E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Anyone have a 2012-current E550 w/the latest Renntech tune?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-30-2016, 10:23 AM

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts
E550
I would like to point something out about this new tune as compared to the old and how it will affect quarter mile results. First thank you to TonyCPA for taking the time and money to have his car dynoed and provide us with this information. Now if you look at his dynoes all the new power/TQ seems to be below 4500rpms. Unfortunately, when we run our cars at the track once out of first gear, we are only above 4500rpms throughout 2nd and 3rd. This can be seen here in this video:

Now, while this torque is "there" for 1st gear anyone with this car will know that the launch on these cars is what kills them at the track. MB has limited the torque in 1st gear, same issue we are seeing on the e63's. While he did gain a few peak HP (which is great), 10-15hp on a 500hp car may not yield the results we are hoping. Iam curious what Tonycpa will run if he took his car to the track again, but wouldn't be surprised if the times and ET were very similar to his previous best because of what I have just noted.

Tony, there is no doubt we have 11 sec cars...we just need to be able to launch them to get there. Your 115mph trap is good for a mid-high 11 easily with a decent launch. 1.9X 60ft is horrible for a 600hp AWD car, and its no fault of yours, its MB with their torque management. My friends have AMG's that trap around 117-120. When we run on the highway, I'm right there with them. This cars are very fast for non-AMGs..but unfortunately (or fortunately) its more evident from a roll.

I am by no means knocking renntech or the products they produce. I would probably get this tune had I not had one already. I just wanted to point out some things that others may not have noticed.
The following 2 users liked this post by Juice1979:
J.M.G. (11-30-2016), mercshepherd (04-25-2019)
Old 11-30-2016, 12:13 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
2014 e550 4matic
if tonycpa hits 11's i will definately get my m278 hooked up

i was never really satisfied enough to do mods because they were still in the low 12's i want 11's..even 11.99999

i wish we had LAUNCH CONTROL- this thing would easily run 11's

e63AMGjoe's CLS550 went 12.22 with just tune and filter i believe

tonycpa- do you have the intercooler pump upgrade on yours?
Old 11-30-2016, 03:02 PM

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts
2014 E550 4MATIC TUNED - Turbo Upgraded Stage 3
Originally Posted by mjec515
if tonycpa hits 11's i will definately get my m278 hooked up

i was never really satisfied enough to do mods because they were still in the low 12's i want 11's..even 11.99999

i wish we had LAUNCH CONTROL- this thing would easily run 11's

e63AMGjoe's CLS550 went 12.22 with just tune and filter i believe

tonycpa- do you have the intercooler pump upgrade on yours?
I am more interested to see this guy on 1/4 mile numbers.

https://mbworld.org/forums/cls-coupe...50-4matic.html

this is the guy on stock M157 turbo with m278 engine and custom tuned.
Old 11-30-2016, 03:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I rode in a CLS550 with the 530/606 Renntech tune, and it felt every bit of low 12s. Really, really woke the car up a lot.
Old 12-01-2016, 08:15 AM

Received 62 Likes on 61 Posts
2013 E550 4Matic
Roads "in Mexico" are dry this morning... there's a spot where the highway opens up to 3 lanes, which is about 1/4 mile from an overpass. Usually if I'm cruising at 70 by the lane split and floor it, I'll hit about 130 rabbit hops by the time I pass under the bridge. This morning I got up to 145 rabbit hops. I didn't time it this time.

Also, even with ESP off, I couldn't get a good launch from a stop (probably need to work on technique). But I think a lot of it has to do with the torque limitation in first gear. This doesn't bother me, since I do most of my passing at speed anyway, and it does that very well now. On the other hand, I didn't get any wheel hop from that launch... but once it shifts to second gear, sayonara.
The following users liked this post:
J.M.G. (12-01-2016)
Old 12-02-2016, 01:35 PM

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
2015 E63 - Current, 2012 E550 - Current, 2019 Audi Q7 3.0T - current
Originally Posted by blegthbloo
Roads "in Mexico" are dry this morning... there's a spot where the highway opens up to 3 lanes, which is about 1/4 mile from an overpass. Usually if I'm cruising at 70 by the lane split and floor it, I'll hit about 130 rabbit hops by the time I pass under the bridge. This morning I got up to 145 rabbit hops. I didn't time it this time.

