MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W212) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212-109/)
-   -   Vibration in car; bent wheels. (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212/649587-vibration-car-bent-wheels.html)

The G Man 01-24-2017 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by pamiboy (Post 7034406)
Guys. I think I'm back to square one. I believe the vibrations seem to have returned. I just had my wheels repaired less than two weeks ago. My wife was driving it all the time since then. She doesn't remember hitting any potholes though. I simply don't have the stomach to go through the same thing again. :(.

Before you take the wife's word for it, why don't you test drive the car first and confirm the vibration and if it is feel like it is the same problem.

pamiboy 01-24-2017 10:55 AM

I see what you mean, but I forgot to mention that I'm driving it now though and feels like the same vibration. I asked my wife about it and she said she also felt the same. The wheel repair guys swears that his repair will not cause it and says that any new bent will require the same charges to be made. He is willing to take a look at it though to confirm.
I'm just going through the options again.

cetialpha5 01-24-2017 11:45 AM

Well did you go through the usual list of things that can cause vibrations? Motor mounts, flex disc on 4matic, loose ball joints, control arms, wheel bearing, cv joint etc.

pamiboy 01-24-2017 12:17 PM

Thanks for that list, but I neither have the expertise, tools, experience or the time to check for those things. My only options are to go to the wheel repair guy, local mechanic or dealer. I will start with the wheel guy since he agreed to check it for me. If wheels are not bent, then I'll probably take it to dealer since the car is still under warranty. If the wheels are again bent, then what to do is the question.

KEY08 01-24-2017 01:20 PM

It is weird, because you said that it was "driving like new" when you got it back. Something had to happen, or your glee and anticipation that it would be fixed obscured your ability to look at the repair more critically. I bet something went wacky again with a wheel.

The G Man 01-24-2017 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by pamiboy (Post 7034552)
The wheel repair guys swears that his repair will not cause it and says that any new bent will require the same charges to be made. He is willing to take a look at it though to confirm.
I'm just going through the options again.

This might be a crazy question, did the wheel guy balance the wheels after he mount the tires back on?

belarus27 01-24-2017 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by The G Man (Post 7034772)
This might be a crazy question, did the wheel guy balance the wheels after he mount the tires back on?

that should be included in the package too lol
i hope he did , and the vibration is coming from somewhere else

pamiboy 01-24-2017 10:29 PM

He had mentioned earlier that the package includes everything including balancing.
But if the wheels look okay then I'll probably ask him to balance it again. After the repair, I had noted that the low pressure warning was on (29 psi or something). He said the sensors might be wrong as he had put in 35 psi. So I left and checked it at a fuel pump. It was actually low and I topped it to 36 front and 44 rear. I think that's the max allowed. I think his air pump gauge is broken.
My wife commute is through some not so good roads and there's still a possibility that it could be damaged wheels.
Would changing wheels to 17 inches be an option to reduce the chances of this kind of damage.
I'm feeling so p....sed off now a days, I don't even know what I'm doing?

Bowyer 01-24-2017 10:50 PM

I'll second checking the tires being perfectly balanced. I struggled with vibration issues. I had the tires balanced, new tires purchased, rims straightened and still vibrations. I swore it was motor mounts (changed them along with transmission mount), thought it was flex discs, had a dealer alignment along with their road-force balance...just could't get vibration to go away. Finally I went to a different indy who drove my car. He (road-forcred) did a 4 wheel balancing and the issue disappeared, it made ALL the difference. He noted the wheels were true, the flex discs were fine. He thought maybe the previous shopS that balanced the tires may have added the weights to dirty rims and they lost their lead weights. Before you go crazy, try to find the best tire-balancer in the area! Good luck!

blegthbloo 01-25-2017 07:57 AM

Also make sure your wheels are hub-centric... if they're OEM wheels they should be, but if they don't sit center on the hub, then you could get vibrations that way too.

jahquan3 01-25-2017 12:02 PM

That sux if they are bent again. From my knowledge each time you get them straightened the rims lose their integrity so to speak. I've read that you really should only get them straighten twice if even more then once.

I have the same problem and believe all 4 of my rims are slightly bent. They've been this way since I've bought the car so I've gotten use to it. I can get the tires fixed locally but they only offer 48 hour turnaround with no Sunday access. This would mean I'd have to be off and get a ride to and from since it is my DD. So I kind of just settled on it's not worth it. FYI I was estimated $150 per wheel over the phone.

