E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Items to make sure I get when picking up a car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-10-2017, 01:49 PM

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts
2014 E550 Black on Black
Items to make sure I get when picking up a car

Ok, 10 days and counting until I pick up my E550 What items should I make sure are included when I pick it up? So far I have this:

2 sets of keys
Owner's Manual
Floor Mats
Navigation system is already uploaded with the latest maps

Am I missing anything? Gonna try to convince them to give me a Mercedes Benz Polo shirt from the apparel store too
Old 05-10-2017, 02:36 PM

Received 62 Likes on 61 Posts
2013 E550 4Matic
I like the Mercedes magnetic pen with stylus (rubber tip) that I got... it's about the size of a finger I carry it in my jacket. I think it snaps into the armrest pen holder as well, but it's kinda heavy and falls out, hence why I just keep it in my jacket.

If you have KeylessGO, make sure the Start/Stop button cover is there. If it's pre-facelift and around 60k miles, ask for spark plug replacement, if they're doing other maintenance on it already (otherwise it can wait till the 60k service). It's a couple hour job and the pre-facelifts have a discontinued part number... the newer one is standard for all model years after the facelift. That's all I can think of. And congrats on the new ride!
Old 05-10-2017, 03:02 PM

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
2013 E550 Sedan
A full gas tank. Pen, and Key chains. Whatever bling you can talk them out of. A VMI would also be nice. Enjoy your new ride.
Old 05-10-2017, 03:27 PM

2014 E550 Black on Black
Originally Posted by blegthbloo
I like the Mercedes magnetic pen with stylus (rubber tip) that I got... it's about the size of a finger I carry it in my jacket. I think it snaps into the armrest pen holder as well, but it's kinda heavy and falls out, hence why I just keep it in my jacket.

If you have KeylessGO, make sure the Start/Stop button cover is there. If it's pre-facelift and around 60k miles, ask for spark plug replacement, if they're doing other maintenance on it already (otherwise it can wait till the 60k service). It's a couple hour job and the pre-facelifts have a discontinued part number... the newer one is standard for all model years after the facelift. That's all I can think of. And congrats on the new ride!
The car only has 21,500 miles on it so I think I am good with the spark plugs, the car does have KeylessGO and the Start/Stop button was there when I test drove it. I will see about the magnetic pen.
Old 05-10-2017, 03:27 PM

Received 62 Likes on 61 Posts
2013 E550 4Matic
Originally Posted by davidjohnbamber
A full gas tank. Pen, and Key chains. Whatever bling you can talk them out of. A VMI would also be nice. Enjoy your new ride.
Actually you make a good point. When I bought mine, they gave me all of their documents on the car, including: VMI, CarFax, Service records, original door sticker sheet, and everything else a dealer would have on the car. All electronic, so I can pull it up in my email at any time. A lot of useless information for the average layperson, but not bad to have.

edit: It also has CPO checklist and what it passed/failed on, so you also know what they changed during the CPO process.

Last edited by blegthbloo; 05-10-2017 at 03:32 PM.
Old 05-10-2017, 03:30 PM

2014 E550 Black on Black
Isn't it pretty much standard now and days to get a full tank? I know when I trade in my car it will be running on fumes

They have a pretty sweet merchandise section at this dealer (they are also an AMG dealer) so who knows what I will go after. I will also ask for the VMI.
Old 05-10-2017, 03:35 PM

2014 E550 Black on Black
Originally Posted by blegthbloo
Actually you make a good point. When I bought mine, they gave me all of their documents on the car, including: VMI, CarFax, Service records, original door sticker sheet, and everything else a dealer would have on the car. All electronic, so I can pull it up in my email at any time. A lot of useless information for the average layperson, but not bad to have.

edit: It also has CPO checklist and what it passed/failed on, so you also know what they changed during the CPO process.
I already have all this documentation electronically except the VMI. But like I stated the car only has 21,500 miles on it so other than routine oil changes, I don't think it has been in for much service. I will inquire.
Old 05-10-2017, 03:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts
2014 E350 4M Diamond Silver
Originally Posted by apg231
Ok, 10 days and counting until I pick up my E550 What items should I make sure are included when I pick it up? So far I have this:

2 sets of keys
Owner's Manual
Floor Mats
Navigation system is already uploaded with the latest maps

Am I missing anything? Gonna try to convince them to give me a Mercedes Benz Polo shirt from the apparel store too

