E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Looking to buy an E-Class- Help?

Old 04-16-2017, 11:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 e320 bluetec
Smile Looking to buy an E-Class- Help?

Hi guys!

I have been browsing these forums for a while now and would like some of you great advice/input.
I am looking into buying a 2014+ e350.. I absolutely fell in love after test driving one of these.

I just sold(2 days ago) my WRX after owning it for 10 years and now it's time to have luxury instead of pure sport with no luxury.

I have a few questions:

1) Is there a certain mileage where these cars start having issues/breakdowns?

2) Is warranty a must?

3) What is the most common issue/concern/year?

4) What are the things to look for when buying a pre-owned?

I look forward on buying one this month.

Last edited by JokerGT; 04-22-2017 at 09:29 PM.
Old 04-16-2017, 06:05 PM

2015 Triumph Thunderbird LT 2008 Dodge Ram Bighorn 2011 Mercedes Benz E550 Sedan
I assume you're going to take the car to a good Benz mechanic...make sure all the front end stuff is good to go along with suspension componets front and rear.
Old 04-16-2017, 07:41 PM

2007 e320 bluetec
I will most likely get a CPO.
Old 04-16-2017, 08:39 PM

Received 136 Likes on 125 Posts
W212 E-class, W211 E-class, F10 5-Series
Originally Posted by JokerGT
Hi guys!

I have been browsing these forums for a while now and would like some of you great advice/input.
I am looking into buying a 2012+ e350.. I absolutely fell in love after test driving one of these.

I just sold(2 days ago) my WRX after owning it for 10 years and now it's time to have luxury instead of pure sport with no luxury.

I have a few questions:

1) Is there a certain mileage where these cars start having issues/breakdowns?

2) Is warranty a must?

3) What is the most common issue/concern/year?

4) What are the things to look for when buying a pre-owned?

I look forward on buying one this month.
I will most likely get a CPO.
Hey I was literally just in your shoes a month ago (finally pulled the trigger and got my baby delivered Tuesday), so I may be able to help...

Answers:

1) I am not too sure, but I always try to stay somewhere between 5-8k mi/year less than the average mileage per year (i.e. most ppl say 12-15k/year is acceptable, so I try to look for cars with 8-10k miles driven per year). But with any Mercedes or BMW, I wouldn't buy over 60k miles...most issues start happening at 80-100k mi

2) You already answered this yourself: you say you are buying CPO, which already comes w/ warranty.

3) You should be able to look up these in the forums for exact details, but from what I read, the W212's are pretty solid.

4) Look for accidents (Carfax and visual inspections), signs of smoking (smells/interior burn marks), bad [accident] repair jobs, oil leaks at oil filter housing/tranny/differential/transfer case. Look for severe curb rash on wheels and dirty interior (carpet/headliner) and rear bumper damage...although cosmetic, curb rash and filthy interiors and damaged rear bumper are almost directly correlated with a mechanically neglected car, as it shows the owner isn't careful or concerned with details and is very careless with backing up (even though the car has camera/sensors). Look for missing tow hook covers and missing spare tire/tools...shows that the car has had a rough life and has been disabled a lot.

Good luck!!

Last edited by tresean1; 04-16-2017 at 08:54 PM.
Old 04-17-2017, 06:28 AM

2007 e320 bluetec
Originally Posted by tresean1
Hey I was literally just in your shoes a month ago (finally pulled the trigger and got my baby delivered Tuesday), so I may be able to help...

Answers:

1) I am not too sure, but I always try to stay somewhere between 5-8k mi/year less than the average mileage per year (i.e. most ppl say 12-15k/year is acceptable, so I try to look for cars with 8-10k miles driven per year). But with any Mercedes or BMW, I wouldn't buy over 60k miles...most issues start happening at 80-100k mi

2) You already answered this yourself: you say you are buying CPO, which already comes w/ warranty.

3) You should be able to look up these in the forums for exact details, but from what I read, the W212's are pretty solid.

