MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W212) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212-109/)
-   -   Who got the Illuminated Star installed? (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212/679449-who-got-illuminated-star-installed.html)

Peter_02AMG 08-24-2017 05:31 PM

Who got the Illuminated Star installed?

At first I though this would be kinda cheesy but after installing it I really like it a lot. Even my neighbors like it. 3 MB owner came to me asking where did I get it. Instead of telling them I got it off ebay for $35 I just told them I got it at the MB stealer. A few weeks later I saw the illuminated star on their car. they said they paid over $500 installed:eek:

I paid $35 plus 30 min of my time. Quality is exactly like the OEM. So much easier to install than OEM. Two wires hookup instead of the spaghetti MB harness.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...9ded62860b.jpg

Illuminated Star on MY15E350

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...6e22d69b2c.jpg

apg231 08-24-2017 06:17 PM

Can you provide the link to where you purchased it? Want to put one on my E550.

KEY08 08-24-2017 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by apg231 (Post 7247881)

I thought you had Distronic? In which case the Star is not replaceable.

apg231 08-24-2017 06:55 PM

I wanted Distronic, but sadly that was the one option my car didn't come with.

KEY08 08-24-2017 09:07 PM

Got it, so you are good to go. It is a great option, however!

dbldpr 08-25-2017 03:07 PM

Liked it so much I have one in white light one in Blue Light and one in Red light. I have them on quick disconnects. Takes about 10 sec to swap out. I usually just drive with the blue one in. I think I like it the best. Yours looks great Now you need to install an AOOGHA Horn.

Zavato 08-26-2017 10:35 AM

Wonder why you told your neighbors you got your illuminated star at a dealer when you didn't-

NickTH 08-26-2017 11:29 AM

Told my neighbor I got my E400 from Amazon.
No tax
Free 2 day prime shipping

thefisch 08-26-2017 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by dbldpr (Post 7249345)
Liked it so much I have one in white light one in Blue Light and one in Red light. I have them on quick disconnects. Takes about 10 sec to swap out. I usually just drive with the blue one in. I think I like it the best. Yours looks great Now you need to install an AOOGHA Horn.

This should be a required accessory. At least MB should start offering it as an option when ordering.

Originally Posted by Zavato (Post 7249828)
Wonder why you told your neighbors you got your illuminated star at a dealer when you didn't-

I think it's funny the neighbor went out and got it from the dealer and paid $500. Now OP can't tell them the truth about what he paid or they might be pissed. Maybe the neighbor is lying - they got it off ebay and didn't want to hurt OP's feelings because they think he spent $450 more than them.

If my neighbors ask me about something I did for my car, house, etc., I tell them how much I paid, how to save money on it, etc. even if they don't ask. I usually offer to help them do something if it is a simple DIY project, but rarely do they take me up on it. And they hardly ever reciprocate or tell me what they ended up doing. If they decide to spend more money on the same thing, that's up to them - it's their money.

You'd think I would be considered a good neighbor but they probably think I am weird or cheap. Doesn't matter - most end up moving anyway thanks to divorce or work.

dbldpr 08-26-2017 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by thefisch (Post 7249914)
This should be a required accessory. At least MB should start offering it as an option when ordering.

I think it's funny the neighbor went out and got it from the dealer and paid $500. Now OP can't tell them the truth about what he paid or they might be pissed. Maybe the neighbor is lying - they got it off ebay and didn't want to hurt OP's feelings because they think he spent $450 more than them.

If my neighbors ask me about something I did for my car, house, etc., I tell them how much I paid, how to save money on it, etc. even if they don't ask. I usually offer to help them do something if it is a simple DIY project, but rarely do they take me up on it. And they hardly ever reciprocate or tell me what they ended up doing. If they decide to spend more money on the same thing, that's up to them - it's their money.

You'd think I would be considered a good neighbor but they probably think I am weird or cheap. Doesn't matter - most end up moving anyway thanks to divorce or work.

I am always doing something for the neighbors. But they reciprocate. If I ever need anything done they come over immediately. I finished one neighbors basement for free. He supplied the material and I worked there for a month and I finished it for him. For the past 14 years my neighbors have not had to shovel there driveways. I have a tractor that has a cab and a heater and it throws the snow 30 feet away. I do about 5 driveways every time it snows. In return they shovel my sidewalk and stairs. They come home from work and there driveways are done. We help each other.

thefisch 08-26-2017 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by dbldpr (Post 7249923)
I am always doing something for the neighbors. But they reciprocate. If I ever need anything done they come over immediately. I finished one neighbors basement for free. He supplied the material and I worked there for a month and I finished it for him. For the past 14 years my neighbors have not had to shovel there driveways. I have a tractor that has a cab and a heater and it throws the snow 30 feet away. I do about 5 driveways every time it snows. In return they shovel my sidewalk and stairs. They come home from work and there driveways are done. We help each other.

That's the way it should be. The last two neighborhoods we've been in were fairly transient. We've lived in our house for over 6 years and in that time 12 of the 18 other homes on our street have turned over, some more than once.

dbldpr 08-26-2017 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by thefisch (Post 7249955)
That's the way it should be. The last two neighborhoods we've been in were fairly transient. We've lived in our house for over 6 years and in that time 12 of the 18 other homes on our street have turned over, some more than once.

Wow that is unbelievable. It is always good to have good neighbors. Only One guy on our block is an idiot and he speaks broken English. No one talks to him. He is the guy that calls the building Dept and tells them you are doing work without a permit.

Peachy 08-26-2017 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by dbldpr (Post 7249971)
Wow that is unbelievable. It is always good to have good neighbors. Only One guy on our block is an idiot and he speaks broken English. No one talks to him. He is the guy that calls the building Dept and tells them you are doing work without a permit.