Also, even with ESP off, I couldn't get a good launch from a stop (probably need to work on technique). But I think a lot of it has to do with the torque limitation in first gear. This doesn't bother me, since I do most of my passing at speed anyway, and it does that very well now. On the other hand, I didn't get any wheel hop from that launch... but once it shifts to second gear, sayonara.
Ok so can you say you are 100% satisfied? I only ask because I'm local to OE Tuning, Weistec, World motorsports and RB tech all here in southern california. No one is claiming 700+ftlb of torque so I'm so on the fence of what tune to go with. I have access to two dynos and damnit I wish some of the guys that are tuned here in so cal would be down for a dyno day so we can see what kind of power these cars are making. When I talked to Renntech they were telling me that people with their new 550 tune were dynoing quite a bit higher than advertised.
Old 12-02-2016, 02:16 PM

E550
Originally Posted by BlownS4
Ok so can you say you are 100% satisfied? I only ask because I'm local to OE Tuning, Weistec, World motorsports and RB tech all here in southern california. No one is claiming 700+ftlb of torque so I'm so on the fence of what tune to go with. I have access to two dynos and damnit I wish some of the guys that are tuned here in so cal would be down for a dyno day so we can see what kind of power these cars are making. When I talked to Renntech they were telling me that people with their new 550 tune were dynoing quite a bit higher than advertised.
Keep in mind that 700ft lb torque number is their crank rating. Here is another tuners dynos that have numbers very similar to Tonycpa's after the retune.

http://oetuning.com/blog/stage-2-cls...uning-results/

and they are local to you.
Old 12-05-2016, 08:30 AM

2013 E550 4Matic
I can honestly say I'm about 90% satisfied. Over the past week of driving it, I've noticed a couple things:

- You need to turn off ESP to get the most acceleration out of it (duh) but, even then, my ContiProContact all-seasons still slip. Will be fixed in the spring when I put my summer wheels back on. A buddy was following me in his Golf R and noticed my tires slipping a little extra (even though no ESP lights were flashing, so it must've been slight enough not to trigger the sensors). This doesn't affect my satisfaction because I know the cause and solution; the next one is what keeps me from 100% satisfaction...
- At about 50-75% throttle with slow "lazy-but-spirited" application, the turbos cut out... it doesn't flash any lights or anything, but it jolts as the torque cuts out and it doesn't feel good (to me). I've only been able to replicate it with those conditions, and it doesn't happen every time. But 50-75% throttle with fast application, <50% throttle with all applications, and WOT all operate as normal/expected. It's just that slow 50-75% throttle (e.g. passing on the highway or accelerating from a light) where the turbos cut out. It does it in both E and S mode. I'm going to email Renntech about this this morning to see what that might be about. I'd be curious if Tonycpa has this issue as well.
- Despite that, even in the wet (it's soggy this morning), the tires still hook up (eventually) and that ~4s pull to 60 puts a smile on my face lol

If you're local to OE Tuning, just go with them. If you have any similar issues like this, you can just take it to them and sort it out in person.

Last edited by blegthbloo; 12-05-2016 at 08:38 AM.
Old 12-05-2016, 08:36 PM

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
2016 E 250 Bluetec
- At about 50-75% throttle with slow "lazy-but-spirited" application, the turbos cut out... it doesn't flash any lights or anything, but it jolts as the torque cuts out and it doesn't feel good (to me). I've only been able to replicate it with those conditions, and it doesn't happen every time. But 50-75% throttle with fast application, <50% throttle with all applications, and WOT all operate as normal/expected. It's just that slow 50-75% throttle (e.g. passing on the highway or accelerating from a light) where the turbos cut out. It does it in both E and S mode.
It seems to me that your vehicle might be creating way too much boost and as a result sending you car into sort of a limp mode, closing the valves on your turbos. I believe that is why your are not getting any problems at lower RPMs. Maybe get a boost gauge and see just exactly what are your outputs.
Old 12-06-2016, 06:31 AM

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
2010 E550 4Matic Sport P2
Watch the tach. Does this do this (when it happens) at damn near 4k rpm consistently?
Old 12-06-2016, 07:01 AM

2013 E550 4Matic
Originally Posted by Diesel #2
It seems to me that your vehicle might be creating way too much boost and as a result sending you car into sort of a limp mode, closing the valves on your turbos. I believe that is why your are not getting any problems at lower RPMs. Maybe get a boost gauge and see just exactly what are your outputs.
I think it's a fuel cut (limp mode, as you say), and it happens at about 2000, 3000, and 4000 RPM in any gear at 50-75% throttle, then once it gets to #100 RPM it resumes as normal. If it's too much boost, then I would think it would peak around the same RPM in each gear without that much variance, and then stay in limp mode and not go up in RPM. I sent another email to Renntech to see what they say.

