MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W212) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212-109/)
-   -   Was denied by MB dealer to update all software on MY2014 E550 (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212/667081-denied-mb-dealer-update-all-software-my2014-e550.html)

eLs13 05-19-2017 03:19 PM

Was denied by MB dealer to update all software on MY2014 E550

Was denied by MB dealer to update all software on MY2014 E550.

I asked to update command, sam, fuel, tcu and ecu and dealership denied me saying they only update if there is a problem even though I know I have an old version.

I even asked to update the nav maps which is 2013/2014 and the 2017 just came out. Site stated $249 but they wanted to charge me over $400 and was convincing me to dont bother with nav map updates.

This was MB dealership in White Plains NY.

Any other dealerships that can do what I ask in the NYC area?

raja777m 05-19-2017 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by eLs13 (Post 7153899)

I asked to update command, sam, fuel, tcu and ecu and dealership denied me saying they only update if there is a problem even though I know I have an old version.

I even asked to update the nav maps which is 2013/2014 and the 2017 just came out. Site stated $249 but they wanted to charge me over $400

really, is there a problem with the software or you just wanted to get the latest firmware for no reason, like me?

and was convincing me to dont bother with nav map updates.
I wouldn't bother for that price(249). even though I have 100$ off of 200 or more service coupon(google it, if you want that coupon).

With the tech on our smartphones or the Garmin Nuvi 1390 that is sitting around, I prefer to invest that money on a radar detector :). Each to his own.

Peachy 05-19-2017 03:34 PM

They probably don't want to update it in case something DOES go wrong and then you go blaming them, and then the games begin. I'm not saying you will, but that's probably their stance.

Good luck with your search though :B

tresean1 05-19-2017 03:45 PM

I even asked to update the nav maps which is 2013/2014 and the 2017 just came out. Site stated $249 but they wanted to charge me over $400 and was convincing me to dont bother with nav map updates.

Wow--I was thinking we had the exact same dealership, lol, until I read you were in NY. Funny, my dealership literally said the same thing to me when I asked...as if they are given a script to read from.

Originally Posted by raja777m (Post 7153911)
really, is there a problem with the software or you just wanted to get the latest firmware for no reason, like me?

how did you convince them to do it "for no reason"?

cetialpha5 05-19-2017 03:47 PM

You have to say the key words. I did get mine updated, but I told them I was having problems with bluetooth blanking out, keyless go not always responding etc. That's what they wrote up on the service order before doing the update. They have to have a reason for doing the update, they won't just do it. Basically that's what the service adviser told me to say in order for them to do the updates even though I was paying for it.

As for the updates, the cost might be $250, but they charge you an hour or two just to sit there and load it up for you. You might be able to load it yourself for the $250. But I'd check to see if you qualify for free updates, I thought at one point you got 3 years of free updates, but don't remember what year that kicked in.

raja777m 05-19-2017 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by tresean1 (Post 7153947)
Wow--I was thinking we had the exact same dealership, lol, until I read you were in NY. Funny, my dealership literally said the same thing to me when I asked...as if they are given a script to read from.

how did you convince them to do it "for no reason"?

I said some lies, lol.

I did search google, "common software problems with Command, mercedes". iPhones music streaming via bluetooth still skips intermittently, but not often, and it skips for all MB users anyway.

One example, the MB logo freezes up on the screen when startup. I need to restart the car or the radio(hold power button for 10 seconds).
And, remember I had the question about the rear parking sensor not detecting a wall, but detects bushes/plants in the parking lot, while backing. While, the issue didn't go, they thought it would be fixed by the Command update, but did not.

raja777m 05-19-2017 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by cetialpha5 (Post 7153949)
As for the updates, the cost might be $250, but they charge you an hour or two just to sit there and load it up for you. You might be able to load it yourself for the $250. But I'd check to see if you qualify for free updates, I thought at one point you got 3 years of free updates, but don't remember what year that kicked in.

3 year maps/nav updates are for 2015 and above vehicles I guess, based on the website.
http://mb.navigation.com/cms/page.MY...en_US/MBNA/USD

raja777m 05-19-2017 03:56 PM

They usually say 1-2hrs. try to score a loaner vehicle and get out of there, it usually takes time.

Also, once you get the vehicle, there is a chance, the Nav will reroute very late.
I set a path to home from dealer, just for fun, I took a different route and took interstate, and the Nav said, I'm off-road, and took few mins to reroute my path and give me new guidance. I took it back to him immediately, and he did something (fiddled with all the options and literally didn't change anything), and the issue is still there. the auto-reroute is a bit faster now.

^^ these are the problems Peachy is referring to.

kajtek1 05-19-2017 04:56 PM

Bare in mind all the mapping is done by Government and GPS producers just copy what is given to them.
Per my experience it takes about 6 years for new roads to show on database.
Experienced that on freeway 210 in California, where my new Street Atlas was showing me driving over desert for over 100 miles.
Check with local friend and freeway was open 6-7 years before, while the construction took some time as well.
Coming to pricing - all dealers are free to do a markup at their wish.
If they priced $250 at $400, that means they did not like you, or did not care.
I found friendly dealership that was selling me MB knobs for $162, while others got $290-400 quotes for the same thing. Retail was $180.

mertd93 09-28-2017 12:15 AM

I can do all software updates if you need locally.

eLs13 09-29-2017 03:29 PM

Sent you a reply on the software update part too as well... thanks

NickTH 10-04-2017 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by raja777m (Post 7153958)
3 year maps/nav updates are for 2015 and above vehicles I guess, based on the website.
http://mb.navigation.com/cms/page.MY...en_US/MBNA/USD

Great!
Thanks for the info, we didn't know that.

So let's say we bought 2015 E400 in May 2015, we have until April 2018 to get latest nav updated at the dealer?
When do they notify me, or where can I get info on latest update avail?

Thanks,