4) Look for accidents (Carfax and visual inspections), signs of smoking (smells/interior burn marks), bad [accident] repair jobs, oil leaks at oil filter housing/tranny/differential/transfer case. Look for severe curb rash on wheels and dirty interior (carpet/headliner) and rear bumper damage...although cosmetic, curb rash and filthy interiors and damaged rear bumper are almost directly correlated with a mechanically neglected car, as it shows the owner isn't careful or concerned with details and is very careless with backing up (even though the car has camera/sensors). Look for missing tow hook covers and missing spare tire/tools...shows that the car has had a rough life and has been disabled a lot.

Good luck!!
Congratulations!

I'/ right there with you in getting a low mileage vehicle. I am very "strict" OCD about cars. I looks at the interior/exterior with a lot of attention to detail. I like your tip in regards to checking for the spare tire/spare tools/jack.

The reason why I was asking about warranty is because I see a lot of good deals on e350's that have only a few months left on their original warranty. I want to see if buying extended warranty is definitely a must?

I spend a "good amount" of time in the car, but I do not put a lot of miles on my vehicles because everything is so close to me(just a lot of traffic). I do not have to worry about reaching the mileage, just the time frame since I want to keep this car for a good while.

I am currently looking nationwide because so far the few e350's in my area are not kept up with my "standards". -too much wear/tear. The only issue is that I have to rely on pictures instead of being able to checkout the car myself.
Old 04-17-2017, 07:20 AM

Thanks.

So if you are looking for vehicles that still have their original warranty remaining, then you are more than likely not looking at 2012 models right? I guess technically you can find a '13 with warranty remaining...but like you said, only a few months.

If your checkbook allows for it, then I would shoot for at least a 2014. You'll get the facelifted model (IMO better looking, refreshed ext/int, more available features and options). And the chance is greater that you will still have at least a year of factory warranty left, like my car did. Plus you'd get the option of extending the factory warranty directly from MB. If you buy older/no warranty, then the issue becomes looking for an aftermarket warranty...

Where do you live? Are you looking for dealers only or private sellers, or both?

I can definitely assist more, let me know if you need anymore help.

Last edited by tresean1; 04-18-2017 at 11:05 AM.
Old 04-18-2017, 09:35 AM

Received 62 Likes on 61 Posts
2013 E550 4Matic
Funny, I just bought a FXT because I wanted to break away from the subdued and relaxed ride of luxury for a bit (but mainly because I don't want to put as many miles on the MB... and I missed driving stick shift).

My 2013 will be out of CPO warranty this September, so if you're worried about that then I would do as Tresean suggests and go with 2014+ if you can. I personally prefer the classic look of the pre-facelift, as do others on this board, but that's a decision you'll have make on your own. I guess that's a good place to start... which version do you prefer based on looks? Overall the W212 is a pretty solid car and you can't go wrong with any of them, especially if they meet your maintenance history standards (most CPOs probably will)
Old 04-18-2017, 10:05 PM

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
2017 SL450
JokerGT,

You can still find a 2012 that is under warranty. The warranty in place would have to be the MB extended warranty, which would bring your car out to 7 years from the date of manufacture (I believe) or 75,000 miles.

I sent you a PM. Did you receive it? If so, a reply would be nice.
Old 04-18-2017, 10:34 PM

Received 62 Likes on 45 Posts
2014 E350
If you find a '15 lease return (fairly common as lots of leases are approx. 2 years), it will still have a year plus on the full warranty, and the CPO adds another 1 year and unlimited mileage on the powertrain.

FWIW, I bought my wife's 2014 E350 back in August, and its factory warranty plus the CPO-added year takes us to the end of 2018 (and unlimited miles on pwrtrain). Given that everything checks out when you first get it (so do check very closely as I saw one very poor example of a CPO I even complained about passing their certification it was so shoddy) it is a very solid car. BTW, Consumer Reports shows excellent reliability, surpassing the A6 and 5-series in reliability. We've put nearly 10k miles on ours so far and it is a beautifully solid cruiser!

Edward
Old 04-18-2017, 11:37 PM

JokerGT

Everybody is saying good things.

Additionally I'd like to add: if money is an issue, you can forgo CPO altogether and find a nice 2014 or 2015 with factory warranty still active; you can save yourself $5k or so (they really go overboard on CPO pricing).

