MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W212) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212-109/)
-   -   Standard/Adaptive Lane Keep (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212/663156-standard-adaptive-lane-keep.html)

johnlk25 04-17-2017 08:06 PM

Standard/Adaptive Lane Keep

So I was just scrolling through my menu today that shows all the options for blind spot, lane keeping, attention assist, etc and noticed that as far as the lane keeping, I have the option of selecting either "standard" or "adaptive" for the lane keep assistant. What's the difference between the two? I looked in the owners manual, but couldn't find anything that explained the difference between the two.

tresean1 04-17-2017 08:54 PM

I would like to know too!!! IMO, the owner's manual has lots of legal warnings and words taking up space, but it doesn't actually say anything. And they piecemeal it together...half printed, half digital. Have you "installed" the Owner's Manual CD in your car yet? You may want to check that out. I plan to do mine soon. BMW does a much better job with their manuals, in terms of concise and complete...and the digital version is already pre-loaded in iDrive.

In the meantime, this is what I found yesterday:
https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...ml#post7117922

apg231 04-17-2017 09:15 PM

Check the owners manual page 229 on the right side. It explains it there. I tried to cut and paste it from my Adobe copy I have on my IPhone but it's messed up in translation.

you should be able to get he just of it (replace the capitalized R with a bullet •)

Standard

If Standard is selected, no warning vibration occurs if: Ryouswitchontheturnsignals.Inthisevent, the warnings are suppressed for a certain period of time. adriving safety system intervenes, such as ABS, BAS or ESP®.

Adaptive

When Adaptive is selected, no warning vibration occurs if: Ryouswitchontheturnsignals.Inthisevent, the warnings are suppressed for a certain period of time. Radriving safety system intervenes, e.g. ABS, BAS or ESP®. Ryou accelerate hard, e.g. kickdown. Ryou brake hard. Ryou steer actively, e.g. swerve to avoid an obstacle or change lanes quickly. Ryou cut the corner on a sharp bend. In order that you are warned only when necessary and in good time if you cross the lane marking, the system recognizes certain conditions and warns you accordingly. The warning vibration occurs earlier if: Ryou approach the outer lane marking on a bend. Rthe road has very wide lanes, e.g. a highway. Rthesystemrecognizes solid lane markings. The warning vibration occurs later if: Rthe road has narrow lanes. Ryou cut the corner on a bend.

johnlk25 04-17-2017 09:37 PM

Thanks. I'll check out page 229 tomorrow.

johnlk25 04-19-2017 06:02 PM

Page 229 in my manual talks about stowage areas. Says nothing about lane keeping.

tresean1 04-19-2017 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by johnlk25 (Post 7121245)
Page 229 in my manual talks about stowage areas. Says nothing about lane keeping.

+1

apg231 04-19-2017 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by tresean1 (Post 7121314)
+1

Sorry I have a PDF version of the manual I got off the internet.

I cut and pasted what it says above. It's a little garbled because of the format but you can figure it out.

tresean1 04-19-2017 08:54 PM

Hey johnlk25,

Have you "installed" the Owner's Manual CD in your car yet? Maybe that will have a detailed writeup that we are looking for. You may want to check that out. I plan to do mine soon.

AkaSigFreak 04-19-2017 10:20 PM

It is on page 235 in the Owners Manual.

Switching on Active Lane Keeping Assist
Switch on Active Lane Keeping Assist using the on-board computer; to do so, select Standard or Adaptive(> page 248). If you drive at speeds above 40 mph
(60 km/h) and lane markings are detected, the lines in the assistance graphics display
(> page 246) are shown in green. Active Lane Keeping Assist is ready for use.
If Standard is selected, no warning
vibration occurs if:
1. You have switched on the turn signals. In this event, the warnings are suppressed
for a certain period of time.
2. A driving safety system intervenes, such as ABS, BAS or ESP®.