My street has mostly been the same people for like the past 20 years, maybe like 3 houses changed occupants.

dbldpr 08-26-2017 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by Peachy (Post 7250051)
My street has mostly been the same people for like the past 20 years, maybe like 3 houses changed occupants.

Good neighborhood stable

Peter_02AMG 08-28-2017 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Zavato (Post 7249828)

They all bunch of snob! Just because they drive Mercedes Benz and BMW they think the are better than other. I said Hi! to them when we moved into the neighbor and they ignored me and my family. One of them almost run over my kid for playing in front of our own garage and he got the nerve to yell at my little boy for playing outside, I wanted to kick his ass so badly! lucky for him my wife said let it go and be good neighbor. This was one of the guy that ask me about the Star.

They to cheap to take their cars to MB for service. When they saw me working on my car they come up to me and ask me if I know how to change the oil, engine filter..cabin filter. I was nice enough to show them how to but I'm not going do it for them.

Peter_02AMG 08-28-2017 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by apg231 (Post 7247881)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Illuminated-...72.m2749.l2649

Worth every penny!:y

nc211 08-28-2017 07:35 PM

I was at my dealership today to pick up a new rear license plate bracket, and right there on the parts counter is an illuminated MB star with advertising to have one installed on your car. I asked the parts guy how much it costs.... $699. It's a piece of plastic for crying out loud. But considering the plastic license plate mounting plate cost $75, I'm not surprised.

Tump43 08-28-2017 07:48 PM

Peter,

I just ordered the LED Star from the link you shared. Thanks. Please post a quick description of how exactly you wired it to your vehicle. After your install, does the star light up once the ignition is turned on?

(The ebay item does not come with installation instructions and states the LED star is "activated via the vehicle key fob")

Thanks in advance!

mybenz408 08-29-2017 05:37 PM

any one have instruction to connect wire for 2014 E350?

thanks

blackhorse01 08-30-2017 01:01 AM

Follow this instruction
https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...ml#post7149320

Peter_02AMG 08-30-2017 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Tump43 (Post 7251510)
Peter,

I just ordered the LED Star from the link you shared. Thanks. Please post a quick description of how exactly you wired it to your vehicle. After your install, does the star light up once the ignition is turned on?

(The ebay item does not come with installation instructions and states the LED star is "activated via the vehicle key fob")

Thanks in advance!

My arrived 9 days after paying included one weekend. Installation is very easy. I can take some pictures to show where to route the wire and which fuse to tap into if you like.

The guys from the link above got the right ideas but I don't like their wiring job. They got their wire showing, pinched and the fuse tap..that just so sloppy. You can't find my wiring even if you open the fuse box you won't know anything been tamper with. I guess I'm just picky.:D

btw.. if you tap it into fuse number 24 (15AMP) (I try #23 but it come on and off a few extra time before it turn completely off) #24 turn the illuminated star on when you lock or unlock with key fob. open any of the doors, trunk or hood. also on full time when the engine is running. It will turn off about 30 sec later when you undo the above.

Tump43 08-30-2017 05:53 PM

Peter,

Thanks, I would really appreciate a couple of pictures and some comments. I ordered a fuse tap but would rather install per your pic's and instructions. I'm a bit fussy about my car as well. Thanks for being meticulous -- it's the only way to go!!

Peter_02AMG 08-31-2017 12:21 PM

Routing and Installation

If you get the same kit as I did the harness is about 20" short of reaching the fuse box. Get yourself about 20" of 18awg red/black wire and extend it. I would wraps the whole harness with electric tape just to protect it. Once you're happy with your wire run Tie wrap it to existing harnesses etc. You will need a 3/8 ring terminal for the ground. I also use a wire loom that I happen to have lying around to protect the harness behind the grill to the side into the engine bay. There no one way to route your wire. I try to hide my wire and blend in with other harness as much as possible for a clean look.

See pictures for routing. if you have any questions let me know. :y

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...3b9119edbe.jpg

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...c00f253042.jpg

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...d6d32bc661.jpg

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...f15c6ac259.jpg

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...8dfb1fb8ae.jpg

apg231 08-31-2017 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Peter_02AMG (Post 7253921)
If you get the same kit as I did the harness is about 20" short of reaching the fuse box. Get yourself about 20" of 18awg red/black wire and extend it. I would wraps the whole harness with electric tape just to protect it. Once you're happy with your wire run Tie wrap it to existing harnesses etc. You will need a 3/8 ring terminal for the ground. I also use a wire loom that I happen to have lying around to protect the harness behind the grill to the side into the engine bay. There no one way to route your wire. I try to hide my wire and blend in with other harness as much as possible for a clean look.

See pictures for routing. if you have any questions let me know. :y

Peter, I understand all your directions with the exception of the last photo. Are you saying wrap the bare red wire around the left blade of fuse located in slot #24?

Why not use a fuse tap like the member did in this post?

Let me know, placing my order tonight for the illuminated star.

Peter_02AMG 08-31-2017 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by apg231 (Post 7253987)
Peter, I understand all your directions with the exception of the last photo. Are you saying wrap the bare red wire around the left blade of fuse located in slot #24?

Why not use a fuse tap like the member did in this post?

Let me know, placing my order tonight for the illuminated star.

You do not wrap around the fuse blade if you do I don't think you can put the fuse back in..place it below the blade and wedge it down when you press the fuse down on it. You can use the fuse tap but it look so messy with it. I just use the existing 15A fuse to protect the star wire.

Tump43 08-31-2017 02:16 PM

Thanks Peter, I'll use your pic's to install my LED Star once it arrives. I'll get some wire first though.

