E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Three cool things my 2015 E350 does that I didn't know about

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-01-2017, 04:18 PM

Received 136 Likes on 125 Posts
W212 E-class, W211 E-class, F10 5-Series
Originally Posted by thenew3
I find the IR works over longer distance than RF. But you have to aim it at the driver door handle (there's a small window on the end of the door handle where the IR receiver is).

On older MB's, they used to have this sensor on both driver side and passenger side so you could do it from either side. I guess cost cutting lead them to removing it from the passenger side.

On my wife's BMW, using the RF key to lower/raise windows only works from about 15 ft away.

on my MB, I've done it from 50+ ft away if I point the key at the drivers door and have direct line of sight.
technically since it uses the same RF frequency as the lock/unlock feature, the remote window roll down function should work much farther than 15ft. Perhaps your batteries were going dead?

I have never had 50ft of direct-line-of-sight to my Mercedes, so I've never tried that. Where were you at, a desert?
Originally Posted by blegthbloo
That's one I'll have to try... currently I have it set to unlock all doors all the time because sometimes I open the door for my lady (someone said something about being a gentleman?), or otherwise it could be raining and she's running ahead to get in the car and I'll grab the closest handle to unlock it for her while I keep strolling around at my normal pace. But 90% of the time I'm driving by myself, so I have no need to unlock all of the doors all the time.

As for the "Summer Open" feature, it would be nice to be able to do that without pulling your keys out of your pocket (if you have KeylessGO)... like a long hold of the inside of the handle... not sure of a better way than that. I used it a lot on my Honda(s) back in the day and it was a nice feature... but I didn't have keyless start on those cars, so I'd already have the key in hand on approach anyway. Can I just laser my thoughts to the car so it knows what I want it to do as soon as I look at it? It's 2017... come on, MB...
I have had the weird thing happen a few times on my W211 where grabbing the inside of the door handle began to lower my windows and open the sunroof. But I was startled and let go of it both times. So I don't know if it was a hidden feature or a fluke.

Maybe someone can try to replicate it, maybe it's a certain way you have to hold the handle?

Another cool feature:
I do know for a fact, on both BMW and MB, that pushing the 'lock button' on the outside of the door handles and holding it---will close the sunroof and raise the windows.
Old 06-01-2017, 04:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts
2014 E350 4M Diamond Silver

As for the "Summer Open" feature, it would be nice to be able to do that without pulling your keys out of your pocket (if you have KeylessGO)... like a long hold of the inside of the handle... not sure of a better way than that. I used it a lot on my Honda(s) back in the day and it was a nice feature... but I didn't have keyless start on those cars, so I'd already have the key in hand on approach anyway.
Originally Posted by tresean1
Another cool feature:
I do know for a fact, on both BMW and MB, that pushing the 'lock button' on the outside of the door handles and holding it---will close the sunroof and raise the windows.
I'll try these two in combination, today and test it out
Old 06-01-2017, 09:52 PM

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts
2014 E550 Black on Black
That's one I'll have to try... currently I have it set to unlock all doors all the time because sometimes I open the door for my lady (someone said something about being a gentleman?), or otherwise it could be raining and she's running ahead to get in the car and I'll grab the closest handle to unlock it for her while I keep strolling around at my normal pace. But 90% of the time I'm driving by myself, so I have no need to unlock all of the doors all the time.

As for the "Summer Open" feature, it would be nice to be able to do that without pulling your keys out of your pocket (if you have KeylessGO)... like a long hold of the inside of the handle... not sure of a better way than that. I used it a lot on my Honda(s) back in the day and it was a nice feature... but I didn't have keyless start on those cars, so I'd already have the key in hand on approach anyway. Can I just laser my thoughts to the car so it knows what I want it to do as soon as I look at it? It's 2017... come on, MB...
I believe if you press and hold the little square on the front face of the door handle it will do the same as holding the lock/unlock button on the remote. Gonna test it tomorrow at work.
The following users liked this post:
raja777m (06-01-2017)
Old 06-01-2017, 09:58 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
E350
Whoever developed the Command interface should be shot. I can make a phone call on my android phone with one phrase. Call Uncle Spankys Pleasure Palace. In my car it's multiple commands.

Same with Google maps, take me to Taco King on Main St. Try that with Navi
raja777m (06-01-2017)
Old 06-01-2017, 10:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ysr_racer
Whoever developed the Command interface should be shot. I can make a phone call on my android phone with one phrase. Call Uncle Spankys Pleasure Palace. In my car it's multiple commands.

