E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Big Purchase in a few,please help! GS 350 Lexus vs ES350 MB

Old 06-14-2017, 10:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 256 Likes on 202 Posts
2019 E300
Originally Posted by raja777m
Looks like she got the base model Lexus for $32k over Merc with Distronic Plus and KeyLess go, with a wonderful combination of exterior and interior(personal preference) for $27k or less.

I'm not sure whether the MB has Parktronic but, I see some marking on the cruise control knob, which suggests it has Adaptive Cruise Control(Distronic Plus).

@OP, even though you triggered most of us, congratulations on your new car and you're always welcome here when the Lexus gives up on you, even if it doesn't

Lexus is car of choice for new buyers of luxury cars, they have a lower maintenance cost and new luxury car buyers are more easily influence by the over the top Lexus dealership experience. What most unexperience buyer do not know is that the difference is not what you can see, it is what you cannot see. An good example is that Japanese luxury cars use mostly recycle metal for their cars where as Mercedes use mostly virgin steel. Where a Japanese luxury car might use stamped steel for its suspension parts, German luxury cars will use a cast metal part, the list goes on and on. On the Lexus, you will read how much more reliable Lexus is compare to its German counterparts, but the truth is that the gap is closing everyday, as of now, its pretty damn close.
The following users liked this post:
raja777m (06-14-2017)
Old 06-14-2017, 11:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 78 Posts
2010 E550 P2 w/AMG Sport Package + Pano, 2015 Nissan Pathfinder
We've been dumped without even a break up text....LOL JK I hope she enjoys the new ride.
raja777m (06-14-2017)
Old 06-14-2017, 11:38 AM

Received 136 Likes on 125 Posts
W212 E-class, W211 E-class, F10 5-Series
Originally Posted by jahquan3
We've been dumped without even a break up text....LOL JK I hope she enjoys the new ride.
In the words of Arnold Schwarzenegger: "She'll be back!"
Old 06-16-2017, 08:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
2014 E350 4Matic
Originally Posted by tresean1
Yeah, she did take us for a loop and get us all riled up...lol.
I don't think the MB had Parktronic or Distronic (if you look at the star in the grille, you can see it is 3D and not flat). But hope the OP is happy with her purchase, for now. In 3 years, she'll realize how dated the Lexus looks, and she'll be looking to buy a timeless Mercedes. :-)

I concur; my '98 W202 had almost 200k miles on when I sold it, and it was still kicking as strong as ever.
Same here, I kept my seriously modded '05 C55 AMG for ten years and 180k miles before I decided to sell it. Running and driving fine the day it was sold, no major work was required (just cosmetic), but I wasn't sure how long that would last.
Old 06-16-2017, 11:36 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
GLE, SLC
Looks like we will never hear from the OP again. Just thought I'd weigh in though as both a Lexus and MB owner since it's something I think about myself.

I work in consulting engineering, my experience is that Japanese companies in general (and Toyota especially) are process driven so there is a high level of focus on refinement and improvement. Lexus reliability comes from manufacturing millions of vehicles and recycling parts throughout its lines, gradually quashing the bugs by the time they make it into their top models. The cars thus tend to be very conservative and date quickly (bland) but are extremely dependable (boring). (GS/IS are probably the least reliable and most exciting normal Lexus for a reason.)

The Germans tend to focus their engineering more on design and innovation, which immediately go to their top end models. The typical result is something that looks, performs, and handles better. The flipside is that the bugs are controlled only at the end of a model generation, so the consumer has to more often than not literally pay the price. (Embarrassing what stuff breaks/leaks on what is the most reliable Euro marque).

Since about 2009, the gaps are closing on both ends (especially since both are relying on NA supply chain for better or worse). Still though the engineering philosophies are inescapable, the Lexus will generally be more reliable than a MB, will cost significantly less to maintain on a budget, and will get you from A-B with more amenities at base with a better price point and depreciation. The Mercedes is superior in handling, performance, and safety as long as it is well equipped and you are willing to pay the TCO, also it consistently looks better.