Jan AMG 01-25-2017 12:20 PM

Do a Road Force - Hunter balancing before anything else

pamiboy 01-25-2017 01:25 PM

On further driving I feel it's kind of intermittent and subtle but still there. I mostly feel it in city driving around 30-40 mph speeds. Where would I find the Hunter road force balancing? Would the dealers do it or is it totally independent?
Can the wheel repair guy tell if the wheels are okay or not ( before removing the wheels) ? I'd also hate for the wheels to be taken off and decide that wheels are fine.
May be I should try the balancing first as you guys suggest.

z06michael 01-25-2017 03:10 PM

I had mine just repaired for same problem and they cam out great, of course I hit another huge pothole on highway yesterday knocked alignment out but did not bend wheel again,just a note about your car, tires can warp after being on bent rim causing vibration, if that happens you have to buy tires, just a note

KEY08 01-25-2017 03:49 PM

Make sure all of the lug bolts are torqued to spec. I think it's like 130nm. Stranger things have happened with techs forgetting to tighten everything up.

blegthbloo 01-25-2017 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by KEY08 (Post 7036083)
Make sure all of the lug bolts are torqued to spec. I think it's like 130nm. Stranger things have happened with techs forgetting to tighten everything up.

Torque spec is 96lbs... not sure how that translates to Nm, but my torque wrench has both, so yours might too.

KEY08 01-25-2017 04:12 PM

96 ft.lbs = 130 Nm
worth checking.

Jan AMG 01-25-2017 05:03 PM

I think the Road force machine my local Hunter workshop uses (http://www.gsp9700.com) can determine if the wheel is straight without taking the tyre off. It's worth checking. Btw. is costs $40USD for the whole car which I find amazingly cheap. Maybe because it is a VW Service. New VWs' are notorious for vibrations due to their cheap suspension materials so they all need perfect balancing.
The worst car from the whole VW line-up is Audi A4, A5 they said.

goober71 01-25-2017 05:27 PM

Out of curiosity, what do you mean by vibration? Is it a side-to-side motion? Or a jumpy motion? And does it increase as your speed increases?
My 2014 E350 sport (CPO bought a couple of months ago) has a slight "shimmy" sideways motion at very low speed (just taking off from the driveway), but i can't feel it once speed picks up. Could just be my overcautious attitude, since it's a CPO. :-) That's why i figured i'd ask.
Thanks.

G

Mud 01-25-2017 05:31 PM

I wonder if the wheels may have indeed been bent/repaired but that they masked an existing condition that was there at the same time. So if wheels are now ok you are feeling the original issue?

Jan AMG 01-25-2017 07:04 PM

Just feel like sharing..

Once you put some miles on the W212, you may notice steering wheel vibration. While this could be due to several reasons, it could also be because the engine mounts are starting to wear out allowing the engine vibrations to be transmitted to the cabin. If you buy a Mercedes-Benz that has steering wheel or cabin vibration you should replace all three mounts. There are two engine mounts and one transmission mount which you could buy as a set online.

IgorE350 01-25-2017 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by pamiboy (Post 7021313)
I had noticed a small purring vibration in my car at highway speeds for some time and kept wondering why it is not there on the other / rental cars which I drive. The tires have good amount of tread left on them. After a recent service they rotated the tires as well. I brought it to the service manager and they agreed to do a tire balancing, which is when they broke the news. The Front and rear passenger wheels have a slight bend in them. They gave me an estimate of around $2k for new wheels. :eek:.
Per them, the alloy wheels are very easy to bend and even a small pothole can do it. Honestly I don't even remember hitting a big enough pothole, unless you count the drainage lids in road as a potholes.

My other question is, will comprehensive insurance cover it? If yes, will they agree for new wheels or used wheels?

Also what other options do I have. Are there any wheels which are less prone to bending this easily....? :smash:. Many thanks for your replies in advance.

Ebay is your friend here, or even craigslist. Many people sell take offs for good price. dont go to dealers they will rip you off soo bad, that you will think WTF just happened lol. I got all 4 with tires and tpms sensors for about $1100
Goodluck:y

The G Man 01-26-2017 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by pamiboy (Post 7035920)
On further driving I feel it's kind of intermittent and subtle but still there. I mostly feel it in city driving around 30-40 mph speeds. Where would I find the Hunter road force balancing? Would the dealers do it or is it totally independent?
Can the wheel repair guy tell if the wheels are okay or not ( before removing the wheels) ? I'd also hate for the wheels to be taken off and decide that wheels are fine.
May be I should try the balancing first as you guys suggest.

If the vibration is minor, it can be balance out. Call around and see who has a hunter road force balancing machine, but a good tire guy is better than any machine in my opinion. If the vibration is in the front, I would ask the tire guy to swap the front wheels to the back.

pamiboy 01-26-2017 05:55 PM

Our local Acura dealer has the Hunter road force balancing. I'll give them a try later and let you guys know what happens. But first I'll let my mind sink and settle and make sure the problem exists and is not just in my mind. :D.

pamiboy 02-02-2017 05:32 PM

Okay. Here's an update. I took it to the Acura dealer for Hunter road force balancing. He showed me that the rear wheel still has a bent. The right front wheel spins true. Now here's the interesting twist. On the rear wheel where there's a bend there is an "x" Mark made in white (exactly at the spot) and this shop didn't do it! He says that it not a new bend. It's the original bend which the original douchbag repair guy identified but didn't repair and still charged me. For now the dealer is balancing the other three tires. He says he will refer me to another repair guy which is good.