MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W212) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212-109/)
-   -   Michelin AS3+? (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212/678364-michelin-as3.html)

nc211 08-19-2017 04:19 PM

Michelin AS3+?

I've got the Continental's on the car now (sport package w/ 18" wheels). Recently put on a pair of Michelin AS3+ on my GTI to replace worn out OEM P7's. The change in ride comfort and noise (especially at highway) was/is incredible.

Curious if the AS3's would be that much better than the Continental's that come with the car? If so, I'm willing to spend the money on them. At around 70mph, I've got a road noise that I am almost certain are coming from the tires. The tire's aren't worn (I believe close to new via the dealership CPO process). But they certainly sound like a truck tire sometimes, sort of (bit of a stretch, but you get the idea).

I remember on an old Lexus LS400 I used to have years ago, I was chasing around a road noise issue then too. Replaced tires to Continentals, didn't work. Replaced those with Michelin's and the car was a dream thereafter.

Thanks!

- Mover - 08-19-2017 07:36 PM

I've always gone with dedicated summer tires but in this case, the AS3+ were on the car when I got it.

For an all season tire, I'm pretty impressed with it.

Once they wear out, I'll probably go with a summer performance tire.

cetialpha5 08-19-2017 09:45 PM

Continentials and Michelin's seem to be the two popular ones. I had the A/S 3 on mine before they went to the Plus and they were fine. I think the Plus is supposed to be even better in snow.

nc211 08-20-2017 03:17 PM

Thanks guys, I think I'll switch these Conti's for the Michelins soon.

Peter_02AMG 08-21-2017 10:45 AM

I bought the Michelin A/S 3+ about a few week ago. Already put over 1000 miles on it. :yDrove to Las Vegas to San Jose back to OC.:zoom: Awesome tire, smooth and quiet. Much better than the Pirelli Pzero A/S that came with the car. I can't believe how terrible the Pirelli are. With less than 18K miles it already worn down and showing cracks all over.

IMO Michelin make the best tire next to Continental tires. These are the only Brand I put on all my cars, I never had any buyer remorse.

nc211 08-21-2017 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Peter_02AMG (Post 7244382)
I bought the Michelin A/S 3+ about a few week ago. Already put over 1000 miles on it. :yDrove to Las Vegas to San Jose back to OC.:zoom: Awesome tire, smooth and quiet. Much better than the Pirelli Pzero A/S that came with the car. I can't believe how terrible the Pirelli are. With less than 18K miles it already worn down and showing cracks all over.

IMO Michelin make the best tire next to Continental tires. These are the only Brand I put on all my cars, I never had any buyer remorse.

I agree, I think Michelin's are about the best overall tire you can get for everyday driving. I've never had a single problem in all my years with a Michelin tire. Definitely on my list of things to get done for this car.

cwelk87gn 08-30-2017 08:11 AM

I bought a new set of 18" AS3+ back in November, have put about 6k miles on them so far. Quiet, handle well, and despite living in a city where we have huge thunderstorms nearly every afternoon in the summer, they never even hinted that they were about to hydroplane.

mellonc 08-30-2017 01:16 PM

I have them on also. It's great in all fronts most noticeably in the noise department. Definitely an improvement. I do think however that the at-the-limit dry handling is just bit squiggly (relatively speaking).

I don't get into that situation much. So it's no brainer for me. I like them a lot.