Pette25 09-03-2017 11:53 AM

Nj star

can anyone help me in nj install the lighted emblem?

Please help

mybenz408 09-05-2017 02:44 PM

hello all
i just received the fuse tap on ebay and it have 15amp fuse come with the package... how i use this? remove the fuse24 from fuse box and insert fuse tap with 15amp at fuse#24?

thanks a lot guy

Tump43 09-05-2017 06:41 PM

The instructions that came with my wire tap (Lumision) indicate that the existing fuse goes in the lower opening in the fuse tap and that the new fuse for the new device (i.e. LED Star) goes in the top opening in the fuse tap. Check on line for instructions for your tap first or, if you use the same fuse as the OE fuse in each opening you should be fine.

mybenz408 09-05-2017 08:02 PM

very confused on the fuse tap i purchased on ebay.... The fuse tap have 2 fuse slot which fuse do i use to install the illuminated star? the fuse tap i purchase come with 15amp fuse ...

1- pull out the fuse on Fuse #24? and insert the fuse tap with the 15amp fuse and fuse #24 on each slot on fuse tap?

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

blackhorse01 09-07-2017 11:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
If using the fuse tap, you must use the fuse #23 (20A) because the fuse tap won't fit into the fuse #24. The wire that comes out from the fuse tap is on the left side fuse #23. The original 20A fuse is in the bottom slot and the 15A fuse to the LED wire is on top. I drilled the hole "A" as the dealer instruction for the LED wire.

Tump43 09-09-2017 08:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just installed mine today. Didn't use a fuse tap. Ran the red/power wire to left side of fuse #23 through a small hole I drilled in the left side of the front SAM case. Ran the black/ground wire to an existing post holding an a/c line on the shock tower and followed the OE directions to route the LED wires along the side of the top right gutter and wire-tied them to the existing OE wires there. I ran the final length of LED wires under the top right radiator cover into the round area behind the Star. Secured the LED wires in various places to keep them from moving around or sitting in potentially damp areas. The wires that came with the eBay LED Star weren't long enough to reach the fuse box, so I added about 3' of 18 AWG black and red wire with two pinch connectors. For protection and OE looks I ran the added wires through 1/4" black shrink tubing before connecting them to the wires supplied with the LED star (those wires were already covered in black shrink tubing). Looks great, works fine. Will post installation pic's tomorrow.

apg231 09-09-2017 08:45 PM

Mine gets delivered next week and I too will share installation photos and tips.

Tump43 09-10-2017 08:32 PM

20 Attachment(s)
Here are my installation pictures:
1)Power Connection to left side of fuse #23; 2) Ground Connection to A/C hose support on shock tower; 3) Wire Routing-A beside driver's side gutter; 3) Wire Routing-B beside driver's side gutter; 4) Wire through top left hand corner of fan cover to back of Grill; 5) Wire connectors behind Star; 6) Done.

Tump43 09-10-2017 08:56 PM

With this install the Star lights up when the car is started, unlocked, and for 30 seconds after it is locked. Even though it is on, it can't be seen in daylight.

FastE 09-11-2017 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by Peter_02AMG (Post 7251074)

Sadly - says it isn't compatible with my C43 :nix:

apg231 09-25-2017 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by apg231 (Post 7260590)
Mine gets delivered next week and I too will share installation photos and tips.

I did my install Sunday and it was remarkably easy. I followed Peter_02AMG's directions and it worked perfectly. 30 minutes start to finish. I didn't get any pictures because just before I started I managed to drop my iPhone on my garage floor and broke it. :mad: This install is based off the illuminated light start kit that he listed he got off eBay here: https://redirect.viglink.com/?format...7-2be524a7afb4

Here are my tips however:

The ends of the eBay wire loom are poorly secured and I feared they may pull out of the weather-tight plug so I added some shrink wrap and electrical tape to them first. The wiring loom that came with the kit is too short to reach the fuse box, so I ran the wiring loom from the grill as far as I could to the driver side shock tower. I zip-tied the end of the wiring loom (with the weather-tight plug) to the horizontal aluminum channel that is behind the grill. If you look through the hole where the star goes, you can see a hole in the upper right-side of the grille. My wire loom came out there and I followed the path of the cable that opens the hood as it runs real close to the fender and is out of sight when finished. I bought a red and black spool of 18 gauge wire and crimped/shrink-wrapped it to the end of the wire loom. I put a ring connector on the black wire and attached it to the ground as Peter_02AMG showed. I ran the red power wire to the fuse box on the left side and wrapped it around the left blade of fuse #24. After everything was run, I plugged the weather-tight connector to the star and tested it before I buttoned everything up. When you finally go to install the illuminated star in the grille, be careful, as it will only go in one way easily. If it feels like you have to force it, take it out and re-index the tip of the star. I think it goes in with the tip starting at the 11:00 o'clock position and then you turn it clockwise. Once that was done I zip-tied everything and re-attached the fuse box cover.

