MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W212) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212-109/)
-   -   Aftermarket AMG trunk emblem - Hot or Not? (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212/658067-aftermarket-amg-trunk-emblem-hot-not.html)

JoeTX 03-05-2017 06:34 PM

Aftermarket AMG trunk emblem - Hot or Not?

I love the clean elegance of the E550 coupe but also like the AMG name. My car does have the AMG sport package plus a few other AMG parts. The only exterior change I'm considering is to add a chrome AMG badge on the right side of the trunk opposite the E550 emblem like the one in the link below (and I fully understand that ebay and Mercedes probably don't belong in the same sentence).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMG-Mercedes...-/302093673864

What do the members of this forum think about adding this emblem?

cocobeex 03-05-2017 07:02 PM

Its your car...
You do whatever you want.

but, i wouldn't do it if i were you.
AMG police will be all over you.

AkaSigFreak 03-05-2017 07:10 PM

^
People who really know will laugh and call it a Fake AMG. They follow the belief "No Engine-No Badge".
The sad thing is I have seen NUMEROUS CLS550, S550 and other models with the AMG badge on the left of the trunk. Considering the drivers were older- I doubt they added the badges.

Airmousam 03-06-2017 06:27 AM

Would not do it, it's not an AMG.

KEY08 03-06-2017 07:54 AM

Did you search the forum first? Yours is not the first thread on adding incorrect badging to a Mercedes.

The G Man 03-06-2017 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by JoeTX (Post 7075232)
I love the clean elegance of the E550 coupe but also like the AMG name. My car does have the AMG sport package plus a few other AMG parts. The only exterior change I'm considering is to add a chrome AMG badge on the right side of the trunk opposite the E550 emblem like the one in the link below (and I fully understand that ebay and Mercedes probably don't belong in the same sentence).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMG-Mercedes...-/302093673864

What do the members of this forum think about adding this emblem?

People who don't know or care about cars would not even notice the AMG badge, people who do know car will get a good laugh out of it.
Its the same question asked in the BMW and Audi forum; should I put on a M badge or S badge, some will say do whatever you want, its your car and some will say don't do it because you will look like a poser.

Airmousam 03-06-2017 09:37 AM

Here's 90 pages of thoughts on this topic.

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...thread-90.html

belarus27 03-06-2017 10:12 AM

:cop:LOL

jahquan3 03-06-2017 10:50 AM

Thx for asking and the answer is "NO" Lol.

Although I fall under the category of people who don't care what you do since it's your car. The people in the know will shame you and laugh at you for posing. I too see a lot of AMG badges on none AMG cars and if it's an older person I don't really sweat it. Someone in the 40s and younger should know that they are posing.

JoeTX 03-06-2017 01:18 PM

I obviously need to improve my searching skill. I think even I can catch the drift on this one. I don't need no stinkin' badges. Thanks.

davidjohnbamber 03-06-2017 02:19 PM

If you want to add a AMG badge on the deck lid, then you might as well add a E63 badge to finish the makeover. I remember when I bought a 1983 380SL 18 years ago how many 70's and pre 1986 model year 560SL's were for sale. Some even had a deck lid mounted 3rd brake light. Considering M-B introduced the 560SL in 1986, that also a 3rd brake light was required by the NHTSA that year IIRC. I would think that M-B sold a lot of badges, deck lid stoplight assemblies and made a few $$$. I don't think anything has changed. It's your car do what you want. M-B is more than happy to take your money selling you badges. When it comes time to sell the car will it be worth more as a faux AMG? BTW congrats on your new ride.

Diesel #2 03-06-2017 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Airmousam (Post 7075749)
Here's 90 pages of thoughts on this topic.

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...thread-90.html

You definitely do not want to end up in that thread. I have skimmed through it and those guys are brutal. But besides that if it makes you feel good when you turn on your car in the morning then go for it, but you wont receive much admiration from fellow MB owners.

fosterelli 03-06-2017 06:08 PM

I think the true posers change the model name (make my E550 an E63) with badging. Simply adding an AMG badge to your E550 tells me a couple of things...you like AMG...and you're not a poser who changes his model number.

You already have AMG equipment on the car - and AMG is not a model - it's a brand of everything from full AMG MB vehicles to factory equipped styling and performance upgrades on non-AMG branded MBs - to aftermarket accessories the dealers and owners add to their vehicles...heck, you can even order a t-shirt and ball cap.

Keep your model correct, and rock AMG if you desire - because for those who know MB and AMG it's clear you are not posing...posers put E63 badges and rebadge the engine on the side. Posers will spend thousands of dollars on bodywork to look like a better model. Posers do whatever it takes to trick people into thinking they have something they don't.

PeterUbers 03-06-2017 06:31 PM

The e550 is an amazing car ... "e550" says it all

pamiboy 03-06-2017 08:25 PM

You don't want others to tell you what you should do to your car. Your money, your car and your enjoyment if the letters AMG make you feel better. Do what you want. There are enough people who debadge the car since it makes them feel better.

cetialpha5 03-06-2017 08:59 PM

das ist verboten.

You mind as well put BMW on it while you're at it.

BBB78 03-06-2017 09:04 PM

Lmao. No.

ajs76 03-08-2017 05:47 PM

Seems kind of poser-ish and I feel like it misses all audience:

1) the unwashed masses don't care about the small differences between high end mercedes models so they will feel no differently
2) Gold diggers might pay you more attention...but do you really want that?
3) Car enthusiasts will just make fun of you

I have a debadged AMG :)

sakodik 03-08-2017 06:58 PM

A v8 biturbo badge would be more fitting. Pass on the amg badge!

ElisTwoCents 03-09-2017 02:23 PM

I would do it and post pictures just so these guys get their soft little panties all in a bunch...DO IT so these pea brains have something to do with their day, like call people posers

Good day gentlemen.

ajs76 03-09-2017 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by ElisTwoCents (Post 7079425)
I would do it and post pictures just so these guys get their soft little panties all in a bunch...DO IT so these pea brains have something to do with their day, like call people posers

Good day gentlemen.

Ah, a mature opinion. I stated my argument for why I thought it was a bad idea and results in net negative opinions because the only people who will notice are enthusiasts...who won't respect the decision.

OP - it's your car and obviously do what makes you happy, but if you weren't worried about the reaction you wouldn't have posted.

To the 2 cents guy - look - you can slap a Ferrari badge on a fiero, a GTR badge on an G37, or a lambo badge on an R8. How is it anything other than pretending to be something it's not? I don't understand how it's NOT posing.

I look forward to your well thought out and rationale retort.

Edit: I will say that I like Fosterelli's thinking on this also. Keep your 550 badging and then it's like buying an S-line Audi A4 or something. Seems reasonable

Airmousam 03-09-2017 03:19 PM

Good day gentlemen.

Much like you got your tight panties in a wad over the lighted star a while back. Don't YOU have something better to do with YOUR day? ......jeez:rolleyes:

BBB78 03-09-2017 03:34 PM

Good day gentlemen.

Do you even Benz, bro?

mellonc 03-09-2017 04:00 PM

I took all emblems off in the back. I hate emblems of any kind. They do nothing and contribute nothing to the working of the car. Yet, they destroy the clean paint lines and get little pieces of wax stuck in there.

Emblems are like wearing GUESS sweatshirts or Armani Exchange t-shirts with big logo on your chest.

IgorE350 03-09-2017 08:11 PM

Dont do it! If you want that emblem, you have to buy the real AMG :slap: :D