Congrats, under warranty or over?
1. Get Cabin air and Engine air filters to new one, say, 'pollen season just over right'?
2. Tint, the darkest, according to state law.
3. 2 Full synthetic oil and filter changes for free. [Since it is merc. dealer, others need to chime in, whether they usually give 1 or can they give 2..!]
4. Get the batteries load tested, (and fully charged?!).
5. All-season weather floor mats.
6. Does your model have comfort box in the trunk? If yes and it is missing? make sure you get it.
7. Wheel nuts lock type? key the key for those nuts too.
8. Any cracks/blemishes on the wheels? Get it fixed before hand, to save a trip to the dealer like me.
9. Did they do a pre-sale inspection? Get that report too.
10. Hopefully, polished and waxed (usually 150$), and detailed interior/exterior.

All the old parts they have used to replace with the new ones.
Old 05-10-2017, 03:40 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E350
11. Full Tank of Gas
12. Polo Shirt
13. New Tires
Old 05-10-2017, 03:45 PM

2014 E550 Black on Black
Originally Posted by raja777m
Congrats, under warranty or over?
1. Get Cabin air and Engine air filters to new one, say, 'pollen season just over right'?
2. Tint, the darkest, according to state law.
3. 2 Full synthetic oil and filter changes for free. [Since it is merc. dealer, others need to chime in, whether they usually give 1 or can they give 2..!]
4. Get the batteries load tested, (and fully charged?!).
5. All-season weather floor mats.
6. Does your model have comfort box in the trunk? If yes and it is missing? make sure you get it.
7. Wheel nuts lock type? key the key for those nuts too.
8. Any cracks/blemishes on the wheels? Get it fixed before hand, to save a trip to the dealer like me.
9. Did they do a pre-sale inspection? Get that report too.
10. Hopefully, polished and waxed (usually 150$), and detailed interior/exterior.

All the old parts they have used to replace with the new ones.

1) Car is a CPO with 21,500 on the odometer
2) Buying car in NY, driving back to MA. Window tint is on my list of "to do"
3) See #1 (Car also came with 2 years pre-paid maintenance)
4) See #1
5) Gonna buy a set of WeatherTech this summer before winter hits
6) According to the build sheet it was not an option this car came with. I will be looking for one on EBay.
7) Good point, will make sure it's there if needed.
8) My inspection of the wheels didn't show any issues. Again CPO car.
9) Car was bought at this dealer new, and then traded in. CPO inspection was preformed.
10) Car is undergoing detail work this week.
Old 05-10-2017, 03:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 78 Posts
2010 E550 P2 w/AMG Sport Package + Pano, 2015 Nissan Pathfinder
I believe all of our models should come with a first aid kit in the trunk. If that is still the case make sure you get yours.
Old 05-10-2017, 04:02 PM

2014 E550 Black on Black
Originally Posted by jahquan3
I believe all of our models should come with a first aid kit in the trunk. If that is still the case make sure you get yours.
Another excellent point
Old 05-10-2017, 04:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by jahquan3
I didn't got it, well, I purchased the car from Nissan dealer, lol.

MB dealer asked me 35$(back-ordered) for one kit, I have 3 of those cloth(similar) zipper bags, close to OEM first aid kit, I can add many things for that 35$
Old 05-10-2017, 04:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 78 Posts
2010 E550 P2 w/AMG Sport Package + Pano, 2015 Nissan Pathfinder

MB dealer asked me 35$(back-ordered) for one kit, I have 3 of those cloth(similar) zipper bags, close to OEM first aid kit, I can add many things for that 35$
Lol. Don't feel bad I didn't get mines either. I didn't even know if came with one until almost a month later.
Old 05-10-2017, 05:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
First Aid kit

Lots of big box stores, such as Target, Wal-Mart, etc. sell first aid kits for about $5.00 that will have all you will probably ever need. Just remember where it is.
I have a kit in each of my cars and printed out labels to go on inside of glove box door: FIRST AID KIT IN TRUNK (or wherever). In MB, also placed a big label on the door in trunk to where the kit actually is.
Old 05-10-2017, 07:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,615 Likes on 1,186 Posts
2014 E550-sold 😩
They will sync up your phone and show you how to stream music. This is the critical!!
hey, enjoy!
Old 05-10-2017, 07:30 PM

2014 E550 Black on Black
Originally Posted by KEY08
They will sync up your phone and show you how to stream music. This is the critical!!
hey, enjoy!
I already synced my iPhone when we test drove the car last Saturday