For example: I was not only able to find a "unicorn" (fully loaded 2014, in designo Diamond White exterior, over designo Porcelain/Black interior)...but that unicorn also had golden hooves in that it was an April 2014 build (as opposed to being built in 2013) and wasn't delivered until July 2014 and only has 24k miles, so I have remaining factory warranty for the next 15 months. To put it in context, I have seen CPO "base model" E350's w/ no options and more miles with no warranty remaining, for about $1000 more than my car was.

So in my situation, if my car was CPO'd, it would have costed me about 7 grand more...but I essentially got the same year warranty (I also ignore the unlimited mileage marketing B.S.--because who can drive "unlimited miles" in only one year?), for thousands and thousands less! I can take that money saved and buy the extended MB warranty or an aftermarket warranty right before my factory warranty expires---plus I have more to $pend on lot$ of mod$!!!

Here are two cars I scoured the country for, that are as loaded as I could find, equipped similarly:
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...odelCode1=E350

Notice the $4-5k difference from CPO to non-CPO?

You may not be able to duplicate my situation exactly, but just wanted to share my experience in that you may consider the possibilities & be able to find something similar.

Last edited by tresean1; 04-18-2017 at 11:56 PM.
Old 04-19-2017, 06:53 PM

2007 e320 bluetec
JokerGT

Everybody is saying good things.

Additionally I'd like to add: if money is an issue, you can forgo CPO altogether and find a nice 2014 or 2015 with factory warranty still active; you can save yourself $5k or so (they really go overboard on CPO pricing).

For example: I was not only able to find a "unicorn" (fully loaded 2014, in designo Diamond White exterior, over designo Porcelain/Black interior)...but that unicorn also had golden hooves in that it was an April 2014 build (as opposed to being built in 2013) and wasn't delivered until July 2014 and only has 24k miles, so I have remaining factory warranty for the next 15 months. To put it in context, I have seen CPO "base model" E350's w/ no options and more miles with no warranty remaining, for about $1000 more than my car was.

So in my situation, if my car was CPO'd, it would have costed me about 7 grand more...but I essentially got the same year warranty (I also ignore the unlimited mileage marketing B.S.--because who can drive "unlimited miles" in only one year?), for thousands and thousands less! I can take that money saved and buy the extended MB warranty or an aftermarket warranty right before my factory warranty expires---plus I have more to $pend on lot$ of mod$!!!

Here are two cars I scoured the country for, that are as loaded as I could find, equipped similarly:

Notice the $4-5k difference from CPO to non-CPO?

You may not be able to duplicate my situation exactly, but just wanted to share my experience in that you may consider the possibilities & be able to find something similar.
I agree! I've been noticing that as well regarding factory warranty and "CPO" . I've been browsing on eBay and am coming across a lot of e350's with less than 20k miles 2014+.

The only issue is that I am still looking for a steal since my price range is on the low end of what these cars are selling for.

There seems to be 3 major differences in the e350 class:
- Luxury Sedan
- Sport Sedan
- Coupe

From what I am seeing the coupe is more than the sedan?

Time is on my side since I do not need to purchase another car right away(but it would be nice).

I absolutely love these beautiful machines!
Old 04-19-2017, 07:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,615 Likes on 1,186 Posts
2014 E550-sold 😩
Yes, the coupe is priced higher.
Old 04-19-2017, 07:37 PM

I agree! I've been noticing that as well regarding factory warranty and "CPO" . I've been browsing on eBay and am coming across a lot of e350's with less than 20k miles 2014+.

The only issue is that I am still looking for a steal since my price range is on the low end of what these cars are selling for.

There seems to be 3 major differences in the e350 class:
- Luxury Sedan
- Sport Sedan
- Coupe

From what I am seeing the coupe is more than the sedan?

Time is on my side since I do not need to purchase another car right away(but it would be nice).

I absolutely love these beautiful machines!
Like I said before, you can find a "steal", but it will likely be a barebones base Luxury model, or maybe a "base" Sport model.

