowest buy out price.
I suggest to discuss you buyout with another salesman, your crooked salesman just want to make as much sale commission he can.
No one is taking a lost.
ocpun (09-23-2016)
Old 09-23-2016, 04:36 PM

c300
Originally Posted by jylee
The residual value was an estimated $$$ number MB think the vehicle would be. When the current market value is lower than the residual value. MB may adjust the price with the original owner, but not you. If I were you, offer your neighbor some incentive to negotiate with the dealer for lowest buy out price.
I suggest to discuss you buyout with another salesman, your crooked salesman just want to make as much sale commission he can.
No one is taking a lost.
Now its making sense lol. When you're referring to MB, do you mean the dealership or MB Financial? MB Financial owns the car right? I'm definitely considering another salesman as i feel this guy is a douche bag especially after saying "you're a smart guy and you know MB can't take a $7000 hit." He's a young guy btw.

What do you think i should pay OTD for my neighbors 2013 e350 CPO.
Old 09-23-2016, 04:54 PM

c300
I would ask to speak to the Used Car Manager. The salesman is just guessing and is outside his realm of expertise. Ultimately you should be able to purchase that vehicle for roughly the same price they could sell you one they already have. They don't really make an offer to Mercedes but basically are offered the car for what Mercedes is getting for the hundreds of others they are dealing with. Contrary to others opinions, from experience I can assure you that you are always better off with a car you know if it has been cared for.

It is not your business what they pay for the car and you won't get a straight answer anyway. As far as recon., you will be able to tell what they do. It is far more important to get the "right" car than to save the last hundred bucks. Amateurs don't always believe that and somehow think it is a blood sport.
What should i ask the Used Car manager? Yeah it didn't make sense to me what my crooked salesman said "you're a smart guy and you know MB can't take a $7000 hit." He was basically saying after CPO verification, the car will be about $35000 when current market value for 2013 e350 CPO is $27,500-$29000. No one is going to buy that car for $35000 and it will just sit on the lot. That doesn't make sense as well lol.
Old 09-23-2016, 05:00 PM

c300
Just wanted to thank each and everyone one of you that shared your knowledge and input to help me make a better judgement and price on my vehicle! As stated a few previous posts ago someone mentioned the vehicle should be purchased around $27,500-$29000 CPO. What do you guys think I should be purchasing the car for? I'm well aware that the dealership has to make some money on the vehicle and I'm completely fine with that, as this is business. I'm also fine with paying a little extra for a CPO vehicle and i understand it will be a little more compared to buying it from a private party or individual. Also prices are negotiable off sticker/listed prices on CPO vehicles right? How much can you usually get off of it for a 2013/2014 e350 CPO? If i can't get my neighbors car for a good price, I've already considered looking at 2014 e350 CPO since they're basically the same price and there are plenty of them.

If anyone knows a fair salesman in the Fletcher Jones of MB in Newport Beach, CA, please let me know!

Last edited by ocpun; 09-23-2016 at 05:05 PM.
Old 09-24-2016, 08:27 AM

What should i ask the Used Car manager? Yeah it didn't make sense to me what my crooked salesman said "you're a smart guy and you know MB can't take a $7000 hit." He was basically saying after CPO verification, the car will be about $35000 when current market value for 2013 e350 CPO is $27,500-$29000. No one is going to buy that car for $35000 and it will just sit on the lot. That doesn't make sense as well lol.
I really don't see the salesman being a crook. I think he was simply trying to keep you in the realm of reasonable expectations and buying the vehicle certified for $25,000 was not there. Just sit down with the people involved and tell them what you are trying to accomplish. You want to buy your neighbors car certified for a reasonable price which would be close to the other 2013's they have on the lot. If they can't accommodate that, simply move on.
Old 10-24-2016, 03:42 PM

c300
great news everybody! I went into the dealership yesterday to check out the car and we initially offered 25k but the salesman said he's not even going to bother asking his manager. So based on my knowledge and feedback from you guys that 25k was purchased from a non MB dealer/private party, I offered 26k and he still said no. Again based on a feedback from one of you guys that stated the car should be bought between 27500-29000, i offered 27k and that was my final offer. Sales guy says manager said no so we left and as we were leaving he said wait let me tell my manager you guys are leaving. We ended up just leaving and not waiting lol. The manager calls us back and spoke w us personally. He wanted 31k as the sticker price on the car was 34k. We said no and he asked me if i believed in kelly blue book value? i said sure i guess as i knew this was some sales gimmick again. He proceeded and KBB ended up showing 27k-29k lol. He quickly tried to change the subject but i said hey it shows 27k! He said yes but it should be 29k since this is a certified platinum car which means they inspected the car 3 times with 3 MB technicians instead of 1 which is the norm. I told him you're right but i came in today willing to negotiate a deal hoping you guys would give me a good deal since my parents just bought two brand new benz recently. We still came into a disagreement and as i was walking out the manager was like "Just asking but if i were to sell you the car right now for 27500, would you take it?" i said no because i knew they were just trying to see how high i was willing to pay for the car and i wanted to let them know i have my foot down at 27k. The manager just called me back today which is literally the next day and left me a voicemail saying he has some very good news and to please call him back.

