MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W212) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212-109/)
-   -   Did you tint the sunroof? (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212/652203-did-you-tint-sunroof.html)

AkaSigFreak 02-05-2017 10:40 AM

Did you tint the sunroof?

I had my car tinted with Llumar Ceramic CTX film and Air80 on the windshield. It makes an amazing difference in the internal temperature of the car. In Florida, on an 85 deg day, you can touch the inside of the class and it is completely cool to the touch. Then, I open the sunroof shade and I can feel the heat radiating through and the interior glass is extremely hot to the touch. I spoke to my tint guy, and he said he could put the Air80 on the sunroof too.
I have never thought about the sunroofs before, until now.

Diesel #2 02-05-2017 12:19 PM

I tinted the pano roof on my car. Even with the fabric cover closed i would still get some sunshine radiating through the roof. We get near 100 degree temperatures here at times and the tint made a big difference.

I tinted my front windshield once with the most transparent tint, it was confortable during the day but during night time driving it would hurt my eyes. But i hope your front tints works out better for you.

Becksan 02-06-2017 07:15 AM

Yeah I have ceramic in both of my cars, both are pano roof. It makes a difference! I would def recommend it, just go with a clear ceramic, I have it on my windshields too. It's clear, so doesn't mess with your vision day or night

blegthbloo 02-06-2017 10:16 AM

I have 55% tint on my windshield, but it doesn't bother me too much... definitely stays cool in the sun though. I didn't tint the sunroof though... maybe it would be even cooler (temps) if I did. Might revisit that whenever I replace my windshield and have to tint it again

badbenzz 02-06-2017 11:59 AM

Yes pano and windshield

mellonc 02-06-2017 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Becksan (Post 7047581)
Yeah I have ceramic in both of my cars, both are pano roof. It makes a difference! I would def recommend it, just go with a clear ceramic, I have it on my windshields too. It's clear, so doesn't mess with your vision day or night

Is it a myth that Panoramic roof may crack under the heat when tinted? Not sure. I'd like to tint them myself given that my area easily reaches 105 degrees in the summer. It's not just the temperature but UV and IR rays in Los Angeles area can be as severe as that of the middle eastern deserts...

thenew3 02-06-2017 06:59 PM

I tinted my windshield with Formula One Air 80, all other windows with formula one 50% ceramic, and the sunroof with 5%

AkaSigFreak 02-14-2017 10:55 AM

I am having my sunroof tinted right now. I asked my tint guy if he had ever heard of panoramic roofs exploding because of tint- he said it CAN happen and most manufacturers do NOT recommend tinting any sunroof. He did say he has used the Air80 and has NEVER had any issues with his.

belarus27 02-14-2017 11:42 AM

how does titnt affect the panoramic roof , so that one explodes?
:confused::nix:

mellonc 02-14-2017 06:19 PM

from what I hear it traps the heat between the tint film and the window. Usually it's not a big deal on the side windows as it continues to get hot and cool through car changing direction and sun moving about through out the day. But the roof is constantly facing the sun (imagine a long drive to Sacramento from LA in 100 degree weather thru the I-5 in August). Add a mild chassis flex from driving and you've got a recipe for glass breakage.

Becksan 02-15-2017 04:19 PM

I live in Orlando, so it gets pretty toasty during the summer. I have never heard of the pano cracking before. But the lady who did my tint suggested it and she has been doing it for over 20 years and knows her stuff. Mine are kept in a garage both at home and at work. So I guess it's slightly protected. I have llumar in both of mine.

DallasMB 02-16-2017 12:21 AM

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i1...4.jpg~original
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i1...3.jpg~original
Limo tint to match pano.

belarus27 02-16-2017 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by mellonc (Post 7056456)
from what I hear it traps the heat between the tint film and the window. Usually it's not a big deal on the side windows as it continues to get hot and cool through car changing direction and sun moving about through out the day. But the roof is constantly facing the sun (imagine a long drive to Sacramento from LA in 100 degree weather thru the I-5 in August). Add a mild chassis flex from driving and you've got a recipe for glass breakage.

thank you for your answer , that is pretty crazy , never heard about heat getting trapped thing , but people would know better that have PANO.
lol yea true , id blast my AC , turn some good music and enjoy my airmatic. or even let someone drive and drink some blue moon as a passenger. lol

mellonc 02-16-2017 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Becksan (Post 7057366)
I live in Orlando, so it gets pretty toasty during the summer. I have never heard of the pano cracking before. But the lady who did my tint suggested it and she has been doing it for over 20 years and knows her stuff. Mine are kept in a garage both at home and at work. So I guess it's slightly protected. I have llumar in both of mine.

Your data point is certainly helpful. I'd like to get about 50% ceramic for the windows and was wanting about 35% ceramic for the Pano.....

Another user from CA would just tilt my decision to having it done.....