MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W212) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212-109/)
-   -   Check Oil Message- Long Story (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212/665732-check-oil-message-long-story.html)

AkaSigFreak 05-08-2017 08:48 PM

Check Oil Message- Long Story

I purchased the car as a CPO back in December 2016. Yesterday, I was about an hour away from my house, when I got a Warning Message.
I stopped at a gas station, let the car sit a few minutes, and checked the dipstick. The level did not even show on the dipstick. If I placed it on a paper towel, I would get a 1/4" spot of clean looking oil. I called MB Roadside Assistance and told them what was happening. The agent told me to drive to an Auto Parts store or Gas Station and get a few quarts of "full synthetic oil".
I said, "I need to get Mobil1 0W30/40 European Formula- Correct?".
She said, "It doesn't really matter...as long as it is Full-Synthetic".
I said, "Are you sending a Service Vehicle?"
She said, "Just fill up the oil so it shows on the dipstick and get it to the dealership as soon as you can."
So...today, I'm at the dealership buying my wife a CPO 2015 ML350 (Nice), and I have them check my car. They quickly take it back and I see them immediately checking my car on the lift. When the SA comes back, She says she's not sure what's going on. The amount of oil missing from the jug I bought was the approximate amount of oil in the engine. There are no signs of leaks, so the possibilities are 1. The Engine is "eating" oil 2. The Service Tech never filled it properly before I took delivery. She said they are pulling the records to see which Tech performed the service for the CPO (sounds like this may have happened before).
She told me to keep an eye on it and monitor the oil level over the next few weeks. Should I be concerned about engine damage due to the low oil level?

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...c4fd2a0977.jpg

AMGNEEDSPEED 05-08-2017 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by AkaSigFreak (Post 7141455)
I purchased the car as a CPO back in December 2016. Yesterday, I was about an hour away from my house, when I got a Warning Message.
I stopped at a gas station, let the car sit a few minutes, and checked the dipstick. The level did not even show on the dipstick. If I placed it on a paper towel, I would get a 1/4" spot of clean looking oil. I called MB Roadside Assistance and told them what was happening. The agent told me to drive to an Auto Parts store or Gas Station and get a few quarts of "full synthetic oil".
I said, "I need to get Mobil1 0W30/40 European Formula- Correct?".
She said, "It doesn't really matter...as long as it is Full-Synthetic".
I said, "Are you sending a Service Vehicle?"
She said, "Just fill up the oil so it shows on the dipstick and get it to the dealership as soon as you can."
So...today, I'm at the dealership buying my wife a CPO 2015 ML350 (Nice), and I have them check my car. They quickly take it back and I see them immediately checking my car on the lift. When the SA comes back, She says she's not sure what's going on. The amount of oil missing from the jug I bought was the approximate amount of oil in the engine. There are no signs of leaks, so the possibilities are 1. The Engine is "eating" oil 2. The Service Tech never filled it properly before I took delivery. She said they are pulling the records to see which Tech performed the service for the CPO (sounds like this may have happened before).
She told me to keep an eye on it and monitor the oil level over the next few weeks. Should I be concerned about engine damage due to the low oil level?

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...c4fd2a0977.jpg

I would be really concern. My 2013 AMG E63 needs to add a quart of oil ( 0-40 mobile 1 European edition ) about every 2-3 months depending on the mileage I drive per month and that is normal for a E63. If you are driving for x amount of months on a empty oil tank, something is about to go wrong though I hope not.

Have the dealer you bought your CPO from check their record and if they did an oil change, you either have an leak or it wasn't topped off during the CPO process.

sleeperZ96BT 05-09-2017 08:59 AM

Maybe I am not understanding this, but didn't you say there was a drip on a paper towel, i.e. a leak?

How many miles on the car?

blegthbloo 05-09-2017 09:03 AM

Well that's no good. I had the same thing on mine, same situation. I plan on changing the oil soon anyway, so we'll see what I get out of it. My car's been in the shop for a month from a fender bender, so I'm hoping to get it back soon so I can do that.

jahquan3 05-09-2017 09:26 AM

That's very odd and I would be concerned. Just make sure you do your due diligence and document as much as you can now to save you a headache later.