So what do you guys think? Is 27k a good deal? It's 1.99% for 36 months and includes 2 year prepaid maintenance.

Last edited by ocpun; 10-24-2016 at 03:45 PM.
Old 10-24-2016, 03:52 PM

great news everybody! I went into the dealership yesterday to check out the car and we initially offered 25k but the salesman said he's not even going to bother asking his manager. So based on my knowledge and feedback from you guys that 25k was purchased from a non MB dealer/private party, I offered 26k and he still said no. Again based on a feedback from one of you guys that stated the car should be bought between 27500-29000, i offered 27k and that was my final offer. Sales guy says manager said no so we left and as we were leaving he said wait let me tell my manager you guys are leaving. We ended up just leaving and not waiting lol. The manager calls us back and spoke w us personally. He wanted 31k as the sticker price on the car was 34k. We said no and he asked me if i believed in kelly blue book value? i said sure i guess as i knew this was some sales gimmick again. He proceeded and KBB ended up showing 27k-29k lol. He quickly tried to change the subject but i said hey it shows 27k! He said yes but it should be 29k since this is a certified platinum car which means they inspected the car 3 times with 3 MB technicians instead of 1 which is the norm. I told him you're right but i came in today willing to negotiate a deal hoping you guys would give me a good deal since my parents just bought two brand new benz recently. We still came into a disagreement and as i was walking out the manager was like "Just asking but if i were to sell you the car right now for 27500, would you take it?" i said no because i knew they were just trying to see how high i was willing to pay for the car and i wanted to let them know i have my foot down at 27k. The manager just called me back today which is literally the next day and left me a voicemail saying he has some very good news and to please call him back.

So what do you guys think? Is 27k a good deal? It's 1.99% for 36 months and includes 2 year prepaid maintenance.
It is a great deal unless someone here wants to sell you one cheaper with all the same terms. Which, is not going to happen!
ocpun (10-24-2016)
Old 10-24-2016, 04:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I like to use Nadaguide which can be better than KBB. Lots of insurance companies and registry of motor vehicles use it also. Anyway, it's not a bad price, but you also see 2014's going for between $28-$35k depending on mileage and options and it's not considered a great deal. Anyway if you really want it, hold firm and wait a few more days. They usually have numbers they want to meet at the end of the month so it should get better by Friday or Monday.
ocpun (10-24-2016)
Old 10-24-2016, 04:36 PM

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
2013 E550 Sedan
If you like the car buy it. Just be aware that the prices will continue to drop as the car ages. I recently bought a E350 CPO. I really liked the car, but wished that I held out for a E550. Fast forward less than 8 months later I'm about a week away from getting what I wanted in the 1st place. I figure that my hasty decision making will cost me about 10K.
ocpun (10-24-2016)
Old 10-24-2016, 04:42 PM

c300
It is a great deal unless someone here wants to sell you one cheaper with all the same terms. Which, is not going to happen!
Thank you so much for the great feedback throughout this whole process Jallen! Everything you've mentioned and said I've took into great consideration. BTW how did you know how much the dealership was going to purchase the car for from MB financial (22k-23k)? Also would you mind looking at what the dealership had to do to recondition the vehicle to make it Certified Platinum?

Last edited by ocpun; 10-24-2016 at 04:59 PM.
Old 10-24-2016, 04:51 PM

c300
Originally Posted by davidjohnbamber
If you like the car buy it. Just be aware that the prices will continue to drop as the car ages. I recently bought a E350 CPO. I really liked the car, but wished that I held out for a E550. Fast forward less than 8 months later I'm about a week away from getting what I wanted in the 1st place. I figure that my hasty decision making will cost me about 10K.
I do like the car and i'm sure i do not want an E550 lol but I do plan to sell the car in 2-3 years. I want to get a tesla model 3 but the wait is going to take forever to get my hands on one and i really need a new car right now.
Old 10-24-2016, 05:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 384 Likes on 314 Posts
2011 E550 P2 4M Sedan
OP, congrats on finding a good deal. Much better than the residual on that lease. It pays to shop.

For price comparison, you could also check online sites for local CPO cars. But this sounds like a good deal on a 2014. Do you have a link to the car so we can get a preview?

Oh, and all that stuff about 3 tech certifying the car adding to their cost is just more sales BS. Good on you for calling their bluff and getting them to come down to your price.
ocpun (10-24-2016)
Old 10-24-2016, 05:19 PM

c300
Originally Posted by thefisch
OP, congrats on finding a good deal. Much better than the residual on that lease. It pays to shop.

For price comparison, you could also check online sites for local CPO cars. But this sounds like a good deal on a 2014. Do you have a link to the car so we can get a preview?

