MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W212) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212-109/)
-   -   New rear tires (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212/687088-new-rear-tires.html)

denysserg 10-27-2017 10:43 AM

New rear tires

2014 E350 37000 miles. Rear tires completely worn bald. Continental ProContact 265 35r18. Should I buy another pair (found bad reviews on amazon) or something else? Any opinions would be helpful. AMG rims

Dealer quoted $695. I found this tire cost around $230 each. Any recommendations to save and do it in places like Discount Tire or in dealer?

KEY08 10-27-2017 11:27 AM

I use discount tire for all of my purchases. I have always had good luck with Continental tires on my Mercedes cars. I am using a summer tire( Bridgestone Potenza S-04PP) on 19" E63 wheels at the moment and will be switching back to my Conti tires in a month. They are the Conti ProContact as you have. I have tried the Extreme Contact DWS before and did not like them as much as the ProContact.
I'm sure others will also chime in with their preference. Also, I would not run any of these tires down to a bald condition. It is your life and your passenger's lives you are playing with.

denysserg 10-27-2017 11:30 AM

KEY08, I just bought a car. Trying to fix that asap

abqhudson 10-27-2017 11:35 AM

Actually, 37,000 milers for rear tire does not sound too bad for these cars.

Discount has always been good to me, especially when I had tire trouble away from home.

Does your car have staggered wheels? If so, tire tread warranty is cut in half.

I found decent Falkens (don't know that they are still available) at Discount with 75000 mile warranty. Seem to be good tires, comfortable/quiet/less expensive.
YMMV.

KEY08 10-27-2017 11:42 AM

Understood. I hope you bought from a private party as dealers in most states are required by law to meet minimum tire tread depths when selling used cars.

Mud 10-27-2017 12:51 PM

Discount Tire here as well, have used them for years. Dependable and the prices have been fine. One thing I do however is go over each rim w the mgr before any work and note unblemished condition in the work order. Never have had an issue with scrapes.

denysserg 10-27-2017 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by KEY08 (Post 7297189)
Understood. I hope you bought from a private party as dealers in most states are required by law to meet minimum tire tread depths when selling used cars.

Oh. Did not know about that. I'm in TX. Looks like everything less than 2/32 is kind of illegal. It was a dealership and I'm going to contact them about this issue. Thanks a lot for the awesome advise!

denysserg 10-27-2017 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Mud (Post 7297243)
Discount Tire here as well, have used them for years. Dependable and the prices have been fine. One thing I do however is go over each rim w the mgr before any work and note unblemished condition in the work order. Never have had an issue with scrapes.

I also used Discount Tire several times. However I think they slightly damaged my rims a couple of times. Nothing serious but still not perfect. It is a good advise to go over the rims with manager and take some pictures as well. Thanks!

KEY08 10-27-2017 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by denysserg (Post 7297325)
Oh. Did not know about that. I'm in TX. Looks like everything less than 2/32 is kind of illegal. It was a dealership and I'm going to contact them about this issue. Thanks a lot for the awesome advise!

Good deal. Hopefully, you can get something towards a new set.

Mud 10-27-2017 03:58 PM

Please take this as food for thought and not being down on your car. I'm thinking that if the dealer sold the car w bald tires could there be any other things not brought to your attention that could really ping you later? Any sort of warranty? Its always recommended to get a third party inspection plus check the VIN for MB service history before buying a used MB. These are expensive to fix , maybe could save you some grief later on.
I bought mine from 3rd party dealer but I did go through the checks even though the mileage was still within factory warranty to ensure no big issues and that it was eligible for extended warranty.
Just mentioning as something to be aware of after the "new" wears off.

denysserg 10-27-2017 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by Mud (Post 7297453)
Please take this as food for thought and not being down on your car. I'm thinking that if the dealer sold the car w bald tires could there be any other things not brought to your attention that could really ping you later? Any sort of warranty? Its always recommended to get a third party inspection plus check the VIN for MB service history before buying a used MB. These are expensive to fix , maybe could save you some grief later on.
I bought mine from 3rd party dealer but I did go through the checks even though the mileage was still within factory warranty to ensure no big issues and that it was eligible for extended warranty.
Just mentioning as something to be aware of after the "new" wears off.

Yes, it does have half a year of manyfacturer warranty plus I have purchased 3y/60 000 miles bumper to bumper warranty.
Service and repairments are expansive. I do understand that. I am not good at checking cars and do not know mechanic I can trust.

Mud 10-27-2017 05:43 PM

Great! That warranty is a big help. BTW post up some pics we always like those.

denysserg 11-07-2017 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Mud (Post 7297538)
Great! That warranty is a big help. BTW post up some pics we always like those.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...86a404193b.jpg

cetialpha5 11-07-2017 01:53 PM

Any luck with the dealer? This site has those tires for $211 and free shipping. Got a set of Purecontacts from them, but in retrospect I probably should have used their prices to get the local tire shops to price match.

http://www.tiresdirect.net/TireSizeS...atio=35&rim=18

denysserg 11-07-2017 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by cetialpha5 (Post 7305947)
Any luck with the dealer? This site has those tires for $211 and free shipping. Got a set of Purecontacts from them, but in retrospect I probably should have used their prices to get the local tire shops to price match.

They are willing to help. Still waiting. Thanks for the link.

KEY08 11-07-2017 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by cetialpha5 (Post 7305947)

That's a great price.

rediesel 11-07-2017 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by KEY08 (Post 7297179)
I have tried the Extreme Contact DWS before and did not like them as much as the ProContact. I'm sure others will also chime in with their preference.

I had the DWS and don't like the pro-contact as much. The pro-contact are quieter, but don't seem to have as much grip.

KEY08 11-07-2017 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by rediesel (Post 7306031)
I had the DWS and don't like the pro-contact as much. The pro-contact are quieter, but don't seem to have as much grip.

I would agree with that assessment between the two. I prefer the quieter tire. I have no issues with grip in the summer, because I am on a summer high performance tire now and switch over to the ContiProContact for the winter months. With 4Matic the Conti has plenty of grip for my conditions here in Chicago.