Same with Google maps, take me to Taco King on Main St. Try that with Navi
Even Siri does respond well to "Take me Home", same with Google Now.
Old 06-01-2017, 10:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

As for the "Summer Open" feature, it would be nice to be able to do that without pulling your keys out of your pocket (if you have KeylessGO)... like a long hold of the inside of the handle... not sure of a better way than that. I used it a lot on my Honda(s) back in the day and it was a nice feature... but I didn't have keyless start on those cars, so I'd already have the key in hand on approach anyway.
Another cool feature:
I tried this.
It did not open the windows, but press and hold the lock button on the door-handle (outside) rolled up the windows and the sun roof
I know for any (most of the cars) car, just insert the key(into the door-handle), put it in lock position for more than 4 seconds and it'll roll up the windows.
Old 06-01-2017, 10:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hey TreSean, here is the video/feature I was talking earlier.
The car shouldn't give up on you, instead, it should bring it to a complete stop.

What if, in case of the driver lost consciousness in the before the turn, like in the video.
If the driver (me) was really unconscious in the video, the next thing would be a T-bone or a head on collision with the on-coming traffic (couldn't show you in the video, but, actually there is on-coming traffic right after I held the steering wheel).

This can be included in a firmware upgrade, as all the necessary hardware is already there.

I can do a better video, once my camera mount gets delivered. I can use that suction style to the moon roof.

3:12 (Active Emergency Stop Assist)

Even in the demo animated video, if the vehicle doesn't come to a stop, it'll just drive into the field

Last edited by raja777m; 06-01-2017 at 10:35 PM.
Old 06-01-2017, 10:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,379 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
I actually like ECO as we live 4 miles from the freeway and even that is 6-lanes 45 mph street, the stop lights and traffic make the 4 miles 15-20 minute drive.
ECO will stop on those long waits and AC keeps blowing cold (I have to test it some time for how long).
Somewhere is info that ECO is using cylinder ignition with combination of starter to make it quick and long lasting feature. My BLUETEC is at 170k miles and so far it works perfect.
Got the accident warning few times in "normal" city driving
Old 06-01-2017, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by apg231
I believe if you press and hold the little square on the front face of the door handle it will do the same as holding the lock/unlock button on the remote. Gonna test it tomorrow at work.
This is something I suggested a few posts above (to roll up windows using Keyless Go and door handle). I believe Raja777m tried to lower windows (in post below, to no avail)
Originally Posted by raja777m
I tried this.
It did not open the windows, but press and hold the lock button on the door-handle (outside) rolled up the windows and the sun roof
Awesome, glad it worked for you!
Hey TreSean, here is the video/feature I was talking earlier.
The car shouldn't give up on you, instead, it should bring it to a complete stop.

What if, in case of the driver lost consciousness in the before the turn, like in the video.
If the driver (me) was really unconscious in the video, the next thing would be a T-bone or a head on collision with the on-coming traffic (couldn't show you in the video, but, actually there is on-coming traffic right after I held the steering wheel).

This can be included in a firmware upgrade, as all the necessary hardware is already there.

https://youtu.be/PqKw_dkvDIE
I can do a better video, once my camera mount gets delivered. I can use that suction style to the moon roof.

3:12 (Active Emergency Stop Assist)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjWaT2t4nY4

Even in the demo animated video, if the vehicle doesn't come to a stop, it'll just drive into the field
Wow! Your Distrionic lets you have hands off steering wheel for 25+ seconds before it gives the warning??
Mine will barely elapse 10 seconds before it gives the warning!!!
Old 06-02-2017, 07:33 AM

Received 62 Likes on 61 Posts
2013 E550 4Matic
I tried this.
I know for any (most of the cars) car, just insert the key(into the door-handle), put it in lock position for more than 4 seconds and it'll roll up the windows.
I said it would be nice if the windows would roll down by touching the handles... but cool that they roll up for you I guess... not as useful to me though lol
Old 06-02-2017, 07:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I said it would be nice if the windows would roll down by touching the handles...
Basically, if you have keyless go package, just point the remote, press and hold the unlock button; it should roll down the windows, no need to stand next to the car or touch the car even.

Another feature I like, without spending much money, is to remote start the car.
On a super hot day, you roll down all the windows and remote start the vehicle to cool down or just used it while putting on your shoes, when you have a cold start, saving you to wait for few seconds for the idle to come down. Wearing seatbelt takes less than 5seconds anyway, and sunglasses for additional 3seconds.
Old 06-02-2017, 07:47 AM

2013 E550 4Matic
My point was, if you have KeylessGO, there should be no reason to have the key in your hand in the first place. Mine stays in my pocket 99% of the time. The other 1% is when I'm changing pants.
Old 06-02-2017, 07:52 AM

Basically, if you have keyless go package, just point the remote, press and hold the unlock button; it should roll down the windows, no need to stand next to the car or touch the car even.
You can do this, without Keyless Go.
My point was, if you have KeylessGO, there should be no reason to have the key in your hand in the first place. Mine stays in my pocket 99% of the time. The other 1% is when I'm changing pants.
Very true.
raja777m (06-02-2017)
Old 06-02-2017, 09:53 PM

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
2013 E550 Sedan
Yep. IMO, quite possibly one of worst/stupidest features of the car. Just be glad you don't the get the scare-your-freaking-heart-out-of-your-chest GONG that BMW gives!

