E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Lumpy acceleration?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-02-2017, 07:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 617 Likes on 388 Posts
2014 E350 4-matic Sport & 2020 GLS450
I had mine at the dealership this week so they could fix the rear spoiler tape coming loose. I mentioned this transmission thing as well, mostly as a question of how many complaints do they see about it. Said not many, and it shouldn't be acting like this. Picked up the car yesterday, met the technician who worked on it, and figured I was going to get the whole "cannot duplicate problem" routine. Got some of that, but was also told that he updated the software for the throttle sensor, engine computer, and transmission computer (likely more technical names that this, but I can't remember, just that there were 3 items).

Honestly folks, it's not doing it anymore. 3rd and 4th feel perfectly fine now. So, might be a fix for this via computer software updates now for you.
Old 09-02-2017, 08:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 678 Likes on 643 Posts
2014 E350 also restored: 1969 Camaro convertible SS 1957 Chevy Belair 2dr hardtop
Originally Posted by nc211
I had mine at the dealership this week so they could fix the rear spoiler tape coming loose. I mentioned this transmission thing as well, mostly as a question of how many complaints do they see about it. Said not many, and it shouldn't be acting like this. Picked up the car yesterday, met the technician who worked on it, and figured I was going to get the whole "cannot duplicate problem" routine. Got some of that, but was also told that he updated the software for the throttle sensor, engine computer, and transmission computer (likely more technical names that this, but I can't remember, just that there were 3 items).

Honestly folks, it's not doing it anymore. 3rd and 4th feel perfectly fine now. So, might be a fix for this via computer software updates now for you.
Had that done 3 times. Each time it went away for a month or so but it always came back. They update it to make it learn and it just returns back to what it was doing after a while.
The following users liked this post:
MaMaChup (09-29-2017)
Old 09-03-2017, 02:11 PM

Received 136 Likes on 125 Posts
W212 E-class, W211 E-class, F10 5-Series

Can you tell us what your repair order says, so we can know the technical language when we try to explain to our techs?
Old 09-06-2017, 11:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I never got the invoice actually, but can ask for it the next time I'm there (and considering how badly they scratched up my trunk via their second attempt at attaching the rear lip spoiler, it'll be SOON).

But he's right, it does appear to be a temporary fix. I can feel it starting to return again. Oh well. But at least I know it's more software influenced than actual hardware driven. So I do get some satisfaction from knowing that.
Old 09-29-2017, 01:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 E350-totaled 8-5-15
Same same same!

Same lurchie with my '10 e350 and currently with my '13 e550c. Had "computer reset or update or whatever" at least 5 times btwn both cars and it works for a month and then problem returns reliably 1 month later.

I never got the invoice actually, but can ask for it the next time I'm there (and considering how badly they scratched up my trunk via their second attempt at attaching the rear lip spoiler, it'll be SOON).

But he's right, it does appear to be a temporary fix. I can feel it starting to return again. Oh well. But at least I know it's more software influenced than actual hardware driven. So I do get some satisfaction from knowing that.
Old 09-29-2017, 02:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yep it’s definitely back for me too, but quite as bad as before (yet). I’ve noticed that when I feel it coming on, just a little more gas can smooth it out. Don’t notice it hardly at all with the A/C off. It reminds me of my old 95’ LS400 which had a defective ECU that would drop the fuel supply to the engine too quickly when you’d let up from the throttle, causing a bucking sensation. Big TSB on it and was a PIA to get the lexus dealership that sole me the car in 2003 to honor via their 90-day warranty. They eventually did.