E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Couple questions about music storage

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-22-2017, 10:08 PM

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts
2014 E550 Black on Black
Originally Posted by Darel
Actually my old iPhone has the 30-pin connector that the car has. So how do I get the music into iTunes? When I connect the USB to my laptop it just comes up "Apple iPhone".
You can load music multiple ways. You can buy the song in iTunes and it will automatically get loaded to your library. You can take your existing music CDs and put them in your computer CD/DVD drive and iTunes will rip them to your library. Lastly you can go to YouTube, copy the URL of a song and convert it to an MP3 and then save it to your library. I have a combo of all three of the above and have several thousands of songs.
Old 11-22-2017, 10:24 PM

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts
'76 Triumph TR6, '14 W212 Sport, '09 Audi S5 4.2
OK. I'm downloading iTunes. I'll post back if I can't figure this out from there. Thanks guys!
Old 11-22-2017, 11:33 PM

OK, after 4 hours I couldn't figure this Apple crap out.

I am trying to transfer music from my laptop to my iPhone.

I downloaded iTunes on my laptop. Worked fine.

I have an app labeled "Music" on my iPhone. This does nothing. Searched for "iTunes" in my app store and downloaded "iTunes Connect" and "iTunes Remote". Couldn't find anything just called "iTunes", unless that "Music" app is it. If it does, I can't figure out how to sync anything.

iTunes Connect does nothing. iTunes Remote absolutely does connect my phone and my laptop, and immediately all my music comes up - as long as the phone is plugged into the laptop. As soon as I close either program or unplug the phone that connection is lost. It never actually downloads that music to the phone, and I really can't find anything in these stupid minimal iPhone menus that does.

How the hell do I just get the damn music stored on the damn phone so I can play it in the damn car?
Old 11-23-2017, 12:28 AM

OK, I got it to download the songs to the old iphone.

However COMAND doesn't organize the songs on the phone into albums. It's just a list of 400 songs in alphabetical order. It doesn't even give you the option to "search by cover" or "search by folder" - those options are grayed out. At least with the USB option, once you select that, it takes a minute or two to organize the files into albums. But, of course, then I can't actually charge my (normal, Android, non-30-pin-iPhone) cellphone because the USB port is tied up.

So here's where I'm at:
Music Register: Takes forever to load. Works otherwise, but not enough time exists in this multiverse for me to download all the music I want to it. Plus, can't load MP3s.
SD Card: Just doesn't work on my car. Not sure why. Unit works better after recent warranty service but still not great and certainly not usable.
CDs: Work perfect. Only 6 of them.
Sirius: Works great. Can't pick what to listen to.
USB: Works better than SD, so far. Was going to let it sit overnight to see if it retained its' album memory but then I started playing around with the old iPhone. Maybe tomorrow I'll mess with it a little more. Can't charge all my Android phones (in other words, all of them) with it in.
iPhone: Works well. NO option to organize songs into albums despite that's how they are stored in iTunes. Don't want to have Danzig's "Mother" followed up by Natalie Merchant.

Has anyone tried one of those multiple-USB-splitters in the console port to plug both USB-based memory in as well as plug in phones to use as a charger?

I'm getting whiny and frustrated because from what I see of the system, this all should just be so much easier.

Thoughts?

D
Old 11-23-2017, 12:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
I assume Music Library is just new name for Music Register. That records CD's and MP3's to the hard drive. Read the COMAND manual for how to do it because there are variations and tricks.
This is what I learned from recording to Music Register. I have over 1,000 files (songs) recorded and use it except when I use FM radio on very short trips. I also use the six CD changer a lot for CD's I do not wish to load into MR, but occasionally wish to hear. Really miss lack of multi-CD changers in new cars.
Don't depend on Gracenote to get album titles correct. Verify after recording and then use Folder - Options to change errors.
I discovered that if you record CD's with multiple artists, it will go to Various folder. Then you have several sub-folders under the Various category.
I also use the Folder - Options to change the titles of Folders (CD's) to what I want to show on the screen. I prefer artists name to title of the CD unless it contains various artists.
When you start recording, you can select Folder to where you wish to send the recording. For example, you can have several CD's under one artist's name all in one folder.. Instead of listed alphabetically by CD title name.
Takes a while, but something you can do on trips of 30 minutes or longer. On MR, you can start new recording while moving, but you can't use options to change titles.