When Adaptive is selected, no warning vibration occurs if:
1. You have switched on the turn signals. In this event, the warnings are suppressed
2. A driving safety system intervenes, e.g. ABS, BAS or ESP®.
3. You accelerate hard, e.g. kickdown.
4. You brake hard.
5. You steer actively, e.g. swerve to avoid an obstacle or change lanes quickly.
6. You cut the corner on a sharp bend.
In order that you are warned only when necessary and in good time if you cross the
lane marking, the system recognizes certain conditions and warns you accordingly.
The warning vibration occurs earlier if:
1. you approach the outer lane marking on a bend.
2. The road has very wide lanes, e.g. a highway.
3. The system recognizes solid lane markings.
The warning vibration occurs later if:
1. The road has narrow lanes.
2. You cut the corner on a bend.

johnlk25 04-20-2017 08:09 AM

No I have not installed the owners manual CD, but I probably should.

Thank you AkaSigFreak. I will check my owners manual on page 235 to see if I have the same thing, but thanks for taking the time to post the info. I appreciate it.

tresean1 04-20-2017 10:30 AM

AkaSigFreak,

You seem pretty savvy on the features of this vehicle. Does it's Park Assist perpendicular park the car as well?

Furthermore, how does the darn thing even work? I have driven past parking spaces and there is no indication that the system is ready to "assist". I have read the manual, but couldn't find anything that explains how to use the system.

BMW's Parking Assistant is very intuitive, yet I am struggling to even activate, engage, or even use Mercedes' system.

johnlk25 04-21-2017 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by AkaSigFreak (Post 7121508)
It is on page 235 in the Owners Manual.

Switching on Active Lane Keeping Assist
Switch on Active Lane Keeping Assist using the on-board computer; to do so, select Standard or Adaptive(> page 248). If you drive at speeds above 40 mph
(60 km/h) and lane markings are detected, the lines in the assistance graphics display
(> page 246) are shown in green. Active Lane Keeping Assist is ready for use.
If Standard is selected, no warning
vibration occurs if:
2. A driving safety system intervenes, such as ABS, BAS or ESP®.

When Adaptive is selected, no warning vibration occurs if:
2. A driving safety system intervenes, e.g. ABS, BAS or ESP®.
3. You accelerate hard, e.g. kickdown.
4. You brake hard.
5. You steer actively, e.g. swerve to avoid an obstacle or change lanes quickly.
6. You cut the corner on a sharp bend.
In order that you are warned only when necessary and in good time if you cross the
lane marking, the system recognizes certain conditions and warns you accordingly.
The warning vibration occurs earlier if:
1. you approach the outer lane marking on a bend.
2. The road has very wide lanes, e.g. a highway.
3. The system recognizes solid lane markings.
The warning vibration occurs later if:
1. The road has narrow lanes.
2. You cut the corner on a bend.

Page 235 in my manual does not mention any of this. All it talks about on that page is stowage.

tresean1 04-21-2017 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by johnlk25 (Post 7121245)

Originally Posted by johnlk25 (Post 7123402)
Page 235 in my manual does not mention any of this. All it talks about on that page is stowage.

So your manual talks about stowage on page 229 AND 235? Wow, that's a lot of stowage!! :nix:

AkaSigFreak,

You seem pretty savvy on the features of this vehicle---and the written literature. Does it's Park Assist perpendicular park the car as well? I can't seem to find it in the manual

Furthermore, how does the darn thing even work? I have driven past parking spaces and there is no indication that the system is ready to "assist". I have read the manual, but couldn't find anything that explains how to use the system.

BMW's Parking Assistant is very intuitive, yet I am struggling to even activate, engage, or even use Mercedes' system.

johnlk25 04-21-2017 03:05 PM

Yup. From page 222 to 236 all it talks about is stowage. I wish I had the manual that you guys have.

apg231 04-21-2017 03:19 PM

Google search "2014 Mercedes E class owners manual PDF". That is what I am referring to in my post about page 229.

konigstiger 04-21-2017 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by johnlk25 (Post 7123420)
Yup. From page 222 to 236 all it talks about is stowage. I wish I had the manual that you guys have.

https://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/servi...owners_manuals

AkaSigFreak 04-21-2017 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by tresean1 (Post 7121915)
AkaSigFreak,

You seem pretty savvy on the features of this vehicle. Does it's Park Assist perpendicular park the car as well?

Try pages 212-216. I do not have that Option so I am not that familiar with it.