So if a lot of options aren't a big deal for you, then you can definitely find a 2014 on the low side of the price range. It's all in what you want and what's a priority for you. I'm very good at sniffing out rare gems, so if you need help, then let me know.

Last edited by tresean1; 04-19-2017 at 11:39 PM.
The following users liked this post:
JokerGT (04-19-2017)
Old 04-19-2017, 07:57 PM

2007 e320 bluetec
Like I said before, you can find a "steal", butbit will likely be a barebones base Luxury model, or maybe a "base" Sport model.

So if a lot of options aren't a big deal for you, then you can definitely find a 2014 on the low side of the price range. It's all in what you want and what's a priority for you. I'm very good at sniffing out rare gems, so if you need help, then let me know.
http://www.mercedesexpert.com/vehicl...7342545f065db/

What do you think?
Old 04-19-2017, 09:10 PM

Looks pretty clean; not my taste, but it seems like it was well maintained.

Three things I noticed:
1) it doesn't have Parktronic, nor ventilated seats, nor Distronic, nor Night Vision
2) the description has some discrepancies/contradicting info---in that: one part says it has 30k mi, and another part says it has 36k mi (last Carfax reading reports 30k miles as of 3/13/17, so has it been driven 6k miles in the last month?)
3) the listing boasts about it "still being under factory warranty" but the owner took delivery on 5/25/13, which means you only have a month left = no warranty basically. So, while technically it is under factory warranty, realistically by the time you purchase it, it'll be over. That, IMO, was just a good marketing ploy.

Those are three points to consider; but if you can live with/get over them all, then go for it if you have your heart set on it!

So I assume you are leaning more toward coupes?

Last edited by tresean1; 04-19-2017 at 10:43 PM.
Old 04-19-2017, 10:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,465 Likes on 1,146 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
As long as it still has some of the original factory warranty, you should be able to buy an MB extended warranty as long as it wasn't a previous CPO car. You could have the vendors mentioned in the extended warranty sub-forum run the VIN and make sure it qualifies. Judging from the carfax, it probably should. For extended warranties you can go up to 7/100k so another 3 years and 64k worth of coverage.
Old 04-19-2017, 10:55 PM

2001 E320, 2010 E350 Sedan, 2009 E350 Wagon, 2014 E350 Coupe, 2015 ML 350
the W212 pre-facelift is one of the best looking cars on the road in my opinion. I have a 2010 with 82k miles and its been a champ.

Wife has a 2011 with 110k and no problems whatsoever in our 5 years of ownership and 95k miles we've put on it.

I would recommend getting a vehicle with the lighting package as the standard halogen bulbs on a 2012-2013 are absolutely awful. Also, if you can find one with the full driver assistance package that rolls in DISTRONIC PLUS Adaptive Cruise Control, spring for that as well. Piece of mind with a CPO can't hurt at all but overall I think these cars are extremely durable. No complaints.
Old 04-21-2017, 07:42 PM

2007 e320 bluetec
I'm having a hard time deciding between the 2013 and 2014. There is a decent price difference and they both look great..
Old 04-21-2017, 09:03 PM

Did you like any of the cars I sent you in pm? I would personally opt for the 2014, as it has the refreshed and better looking face, and it has more features and is more refined. IMO, the 2013 look more robotic and squarish... but to each his own
Old 04-22-2017, 12:08 PM

Received 62 Likes on 45 Posts
2014 E350
CPO vs non-CPO is highly dependent on the dealer/seller pricing it.

FWIW, in SoCal (Aug 2016), I scoured the ads within 100mi radius and found innumerable examples of superb CPO-low-mile cars going for precious little over the non-CPO ones. I was not "sold" on getting a CPO, but found that in many instances, it made better sense given the small delta in price (far less the $5k difference stated above, in my actual experience in my area). Not to contradict the above, but just to say that one should look and deal aggressively as each seller is very different in how "motivated" they are to move product.

Just as a data point, our well-optioned 2014 CPO-E350 with 21K miles was a great deal compared to the all the others I had shopped over those several weeks ...and from a large dealer group who was, clearly, motivated

Edward
Old 04-22-2017, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Edward993
CPO vs non-CPO is highly dependent on the dealer/seller pricing it.

