LED humming noise?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 10:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 617 Likes on 388 Posts
2014 E350 4-matic Sport & 2020 GLS450
LED humming noise?

Hey guys, I remember reading somewhere on here of someone posting up about a humming noise coming from the front of their car while the engine was off. The humming noise would continue for hours until they locked the car doors, then it would stop shortly there after.

I believe it was diagnosed from a few posters as fans to cool the LED lights (I too have the LED lighting package). But I am not sure if that was spot-on or not, and can't put my eyes on that thread anymore.

Attached is a video I took this evening of my 2014. At this point it has been sitting in my garage for about 4 hours. I went out to grab something from the car, and once I opened the passenger side door, the noise started up and has been going for the past 30 minutes. I've not started the car in any way, just opened the door to grab by bag.

You can hear the humming noise the best towards the end when I put the phone up to the front grill. It's a faint but high-pitched whining sound.

Is this normal? Why only when the doors are unlocked? It is kind've annoying to listen too when I'm in the garage (it's louder in person). A little concerned that it'll drain the battery, or accelerate the wear & tear of something if left running all the time. I typically don't lock my car when it's in my garage.

As always, many Thanks!!!
Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_8237.MOV (3.35 MB, 304 views)
Old 07-11-2017, 11:43 PM

Received 136 Likes on 125 Posts
W212 E-class, W211 E-class, F10 5-Series
Originally Posted by nc211
Hey guys, I remember reading somewhere on here of someone posting up about a humming noise coming from the front of their car while the engine was off. The humming noise would continue for hours until they locked the car doors, then it would stop shortly there after.

I believe it was diagnosed from a few posters as fans to cool the LED lights (I too have the LED lighting package). But I am not sure if that was spot-on or not, and can't put my eyes on that thread anymore.

Attached is a video I took this evening of my 2014. At this point it has been sitting in my garage for about 4 hours. I went out to grab something from the car, and once I opened the passenger side door, the noise started up and has been going for the past 30 minutes. I've not started the car in any way, just opened the door to grab by bag.

You can hear the humming noise the best towards the end when I put the phone up to the front grill. It's a faint but high-pitched whining sound.

Is this normal? Why only when the doors are unlocked? It is kind've annoying to listen too when I'm in the garage (it's louder in person). A little concerned that it'll drain the battery, or accelerate the wear & tear of something if left running all the time. I typically don't lock my car when it's in my garage.

As always, many Thanks!!!
I have the same questions as you
Old 07-11-2017, 11:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600
The parking lights come on when you open the door, so the fans come on. If the temps aren't low enough and the car is still "awake", the fans will run.

Why not lock your car? It's designed to be shut down and locked, at which point the systems start shutting off.

Are you using keyless go? If it's seen a door open and a key is nearby it stays partially alive waiting for a start signal, it assumes you are in the car. Now if you lock the car, it will go into standby and shut down the CAN and most modules, until the unlock signal is sent again via the remote or through the keyless go system.
Old 07-12-2017, 12:35 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2014 E350
Mine does the same thing. Funny thing is, it never seemed to run as long until I took to dealership to fix a few random items. After I picked it up the fans seemed to run for hours on end unless I locked the car. I wonder if they've been having overheating issues and they updated the firmware to run them longer after car is off? Now I just lock the car more often (garage kept). Next time I take car in I'll ask SA if any change was made.
Old 07-12-2017, 09:42 AM

Received 136 Likes on 125 Posts
W212 E-class, W211 E-class, F10 5-Series
Originally Posted by ItalianJoe1
The parking lights come on when you open the door, so the fans come on. If the temps aren't low enough and the car is still "awake", the fans will run.

Why not lock your car? It's designed to be shut down and locked, at which point the systems start shutting off.

Are you using keyless go? If it's seen a door open and a key is nearby it stays partially alive waiting for a start signal, it assumes you are in the car. Now if you lock the car, it will go into standby and shut down the CAN and most modules, until the unlock signal is sent again via the remote or through the keyless go system.
This makes sense, as I have Keyless Go too--so I guess the car is always on standby. It's a hassle (or rather, redundant) to lock the car, since it's in the garage...but I have to lock my BMW to "shut down" all the systems too, so I just got used to it.
Old 07-12-2017, 11:19 PM

Received 182 Likes on 138 Posts
2021 E63s, 2018 GLC43, 2014 E63
Originally Posted by timannnn
Mine does the same thing. Funny thing is, it never seemed to run as long until I took to dealership to fix a few random items. After I picked it up the fans seemed to run for hours on end unless I locked the car.
Same exact thing with my car. Fans used to run for just a few minutes after engine turned off and doors kept unlocked, then after visit to dealer it can go up to about 45 min (depending on ambient temp) unless door is locked. I just leave it alone with the doors unlocked after parking in the garage and let it do whatever it wants. Battery has been fine after 2 weeks of not using car.

I don't lock my car in the garage because I have to carry work things (ID, bags, etc) between cars when I decide which car to drive.

Last edited by taphil; 07-12-2017 at 11:24 PM.
Old 07-13-2017, 12:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600
The cars we're talking about here all have auxiliary batteries and current monitors on the main battery, with very heavily monitored energy flow. The fans draw very little power, they are quite tiny. If there was any danger of the battery getting pulled down the car would start to turn off consumers. The power systems logic is to always preserve the ability to start the car, and as long as the battery is reasonably healthy, it will do that. The slight drain and re-charge of the battery can actually be good for it in the long run.
The following users liked this post:
KEY08 (07-13-2017)
Old 07-13-2017, 08:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 617 Likes on 388 Posts
2014 E350 4-matic Sport & 2020 GLS450
Perfect, thanks everyone! Sounds like MB might've had a reason to increase the amount of time they run via the software update. Sounds good to me! A little annoying sometimes, but also a little cool too! "What's that sound? Oh that's my Mercedes keeping the flux capacitor charged for the 1.21 jigawatts". "What the heck is a jigawatt?"