It reminds me of when I waterlogged the intake on my Civic back in the day and it wouldn't let me rev over 3500RPM to protect the engine... but then again that car took forever to gain power, and made it at higher RPMs, and I think the E makes more power in one cylinder than in the Civic's whole engine lol

^ this actually gets me thinking of another possibility that the engine isn't getting enough air. I'll have to go make sure my intake ducts are set correctly, because the ones I had disintegrated when I was changing filters and I had to make makeshift tubes from Autozone (which don't stay put very well) until I could order new OEM ones, which I now have and just haven't installed... I meant to, though. If this is my issue, then But I don't think it's the whole problem, because more speed = more air, and it handles higher speeds just fine.

Last edited by blegthbloo; 12-06-2016 at 07:12 AM.
Old 12-06-2016, 01:22 PM

Received 84 Likes on 64 Posts
X3 M40i
Great thread, helps me assure myself of the e550 purchase decision in the next couple of months.

I have a question for you guys that are tuned. Are any of you running downpipes + exhaust mods along with the tunes? Or these are just straight tunes and resonator deletes?

I would be curious to know the how the downpipes would play in with the tunes?
Old 12-06-2016, 04:08 PM

E550
TonyCPA has downpipes and tune..Coco has downpipes but im not sure what tune (if any) he has. I have tune, resonator delete and magnaflow mufflers.
Old 12-06-2016, 04:48 PM

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
2015 gl450
I think it's a fuel cut (limp mode, as you say), and it happens at about 2000, 3000, and 4000 RPM in any gear at 50-75% throttle, then once it gets to #100 RPM it resumes as normal. If it's too much boost, then I would think it would peak around the same RPM in each gear without that much variance, and then stay in limp mode and not go up in RPM. I sent another email to Renntech to see what they say.

It reminds me of when I waterlogged the intake on my Civic back in the day and it wouldn't let me rev over 3500RPM to protect the engine... but then again that car took forever to gain power, and made it at higher RPMs, and I think the E makes more power in one cylinder than in the Civic's whole engine lol

^ this actually gets me thinking of another possibility that the engine isn't getting enough air. I'll have to go make sure my intake ducts are set correctly, because the ones I had disintegrated when I was changing filters and I had to make makeshift tubes from Autozone (which don't stay put very well) until I could order new OEM ones, which I now have and just haven't installed... I meant to, though. If this is my issue, then But I don't think it's the whole problem, because more speed = more air, and it handles higher speeds just fine.
Sounds like Stknk to me, but you would need to log to confirm. Something a tune tweak would fix.

Good luck, love the w212 550.
Old 12-06-2016, 05:00 PM

Received 84 Likes on 64 Posts
X3 M40i
Originally Posted by Juice1979
TonyCPA has downpipes and tune..Coco has downpipes but im not sure what tune (if any) he has. I have tune, resonator delete and magnaflow mufflers.
Are you planning to do down-pipes in the future? I am curious to see how much louder the down-pipes will make the exhaust sound with resonator delete + mufflers. Cant find any videos on youtube with a FBO 2012-14 e550. I am curious to see if it sounds anything like the E63s.

Do you happen to have any videos of your setup?
Old 12-06-2016, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by DameMD
Are you planning to do down-pipes in the future? I am curious to see how much louder the down-pipes will make the exhaust sound with resonator delete + mufflers. Cant find any videos on youtube with a FBO 2012-14 e550. I am curious to see if it sounds anything like the E63s.

Here is the video of my car a year ago.
The car was Catless downpiped, muffler deleted.
It is super loud...way louder than stock E63.
Sounds like truck....

Old 12-07-2016, 08:24 AM

2013 E550 4Matic
Originally Posted by Mike450
Sounds like Stknk to me, but you would need to log to confirm. Something a tune tweak would fix.

