Takata Airbag recalls and Bankruptcy

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-06-2017, 11:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600
Originally Posted by mbzusr
I am so with you on this point! I'm searching the forums now for replacement steering wheels to buy on my own. Through observation, I think that at issue were the old designs that allowed for lots of custom bag and cover shapes in the steering wheel. Look at ANY new car being sold today, and they all have a small circular, or at best, small oval or small parallelogram shaped horn/bag area that do not extend along with the steering spokes like I have on my 2011 GLK 350.
The new updated airbags aren't available for sale. If you buy one one ebay, it's still one that needs to be replaced.

If you change the steering wheel, the airbag remains the same. We change only the airbag unit.

The issue is the lack of desiccant in the inflator fuel that can cause it to harden when moisture intrudes, and rather than a slow burn, it explodes, causing potential metal fragments from it's housing to fly out and injure occupants. This is the issue. Don't guess at it, do your research. Has nothing to do with the shape of the wheel/airbag.
The following users liked this post:
davidjohnbamber (09-06-2017)
Old 09-07-2017, 07:13 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
GLK 350, 300ce
Originally Posted by ItalianJoe1
The new updated airbags aren't available for sale. If you buy one one ebay, it's still one that needs to be replaced.

If you change the steering wheel, the airbag remains the same. We change only the airbag unit.

The issue is the lack of desiccant in the inflator fuel that can cause it to harden when moisture intrudes, and rather than a slow burn, it explodes, causing potential metal fragments from it's housing to fly out and injure occupants. This is the issue. Don't guess at it, do your research. Has nothing to do with the shape of the wheel/airbag.
If I buy a 2017 W### or X### steering wheel on ebay, it needs to be replaced? How can you tell?

My observation of the shape is only for recognition of probable "older" Takata based systems. Mercedes, Volvo, Porsche, BMW and others are all now using a similar sized and shaped airbag.
The differences between 2011 and any 2017/18 model from the above manufacturers is apparent. Is that a coincidence in design or a sign that there is a new manufacturer being sourced for safety and or liability?

I'm not looking to change one steering wheel for any another just because and replacing just a bag sounds hackish. Are manufacturers still selling cars with Takata's problematic airbags, or have they changed their supplier?

I'm looking to buy any new or used steering wheel that will fit and I'm assuming certain newer ones are either non-Takata or a different design from Takata. If the steering wheel is used, then there should be a way to tell what system is there based on part number.

This information does not seem to be public so, yes, research is required.
Old 09-07-2017, 01:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CL 600
Originally Posted by mbzusr
If I buy a 2017 W### or X### steering wheel on ebay, it needs to be replaced? How can you tell?

My observation of the shape is only for recognition of probable "older" Takata based systems. Mercedes, Volvo, Porsche, BMW and others are all now using a similar sized and shaped airbag.
The differences between 2011 and any 2017/18 model from the above manufacturers is apparent. Is that a coincidence in design or a sign that there is a new manufacturer being sourced for safety and or liability?

I'm not looking to change one steering wheel for any another just because and replacing just a bag sounds hackish. Are manufacturers still selling cars with Takata's problematic airbags, or have they changed their supplier?

I'm looking to buy any new or used steering wheel that will fit and I'm assuming certain newer ones are either non-Takata or a different design from Takata. If the steering wheel is used, then there should be a way to tell what system is there based on part number.

This information does not seem to be public so, yes, research is required.
The airbag is a separate unit, the steering wheel and it's part # has nothing to do with it. They are still putting old design inflators in brand new cars, they will be replaced in the coming years.

No need to "recognize shape", read the listing on the takata recall site, it tells you what vehicles are affected.

You're confusing cosmetics with function. How it looks has nothing to do with anything. The inflator looks like a roll-of-quarters sized metal can buried inside the airbag unit. Design looks the same because people are stupid and once they like one shape, everybody copies it.

"replacing just a bag sounds hackish"... what does that mean? The 80 million cars that need airbags, also need a new steering wheel? For what reason? You unbolt/unclip the airbag and remove it to gain access to the center bolt of the steering wheel, one has nothing to do with the other.