On another note 96 degrees in early May....Must be nice lol

thefisch 05-09-2017 02:39 PM

Let's back up there. First, had you ever checked the oil level before this warning message? If so, what level did it show?

Now, how many quarts did you add when you stopped? And are they telling you that there was no other oil in the engine?

Have they drained it and measured how much they took out? I would get the oil level corrected and have them check for leaks. Then I would check it once a week until I saw no drop in level at all.

Hard to say any damage was done unless there are any obvious problems. They should check it over for you.

How long are you covered for?

raja777m 05-09-2017 02:52 PM

2008-2010 Acura TL SH-AWD models burn 1 quart of oil for every 1000miles, not all of them, but few of them.

Since, this is the first time, you need to keep an eye for next 1-2k miles.

In general, if you are running out of oil, just add any full synthetic, so, you can continue your ride. That is what I usually do. I did the same when I went for a ride with my buddies, and for some reason, I wanted to check the oil level before the ride and found out, the oil is burnt up, that was the only time it happened. Adding a quart of oil let me ride for the next 700 miles over the weekend. Once I came back from the ride, I changed the oil and filter, and wasn't able to replicate the issue again.

VegasE 05-09-2017 09:52 PM

Last time I had MB do my oil change, the check oil light came on about 300 miles later while on vacation in the middle of nowhere in the desert Southwest. Checked the dipstick - oil barely touching the bottom. No apparent leaks so the service tech obviously screwed up and I was pissed. Called the dealer to check on oil specs and then drove 20 miles to the nearest gas station. Added almost 2 quarts of synthetic which took the stick to full. When I returned from the trip, the dealer gave me another oil change (obviously free) and said my next one would be free too. Lesson - check your oil level immediately after service and monthly thereafter.

AkaSigFreak 05-09-2017 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by thefisch (Post 7142303)
Let's back up there. First, had you ever checked the oil level before this warning message? If so, what level did it show?

Now, how many quarts did you add when you stopped? And are they telling you that there was no other oil in the engine?

Have they drained it and measured how much they took out? I would get the oil level corrected and have them check for leaks. Then I would check it once a week until I saw no drop in level at all.

Hard to say any damage was done unless there are any obvious problems. They should check it over for you.

How long are you covered for?

This is exactly what they did and what I am doing. I'm ashamed to admit I have not checked the oil until I received the message. They way the SA made it sound- it was not topped off properly during the CPO process. My extended warranty is through December 2022.

AkaSigFreak 05-09-2017 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by sleeperZ96BT (Post 7141864)
Maybe I am not understanding this, but didn't you say there was a drip on a paper towel, i.e. a leak?

How many miles on the car?

The car has 27K miles. The small drop on the papertowel was from the dipstick.

thenew3 05-10-2017 01:12 AM

Not sure what year you have, but on my 2013 E350 with the M276 engine, the first time you pull dip stick it is bone dry. You have to re-insert the stick and pull again to get actual oil level.
Doesn't matter if car has been just driven or sitting over night. It always require a pull then insert and re-pull to register any oil. and always shows full on that 2nd pull.

AkaSigFreak 05-10-2017 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by thenew3 (Post 7142873)
Not sure what year you have, but on my 2013 E350 with the M276 engine, the first time you pull dip stick it is bone dry. You have to re-insert the stick and pull again to get actual oil level.
Doesn't matter if car has been just driven or sitting over night. It always require a pull then insert and re-pull to register any oil. and always shows full on that 2nd pull.

That's what I was hoping. I pulled and reinserted the dipstick probably 10 times thinking I was reading it wrong.

The G Man 05-10-2017 10:08 AM

Sounds like the tech did not put in enough oil, I would keep an eye on the oil level and make sure you don't have a leak or if the engine is burning oil. Keep an eye on the exhaust smoke's color, if it is blue, you are burning oil. I doubt it cause any engine damage, 1/4 inch on the dip stick is fine as long as it is in the safe zone of the dip stick. Even if it is a bit below the safe zone, it is still drive-able but should be refill ASAP. If you don't see any oil on the dip stick, then that is another story.