Peter_02AMG 09-26-2017 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by apg231 (Post 7271395)
I did my install Sunday and it was remarkably easy. I followed Peter_02AMG's directions and it worked perfectly. 30 minutes start to finish. I didn't get any pictures because just before I started I managed to drop my iPhone on my garage floor and broke it. :mad: This install is based off the illuminated light start kit that he listed he got off eBay here: https://redirect.viglink.com/?format...7-2be524a7afb4

Here are my tips however:

The ends of the eBay wire loom are poorly secured and I feared they may pull out of the weather-tight plug so I added some shrink wrap and electrical tape to them first. The wiring loom that came with the kit is too short to reach the fuse box, so I ran the wiring loom from the grill as far as I could to the driver side shock tower. I zip-tied the end of the wiring loom (with the weather-tight plug) to the horizontal aluminum channel that is behind the grill. If you look through the hole where the star goes, you can see a hole in the upper right-side of the grille. My wire loom came out there and I followed the path of the cable that opens the hood as it runs real close to the fender and is out of sight when finished. I bought a red and black spool of 18 gauge wire and crimped/shrink-wrapped it to the end of the wire loom. I put a ring connector on the black wire and attached it to the ground as Peter_02AMG showed. I ran the red power wire to the fuse box on the left side and wrapped it around the left blade of fuse #24. After everything was run, I plugged the weather-tight connector to the star and tested it before I buttoned everything up. When you finally go to install the illuminated star in the grille, be careful, as it will only go in one way easily. If it feels like you have to force it, take it out and re-index the tip of the star. I think it goes in with the tip starting at the 11:00 o'clock position and then you turn it clockwise. Once that was done I zip-tied everything and re-attached the fuse box cover.

Nice Job!:y

This ebay Illuminated star have to be the best quality replica of the original MB star. I held the original in my hand and I can't tell the different.

btw..be careful not to break the little tabs that lock the star into the grill opening. There are 3 location on the grill that have this plastic thing. I broken the bottom clip probably from removing it to many time. If your star doesn't sit flush and tight than one of the plastic clip have broken off. It can't be replace or repair. Get a new grill or live with it. I RTV the star onto the grill permanently this also keep anyone from stealing it.

ahalimah 10-29-2017 01:13 PM

Thanks everyone - this is great info. I just got my illuminated star today and planning to install in the next couple of days. I understand that you can do the direct connection with the left side of #23 (or #24) or the fuse tap with #23. My question is that there are two spare fuse slots next to # 33 (across from #23). Are these spare slots powered, can I use the fuse tap into one of these and not have to sue existing fuses? Thanks!

hawk65 10-30-2017 10:58 AM

Just had mine installed too, we used Fuse 23 as well. I will post pics soon.

hawk65 10-31-2017 11:20 AM

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...a13df27157.jpg
Here she is...

Jenge 02-17-2018 11:55 PM

How to install aftermarket star in 2017 GLE??

Have aftermarket star with 2 wires--a ground and a hot wire (red).
There were no instructions that came with it, but would like to
install it so it is on with the when the headlights are on at night.

Can anyone provide instructions specific to the 2017 GLE350?
Is it better to hook it in to a headlight/parking light or does it need
to go into the fusebox.

The aftermarket star does not have an inline fuse. Is it necessary??

Thanks very much.

Jeng

Mustafaw212 02-19-2018 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Peter_02AMG (Post 7247851)
At first I though this would be kinda cheesy but after installing it I really like it a lot. Even my neighbors like it. 3 MB owner came to me asking where did I get it. Instead of telling them I got it off ebay for $35 I just told them I got it at the MB stealer. A few weeks later I saw the illuminated star on their car. they said they paid over $500 installed:eek:

I paid $35 plus 30 min of my time. Quality is exactly like the OEM. So much easier to install than OEM. Two wires hookup instead of the spaghetti MB harness.

Can you provide a link to where you bought it from? This looks really awesome esp if it only costed 35$!! I went to the dealer and got quoted like 500$ and I don't its worth anywhere near that much...

Rabt 02-20-2018 04:03 PM

I have a 2018 GLE350(W) with the Iluminated Star. It only comes on with the ignition(See circled 5amp fuse). I want it to come on with the parking lights........ie-when you unlock the car.

Where can I find a diagram of my fuses so I can tie into the parking lights? I have spent all afternoon looking at my manual and searching online.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...e79f7149e5.jpg

fxpthl64 02-25-2018 02:22 PM

My 2015 E350 Does have Distronic, so does that mean I Can't retrofit the "Star" emblem with a lighted one?

enfox 02-26-2018 02:01 PM

I am having trouble removing the star from my facelifted AMG grill. Is it possible to remove without removing the entire grill? I tried turning it and it would not budge.

dbldpr 02-26-2018 03:57 PM

you may have one of those grill stars that cannot be removed. They are built into the grill from what I have heard. Hopefully someone will know if you car is one of them.

kajtek1 02-26-2018 04:16 PM

I know my aftermarket grill has the star removable and MB is selling those stars separately.
Whenever some grill might have them mounted permanently is to be check.

dbldpr 02-26-2018 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Rabt (Post 7385934)
I have a 2018 GLE350(W) with the Iluminated Star. It only comes on with the ignition(See circled 5amp fuse). I want it to come on with the parking lights........ie-when you unlock the car.

Where can I find a diagram of my fuses so I can tie into the parking lights? I have spent all afternoon looking at my manual and searching online.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...e79f7149e5.jpg

If you have a new ride the fuse diagram is usually located where the spare tire is. look around there

Rabt 02-26-2018 05:34 PM

I looked around the spare tire and didn't find anything. Thanks anyway.

dbldpr 02-26-2018 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Rabt (Post 7391342)
I looked around the spare tire and didn't find anything. Thanks anyway.

did you try calling the dealer and ask where it is located?