Just wait until replacement parts are available. Takata is making them, but the priority is on cars which have had actual failures (MB has had none to date), and older vehicles first due to the failure methods (humidity/moisture intrusion)
Old 09-07-2017, 04:56 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
GLK 350, 300ce
The airbag is a separate unit, the steering wheel and it's part # has nothing to do with it. They are still putting old design inflators in brand new cars, they will be replaced in the coming years.

No need to "recognize shape", read the listing on the takata recall site, it tells you what vehicles are affected.

You're confusing cosmetics with function. How it looks has nothing to do with anything. The inflator looks like a roll-of-quarters sized metal can buried inside the airbag unit. Design looks the same because people are stupid and once they like one shape, everybody copies it.

"replacing just a bag sounds hackish"... what does that mean? The 80 million cars that need airbags, also need a new steering wheel? For what reason? You unbolt/unclip the airbag and remove it to gain access to the center bolt of the steering wheel, one has nothing to do with the other.

Just wait until replacement parts are available. Takata is making them, but the priority is on cars which have had actual failures (MB has had none to date), and older vehicles first due to the failure methods (humidity/moisture intrusion)
You bring up an interesting point.
Mercedes is still shipping it's cars with the defective Takata inflator.

If they will have to have them replaced later, that is truly Technical Debt that has to be paid.

When I looked on the NHTSA site, 2016/2017 C Class and the GLC were not listed but the 2017 E Class coupe' is. I was hoping that an absence meant the new C class, at least, was OK.
As you yourself state, consumers can't just buy the replacement parts at this point , so I had hoped that if the new steering wheels fit, for me, I would go to the expense of buying the entire assembly, and not concern myself with any fitment issues that car makers claimed would be the case with alternate manufactures.

FWIW, Honda is using alternate manufacturers and stopped using Takata altogether by the end of 2016 for replacements and new cars. FCA is also not using Takata. It was estimated that 68% of replacements would come from alternate sources Autoliv, Daicel and TRW based on disclosures two years ago.
Old 07-23-2018, 12:51 AM

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts
2010 e550 coupe
I just found out about this open recall because I was looking at buying a preowned mercedes and I am not sure why everyone has such a lax stance on this (both consumers and sellers). Did I miss something or is the recall due to faulty airbags that can potentially kill you and your passenger due to exploding followed by metal shrapnel flying at both the driver and passenger. Driving out here is dangerous enough without being killed by your airbag. I talked to two dealerships that were selling these cars and said there's nothing we can do about it Mercedes won't fix it. Is Mercedes now selling grenades? Why no class action lawsuit for this it seems more important then the many others they've had.
Old 07-23-2018, 07:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts
2014 E350 4M Diamond Silver
Originally Posted by Dnasty
I just found out about this open recall because I was looking at buying a preowned mercedes and I am not sure why everyone has such a lax stance on this (both consumers and sellers). Did I miss something or is the recall due to faulty airbags that can potentially kill you and your passenger due to exploding followed by metal shrapnel flying at both the driver and passenger. Driving out here is dangerous enough without being killed by your airbag. I talked to two dealerships that were selling these cars and said there's nothing we can do about it Mercedes won't fix it. Is Mercedes now selling grenades? Why no class action lawsuit for this it seems more important then the many others they've had.
While they are back-ordered, you can call MB-CSR and ask them to validate the VIN you're interested comes under recalled category.
Old 07-23-2018, 07:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,718 Likes on 1,102 Posts
2016 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by raja777m
Here is where you veirfy, right?
https://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/recall

Knock on wood, my car is not in the recall list, as of now.
I just checked both of mine, a 2001 C-Class and the 2016 E-Class. If Takata made the airbags for either of these cars (surely for the 2001), it should show up as a recall, but it didn't.

In fact, I've used this checker in the past (periodically since 2001), and never got a recall hit. Either MBs are perfect and are never recalled, or MBUSA Legal is drawing a fine line on the term "Safety" Recall...or MBUSA is just lying,

Last edited by DFWdude; 07-23-2018 at 07:58 AM.
Old 07-23-2018, 12:02 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,415 Likes on 3,145 Posts
'71 Pinto
Need to have dealer periodically check VMI not classified as recall but rather service campaign see attachments.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Takata.pdf (202.0 KB, 100 views)
File Type: pdf
Takata2.pdf (202.3 KB, 72 views)
Old 07-23-2018, 12:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
My 2010 is supposedly in the recall range, but has never shown up on any list. Surprised you are just finding out about this as it has been in all news media for years. If effects almost all makes of cars sold in USA, not just M-B.