Oh, and all that stuff about 3 tech certifying the car adding to their cost is just more sales BS. Good on you for calling their bluff and getting them to come down to your price.
Honestly, it was thanks to everyone that gave me feedback to help me make an educated offer. Again, thank you everyone!

https://www.fjmercedes.com/inventory...hf5kb1da767164

Last edited by ocpun; 10-24-2016 at 05:25 PM.
Old 10-24-2016, 05:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 384 Likes on 314 Posts
2011 E550 P2 4M Sedan
Looks great. Love the silver with pano. Interior black with burl is nice too.
Old 10-24-2016, 07:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2002 W210 2WD Wagon, 2011 F150, Mazda 6, Miata 10th AE, 94 MR2 Turbo, Beechcraft A36
Great car at a good price. Like the color combination, sport package and AMG wheels.

A consideration worth asking for is a transmission fluid change.

My Mercedes CPO with 40,300 miles did NOT get it as part of the service, even though the car was >40K and CPO. When we got around to pulling the pan at just under 42,000 miles this weekend we observed the fluid was dirty and a little dirty film was starting to form.

The transmission's internal sensors getting dirty seems to be the cause of some relatively minor repairs at ~80,000 to 110,000 miles. Overall the transmission is a bit higher stressed and sensitive than the 722.6 in the earlier E Class cars.

The local dealer wanted $750 for dropping the transmission pan, filter & refill. The local independent shops are $300 to $350 in Atlanta. If you do it yourself you will spend about $200 the first time, if you need a way to gauge the temperature and a pump. On the 2013's we can't get to the drain plug on the torque converter anyway, so it really is just a pan drop, pop the filter in, refill, check temperature, refill again, make sure everything is torqued; back on the road in under an hour.

IMHO the used market is just getting into some age with the 722.9. It is a very cool box and works well. But I think these folks who are waiting for 50,000 - 70,000 miles or more may be asking for a repair consisting of pulling and cleaning the valve body.

Last edited by Proflig8tor; 10-24-2016 at 08:02 PM.
Old 10-24-2016, 08:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I would have held out for Bixenons and parktronic, but at least it has keyless go. Use a VIN decoder like this one to see what options it has:

http://www.vindecoderz.com/EN/check-...HF5KB1DA767164

Also I don't see the keyless go button, make sure you get that from the dealer, otherwise it's $15-$20 on eBay and I think around $40 or so from the dealer.

I think the best thing about an MB is the options you can get on them, the pricing doesn't seem to be too affected whether it has them or not when they're used, but when they were new, it could easily be another 5-10k. That's probably why most of them are base models and just have a couple options like this one which is basically the pano roof, sport steering wheel and keyless go. It's missing folding rear seats, power trunk closer, real leather, parktronic, bixenons with headlamp washers/high beam assist, driver assistance package which is distronic, blind spot and lane tracking, dynamic seats etc. Other options like the rear entertainment, side blinds, night view assist, heated steering wheel aren't that common.

Also ask to see if they will update the navigation so that it's the current year. Not sure how much that costs these days, used to be $250 for the DVD, but it's more if the dealer does it. You should get 2 keys with it.
Old 10-24-2016, 08:48 PM

c300
Originally Posted by cetialpha5
I would have held out for Bixenons and parktronic, but at least it has keyless go. Use a VIN decoder like this one to see what options it has:

http://www.vindecoderz.com/EN/check-...HF5KB1DA767164

Also I don't see the keyless go button, make sure you get that from the dealer, otherwise it's $15-$20 on eBay and I think around $40 or so from the dealer.

I think the best thing about an MB is the options you can get on them, the pricing doesn't seem to be too affected whether it has them or not when they're used, but when they were new, it could easily be another 5-10k. That's probably why most of them are base models and just have a couple options like this one which is basically the pano roof, sport steering wheel and keyless go. It's missing folding rear seats, power trunk closer, real leather, parktronic, bixenons with headlamp washers/high beam assist, driver assistance package which is distronic, blind spot and lane tracking, dynamic seats etc. Other options like the rear entertainment, side blinds, night view assist, heated steering wheel aren't that common.

Also ask to see if they will update the navigation so that it's the current year. Not sure how much that costs these days, used to be $250 for the DVD, but it's more if the dealer does it. You should get 2 keys with it.
Thanks for the tips! I'll definitely ask to update the navigation to the current year. Also you're right about the keyless go button. It states that the car has keyless go but in the pictures i don't see the keyless go button?
Old 10-24-2016, 08:51 PM

c300
I have not responded to the sales manager yet but when I do I will ask for transmission fluid change, updated navigation to current year, and keyless go button. Anything else guys?
Proflig8tor (10-24-2016)
Old 10-24-2016, 09:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Lots of times people steal the buttons so they usually remove them til it's sold. Just make sure you get it when you take delivery. Mine was missing but $15 later on eBay, I got it. Previous owner didn't even know it was missing, he didn't think it had keyless go.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Help with purchasing CPO 2013 e350