Rabt 02-26-2018 05:37 PM

I mapped out and tested each fuse location noting those that came on when you unlocked the car or open the door.
Found one location that worked without a fuse holder in it so it made relocation easy. Star now lights when you lock/unlock or open the door. After you close the door or lock the car the Star turns off about 40 seconds after the parking lights go off.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...a5872bc62b.jpg

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...cc10c50ebd.jpg

Marekbab 02-27-2018 09:55 AM

have a question, the way you did your install of illuminated star ( fuse #23 ) is the star ON when the headlights are on ?
thanks

Rabt 02-27-2018 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by Marekbab (Post 7391890)
have a question, the way you did your install of illuminated star ( fuse #23 ) is the star ON when the headlights are on ?
thanks

Yes......the Star is on when the Headlights are on.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...fa4239f436.jpg

enfox 02-27-2018 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by dbldpr (Post 7391245)
you may have one of those grill stars that cannot be removed. They are built into the grill from what I have heard. Hopefully someone will know if you car is one of them.

My grill is OEM if that helps.

akingzkid 04-13-2018 01:46 PM

Star lights randomly when car is off

Originally Posted by Tump43 (Post 7261043)
Here are my installation pictures:
1)Power Connection to left side of fuse #23; 2) Ground Connection to A/C hose support on shock tower; 3) Wire Routing-A beside driver's side gutter; 3) Wire Routing-B beside driver's side gutter; 4) Wire through top left hand corner of fan cover to back of Grill; 5) Wire connectors behind Star; 6) Done.

Hello,
I installed mine just like you did (into fuse 23) and my star will come on at random times when the car is off. I will come out into my garage and it will be on. I have a feeling it does this all day and night for 15-30 seconds each time. Maybe I wasn't careful to make sure how I put the wire into the fuse slot?? I don't think I was able to get it into the LEFT SIDE. It was hard enough just to get the wire to fit in there and push the fuse back in. Could that be my issue? Maybe it would be better to use the device that someone posted above with the fuse that has the wire connector coming off of it to be able to connect the wire from the star to that instead of cramming it down in there with the fuse itself.

Also, any thoughts on tapping into the wiring for the parking lights or the daytime running lights themselves? I don't have fog lights or I would have tapped into those.

Looking forward to feedback on this. Thanks.

DFWdude 04-18-2018 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by akingzkid (Post 7429613)
Hello,
Also, any thoughts on tapping into the wiring for the parking lights or the daytime running lights themselves? I don't have fog lights or I would have tapped into those.

Even though you don't have fog lights (I don't either) my guess is that the wiring loom for all models in a given year is the same. Meaning that there is likely an unused plug for the fogs (or some other unused light) somewhere. Since the star comes with a connector on the end of the wire, I wonder where it is intended to be plugged in? Whoever designed the product intended for it to be plugged into an existing wire connector somewhere in the the wire loom. Has anyone thought to write the company to ask where?

OR...

Since the lighted star feature is available from MB/dealer, I assume the plug receptor is available on the loom, but unused on those cars that don't have the option installed. Where is the connector?

This would eliminate the need to use a slot in the fusebox, and the need to extend the wire to the fuse box. Short of asking the obvious question of the seller, has anyone found any orphan plug recepticle in the front loom?

Red-Town 04-18-2018 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by DFWdude (Post 7433695)
Even though you don't have fog lights (I don't either) my guess is that the wiring loom for all models in a given year is the same. Meaning that there is likely an unused plug for the fogs (or some other unused light) somewhere. Since the star comes with a connector on the end of the wire, I wonder where it is intended to be plugged in? Whoever designed the product intended for it to be plugged into an existing wire connector somewhere in the the wire loom. Has anyone thought to write the company to ask where?

OR...

Since the lighted star feature is available from MB/dealer, I assume the plug receptor is available on the loom, but unused on those cars that don't have the option installed. Where is the connector?

This would eliminate the need to use a slot in the fusebox, and the need to extend the wire to the fuse box. Short of asking the obvious question of the seller, has anyone found any orphan plug recepticle in the front loom?

I had mine installed at the dealer and purchased the OE star, module and two harness. One for the star to the fuse panel and the other of the module inside the car. So I don't believe the cars have the star connector in the existing wire loom.

69armando 04-20-2018 01:01 PM

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...b9f729edba.png
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...6a41957937.png
I installed mine and I have Distronic Plus, 2012 S550 No error messages!!!!! 3 months ago

DFWdude 04-20-2018 01:12 PM

I've ordered the illuminated star from the link provided near the top. Already shipped, but no commitment as to delivery date.

I want to wire this to the fuse block so that it will run ONLY when the Parking lights/Low beams are on. Does slot #23 do this, or does the light burn all the time?

fxpthl64 04-20-2018 10:26 PM

Got Distronic? Forget about the lighted STAR!

Our 2015 E350 came equipped the "DISTRONC" system and it is great. However, if you have this option, you cannot retrofit an illuminated STAR emblem!

69armando 04-20-2018 11:57 PM

Dealer told me the same thing. Guess what, I have Distronic and I also have the illuminated star with no error messages and everything works perfect.

akingzkid 04-22-2018 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by DFWdude (Post 7435100)
I've ordered the illuminated star from the link provided near the top. Already shipped, but no commitment as to delivery date.

I want to wire this to the fuse block so that it will run ONLY when the Parking lights/Low beams are on. Does slot #23 do this, or does the light burn all the time?

I have a 2014 E350 and has it in 23. It was on at all times (with daytime running lights on and low/high beams. You can’t see it during the day with DRLs on though. However, I found that it would come on ALOT during the day and night. I go in and out of my garage a lot and i would frequently find it on. The car has lot of electronics and it is always clicking and doing something. So fuse 23 is constantly getting energized and causing the Star to come on for a bit and then go off. This weekend I changed it to 24. I found it on at one random time but I will watch it for a while and see if it’s any better than 23.