Good luck, love the w212 550.
I'm confident it's something in the tune, now. I installed the OEM air ducts this morning and it still does it (although it's not as bad now). Renntech is suggesting it might be the traction control system, so I'll try running without it and see what happens. I think the ESP being the issue would be the worst best-case scenario, since it's not "broken" and not something you can "tweak" but at the same time, it does hinder the daily driveability of the car because this will occur during highway passing and other medium-throttle acceleration scenarios. I noticed it doesn't seem to happen in manual mode, so maybe using that more is another solution.

Edit: Other solution would be WOT... everywhere... LOL

Originally Posted by cocobeex
Here is the video of my car a year ago.
The car was Catless downpiped, muffler deleted.
It is super loud...way louder than stock E63.
Sounds like truck....

https://youtu.be/c4rSIUfZrYU

https://youtu.be/CPRibMZrx7E
This is exactly the sound I want... I guess downpipes is the next mod to get. Still had both resonators at the time?

Last edited by blegthbloo; 12-07-2016 at 08:45 AM.
Old 12-07-2016, 03:19 PM

This is exactly the sound I want... I guess downpipes is the next mod to get. Still had both resonators at the time?
It is catless downpipe from Weistec, so, the first resonator (catalytic converter) is gone.
Only the second resonator were still on.

It was way too loud and raspy when driving.
It gave backfire popping sound when downshift (Loud popping). I wonder if car from behind can see the flame burst out from the exhaust...lol
High speed WOT, it sounds like F1, high pitch sound...its so awesome

Down sides are.....
It drew attention to cops couple times.
I couldn't drive this car out at late night. Cold start would woke everyone up.
its very emberrasing in the neighbour hood.

And...It droned like crazy when my family went on a long road trip.

Few month ago, I replaced 2nd resonator with X-Pipe and installed Magnaflow mufflers.

Now, it is real music to my ears and wife is happy.....lol

Last edited by cocobeex; 12-07-2016 at 03:34 PM.
Old 12-07-2016, 04:17 PM

2013 E550 4Matic
Where's the videos of that lol
Old 12-07-2016, 05:10 PM

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
2016 E 250 Bluetec
Hey Coco i just signed you up for this, 1st place gets decent hunk of doe, and ill cover your entry fee

Old 12-07-2016, 09:19 PM

Where's the videos of that lol
Haven't have time to film the video after installed xpipe and muffler.

Its more of refined sound, but almost no popping (backfire) sound now.
At lease, it won't draw too much attention to cops and hateful eye contact from neighbors.

I will find time to film it later.
Old 12-07-2016, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by Diesel #2
Hey Coco i just signed you up for this, 1st place gets decent hunk of doe, and ill cover your entry fee

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_18V58mHYfw
niceeeee lol

Now, the sound is a lot more refined.
Old 12-08-2016, 07:28 AM

2013 E550 4Matic
I'm wondering if just replacing the cats with high-flow cats will do what I need... I like the tone I have now, just wish it was a little louder.

RE: the main topic here, I think the problem I described above is also partly due to ESC being on... driving with it off makes the fuel cut happen less, but it still dips a little at certain RPMs. But turning off ESC means I can't use cruise control, which inhibits the "keeping the stock daily driveability" they claim, so I will keep pushing to see what they suggest we do about it. Don't remember if I mentioned this before but, with ESC off, the WOT pulls are a lot more fun
Old 12-08-2016, 10:36 AM

E550
Originally Posted by DameMD

Heres a video of my setup:

Old 12-09-2016, 08:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 E63 AMG
RE: the main topic here, I think the problem I described above is also partly due to ESC being on... driving with it off makes the fuel cut happen less, but it still dips a little at certain RPMs. But turning off ESC means I can't use cruise control, which inhibits the "keeping the stock daily driveability" they claim, so I will keep pushing to see what they suggest we do about it. Don't remember if I mentioned this before but, with ESC off, the WOT pulls are a lot more fun
Assuming you paid close to $3000 for that tune, what you are describing (end result) should not be acceptable (not Renntech tune in particular since there is no telling what could have been wrong with your car prior to tune).

In any case, "a fast Mercedes that almost works most of time" just does not sound good, it sounds ghetto to me.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Anyone have a 2012-current E550 w/the latest Renntech tune?