Aside from that is the dealer experience. Frankly IMHO not any of the MB dealers in the Northeast or Midwest can hold a candle to a Lexus dealer. (I have been to quite a few and all the MB dealers I feel sooner or later leave you more often than not a little disgusted.)

Full disclosure. My family still owns our 98 Lexus ES300 now at 320K. Leather quality is better even than on my 16 E350. No rust, no leaks, always starts, and impressive base options, average $100 on maintenance a year. You can forget about an E/C of that era or even today being anywhere close to that on quality. That being said all our newer cars are MB.

Last edited by bluegene; 06-16-2017 at 11:45 PM.
Old 06-17-2017, 12:08 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2019 MB E300
I extensively test drove 2016 GS 350 F sport before leasing E350. In my mind GS handled better with substantially better steering feel. However, IMHO, E looks much much better both outside and inside (GS' F sport seats were really nice though). GS' mouse like controller is truly annoying; my wife's ES350 has it too. Anyway, at the end I was offered a lease on E I couldn't refuse. No regret on not getting GS.
Old 06-17-2017, 05:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mercedes c250
Originally Posted by jahquan3
😂😂sorry guys! I thought I gave you an update. I went with the GS 350 and I've attached some pics below. I've driven a MB for 4 years (bought new) and my parents have driven Lexus for the past 10 years. From our experience both cars are great and realiable. Neither will leave you stranded after a few miles just because. So either choice I went with would have been a win. I mean come on they're great cars, it just comes down to preference. After writing down pros and cons, the Lexus outweighed the MB in my opinion so I got it! I've enjoyed every single moment of driving it so far and after sitting in the MB after making my decision I feel as though I definitely made the right choice.

But thank you so much for all your tips, I truly appreciate it 😃
jahquan3 (06-19-2017)
Old 06-17-2017, 05:43 AM

mercedes c250
Originally Posted by berman2921
I extensively test drove 2016 GS 350 F sport before leasing E350. In my mind GS handled better with substantially better steering feel. However, IMHO, E looks much much better both outside and inside (GS' F sport seats were really nice though). GS' mouse like controller is truly annoying; my wife's ES350 has it too. Anyway, at the end I was offered a lease on E I couldn't refuse. No regret on not getting GS.
Thanks for you input! The E350 was just extremely too basic on the inside. The outside was amazing and it rode well but the Lexus did that and more for me. I drove a14' C250 for 4 years before my purchase and the cabin area in the E350 literally is identical with a few changes. I would basically be driving the same car with bigger space and different color wheels. I wanted a new experience. Maybe after 5-7 years I'll get the e350 because the 2017 interior is was you call a CAR I can only imagine what the next years will look like (if they don't decide to keep it the same )
Old 06-17-2017, 05:52 AM

mercedes c250
Originally Posted by bluegene
Looks like we will never hear from the OP again. Just thought I'd weigh in though as both a Lexus and MB owner since it's something I think about myself.

I work in consulting engineering, my experience is that Japanese companies in general (and Toyota especially) are process driven so there is a high level of focus on refinement and improvement. Lexus jreliability comes from manufacturing millions of the vehicles and recycling parts throughout its lines, gradually quashing the bugs by the time they make it into their top models. The cars thus tend to be very conservative and date quickly (bland) but are extremely dependable (boring). (GS/IS are probably the least reliable and most exciting normal Lexus for a reason.)

The Germans tend to focus their engineering more on design and innovation, which immediately go to their top end models. The typical result is something that looks, performs, and handles better. The flipside is that the bugs are controlled only at the end of a model generation, so the consumer has to more often than not literally pay the price. (Embarrassing what stuff breaks/leaks on what is the most reliable Euro marque).

Since about 2009, the gaps are closing on both ends (especially since both are relying on NA supply chain for better or worse). Still though the engineering philosophies are inescapable, the Lexus will generally be more reliable than a MB, will cost significantly less to maintain on a budget, and will get you from A-B with more amenities at base with a better price point and depreciation. The Mercedes is superior in handling, performance, and safety as long as it is well equipped and you are willing to pay the TCO, also it consistently looks better.