What is your solution? Tell people they cannot sell their cars? Tell dealerships they cannot accept most M-B's in trade or sell them if they do? Tell people to park their cars until fixed-months or years? As I said this would apply to most cars sold in US manufactured during the relevant period. Not saying it is not a safety issue.
Old 07-24-2018, 03:33 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
2018 S560
Originally Posted by jahquan3
I don't think it's worth risking even one life even though nothing has happen to an MB. There's no guarantee that it won't happen. It's been almost a year since this came to light and this long of a wait is disgusting and lazy execution wise from Mercedes.

Is there proof that no MB has had an event with these airbags even if not tragic?

You risk your life every time you get behind the wheel. The least of your worries should be a one in a zillion chance your airbag will kill you. If you really feel the MB management are a bunch of "disgusting and lazy" employees you should buy another car.
Old 07-24-2018, 08:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,379 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
For the record - in famous Firestone tires case close to 20 years ago - it took 271 recorded deaths before company admitted they have a problem.
Old 07-24-2018, 09:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CL 600
Originally Posted by kajtek1
For the record - in famous Firestone tires case close to 20 years ago - it took 271 recorded deaths before company admitted they have a problem.
In that case, there were issues with more than just the tires. Ford was somewhat to blame also. Need to consider all the info before people jump on MB, this is a huge voluntary recall, MB is the leader in safety technology, if they were worried about it they would do something. We have new recalls every day for stupid things that could be a "safety risk" at some point.
Old 07-24-2018, 09:54 PM

2010 e550 coupe
Originally Posted by El Cid
My 2010 is supposedly in the recall range, but has never shown up on any list. Surprised you are just finding out about this as it has been in all news media for years. If effects almost all makes of cars sold in USA, not just M-B.

What is your solution? Tell people they cannot sell their cars? Tell dealerships they cannot accept most M-B's in trade or sell them if they do? Tell people to park their cars until fixed-months or years? As I said this would apply to most cars sold in US manufactured during the relevant period. Not saying it is not a safety issue.
I'm just now learning about this because i'm in the market for a car and the car I happen to like falls under this "open recall". None of my previous cars were effected by it and I haven't been car shopping in years. Wasn't sure if you are asking what I would advise as a solution but if you were it would be to get them changed with non dangerous airbags if you are able to. The company went into great detail as to what the consequences could be if this does happen (god forbid) and apparently had to go belly up because of this mistake. If those aren't enough flags I don't know what is. Obviously I can't tell people what to do with their lives and their safety, everyone regards it at a different level. But if the airbags have a potentiality for serious harm or worse that's not good. Someone mentioned that driving is dangerous enough why worry about the airbags... You're right driving is dangerous enough and the last thing you should want is the very thing designed to save you in an accident to do the exact opposite and be a detriment. The companies put the sole blame on takata which was smart as they now don't have to take ownership of the problem or address it with urgency but people shouldn't act as if this problem is not fixable due to a shortage of parts or whatever mbusa tells you. They will say and do as little as possible until required to because at the end of the day this will cost them tons of money and they don't want that. There are other companies that make airbags and some can even fashion one custom for the vehicle that is safe... the cost may be put on the consumer if you are more proactive about a resolution but personally I feel the vehicle manufacturers should be responsible as they selected this company to make airbags in their cars. Realistically none of them will likely do anything more then they are already doing which seems to be virtually nothing until some sort of legal pressure is applied.
Old 07-24-2018, 11:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,616 Likes on 1,186 Posts
2014 E550-sold 😩
^well that was an earful that made absolutely no sense.
Old 07-24-2018, 11:11 PM

2010 e550 coupe
Originally Posted by KEY08
Maybe you have comprehension issues. Any particular part you wanted clarification on?
Old 08-13-2018, 04:22 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E350
who's still waiting for a replacement? mine is 2010 and still waiting for replacement..
Old 08-13-2018, 06:37 PM

Received 141 Likes on 105 Posts
2010 E550
I called local dealership like a month or two ago about it, they said they don't have the parts and to keep waiting. Also have a 2010.
Old 08-13-2018, 06:57 PM