FWIW, in SoCal (Aug 2016), I scoured the ads within 100mi radius and found innumerable examples of superb CPO-low-mile cars going for precious little over the non-CPO ones. I was not "sold" on getting a CPO, but found that in many instances, it made better sense given the small delta in price (far less the $5k difference stated above, in my actual experience in my area). Not to contradict the above, but just to say that one should look and deal aggressively as each seller is very different in how "motivated" they are to move product.

Just as a data point, our well-optioned 2014 CPO-E350 with 21K miles was a great deal compared to the all the others I had shopped over those several weeks ...and from a large dealer group who was, clearly, motivated

Edward
Good context to add. As I said above and like you just mentioned, everyone's situation will be slightly unique.

If you would elaborate, when did you purchase your 2014?? What's your definition of "well-optioned"--what features/options does it have; which are missing? If you don't mind me asking, how much did you guys pay? Just want to compare and contrast situations...
Old 04-22-2017, 07:05 PM

2007 e320 bluetec
Did you like any of the cars I sent you in pm? I would personally opt for the 2014, as it has the refreshed and better looking face, and it has more features and is more refined. IMO, the 2013 look more robotic and squarish... but to each his own
Yes I did and I agree. The 2013 is nice, but the 2014+ has more features and it newer. Now with the 2018's rolling out with a even newer look, the 2013 will be "out-dated" quickly.

Now from what I found.. the 2014+ does not have a P2 package as an option anymore? I really am looking for an e-class with the lighting package and P2 features.
Old 04-22-2017, 07:32 PM

Yes I did and I agree. The 2013 is nice, but the 2014+ has more features and it newer. Now with the 2018's rolling out with a even newer look, the 2013 will be "out-dated" quickly.

Now from what I found.. the 2014+ does not have a P2 package as an option anymore? I really am looking for an e-class with the lighting package and P2 features.
True, 2014 only comes with a P1 pkg, so it depends, really, on what you're looking for and what items you absolutely have to have, and which you can live without.

What exactly was in the P2 pkg from 2010-2013 models that you are looking for? Perhaps some of those have been reconfigured to be standard features, and the other ones switched over to P1 (or a different package) for 2014?
Old 04-22-2017, 08:54 PM

2007 e320 bluetec
I am amazed that MB does not have the lighting package as a standard feature.. to me that is a must.

Options that stand out to me:
Keyless Entry/GO
Parking Assist
HD Sound
Cooled Vented Seats

Distronic Plus is definitely an awesome option, but I can live without it if I have the other options I want.
Old 04-22-2017, 11:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,465 Likes on 1,146 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
True, 2014 only comes with a P1 pkg, so it depends, really, on what you're looking for and what items you absolutely have to have, and which you can live without.

What exactly was in the P2 pkg from 2010-2013 models that you are looking for? Perhaps some of those have been reconfigured to be standard features, and the other ones switched over to P1 (or a different package) for 2014?
I have P2 on both cars. Basically it's keyless go and bi-xenon headlamps with headlamp washers. They also had active curve illumination where they would swivel up to 12 degrees from one side to another. When they went to LED in 2014, the headlamp washers went away, but they still have active curve illumination with the LED, it's just hard to tell now. Before all you had to do was look for the headlamp washers on 2010-2013 to find bixenons and that usually meant keyless go. Now those options are separate so if it had keyless go, it might not have the lighting package. It's very cool at night, especially if you're in a parking lot and you can see the lights swivel from one side to another. It's a bit more subtle on curves, it just lights the road in front of you instead of the guardrail on the side. I believe technically the bixenons are brighter than LED, but they cost a bit more so LED is a slight step down, but it's a big step up for the class over halogens.

As for the other option, parktronic isn't that hard to find but still a little rare. The audio system is pretty standard with the P1 package and pretty much most cars have that. Finding a pure base model is as rare as finding one fully loaded. Heated and cooled seats is a pretty rare option, didn't even have that as an option in the facelifted W211. Still pretty hard to find in an E350. That would be standard on an E550.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Looking to buy an E-Class- Help?