Hope they don't do a "Factory Reset" of the Comand system when they are getting it ready. If so, at least I know how to do it again. That is the one positive thing about waiting 2 weeks to get my car. I have read the Owner's Manual cover to cover at least 6 times.
Old 05-10-2017, 07:39 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2013 E350 Bluetec, 2007 Corvette supercharged, Saab 9-5, Hyundai Genesis Sedan
I have had weathertech mats and find them of marginal quality. I did purchase OEM Mercedes mats on e-bay and found them wonderful. They were about the same $$ but a big difference in quality. Had the weathertech in my wife's genesis and also replaced them with OEM. Threw the weathertech away after about 2 yrs. In my opinion, over priced and of questionable quality. Don't waste your money.
Old 05-10-2017, 09:00 PM

2014 E550 Black on Black
Originally Posted by chipmjohnson
I have had weathertech mats and find them of marginal quality. I did purchase OEM Mercedes mats on e-bay and found them wonderful. They were about the same $$ but a big difference in quality. Had the weathertech in my wife's genesis and also replaced them with OEM. Threw the weathertech away after about 2 yrs. In my opinion, over priced and of questionable quality. Don't waste your money.
Good to know, thanks for the heads up. I am use to typical floor mats that lay flat. The reason I was looking at the WeatherTechs was because of the "tub" like feature they offer. I am looking for something that will trap the dirt in the summer and snow in the winter that we all accumulate on our shoes when we get into our cars. Do you have a link to the EBay site you bought your floor mats from?
Old 05-10-2017, 11:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,466 Likes on 1,147 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
I have the weather techs in my older W211. They do work for that tub like feature, but it's sorta lame that their label doesn't even stick to the mat. Fit is ok, but not completely perfect, a little loose so it's not super tight, but doesn't really move, just aesthetically the gaps show. On the other hand after winter they're easy to take out and clean. My w212 has the regular MB mats and they get dirty in the winter and a bit tougher to clean. That's about it.
Old 05-11-2017, 09:15 AM

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
2013 E550, 2014 GLK 350
I would try to get the VMI, but don't expect it. The reason being that they can be hesitant to hand it out with the PII on it from prior owner(s) and/or because they don't want you to see ALL the details of EVERY complaint on the car (which may worry you). Some will do it, no issues, others will stonewall you.
Old 05-11-2017, 04:17 PM

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
2013 E550 Sedan
VMI

Originally Posted by sleeperZ96BT
I would try to get the VMI, but don't expect it. The reason being that they can be hesitant to hand it out with the PII on it from prior owner(s) and/or because they don't want you to see ALL the details of EVERY complaint on the car (which may worry you). Some will do it, no issues, others will stonewall you.
Once M-B database is updated to show you as the owner, only the original date of sale, and selling dealer will appear on the VMI. If your dealer is hesitant there are forum members here who have access to the Motherships database, and could obtain one for your car.
The following users liked this post:
raja777m (05-11-2017)
Old 05-11-2017, 05:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Once M-B database is updated to show you as the owner, only the original date of sale, and selling dealer will appear on the VMI. If your dealer is hesitant there are forum members here who have access to the Motherships database, and could obtain one for your car.
I would love to get that info. for my vehicle.
Old 05-11-2017, 05:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BTW this car becomes nasty without the mud flaps.
The other day, there was a puddle of water on the road, where I need to turn. I made a right turn at 15mph and I saw water getting sprayed on my left side.
Also, the rear bumper gets splashed with mud water too..
I called the dealer and they quoted me 700$ for parts, color to match my car and labor.

eBay has it for ~$45 for aftermarket and $275 for OEM, hopefully I can do it on my own, without any drilling of holes.

See if you can add that package for a cheaper price, if others say it is worth the money.
Old 05-11-2017, 08:50 PM

2014 E550 Black on Black
BTW this car becomes nasty without the mud flaps.
The other day, there was a puddle of water on the road, where I need to turn. I made a right turn at 15mph and I saw water getting sprayed on my left side.
Also, the rear bumper gets splashed with mud water too..
I called the dealer and they quoted me 700$ for parts, color to match my car and labor.

eBay has it for ~$45 for aftermarket and $275 for OEM, hopefully I can do it on my own, without any drilling of holes.

See if you can add that package for a cheaper price, if others say it is worth the money.
I doubt they will add these on but I will definitely put those on my "to do list"

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Items to make sure I get when picking up a car