Low annual mileage service questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-22-2017, 12:17 AM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
E350
Low annual mileage service questions

Hi All!

I just purchase my 1st MB earlier this month. A 2015 E350 CPO with around 27k miles on it. I took it down San Diego last weekend from LA and the ride was great. Traffic on the other hand was terrible going there. MB USA is currently offering 2 free services with CPO. I only drive around 4000(max 5k) miles a year. My 1st free service should be at 31k miles in 2018 (service A?) 2nd free service will be around 2019 with around 35k miles (service B?). My questions are since I drive around 4,000 miles in a year(almost all in LA area). Do I still go in every year for A,B,A,B,A,B services? Wait for Service Message to appear on dash before I take it in? Should I buy the prepaid maintenance plan with the mileage I drive?

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-22-2017, 09:53 AM

Received 71 Likes on 47 Posts
Mercedes and BMW
I am also in the same predicament. I bought mine (2012) with only 22k in 2015 and it came with the same complimentary service. The car now has 25k as I am always traveling on business. I was recommended by my service advisor to only use the complimentary service for the B. Therefore in 2016, I paid out of pocket for the A service which is the oil change. This year, I used one of the two complimentary service and he was able to include the big 6 year/60K service which included the spark plug change, brake fluid change, interior and exterior filters, oil change, and whatever the multipoint inspection is for that year/miles. I came out of there with a big . He then tells me that the complimentary service is good for 5 years (to 2020) so he recommended me in 2019 he will do another big service. In a nutshell, IMO, just follow the recommended service intervals.
Old 08-22-2017, 12:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
07E63, 12E350, 08997TT, 16SiennaSE
How much is an average A and B service cost?
Old 08-22-2017, 01:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 384 Likes on 314 Posts
2011 E550 P2 4M Sedan
Follow maintenance manual regardless of miles you drive a year at least while you're under warranty. Beyond that it is up to you but I would still get the fluids done once a year or as scheduled in manual.

If you can defer your 2 free services like b6tbfmp suggested, that would be the best option IMO but be sure your SA is willing to play ball and use on non-consecutive services.

Prepaid maintenance is sold in packs and have to be used consecutively when service is due. For that it is best to wait until you have a BAB cycle coming up with other expensive services like ATF or plugs. Then a 3 pack may be worth it. You are eligible to buy PPM until 80k miles. However, I would use up the 2 free CPO services first before I even considered buying a prepaid pack. Once you buy it, no refunds so use up those freebies (even if you have to pay for an A out of pocket) and make sure you plan to keep your car for that long. Since your mileage is predictable and low, you could map out the upcoming services for several years in advance and plan your strategy. I drive about 8k a year and that's what I did.
Old 08-22-2017, 02:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 384 Likes on 314 Posts
2011 E550 P2 4M Sedan
Originally Posted by Peter_02AMG
How much is an average A and B service cost?
At the dealers in my area, an A is about $250 and a B is about $375. But that B price does not include brake fluid with is due at same time for me and costs another $120. Indy's are usually cheaper unless dealer is running a special or there's a coupon.

Prices will vary by area. Two years ago I only had one dealer within 30 miles who never ran specials. Now another dealer opened up 10 miles away and they've both gotten competitive but it's still pricey.
The following users liked this post:
Peter_02AMG (08-23-2017)
Old 08-22-2017, 03:03 PM

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
2013 E550 Sedan
When the car is due for service, time, or miles driven your dash will give you a message at startup. I don't believe that M-B is going to give you discretion as to what two free services. If you read your Prepaid Maintenance Agreement I think you will see that it expires after 24 months. BTW Enjoy your new ride.
Old 08-22-2017, 03:06 PM

Received 71 Likes on 47 Posts
Mercedes and BMW
Originally Posted by davidjohnbamber
When the car is due for service, time, or miles driven your dash will give you a message at startup. I don't believe that M-B is going to give you discretion as to what two free services. If you read your Prepaid Maintenance Agreement I think you will see that it expires after 24 months. BTW Enjoy your new ride.
That is what I thought too; 24 months but my service advisor said good till 2020.
Old 08-23-2017, 08:54 AM

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
2013 E550, 2014 GLK 350
Originally Posted by thefisch
Follow maintenance manual regardless of miles you drive a year at least while you're under warranty. Beyond that it is up to you but I would still get the fluids done once a year or as scheduled in manual.

If you can defer your 2 free services like b6tbfmp suggested, that would be the best option IMO but be sure your SA is willing to play ball and use on non-consecutive services.

Prepaid maintenance is sold in packs and have to be used consecutively when service is due. For that it is best to wait until you have a BAB cycle coming up with other expensive services like ATF or plugs. Then a 3 pack may be worth it. You are eligible to buy PPM until 80k miles. However, I would use up the 2 free CPO services first before I even considered buying a prepaid pack. Once you buy it, no refunds so use up those freebies (even if you have to pay for an A out of pocket) and make sure you plan to keep your car for that long. Since your mileage is predictable and low, you could map out the upcoming services for several years in advance and plan your strategy. I drive about 8k a year and that's what I did.
One little nit in here - you CAN get them refunded if you buy them, but man, it takes a lot of work. I have done it. It took a pretty extenuating circumstance AND I hadn't used the first one yet. And I had to work at it. My bet is that if I had used one, I couldn't have gotten the refund.