DFWdude 04-24-2018 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by akingzkid (Post 7429613)
Hello,
I installed mine just like you did (into fuse 23) and my star will come on at random times when the car is off. I will come out into my garage and it will be on. I have a feeling it does this all day and night for 15-30 seconds each time. Maybe I wasn't careful to make sure how I put the wire into the fuse slot?? I don't think I was able to get it into the LEFT SIDE. It was hard enough just to get the wire to fit in there and push the fuse back in. Could that be my issue? Maybe it would be better to use the device that someone posted above with the fuse that has the wire connector coming off of it to be able to connect the wire from the star to that instead of cramming it down in there with the fuse itself.

akingzkid, have you had better luck tapping into the Parking Lights, and if so, what fuse controls them? I don't like the idea of burning the lighted star full-time, and only want it to come on at dusk or later (any situation) when the parking lights go on. I assume the parking light option will also light the star with the other lights when locating the car via unlocking it with the key fob. That would be cool.

akingzkid 04-25-2018 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by DFWdude (Post 7438676)
akingzkid, have you had better luck tapping into the Parking Lights, and if so, what fuse controls them? I don't like the idea of burning the lighted star full-time, and only want it to come on at dusk or later (any situation) when the parking lights go on. I assume the parking light option will also light the star with the other lights when locating the car via unlocking it with the key fob. That would be cool.

I did not tap into the parking lights or fog light wiring. I told myself that I would search around down there looking for some wiring that I could use but I never got around to it. I did switch from fuse 24 to fuse 23. I will see if I notice any difference with it randomly lighting.

DFWdude 04-30-2018 09:50 PM

I installed mine today and used Fuse slot #9. I did not have to add any wire... the wiring supplied with the star was long enough to route (completely hidden), and the fuse tap was added (inside the fusebox).

Works fine when the ACC switch is on, but also runs full time. I would still like to use a fuse position for the parking lights so that it illuminates only at dusk or later. I can't determine a clear-cut slot for this in the engine fusebox ("park leicht" is not listed by that name).. Any suggestions are appreciated.

If "ambient lighting" means the door side interior lighting, and if that is tied to the outside light sensor to work only in low light conditions, then fuse slots #2 or #3 might work, as the ambience interior lighting comes on with the keyfob "unlock" function.

akingzkid 05-01-2018 02:55 PM

I installed mine in both fuse 23 and now in fuse 24. Both of them cause the star to be turned on at random times. Again, this car seems to always be "awake" and the fuse box seems to always be energized. I am still frequently seeing the start lit while the car is sitting in my garage at random times. Is anyone else having this issue?

I wonder if fuse 9 (as DFWdude posted) would be any better? Or maybe fuse 2 or 3 as he posted.

Feedback please from those who have the star installed.

Thanks.

DFWdude 05-01-2018 07:35 PM

Well, Fuses #2, #3, #5, #10 and #18 didn't work.... They are energized with the ignition.

Fuse #9 is also energized with the ignition. But since it governs the cigarette lighter ONLY, I think of it as a Radar Detector/Cigaretter Lighter/Star fuse slot (pretty simple stuff). I can't imagine anything going wrong with slot #9.

Still looking for a parking light slot or any slot that is active only with the lights.

DFWdude 05-07-2018 09:53 PM

Trying to be happy with the star lit all the time. Dusk is a good time to be happy...

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...1f5b6d5f6e.jpg

akingzkid 05-08-2018 02:34 PM

I wanted to give an update. I have tried both fuse 23 and 24 and both allow the star to randomly turn on while the car is sitting in the garage. Not sure what to do at this point. I don't care about the star being lit during daylight because you can't really see it. Also, I think it will last a long time since it is LED. I just don't want it to turn on while the car is off and in the garage.

prestonhendu 05-09-2018 01:42 AM

Had mine installed when I had my grill installed couple of weeks ago. He tapped into the light wiring and guess what....randomly comes on when the car is off ughhh.

akingzkid 05-09-2018 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by prestonhendu (Post 7449860)
Had mine installed when I had my grill installed couple of weeks ago. He tapped into the light wiring and guess what....randomly comes on when the car is off ughhh.

Ughhhhh. How are we going to solve this?

Has anyone had theirs installed at a dealership? If so, does the star light randomly come on when the car is off? If it does not, where did they attach the "hot" wire? Thanks.

prestonhendu 05-09-2018 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by akingzkid (Post 7449929)
Ughhhhh. How are we going to solve this?

Has anyone had theirs installed at a dealership? If so, does the star light randomly come on when the car is off? If it does not, where did they attach the "hot" wire? Thanks.

I'm going to look at it myself. There has to be a point somewhere that's only charged when the lights come on. And no random charging. There has to be....Luxury engineering...lol

F4ST 05-27-2018 11:34 AM

using #9 fuse

Originally Posted by DFWdude (Post 7443532)
I installed mine today and used Fuse slot #9. I did not have to add any wire... the wiring supplied with the star was long enough to route (completely hidden), and the fuse tap was added (inside the fusebox).

Works fine when the ACC switch is on, but also runs full time. I would still like to use a fuse position for the parking lights so that it illuminates only at dusk or later. I can't determine a clear-cut slot for this in the engine fusebox ("park leicht" is not listed by that name).. Any suggestions are appreciated.

If "ambient lighting" means the door side interior lighting, and if that is tied to the outside light sensor to work only in low light conditions, then fuse slots #2 or #3 might work, as the ambience interior lighting comes on with the keyfob "unlock" function.

Any other issues with using fuse #9, Could you identify that fuse please?

Thanks

DFWdude 05-27-2018 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by F4ST (Post 7463574)
Any other issues with using fuse #9, Could you identify that fuse please?

Thanks

I have seen no issues with using Fuse #9. The star lights up when the ignition is on, and turns off (and stays off) when ignition is off. It's the fuse for the cigarette lighter, so it only energizes when the engine is running.