2010 e550 coupe
It's probably coming around the time dr dre drops his detox album.
Old 11-05-2018, 10:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 195 Likes on 171 Posts
2010 e550 p2
Update.

got a letter on saturday from mercedes , saying that my replacement part came in finally and that i need to make an appointment to get it replaced.

good news.
The following users liked this post:
raja777m (11-05-2018)
Old 11-05-2018, 03:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,466 Likes on 1,147 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
Originally Posted by KEY08
Maybe you have comprehension issues. Any particular part you wanted clarification on?
It made no sense because the manufacturer is responsible for replacing the part for no charge if there's a recall. Also there were about 50 million airbags that were affected across 37 million cars (some cars have multiple air bags like MB). It's not that easy to just order up an extra airbag from some other manufacturer. It's a safety device so it's not easy to just design your own like you can a set of wheels. Plus Takata had 20% of the market and just to put it into perspective, the US sells somewhere between 15-17 million new cars a year. It takes a while to ramp up production to cover that many airbags and there's a limited number of manufacturers. That's why the post made no sense, there's really nothing much the consumer can really do beside wait for a new one or just not buy or drive one that has a defective one. Or just take their chances and hope they don't get into an accident where the air bag deploys and kills them.
Old 11-05-2018, 04:50 PM

Received 96 Likes on 69 Posts
2010 W212 E550 4matic
Originally Posted by belarus27
Update.

got a letter on saturday from mercedes , saying that my replacement part came in finally and that i need to make an appointment to get it replaced.

good news.
Did you ever get the NHTSA letter regarding the airbag recall?
I can't figure out if my car is on the list or not. If I use the VIN on NHTSA's site it gives me an error and intructs me to go on MB's site. On mbusa, once I input my VIN I'm told there's no recall, but if I use the alternative method on the same page (the one where you input the state you live in, year and model of your car) I'm told I need the driver's side airbag replaced but parts won't be available until July 2019.
I have not received the recall letter from NHTSA or MBUSA.
I did however get one for 04 Ford, had the replacement done, it now presumably has gotten rid of the Claymore style inflators.
Old 11-05-2018, 06:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CL 600
Originally Posted by Oda112
I can't figure out if my car is on the list or not. If I use the VIN on NHTSA's site it gives me an error and intructs me to go on MB's site. On mbusa, once I input my VIN I'm told there's no recall, but if I use the alternative method on the same page (the one where you input the state you live in, year and model of your car) I'm told I need the driver's side airbag replaced but parts won't be available until July 2019.
I did however get one for 04 Ford, had the replacement done, it now presumably has gotten rid of the Claymore style inflators.
Post your VIN, I'll post your VMI and see what campaign if any is open or pending for the airbags.
Old 11-05-2018, 07:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 195 Likes on 171 Posts
2010 e550 p2
Originally Posted by Oda112
you might be right lol , and i might have overlooked , it might of been from NHTSA. But it doesnt change anything though.
finally. Just like i said before , my moms 07 crv got this recall done within 6 months after it has been announced.
...........and about 2 years+ for my benzo ))
Old 11-05-2018, 07:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,466 Likes on 1,147 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
Originally Posted by belarus27
you might be right lol , and i might have overlooked , it might of been from NHTSA. But it doesnt change anything though.
finally. Just like i said before , my moms 07 crv got this recall done within 6 months after it has been announced.
...........and about 2 years+ for my benzo ))
Make sure you call in advance and see if you can get a rental on MB's dime.
Old 11-06-2018, 08:39 AM

Received 96 Likes on 69 Posts
2010 W212 E550 4matic
Post your VIN, I'll post your VMI and see what campaign if any is open or pending for the airbags.
Thanks for the offer Joe! I actually ended up calling MBUSA yesterday, they have a dedicated Takata phone line. I gave the lady my last 8 VIN digits and she assured me I don't need any airbag replacement. The confusion with the second type of airbag recall checking method was due to the nature of the later method. She said it's more of a tool for checking new airbag availability in ones state, rather than vehicle specific information.
It does make me wonder how Belarus who has the same MY as me needs new airbags and I don't. It doesn't make sense to me that the same model vehicle, same year, will have different airbag inflators fitted.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Takata Airbag recalls and Bankruptcy