MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W212) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212-109/)
-   -   help radio volume knob not working (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212/646302-help-radio-volume-knob-not-working.html)

JT550 12-07-2016 11:09 AM

help radio volume knob not working

2011 E550 my radio volume knob quit working, volume on the steering wheel works fine. anyone run into this that can help before i do something dumb like go to the stealership?

Motivology 12-07-2016 12:30 PM

Sounds something simple, maybe loose wiring? I wounldn't go to a dealer for this issue, at least not yet.

thefisch 12-07-2016 05:45 PM

Haven't seen that on here before. Unfortunately, I doubt that is a separate part. Does the on/off button in the middle of the volume ring still work?

JT550 12-07-2016 06:18 PM

Yeah the on off still works as does everything but the volume, like I said the volume still works on the steering wheel. I talked to my friend who works in parts at my local MB dealer and he has not heard of this happening, he is going to talk to his master techs and get back to me.

SteveE400 12-08-2016 02:07 PM

If your 2011 model is like the Comand system in my 2015, you may have an unpleasant issue on your hands. The "Volume" knob is not a traditional potentiometer "volume control." The control in these systems is an optical encoder, a digital device. As such, it is not likely to be even remotely user-serviceable. Yes, there may be some fixes out there (similar to those for the Comand knob on the console), but this is not an old-fashioned wire-based component. It is a device with a precision control with a lot of attendant electronics to make it work.

My guess is that Maybe you can get that part of the Comand system and switch it out, but otherwise this will be a costly one to fix.

JT550 12-09-2016 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by SteveE400 (Post 6989914)
If your 2011 model is like the Comand system in my 2015, you may have an unpleasant issue on your hands. The "Volume" knob is not a traditional potentiometer "volume control." The control in these systems is an optical encoder, a digital device. As such, it is not likely to be even remotely user-serviceable. Yes, there may be some fixes out there (similar to those for the Comand knob on the console), but this is not an old-fashioned wire-based component. It is a device with a precision control with a lot of attendant electronics to make it work.

My guess is that Maybe you can get that part of the Comand system and switch it out, but otherwise this will be a costly one to fix.

thanks for the input, like I said the volume works on the steering wheel so I have volume control. Not gonna worry about it till I sell it . I found some used units but need to pull it out to get number to match it up

jonUF02 11-06-2017 02:27 PM

2012 E550 4matic - Volume knob is not working in a linear fashion. I spin the knob and sometimes volume changes the same direction, opposite direction, or does pretty much nothing until I spin it about 5+ full turns. I have resorted to using the steering wheel control most of the time. Is there any known fix? I had an Acura that was helped some by spraying electrical contact cleaner under the knob, but the previous reply regarding this being optical puts me off from spraying that in there.

SteveE400 11-06-2017 03:38 PM

Too true, Jon. I would not spray anything in the control. The old style potentiometers (volume controls) had carbon resistance tracks with a brass tab that rubbed across them to vary the resistance (and volume). They did sometimes get dirty or wear, and sometimes contact cleaner sprays would help. With the optical encoders in use in modern systems, this is no longer the case. The only fix is to either replace the encoder or the entire chassis sub-assembly. We should consider ourselves lucky that we have the redundant control on the steering wheel. At least we can continue using the system.

JKwentzville 03-10-2019 07:54 PM

The Fix

Originally Posted by JT550 (Post 6988720)
2011 E550 my radio volume knob quit working, volume on the steering wheel works fine. anyone run into this that can help before i do something dumb like go to the stealership?

Don't listen to the knuckleheads giving advise. Mine was doing the same thing. I pulled the volume and power knob off and blew compressed air into the area. Reinstalled knobs and it works great now. The volume control is optical, probably got some dirt or dust in there. FYI I used shop air from a compressor and blower nozzle. I would imagine contact cleaner would work just as well.

SteveE400 03-10-2019 07:56 PM

Air might work, if the culprit is dust.

Liquid sprays are a "No-No."

belarus27 03-10-2019 10:39 PM

Gonna give it a try

Mine sometimes take x10 more turns to lower it , like it doesnt do it instantly with delay

AkaSigFreak 03-13-2019 06:58 PM

It probably wouldn't help but has anyone tried the 'hard system reboot' by pressing and holding the power knob for approximately 8 seconds?

6speeddave 03-21-2019 11:05 PM

bump, also experiencing this in my 12 CLS63

raja777m 03-22-2019 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by SteveE400 (Post 6989914)

Just thinking out loud, so, a restart might be able to fix it? Long press on the radio On/Off button might be able to do the trick or worth a try right?

princenadom 07-06-2019 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by belarus27 (Post 7702303)
Gonna give it a try

Mine sometimes take x10 more turns to lower it , like it doesnt do it instantly with delay

2013 Mercedes c250 volume nub on the radio and on the steering wheel not working. No sound but every other thing works fine

hyperion667 07-06-2019 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by JKwentzville (Post 7702210)
Don't listen to the knuckleheads giving advise. Mine was doing the same thing. I pulled the volume and power knob off and blew compressed air into the area. Reinstalled knobs and it works great now. The volume control is optical, probably got some dirt or dust in there. FYI I used shop air from a compressor and blower nozzle. I would imagine contact cleaner would work just as well.

An insult before the fix: how nice :y Why did you bump this thread?

Windwagen 05-11-2020 05:01 PM

Let the Insults fly and the bumping continue!! This thread is exactly what I was looking for. First HIT on Google too - that's rare!

I was early for a meeting and searched this while sitting in a parking lot. Air compressor is at home of course. So what the hell... I just blew into the hole with my breath and it's working again! I didn't even know that knob came off so easily.

Thank you, everyone!

DFWdude 05-11-2020 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Windwagen (Post 8053068)
I was early for a meeting and searched this while sitting in a parking lot. Air compressor is at home of course. So what the hell... I just blew into the hole with my breath and it's working again! I didn't even know that knob came off so easily.

Thank you, everyone!

High tech or low tech... whatever makes the boat float. Good job. :y

henry7z 01-18-2021 06:23 PM

Same problem

Originally Posted by JT550 (Post 6990787)
thanks for the input, like I said the volume works on the steering wheel so I have volume control. Not gonna worry about it till I sell it . I found some used units but need to pull it out to get number to match it up

Try squeezing the knob while turning it. If that's the problem yank it out and see what you can do.

henry7z 01-18-2021 06:26 PM

try squeezing it whilst turning!

Left Coast Geek 01-18-2021 06:40 PM

I'd probably use 'canned air' duster, being careful to hold the can upright and not shake it so you don't get any liquid spray out....

Mohd Saadi 01-30-2021 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by JKwentzville (Post 7702210)

I have the same problem
How you fix it
Which knob you took off? And how?

dillharr 07-13-2021 02:44 PM

volume dial doesnt work

just like to thank the thread contributors.pulling the dial off and just blowing into it cured it for me,

FuzzyL 01-10-2023 10:19 AM

So, now this error is in my car as well, volume control acting funny and slow. How did you guys pull the volume control off? Just brute force backwards? I tried, but is was pretty stuck - was afraid i would brake it off so I gave up.

Left Coast Geek 01-10-2023 02:56 PM

dont use contact cleaner, that will gum up an optical encoder, just air, or a canned air duster.