What % tint did you get. Post some pics!
If you look at your shifter icons you will get a gray arrow pointing up if you can engage park/reverse/neutral when in drive under 3 mph IIRC.
Old 06-03-2017, 01:14 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
2012 E63S Wagon, 2005 E500
My 2012 rolls down the Windows, opens the sunroof and turns on the cooled driver's seat with the door handle.

You have to push the button on handle, then grab the handle and pull out on handle.... Or something like that.
Old 06-03-2017, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Silverp30wagon
My 2012 rolls down the Windows, opens the sunroof and turns on the cooled driver's seat with the door handle.

You have to push the button on handle, then grab the handle and pull out on handle.... Or something like that.

[Url]
tresean1 (06-03-2017)
Old 06-03-2017, 01:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

So, to roll up and close/lock everything, it is press and hold the square area on the handles; and it is press and pull the handle to lock the car, but rolls down all the windows. Cool
Old 06-03-2017, 09:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

for anyone who wants selective locking of the doors, for keyless GO.
enjoy
jahquan3 (06-05-2017)
Old 06-03-2017, 09:56 PM

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
2014 E350
Originally Posted by apg231
On a hot day, stand about 2-3' from your drivers door and aim your key fob at the door handle. Press and hold the unlock button and all your windows will roll down, the sunroof will open and if you have ventilated front seats, they will come on too. Same goes locking the vehicle. Press and hold lock and all the windows and sunroof will close and the vehicle will lock.
met my if laws for dinner tonight, they got a 2015 SL400 about the same time we got our E. They loved the window roll down trick and weren't aware of it so this post has been great for two new owners. Thanks!
Old 06-03-2017, 11:08 PM

Yes, the 'Summer Open' feature, I think they have been calling it that since the 90's...they may have renamed it now. Only gripe I have with it is that I wish you could do it from a distance, like BMW and Lexus...Mercedes uses IR for the feature so you have to be in proximity.
Ok, I sorta rescind this statement...
I find the IR works over longer distance than RF. But you have to aim it at the driver door handle (there's a small window on the end of the door handle where the IR receiver is).

On older MB's, they used to have this sensor on both driver side and passenger side so you could do it from either side. I guess cost cutting lead them to removing it from the passenger side.

on my MB, I've done it from 50+ ft away if I point the key at the drivers door and have direct line of sight.
Ok, I just tested this a few minutes ago. I was able to open and close the windows/sunroof from my garage door without aiming the key at the driver's door, and without even pointing the key at the car. Pretty cool, I did not know they enhanced this feature/capability on the new Benzes!
On my wife's BMW, using the RF key to lower/raise windows only works from about 15 ft away.
technically since it uses the same RF frequency as the lock/unlock feature, the remote window roll down function should work much farther than 15ft.
So I tested this last week in my parking garage...I was at least 50 ft from my Bimmer, and I was able to unlock/lock doors and open/close windows, without aiming the key at the car

I just tried this, and I couldn't get it to work...nothing happened.
Old 06-03-2017, 11:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

[QUOTE=tresean1;7169311]
So I tested this last week in my parking garage...I was at least 50 ft from my Bimmer, and I was able to unlock/lock doors and open/close windows, without aiming the key at the car \
[quote]
If you want to extend the range, just put your key against your head, trust me, it works, same as a jar of water.
10:35. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDQ0KkATLZs

https://youtu.be/maNHJbL5QSw
It didn't work for me either.

Last edited by raja777m; 06-03-2017 at 11:17 PM.
Old 06-04-2017, 12:37 AM

Ok, I also rescind this statement...lol
It was bothering me so I went out there and tried this again, voila it worked! It's a very precise way you have to hold the handle
Thanks to silverp30 for the suggestion
Old 06-04-2017, 12:48 AM

Ok, I also rescind this statement...lol
It was bothering me so I went out there and tried this again, voila it worked! It's a very precise way you have to hold the handle
https://youtu.be/maNHJbL5QSw
Thanks to silverp30 for the suggestion
Glad you got it to work. I can try five times and get it right three. Ha ha
That's why I shot the video because it's very picky. I wasn't going to argue with you over it and chose to not reply so I'm glad you got it.
Old 06-05-2017, 08:32 AM

2013 E550 4Matic
Sweet... something to try when I leave work today. Thanks for the video!
Old 06-05-2017, 09:46 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
E350
My car appears to have an air conditioning vent complete with on/off dial in the glove box, but no on/off switch for the radio

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Three cool things my 2015 E350 does that I didn't know about