Aside from that is the dealer experience. Frankly IMHO not any of the MB dealers in the Northeast or Midwest can hold a candle to a Lexus dealer. (I have been to quite a few and all the MB dealers I feel sooner or later leave you more often than not a little disgusted.)

Full disclosure. My family still owns our 98 Lexus ES300 now at 320K. Leather quality is better even than on my 16 E350. No rust, no leaks, always starts, and impressive base options, average $100 on maintenance a year. You can forget about an E/C of that era or even today being anywhere close to that on quality. That being said all our newer cars are MB.
I'm back! Lol thanks for your feedback. I decided to go with the gs350 and don't regret it one bit. I've had my Mercedes for 4 years and after about 2 years, when it would get just a little chilly outside my car wouldn't want to start. I would push start and it would shake.. a few minutes later it would then decide to cut on. Also, just this year there's been multiple times where I would power on my car and it would hesitate and shut off. So reliability was important for me and I didn't want to do that again so sooon. Also the MB interior fails in comparison to the Lexus.
Old 06-17-2017, 05:57 AM

mercedes c250
looks like the salesman won

I'll see what Lexus owners have their opinion on Merc.
lol no I won. He honestly didn't SELL me, I did my due dillgence with research and comparisons according to my preferences and decided on the GS350. I didn't mention it earlier but I've driven a MB for 4 years fresh off the lot and I've had my woes with it after 2/3 years in. So I've had a taste of the MB world n enjoyed it but wanted a new experience. Seriously couldn't go wrong with either decision.
Old 06-17-2017, 06:07 AM

mercedes c250
Looks like she got the base model Lexus for $32k over Merc with Distronic Plus and KeyLess go, with a wonderful combination of exterior and interior(personal preference) for $27k or less.

I'm not sure whether the MB has Parktronic but, I see some marking on the cruise control knob, which suggests it has Adaptive Cruise Control(Distronic Plus).

@OP, even though you triggered most of us, congratulations on your new car and you're always welcome here when the Lexus gives up on you, even if it doesn't
Thanks so much for all of the feedback! I appreciate it all. The Lexus wasn't the base model just an FYI. To put it in perspective here's was the MB offered that the Lexus did not: a panaramic roof. Here's what the Lexus offered that the MB did no:t 3 driving modes, red interior, parking assistance (sensors in front AND back), much better sound system omg lol, HD sound option, AC/Heated Seats, auto mirror folding, notification of miles til empty..and on top of it all, it's realible. I don't regret my choice one bit after doing much research. The MB was so nice on the eye but I could get over the basic interior. My next purchase maybe a MB since the insides are 10x better finally in the 2016 E350. So we'll see in about 6 years 😃 But I couldn't go wrong with either one, it simply fell on preference
Old 06-17-2017, 06:13 AM

mercedes c250
Originally Posted by mrmotoguzzi00
Really Curious to see where Carla goes

Lexus dealer in NH was so so, yes Toyota loaners... MB in NH was just awful.

MB in Sarasota FL has been excellent so far, been there with both cars, always got a MB loaner... E class...

True measure was when the detailer's damaged a rim on the 2015 E550 Cab, it was 3 month's old... I noticed it but didn't say anything because i wasn't sure where it happened, next time i took pics and had a service guy look before it went over... sure enough more damage...

There where not thrilled but had agreed it happened there and both rims where repaired... they also replaced the rub rails on the car wash...

Since then we have had maintenance done and a few things taken care of on the ML and everyone is friendly and respectful...

but you are right not all the dealers are the same....

Let us know what ya decide Carla

Mike
Hi Mike, I chose the GS350 and I don't feel buyers remorse once but lol. After doing a head to head comparison I'd seriously be crazy not to go with the Lexus! It's pretty awesome so far 😃
Old 06-17-2017, 03:26 PM

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
2011 E350, 2015 E350 Sport
Smile Choices

Originally Posted by lakepop
I gotta go with the Lexus.......love the interior......which is where you will live. BUT both are very good choices ...good luck !
OK......as i said the interior won me over. Its your living room for a lot of your driving time. I also agree however that either would have been a good choice.
Carla......enjoy !