As for location, this has been discussed several times, but it (for a W212 E-Class only) is the blue, 15 amp fuse on the left bank of the engine bay fuse box...(NOT the one highlighted in this photo) Count from lower left, from 1-9...

F4ST 05-27-2018 01:52 PM

Thanks, much appreciated

akingzkid 05-27-2018 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by DFWdude (Post 7463631)
I have seen no issues with using Fuse #9. The star lights up when the ignition is on, and turns off (and stays off) when ignition is off. It's the fuse for the cigarette lighter, so it only energizes when the engine is running.

As for location, this has been discussed several times, but it (for a W212 E-Class only) is the blue, 15 amp fuse on the left bank of the engine bay fuse box...(NOT the one highlighted in this photo) Count from lower left, from 1-9...

The picture you posted is pointing to #24. But you are referring to the only blue one on the left side right? Do you ever find it lit at random times when the car is off?? Thanks.

DFWdude 05-27-2018 02:31 PM

Does this help? (Count from upper Right this time)

http://www.autogenius.info/wp-conten...rtment-bay.jpg

akingzkid 05-27-2018 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by DFWdude (Post 7463669)
Does this help? (Count from upper Right this time)

http://www.autogenius.info/wp-conten...rtment-bay.jpg

unfortunately it doesn’t help. That diagram looks nothing like the picture of the actual fuse box above (same fuse box layout as mine).

DFWdude 05-27-2018 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by akingzkid (Post 7463682)

unfortunately it doesn’t help. That diagram looks nothing like the picture of the actual fuse box above (same fuse box layout as mine).

OMG... It looks EXACTLY like the fuse box pictured, when you rotate the diagram 180° Of course the numbers on the diagram will then be upside down and harder to read...

You're not a blonde are you? (Just having some fun...)

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/87/b9...42c7fb3deb.jpg

Tvuong 02-07-2019 11:16 PM

Hi, can you show me how to run the wire? Where you tab to get power?

Originally Posted by Peter_02AMG (Post 7247851)

hi, can you show me where and how you tab in to get power?

thanks

fleurdlisa 04-21-2019 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Peter_02AMG (Post 7251074)

Hi Peter
I was hoping you could help me. I just bought a 2016 E400 Coupe and I saw your postings about installing the illuminated star and kept all the instructions so I could try and install it. However the link for the seller on Ebay is sold out of them😟 Is there another seller that you could or would recommend that would be this quality and I can follow the same instructions you posted?
thank you so much for your time and for being so detailed in your posts!!

Lisa

TeeEl 04-21-2019 05:53 PM

These are so terrible... I just don't get it. =\

DFWdude 04-23-2019 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by TeeEl (Post 7738022)
These are so terrible... I just don't get it. =\

After 20,800 views in this thread, one might think that if you had nothing positive to add, you wouldn't post at all. Just sayin' .:nix:

TeeEl 04-23-2019 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by DFWdude (Post 7739688)
After 20,800 views in this thread, one might think that if you had nothing positive to add, you wouldn't post at all. Just sayin' .:nix:

I'm positive that they're terrible? :naughty:

But seriously, it's basically the same as putting a backlit "LV" on a Louis Vuitton bag. (Or GG if Gucci is your thing.)

DFWdude 04-23-2019 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by TeeEl (Post 7739842)
I'm positive that they're terrible? :naughty:

Then start your own thread saying how terrible it is. Let's see if you get 21,000 views.

Confuscious say, "Before you speak, ask yourself... Is it kind? Is it true? Is it necessary? Does it improve on the silence?"

TeeEl 04-23-2019 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by DFWdude (Post 7739876)
Then start your own thread saying how terrible it is. Let's see if you get 21,000 views.

Confuscious say, "Before you speak, ask yourself... Is it kind? Is it true? Is it necessary? Does it improve on the silence?"

Ah, I forgot. Popularity means quality. Like Budweiser and hip hop.

DFWdude 04-23-2019 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by TeeEl (Post 7739879)
Ah, I forgot. Popularity means quality. Like Budweiser and hip hop.

What? You don't like Budweiser? :rolf:

Start a thread in Off Topic about it. There is a lot of "quality" there. Your comments will fit right in...

Done with this BS. Moving on...

TeeEl 04-23-2019 05:36 PM

Aww... I was having fun. :mercy:

Roney R 05-31-2019 03:40 AM

Illuminated Star Installation

Can anyone help me with a illuminated star installation. I have purchased one for my 2016 E 350 from amazon for 39$, for which one dealer said $ 715.00 with installation and for parts.

DFWdude 05-31-2019 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by Roney R (Post 7768156)
Can anyone help me with a illuminated star installation. I have purchased one for my 2016 E 350 from amazon for 39$, for which one dealer said $ 715.00 with installation and for parts.

Installation is covered several times in this very thread. The instructions that come with the kit will also work.

fleurdlisa 05-31-2019 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by Roney R (Post 7768156)

Hi Roney

I followed the directions that I found in this thread from
Peter_02AGM. As DFWdude mentioned there is a lot of info here...The light I got from eBay did not have instructions either by the way...
i also did not need extra wire to reach the fuse box and also discovered that to remove your star you need to turn it (gently) counter clockwise... hope this helps.
It is also a bit more subtle than what the pictures show
i just love it! So fun and makes me smile :)
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...566ae1f9a.jpeg
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...2eb2dc074.jpeg

ENDZLOinnaBENZO 08-25-2019 04:18 PM

looking for an illuminated star for my c219

please please please if anyone can help me with this i would greatly appreciate it
i know this is an old thread but,
ive searched everywhere on this forum and asked Ebay sellers as well as Amazon...Ive even tried searching Youtube but i’ve yet to find an answer
im looking for an illuminated star for my 2008 Cls550
every star ive found says its for a different or newer model
my star doesn’t twist out so i have to remove the grill to access it which ive done and the procedure is simple enough
(removing the star from the grill however...PITA!! but definitely doable) i haven’t tackled that yet as i still haven’t found an illuminated star to replace the OEM one with and i only want to mess with those plastic tabs ONCE
ive measured my OEM star and its a lilttle over 6 1/2 inches wide (havent measured depth) im comfortable with the wiring and what i would need to do to get it lit all the time or only with headlights-no issues there...my only question is has anyone with an 08 Cls550 done this procedure? which star did they purchase? if there isn’t an exact fit im also comfortable doing MINOR alterations to make it work if anyone has instructions on whats involved...or also if a whole new grill was or needs to be ordered that’s compatible with the 08 Cls550 that WOULD fit an illuminated star thats being offered by Ebay or Amazon??
puhhhh leeeeez!!!! anyone help!! even if the answer is just a mere, “sorry kid... trade up for a newer model and envy the other guys til you do”... ill take it lol but searching to no avail and seeing pics of everyone else’s illuminated stars has driven me crazy
thanks in advance to anyone out there willing to read all this and an even more special thank you to anyone who tries to reaolve this issue with me!!! You guys rock and this is an awesome community!!!
my email- mistah7aitch@gmail.com
cell- 336-392-9266

raj.134 11-26-2019 12:19 PM

Hi, I installed the star in my e250 2014 right hand drive and noticed it does not come on when I unlock the car. Only comes on when ignition is switched to on. I tried using fuse 23 and 24.. any body know what I can do?
tap into drl wire?

DFWdude 11-26-2019 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by raj.134 (Post 7913052)
Hi, I installed the star in my e250 2014 right hand drive and noticed it does not come on when I unlock the car. Only comes on when ignition is switched to on. I tried using fuse 23 and 24.. any body know what I can do?
tap into drl wire?

This thread has discussed several times how the OEM and aftermarket stars work. The aftermarket star wired to the forward fuse box lights only when the ignition is on, not when unlocked. The original OEM star (much more expensive) lights when unlocking the car, but not while driving.

One asks for trouble if trying to splice into the headlight assembly wiring to run the light with the parking lights (when unlocking). So this is not recommended.

nightspd 11-27-2019 02:27 AM

My 2016 E350 came with the Illuminated Star which i'm assuming was OEM since it was previously a lease vehicle. Did these come from the factory installed at all?

raj.134 11-27-2019 03:27 AM

Originally Posted by DFWdude (Post 7913244)
This thread has discussed several times how the OEM and aftermarket stars work. The aftermarket star wired to the forward fuse box lights only when the ignition is on, not when unlocked. The original OEM star (much more expensive) lights when unlocking the car, but not while driving.

One asks for trouble if trying to splice into the headlight assembly wiring to run the light with the parking lights (when unlocking). So this is not recommended.

Is there any other way to connect to the DRL wire? or a safe way?

DFWdude 11-27-2019 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by nightspd (Post 7913712)
My 2016 E350 came with the Illuminated Star which i'm assuming was OEM since it was previously a lease vehicle. Did these come from the factory installed at all?

Yes, some cars had these installed at the factory. And you can have the system installed at the dealer afterwards, BUT it will be very expensive for what it is. If it is a genuine, OEM star assembly, it will be integrated within the wiring harness and electronics of the car.

To determine which, trace the wire from the star in the grille. If it goes to the forward fuse box, it's aftermarket. If it disappears into some other harness, it's most likely OEM.

I know it sounds like work, but one should read this entire thread to determine what to do.

DFWdude 11-27-2019 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by raj.134 (Post 7913724)
Is there any other way to connect to the DRL wire? or a safe way?

Nope. Zero, zip, nada. If you have already tapped into your DRLs and are now worrying why they do not light during the day (your other thread), then you already know the problems have begun.

Bottom line of all the experience here is to install any aftermarket grille star completely outside and apart (independent) from the car's lighting system. Doing otherwise turns a $30 lighting gimmick into a problem costing hundreds of dollars (and more).

I know it sounds like work, but one should read this entire thread to determine what to do. It could avoid lots of headache.

raj.134 11-27-2019 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by DFWdude (Post 7913764)
Nope. Zero, zip, nada. If you have already tapped into your DRLs and are now worrying why they do not light during the day (your other thread), then you already know the problems have begun.

Bottom line of all the experience here is to install any aftermarket grille star completely outside and apart (independent) from the car's lighting system. Doing otherwise turns a $30 lighting gimmick into a problem costing hundreds of dollars (and more).

I know it sounds like work, but one should read this entire thread to determine what to do. It could avoid lots of headache.

No I have not tapped into any wires yet. Yes, i understand the risks with the splicing issue. F

Wfrager 11-27-2019 10:24 AM

I installed the star when I swapped to the GT grille. I also installed an illuminated AMG badge since the new grille doesn't have one.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...b6515590c4.jpg

Red-Town 11-27-2019 12:37 PM

I had mine installed at the dealer for $480. Star, Module and harness. Star lights up when I open/lock doors and only turns on when headlights turn on, does not come on with DRLs.

jwb007 09-21-2020 07:58 PM

You are a good soul, brought fort from good seed with loving nurturing. Mank lack these qualities, despite what side of the division they are on, whether MAGA or BLM.

Respectfully
Arjuna

DFWdude 09-21-2020 08:38 PM

Huh? Wrong Forum, I think...